What's new

Khaos Reigns Story Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Subby Z

Mortal
I view everything after Armageddon as sort of non-canon. MK9 made the promise of being a new start to the series by retelling the old timeline with some twists, then immediately jumped 20 years into the future the next game, and then reset the universe again after that. So, who really cares about the MK9-MK11 story? Now, MK1 is like, "We're telling an entirely new story with characters that look and sound like the original characters, but are mostly totally different and written by people who have no ties to the original story." I'd say I view it closer to MK fan-fiction.

I honestly don't know what the plan is moving forward because this multiverse crap means literally anything can happen for any reason. Considering NRS seems to take heavy inspiration from Marvel, only a few years after it's fallen out of fashion, they'll probably implement whatever bad ideas Marvel is throwing out right now into MK2. What is Marvel currently doing that everyone hates? My guess is MK2 will have some of that in it.
I’ll give it to NRS though I think they created some unique and interesting characters in the NRS timeline which I hope are brought back. Well particularly MKX. I think the trifecta of Kotal, D’Vorah, and Erron Black were great concepts and I want to see them back one day. I can agree with you though that the story for the last few games has been bad but I hope they don’t just toss those 3 away.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I’ll give it to NRS though I think they created some unique and interesting characters in the NRS timeline which I hope are brought back. Well particularly MKX. I think the trifecta of Kotal, D’Vorah, and Erron Black were great concepts and I want to see them back one day. I can agree with you though that the story for the last few games has been bad but I hope they don’t just toss those 3 away.
I agree with you on the Outworld characters. I really do think those were great characters that deserve to come back again. I don't know why, but someone at NRS has the biggest hate-boner for Kotal Kahn.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
Yeah guys I’m applying for a job as a writer for NRS and sending the MK fanfiction I wrote when I was 12 with the application, surely it can’t be worse than whatever the fuck I just watched

it’s sad because the base game’s story was pretty decent compared to MK11 at least, the first half even made some sense! But this is probably the worst story mode they’ve ever made

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
TBH I went in with zero expectations and everything was kinda of what I expected: predictable plot, the second act completely bloated by the maze/khaoseum sequence (took absolutely too long) only for them to rush the third act - Havik's fate isn't even shown lmao. Noob saibot got transformed and less than 10 mins later, got his mind cleansed.

Another thing I didn't see anyone here comment: how absurdly LAZY it was for them to REPEAT fights with the same two character pairs with the lamest excuses ever: "oh, you beat li mei and reiko? havik will revive them, so fight them again. oh, you beat shao and sindel? well, they will switch sides so you can face shao as the primary character now. oh, takeda and kenshi got beaten? not really, because reasons, they are back on their feet again" rinse and repeat.

The only thing I thought was unexpected and kinda hype was seeing Deadly Alliance Quan Chi vs Li Mei. Had me hoping for a microsecond that they would explain/alude/hint at that somehow, somewhere, the characters from the MIDWAY era were still canon and around in some forgotten timeline. Nope. Just skins with no explanation.
The old Midway characters are still canon...they are all the Titans. LOL!

In fact, I just now realized that there could be multiple versions of each Titan as MK11 was also a mash-up game. There could be duplicate Titans of each character from the OG timeline and the new NRS timeline.

God I hate the new MK storyline/direction.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The old Midway characters are still canon...they are all the Titans. LOL!

In fact, I just now realized that there could be multiple versions of each Titan as MK11 was also a mash-up game. There could be duplicate Titans of each character from the OG timeline and the new NRS timeline.

God I hate the new MK storyline/direction.
Not really, as the Titans are the MK9/MK11 version of characters. The midway versions were things like Mileena being a 10 thousand year old clone (and not created in the time of the events of MK2).

BUT at this point we might as well have the OG Midway timeline having titans crashing into other timelines and fucking things up even further.

Onilordasmodeus

It is the same dude tho. No matter how many times you restart a timeline, Geras is a fixed point in time. Liu Kang's timeline is the original timeline, aka the MK11 timeline. That's the same Geras that was in MK11. And even in MK11, Geras was sick of Kronika endlessly restarting time and putting Geras out there to try and fix the unfixable. Liu Kang let Geras rest, which is all Geras ever wanted.
Is that true though? I mean sure, Shang SAID that his and Liu's battle put off a ton of energy thus spawning more timelines, but how could he really even know? Both Liu and Shang are unreliable narrators as they were and are lost just as much as anyone else when it comes to timeline shenanigans.

