What's new

Match-up Discussion Kenshi SMH

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Because for somebody that talks as much as he does, he should have tournament experience to back it up. Saying Kenshi is an EZ mode character is the first controversial thing I've ever said, and I didn't even create the thread nor did I bring it up in the KENSHI forum. And then all these people jump down my throat like they need to prove a point lol.

I'm a casual player and I like it that way. I enjoy and appreciate what the top players do for the community because I'm a gamer and I love mortal kombat, but thats not my lifestyle and I don't pretend it is.

Altaire speaks as if he's a top player, which he isn't. I'm a casual player, but he's a pretender.

That's why I bring it up.

Altaire

Noob
I'm a casual player and I like it that way
Then stop trying to debate the game at a competitive level, and stop getting your nuts in a knot when your opinion is shot down. If you're a "casual player", you shouldn't even care.

I don't need to be a "top player" to know what the hell I'm talking about. According to a number of "top players", I've done a damn good job of proving that. Stay free.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Because for somebody that talks as much as he does, he should have tournament experience to back it up. Saying Kenshi is an EZ mode character is the first controversial thing I've ever said, and I didn't even create the thread nor did I bring it up in the KENSHI forum. And then all these people jump down my throat like they need to prove a point lol.

I'm a casual player and I like it that way. I enjoy and appreciate what the top players do for the community because I'm a gamer and I love mortal kombat, but thats not my lifestyle and I don't pretend it is.

Altaire speaks as if he's a top player, which he isn't. I'm a casual player, but he's a pretender.

That's why I bring it up.
He may not have oodles of tournament experience, but he certainly has more than you, and has actually talked to and played with top players themselves. If anything, he knows more about the game than a number of people here. I'd trust his word over a lot of players, really. He may not be a top player, but he isn't stupid lol.

Also, if you're a a casual player, with a casual mindset, who has never entered a tournament, why are you trying to give your opinion on how easy Kenshi is to use? No one's against opinions, but make sure you actually know your shit before you start making bold statements. You are speaking about the game at a casual level, in which I guess he's easy...but at that level, the entire cast is easy to use.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a casual player, but if that's the case, why are you sticking your nose into stuff that pertains to competitive play and you admittedly don't care about competitive play whatsoever? Trust me, things are WAY different when you play in a competitive player's mindset.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Just for the record, in the Top 5 Project from 2 months ago, I was the ONLY person to put Kenshi in their top 5.

I also think Smoke is a good counter pick for Kenshi.

EDIT: I guess Pig picked him too. Was that an addendum to your top 5? I distinctly remember the total count for Kenshi being "1" when the article first went up.
Yea I change it half way through

I think he is currently 3rd or 4th

I also think vs smoke it's in kenshi favor

THTB

Yea I change it half way through

I think he is currently 3rd or 4th

Yeah, my opinion on Kenshi changed a while ago, too. When I started to mess around with Kenshi for a little bit, I was like "Wait, does anyone else think Kenshi is top 5 or am I just crazy? WHY IS HE NOT TALKED ABOUT??? HE'S RIDICULOUS LOL!!!"

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
"Also, if you're a a casual player, with a casual mindset, who has never entered a tournament, why are you trying to give your opinion on how easy Kenshi is to use? No one's against opinions, but make sure you actually know your shit before you start making bold statements. You are speaking about the game at a casual level, in which I guess he's easy...but at that level, the entire cast is easy to use."

I understand your point. I'm just going by what I see. The entire community has problems with Kenshi, and I think he's the most complained about character besides Kabal. They both have incredible zoning, but Kabal has a higher execution barrier. I don't care to continue this conversation any further, we can agree to disagree. All I have to say is that I don't need to be a top player to read and assemble the pulse of the community. And the community hates Kenshi. Why does the community hate Kenshi? We'll thats we're we disagree, and I'm okay with that.

FYI I was rooting for Pig in top 8 once CD was knocked out. It's good for the scene when other players beat VSM. VSM = Yankees.

