What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kenshi KENSHI VS THE WORLD (The Kenshi MU Knowledge Thread!)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Because it's NEVER too early to theory fight and do our homework on the vast assortment of character and variation matchups we have ahead of us...

((LET US BEGIN))
This thread here will be the epicenter of discussion as our beloved swordsman and his best pal sword sidekick adventure together into every realm of Kombat and field of battle that MKX has to offer.
I'm talking strengths and weaknesses, variation favoritism, optimal range for punishes and avoiding getting outflanked, preferable stages and interactions...the whole nine yards, guys and gals.
So anything you discover, any sort of matchup-specific useful tech or information, will be right at home here until and after the game's been in motion long enough to start putting together some numbers and build legitimate cases for who are the strongest and weakest fights for our sightless hero.

VS D'VORAH:

My first (and only) major contributory case to make: Swarm Queen D'Vorah VS Kenjutsu Kenny.
I spent a good deal of time watching and battling one @MagnetoHalfway 's Queen, and I have to say that this is going to be a mindfuck of a MU for ages to come. Because while Deb has the damage and punishment advantage, especially on knockdown depending on how risky you want to be with your butter, lack of a teleport and relatively easy-to-see-coming specials leave her wide open to killing momentum with the BF3 grab, which when I'm not brand-free-fucking-new and I can move and execute reliably, will go a long way in negating Bug Throw cancels and the freaky Low Bug Lift.
It's only like day 3, I know, but I have this match burned into my damned head, so im gonna do my best to gain any measure of expertise I can against Debbie for future use. Myself and others are all in consensus that it looks like she in popularity is going to be the Kung Lao of this game, at least in the opening months, so the more we know and learn about dealing with her, the better.

What say you, fellow handicapped warriors? What have your experiences been so far? Anyone we should be worried about or not so worried about? Let's get to work, my friends...

Last edited:
I know quan can punish possessed tele flurry at fs with ex trance or pillar, and he can walk backwards and released bat and trance, but kenshi can armor tp in between quans traps and has a footsie advantage

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I know quan can punish possessed tele flurry at fs with ex trance or pillar, and he can walk backwards and released bat and trance, but kenshi can armor tp in between quans traps and has a footsie advantage
I'm hoping I'll be able to stab him to death on knockdown since he has just as meh a wakeup game as I do, especially since Kenjutsu gives me the 2x overhead with Sword Spin.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
@Pig Of The Hut , @Blackula , @FrothyOmen , have you guys run into any particular characters or variations yet that have really caught your attention? I know it's still early, but you guys are OG's and thus have that reliable third eye for knowing when someone's going to stand out of the crowd, so I want the Kenny Collective to have as big a headstart as it can trying to get the facts straight and the pimp hands strong.

(I now find myself wishing he had a Godlike/starts-with-a-G variation, so I could tell people I main Kenny G. My mom would be so proud.)

@Lt. Box im bad tho. You mean other characters? Sonya and Cassie both seem excellent right now. Great meterless damage, stupid pressure. Sonya outfootsies Kenshi's barge with her divekick, you have to play around that divekick and it's kind of hard. Possessed RK naked is dece in that mu though since a lot of the times you'll max range a sonya fishing for divekicks just outside barge range

Scorpion seems pretty high tier this time around as well, inferno > summoner or w/e > sword variation

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
@Lt. Box im bad tho. You mean other characters? Sonya and Cassie both seem excellent right now. Great meterless damage, stupid pressure. Sonya outfootsies Kenshi's barge with her divekick, you have to play around that divekick and it's kind of hard. Possessed RK naked is dece in that mu though since a lot of the times you'll max range a sonya fishing for divekicks just outside barge range

Scorpion seems pretty high tier this time around as well, inferno > summoner or w/e > sword variation
I am so not looking forward to dealing with either of those two -.- ...although Scorpion doesn't seem nearly as frustrating, even in Inferno stance. It feels like he's essentially going to be the same kind of fight as MK9: bait Teleports, try and stay out of the Vortex, avoid shit that's on fire, the usual.

SCORPION PLAYERS: do any of you know if Kenny can reflect the Inferno projectiles? I know the Low Grab is out and the behind-the-back one probably is as well since it never comes near Sento, but I have to imagine the downward Noob Kick would at least be sent back into the sky ala Sektor's Up Missles.

@Pig Of The Hut , I wonder what the over/under is that there'll be any insane Sektor-ish X-Ray reflect shenanigans...

FEED ME KNOWLEDGE BLIND MEN

The game isn't even a week old yet, it's hard to have MU discussion when nobody knows what the hell they're doing yet

It'll be a few months before this thread picks up

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The game isn't even a week old yet, it's hard to have MU discussion when nobody knows what the hell they're doing yet

It'll be a few months before this thread picks up
Oh of course. It's waaaay too early to tell anything definitive. But it's also never too early to get sights on certain things, tactics or character-specific stuff or otherwise, that could help Kennys everywhere maximize their swordsmanship.
This is my #1 mission in MKX (besides destroying Tanya), to be a resource of knowledge and a professor for all Kenshis big and small, so our guy and his players can be the best they can be from right out of the gate to the end of time.

Example: always keep your thumb on the BF3 trigger if you're fighting a character or player who's cancel-happy. A-List Cage, D'Vorah, Liu, etc., anyone who has it at their disposal. Even knowing you have the means to snatch them out of their setups before they can shenanigan you will force them into your hand.

Even little ideas like that. Anything that comes to mind.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I'm really have A LOT of trouble with my friends Dragon Fire Liu and Shin RYu Takeda

With Liu he does full screen armor dash kick and I block, but cannot throw ot d2 him and 11 is too far and b1 is to slow so he just gets in for free and spams in all the time on wake up. How do I stop that?

For Takeda, he just teleports and my best punish is D2 which isnt enough bc he still spams it and the one time he does land it I lose a huge chunk of my life! and he is ALWAYS NJP and that whipe seems to HIT FROM THE ENTIRE SCREEN!

how can I punish this?

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Also, they both do this annoying thing of spamming d3 or d1 and I cant not out poke them and sometimes they break through EX RK armor and its so frustrating and if I just block too long they throw me! ARGH! play online is really frustrating, haha Kenshi, why are your normals so booty :(

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I'm gonna keep him on deck, but most of my focus at this point is gonna be Sub-Zero, if not permanently then until someone else sticks out.

I miss Cyrax.
I like cyrax because of the grenades are so cool and sound cool. I'd insta main him.

That way I hope Predator has nades

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Any advice on SubZero's slide? it goes through telefury or push, and whe you block it, he blocks your counterattacks. (Im playing balanced)
His slide shud be block punished by any of kenshi normals you are mistiming the punish. F32 rk pr 421 rk into combo shud do the job, hit practice mode to get the timing down

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I like cyrax because of the grenades are so cool and sound cool. I'd insta main him.

That way I hope Predator has nades
The thing of it is, I feel like the Run mechanic alone would make it WAY less scary to deal with something like the old mine field.
What I want is the Net. I don't need resets, I don't need the Buzz Saw, or the AA Throw or Ragdoll Kick...if they give Predator anything close to the Net, no one else in this game will come close to him in appealing to me other than a maybe-one-day-buffed Kenshi. I still like this guy more than anyone else on deck so far, which is why I'm always gonna be part of the Ken fold and keep him in my pocket, it's just tragic that he seems to be as lacking as he is.