And Geras SAID he was a fixed point in time, but Liu "created" him, thus his "fixed point in time" is sometime after the creation of both the hourglass and the [insert Time Titan here]. Is he a robot that spawns spontaneously from the hourglass at a specific point in time that is susceptible to being "reprogrammed"?

Onilordasmodeus

I view everything after Armageddon as sort of non-canon. MK9 made the promise of being a new start to the series by retelling the old timeline with some twists, then immediately jumped 20 years into the future the next game, and then reset the universe again after that. So, who really cares about the MK9-MK11 story? Now, MK1 is like, "We're telling an entirely new story with characters that look and sound like the original characters, but are mostly totally different and written by people who have no ties to the original story." I'd say I view it closer to MK fan-fiction.

I honestly don't know what the plan is moving forward because this multiverse crap means literally anything can happen for any reason. Considering NRS seems to take heavy inspiration from Marvel, only a few years after it's fallen out of fashion, they'll probably implement whatever bad ideas Marvel is throwing out right now into MK2. What is Marvel currently doing that everyone hates? My guess is MK2 will have some of that in it.
This is where I'm at. The Mortal Kombat Story ended. Though I am still a bit salty over the MK9 - MK11 storyline, The MK1 story and beyond is just filler. It's like Boruto to me.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m honestly glad MK11 just ended the characters I’m invested in.

9-11 Kuai Liang, Cage, Raiden, and Scorpion got complete stories and won’t be able to be ruined. I think Bi Han is the only entertaining character in the new games, and only because of how much of a dumb asshole he is all the time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Elder God
Does anyone view this game as non canon?

I kinda do haha. I just don’t even view this as MK. Almost like well they tried something different, but that different was bad. Moving on.

I have zero desire to continue in this timeline. Do you guys think they’ll wrap this timeline up in this game with dlc or continue it into the next game?
I mean, all they seem to do is redo the entire MK history every time there’s a reboot. This time they changed a lot, but it’s the same premise.

I haven’t played Khaos Reigns and probably never will unless it becomes free, but from everything I’ve heard, it just feels like random filler to give more SP story & content

Plop

Kombatant
I liked Havik as a main villain, I hope we can try this again sometime in a timeline/universe that actually fkn matters with a new write

Onilordasmodeus

Not really, as the Titans are the MK9/MK11 version of characters. The midway versions were things like Mileena being a 10 thousand year old clone (and not created in the time of the events of MK2).

BUT at this point we might as well have the OG Midway timeline having titans crashing into other timelines and fucking things up even further.
Honestly, it’s kind of exhausting to think about, and I don’t even want to try making sense of it anymore.

NRS has broken Mortal Kombat. I’d say it’s beyond repair, though they could always reboot it. That being said, I’ve lost faith in their ability to handle the story.

Mortal Kombat’s story has always been flawed, with retcons and what feel like knee-jerk reactions. The narrative wasn’t always perfect, but there was a progression you could follow, and the logic made sense.

Take Scorpion, for example. He starts off on a revenge quest hunting Bi-Han and achieves his revenge, only to find out Kuai Liang exists and that he is seemingly no better than his own killer. By the end of MK3, he's a "wildcard" who helps defeat the villain, but then gets manipulated again into hunting Kuai Liang in the next game. But eventually, he pieces it all together and finally hunts his true enemy.

Then there's Kung Lao, who alternates between being a humble monk and a brash young upstart (thanks to the two personalities they gave him in the original timeline). Either he’s a pacifist who wants to avoid the tournament, or he’s driven by a desire to prove himself as great as his ancestor. Regardless, he ends up fighting alongside his cousin Liu Kang in the final battle against Shao Kahn in MK3. His death is what motivates Liu to find the strength to defeat Shao Kahn. Later, Kung Lao resurfaces, having faked his death to live a peaceful life, but is inevitably dragged back into the fight. Eventually, he witnesses Liu Kang’s death, and destiny falls on him. But in the end, he still fails and dies. Brutal.

I could keep going with Scorpion and Kung Lao’s stories, or so many other characters, but the point is, the story used to be fun. Now, it feels dull. I think the movie-like format is part of the problem—it limits the kinds of stories they can tell.

This is why I loved the open-world Konquest mode. It allowed them to tell multiple short, complete stories around different characters, while still weaving in an overarching narrative. Mortal Kombat thrives on the small, individual stories that let each character grow as they move forward. But now, there’s little to no growth. They just recycle old material. And when we do see character growth, it’s almost always at the expense of another character, turning former champions and powerhouses into jobbers.