What's new

Match-up Discussion Kenshi SMH

aj1701

Noob
Explain how he clearly has no skill.
Please don't feed the troll. :(

Anyway, this thread is about how Kitana deals with Kenshi, not talking about what it takes to play Kenshi. Since good Kenshi's give me trouble too, I'd very much like to hear some thoughts on dealing with him.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Keep away is just as hard as rushdown. I should know...

Trying to get in with Sub-Zero is tough and b/c of that I'll admit that I've caved into the "oh, well I'll just be a dick and spam him back" mentally. I'd pick Noob Saibot and get completely blown up b/c you can't just randomly throw projectiles and be successful. You have to variate when you throw them so they don't get your timing down, you have to variate which projectile you throw, you have to be careful of your spacing (IE not throwing a projectile if they're in JIP range)

So I'm almost positive the same thing goes for Kenshi.

It's not as EZ mode as you think it is.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
That's just like, your opinion, man.

I dig your attitude, but I still don't think Kenshi takes as much skill to play as the other top tier characters. Keep away is easier than rush down.

Btw if you don't get my reference, I dig your attitude much less
If you seriously think keepaway in this game is easier than rushdown and that Kenshi takes no skill, you need to stop trying to share your opinion, no offense. That, or take a major using only Kenshi.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I love this thread because it shows that if you're not a top, recognized player in the community it shows your opinion doesn't matter. Even though I'm not a top player, I watch a lot of matches and I'm not exactly an idiot.

1. I would love to poll the community and see which they believe takes more skill: rushdown or zoning. THTB, you're a mod, why don't you put that poll up?

2. Secondly, Altaire, please explain your logic behind me not having any skill. Have you seen me play? No, you haven't, thus your point is what logical people would call "invalid."

There have been several responses, and nobody has told me which top tier character takes less skill than Kenshi. Why doesn't anyone want to take a crack at that question? You have Kabal, Raiden, Smoke, Kung Lao, and arguably others to choose from. Which one takes less skill to use than Kenshi?

Dash blocking in and making several reads in a short period of time is a lot harder than back dashing and pressing a special move. ESPECIALLY when that special move has armor, and ESPECIALLY when those special moves are safe from the majority of options the other person of has (operative word, "majority," read carefully).

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Kenshi has to have perfect spacing and perfect meter management to zone correctly. He's very vulnerable to cross overs; which is why the spacing and meter management is so important. I haven't even purchased Kenshi but it's very easy to see this. He is by no means a brainless easy mode zoner.

Tolkeen

/wrists
I love this thread because it shows that if you're not a top, recognized player in the community it shows your opinion doesn't matter. Even though I'm not a top player, I watch a lot of matches and I'm not exactly an idiot.

1. I would love to poll the community and see which they believe takes more skill: rushdown or zoning. THTB, you're a mod, why don't you put that poll up?

2. Secondly, Altaire, please explain your logic behind me not having any skill. Have you seen me play? No, you haven't, thus your point is what logical people would call "invalid."

There have been several responses, and nobody has told me which top tier character takes less skill than Kenshi. Why doesn't anyone want to take a crack at that question? You have Kabal, Raiden, Smoke, Kung Lao, and arguably others to choose from. Which one takes less skill to use than Kenshi?

Dash blocking in and making several reads in a short period of time is a lot harder than back dashing and pressing a special move. ESPECIALLY when that special move has armor, and ESPECIALLY when those special moves are safe from the majority of options the other person of has (operative word, "majority," read carefully).
If both players have no skill.
No skilled kabal blows up kenshi. Ground saw and air fireball = win. No skill smoke blows him up, full screen smokebomb wins all trades. No skill raiden wins, 334 tele b32 tele F24 tele. No skill kl tele3 12 tele3 repeat.
Your no skill argument is broken.

Tapatalk, helping me procrastinate.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Noserfatu

Every one in the game is easily playable with a few exceptions. Kenshi requires a very small margin of error and characters like Johnny Cage, Jax, Scorpion, Kung Lao all have insane comeback factors that no zoners have. It's not related in anyway, apples and oranges.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
To say that keepaway takes less skill than rushdown is rather ignorant.

I played Noob Saibot as a main character for a couple of weeks and I know there's more to him than just his shadow mix-ups from a distance. If that was the only way I played him, I would have been easy pickings. You have to recognize when the time comes for you to take it face-to-face with the opponent, because sooner or later they're gonna find their way in and get up in your face. These tournament-level players recognize that rushdown and keepaway take equal skill to do in high-level fights.

I will freely admit that I caved in to the mentality of "Kenshi is a broken character," because of all the characters in the game, he is the only one I cannot develop a consistent solution for. But does that mean everyone else shares your predicament of struggling against that character? Far from it.

The better thing would be to ask for advice on how to defeat a particular character rather than just painting him off as "easy mode" or "broken." Such a mentality won't solve your problems, it just provides you a mental cushion for your losses which prevents you from improving.