THTB

Community hates Kenshi? Nobody outside of a couple people even thought Kenshi was top tier until Tom's tier list popped up. Even then, the only complaints I've seen have come from players who use characters with bad matchups vs him...and it's not even a hate the character thing...it's more of a hate the matchup scenario.

That said, I don't even get how that had anything to do with Kenshi being easy to use.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I don't see how. Kenshi has to chase Smoke down to avoid trading with SB's which is a bad trade for him. Up close it's just about who makes better reads. I don't even have to play the spirit charge/rising karma game like everyone else if I have meter. I think you're going to do some psychic stuff? EX smoke drift that shit for a full combo.

but you gotta catch me first.

THTB

I did not know that, but I actually was referring to regular.

Altaire

Noob
I don't see how. Kenshi has to chase Smoke down to avoid trading with SB's which is a bad trade for him. Up close it's just about who makes better reads. I don't even have to play the spirit charge/rising karma game like everyone else if I have meter. I think you're going to do some psychic stuff? EX smoke drift that shit for a full combo.

Basically this. Smoke wins on every trade, and he can whiff punish upslash for big damage. I think it's 6-4 Smoke, if anything.

I main reptile and it's tough as hell fighting zoners.especially kenshi because reptile does not have a teleport to get around the zoning.Ive been getting raped by good kenshis until I started the match with ex slides and if it hits and most of the time it do because players don't expect it, i do fast force ball followed by slow one and rush him the hell down from there.ex slide has armor on projectiles and subs clone.when you anticipate a projectile or clone, just ex slide,fb,slow fb,rush down but be smart.continue ex slide when they still trying to use projectiles.thats what it is for.I don't lose to kenshis as much now that I use this strategy.But it still can be tough if your opponent is smart enough to sniff it out and hit you with something else.I don't know about katana because I don't use her anymore and it do sound like it would be tough for her in this matchup.

Pig Of The Hut

Let me try to explain

2hit of tele flurry allows him to win trade as 2nd hit starts the stun

Kenshi AA cross ups are money just no one does them

If only first hit touches smoke then he come take 1 hit and combo still

Smoke's smoke away and towards move gets nailed by sc and tele flurry as well as victim to b2 FTs

If Kenshi has meter then smoke is in big doo doo, Ex SC takes care of SB trade with 11% advantage and knockdown so kenshi can advance to smoke in the corner where smoke is screwed.

Jip tele whiff gets rk into full combo

d1 pressure gets blown up by ex rk and ex ec as well as his d1

Its really just one of those things where we would have to play offline - Kenshi is as deadly up close as he is far away.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Let me try to explain

2hit of tele flurry allows him to win trade as 2nd hit starts the stun

Kenshi AA cross ups are money just no one does them

If only first hit touches smoke then he come take 1 hit and combo still

Smoke's smoke away and towards move gets nailed by sc and tele flurry as well as victim to b2 FTs

If Kenshi has meter then smoke is in big doo doo, Ex SC takes care of SB trade with 11% advantage and knockdown so kenshi can advance to smoke in the corner where smoke is screwed.

Jip tele whiff gets rk into full combo

d1 pressure gets blown up by ex rk and ex ec as well as his d1

Its really just one of those things where we would have to play offline - Kenshi is as deadly up close as he is far away.
When I played you...I had no idea what to make of this matchup. But you have way more Smoke experience now.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Pig is definitely on the right track here. Kenshi has a lot of options to deal with Smoke's pressure and long ranged stuff. On the other hand, Smoke has a lot of ways to stay away from Kenshi, and that's what it really boils down to IMO.

Me and Detroit have played this match a lot, and we're pretty sure it's just 5-5. Get the first hit and run. Neither character has a lot to really force the other to take damage (Smoke does no chip damage, and Kenshi's full screen options will lose/trade with Smoke Bomb which is bad).

Pig Of The Hut

Well im looking to hit NYC in June, Ill be at ceo, ECT and nashville as well

I unfortunately cannot attend MLG for 2 major reasons.

I am trying hard to fix one of the issues but it look damn near impossible

It'll happen in time i promise