As much as I hate Kenshi, Pig of the Hut put all his heart and effort into making it far in a tournament with the character, and that deserves a great deal of respect. You also might want to take into account that he had to switch to Mileena on occasions where Kenshi didn't cut it. So...easy mode, you say?

Noserfatu

1. Kenshi is vulnerable to crossups because you're not supposed to get in.

2. It's funny you should mention comeback. Per your statement, rush down characters have a comeback factor that zoning characters don't have. A comeback implies you were losing and I think all people would agree that comebacks are inherently difficult. Thus, rush down characters are more difficult to play (therefore require more skill) than zoning characters.

Blake, you bring up another excellent point. The entire community has problems with kenshi except for his few CP characters. I don't think thats a coincidence. I think it speaks to 1. how good the character is and 2. how easy he is to use because he SHUTS DOWN so many characters' options.

It would take great skill to defeat an equally talented kung lao with kenshi, just like it takes great skill to defeat kenshi with over half the cast.

16 bit has said in the past that he starts off zoning hard against some characters and its a test that most players cannot pass. Kenshi is a better zoner than Kitana, and its much harder to iAF than to zone with Kenshi. These 2 statements are pretty damn close to factual, and they both lead to supporting my points. What supports your points that rushdown is harder than zoning?

AngryWorm

Hitomi's Pet
I agree with Konqrr and Foxy's post. The theory seems good and makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately for me, I haven't learned the range of the shoulder attack yet and constantly get smacked by it.

I'm just an online player so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I can generally beat 'bad' Kenshi players without much difficulty. The ones who know what they're doing though just flatten me. Saying him, or any character, doesn't take skill is a dangerous path to take.

Just my two cents.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
1. Kenshi is vulnerable to crossups because you're not supposed to get in.

2. It's funny you should mention comeback. Per your statement, rush down characters have a comeback factor that zoning characters don't have. A comeback implies you were losing and I think all people would agree that comebacks are inherently difficult. Thus, rush down characters are more difficult to play (therefore require more skill) than zoning characters.

Blake, you bring up another excellent point. The entire community has problems with kenshi except for his few CP characters. I don't think thats a coincidence. I think it speaks to 1. how good the character is and 2. how easy he is to use because he SHUTS DOWN so many characters' options.

It would take great skill to defeat an equally talented kung lao with kenshi, just like it takes great skill to defeat kenshi with over half the cast.

16 bit has said in the past that he starts off zoning hard against some characters and its a test that most players cannot pass. Kenshi is a better zoner than Kitana, and its much harder to iAF than to zone with Kenshi. These 2 statements are pretty damn close to factual, and they both lead to supporting my points. What supports your points that rushdown is harder than zoning?
I just have to say it man, you're dead wrong.

If you watch my match from NEC i played a shitty 1 month kenshi and got blown up by RIU 48 for it, I hadnt' worked on him, i had shitty footsies, poor meter building technique and all around just a bad kenshi all together

3 months later and 1500+ games later solely w this character i found the way kenshi needs to be played and worked out most kinks (still working on him, no way near done) and results showed.

I do believe he is a top 5 character and he'll only grow stronger but saying he requires no skills is a little insulting and flat out wrong.

Also your Lao reference is laughable

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Everyone shut the fuck up. Noserfatu is right, Kenshi is a no-skill character. You know how to play Kenshi and be on Pig's level? Memorize the move list. Telefury/downslice when they're far away. Are they closer? Armorarmorarmor. Repeat. Did they knock you down? Armorwakeupmash. Reverse input it if they cross over. Damn pig you're so fucking skilled. Get the fuck out of here. If I picked up Kenshi (I haven't even downloaded that stupid character from the marketplace) I would have no problem getting the same placement as Pig at a major because *OMG* i learned to use my meter and learned how to stop crossovers! It's not fucking hard bro. Grow a pair of balls and then I yelled to the cabby "yo holmes smell ya later", looked at my kingdom i was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.

THTB

1. I don't have to put it up. You can do that all on your own. Users themselves have the ability to make polls. ;)

2. He's probably right lol.

Kenshi is a good character and the hardest match for kitana but i saw some fawls in both 16 bit and CD matches they allways tryed to do a 21 after blocking kenshis back 2, he gets priority framas and can hit a <- -> 2 after it before Kitana can do a hit if they block this aswell then they can perform a combo if they try combo right efter <- 2 they will get hit by <- -> 2 and they did crossups too early giving kenshy time to move and do the zoning right some times i work wonders whit a neutral jump punch.

And well Kenshi is not that hard to learn as other chars also noob, raiden are easy to play but they are not too easy to MASTER like pig did whit his Kenshi

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Just for the record, in the Top 5 Project from 2 months ago, I was the ONLY person to put Kenshi in their top 5.

I also think Smoke is a good counter pick for Kenshi.

EDIT: I guess Pig picked him too. Was that an addendum to your top 5? I distinctly remember the total count for Kenshi being "1" when the article first went up.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Everyone shut the fuck up. Noserfatu is right, Kenshi is a no-skill character. You know how to play Kenshi and be on Pig's level? Memorize the move list. Telefury/downslice when they're far away. Are they closer? Armorarmorarmor. Repeat. Did they knock you down? Armorwakeupmash. Reverse input it if they cross over. Damn pig you're so fucking skilled. Get the fuck out of here. If I picked up Kenshi (I haven't even downloaded that stupid character from the marketplace) I would have no problem getting the same placement as Pig at a major because *OMG* i learned to use my meter and learned how to stop crossovers! It's not fucking hard bro. Grow a pair of balls and then I yelled to the cabby "yo holmes smell ya later", looked at my kingdom i was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.
Shut up Carlton,you're always whining,Will did just fine with his Kenshi,show your brother some respect!

still can't believe i got bell air'd.

Altaire

Noob
Except it really has NOTHING to do with being a "top, recognized player", your opinion of Kenshi is just extremely ignorant.

Don't come in here saying shit like "Hey guise I totally know what I'm talking about because I watch a lot of matches!" Knowledgeability has to be proven. Credibility has to be earned. Watching a lot of matches means nothing if all you can take away from it is that Kenshi is easy to play. Very few characters are "easy to play" against a skilled opponent. Characters like Raiden, Sub and Ermac can be learned in the span of ten minutes, but you still have to play smart to win with them, so they STILL aren't easy street.

I already specified what my basis was, but sure thing. Just to spare you that long, arduous journey up the scroll bar, I'll reiterate: If you were a "good" player, you wouldn't have this ignorant misconception that Kenshi is easy to play. No one with a thorough understanding of the game and how it's played at the highest level would ever come to that sort of conclusion. To be COMPLETELY blunt, it's textbook scrub behavior.

Well, let's see:

- Kabal has an easier time zoning than Kenshi. His execution barrier is the highest in MK9, but by the standards of most other 2D fighters, his execution is child's play. Instant air gas blast? It's the fucking Korean back dash input, and that's just Tekken 101. His execution is demanding by the standards of MK, but rest assured, any top SF player could pick up MK and have Kabal's execution down in minutes. Before you say something really stupid, no, that doesn't mean they would be as good with him as REO is.

- You can learn everything you'd ever need to know about Raiden in ten seconds. Poke with F2 4, counter-poke with back dash B3 1 2, mix up teleport F2 4 and teleport grab. Raiden is all fundamentals. Actually winning with him requires you to have good footsies and really great punish sense, but it's not difficult to play him. The most demanding part of playing Raiden is that you have to be smart about it, and I'd say that's a pretty damn low ceiling for any good player.

- Smoke is far easier to use than Kenshi is, and he's STILL not "EZmode". In fact, you can basically take what I said about Raiden and just add in that Smoke gets easy grab mixup and free D4s (which only lead to more grab mixups). Pressure with 2 1 4 and 3 D1 2, counter-poke with back dash B2 3. Other than that, all you really NEED to know is how and when to lame it out and when to try and trade with the smoke bomb. It doesn't take a whole lot of expertise to play Smoke if you're a fundamentally sound player.

- Lao genuinely requires you to know a lot of shit, from specific setups to ways to make his unsafe tools safer to counter-strats for low hitbox characters. Unfortunately for you, he also has some of the best ground game and the most absolutely foolproof AA in the game. Playing Lao is really as simple as establishing ground dominance so your opponent feels like he has to jump at you to get anything started. I definitely have an easier time using him than I do Kenshi.

Oh, but how is it that you have to make "several reads" as you dash block in, if all your opponent is doing is back dashing and using a special move? What reads would you need to make if that's all they're doing?

I love how you think Kenshi can just spam armor moves liberally as though they don't cost meter, by the way. Bottom line: Kenshi does take skill to play. If you jump a teleflurry or avoid a downslash, he's at huge disadvantage. If you jump a charge, he eats a full combo. If you bait an upslash, you can whiff punish it, often times for big damage (the irony is that Kitana can blow this up better than almost anyone). He has NO wakeup game, so once you're knocked down, all you do is roll away and try to get out of pressure the hard way. If Kenshi was so goddamn easy to use, everyone and their dog would be subbing him to deal with Kitana.

P.S. You can't "press" a special move, they're actually triggered by a sequence of numbers. Do you just have some kind of magic controller with shortcuts to all of your character's specials? Man, you need to tell me where I can get one of those!

Noserfatu

Altaire

Lol. I feel very special that you wrote a 2 page essay for me. Let me a borrow a phrase from you. You must live a very fulfilling life. I am not going to respond to all of that because it won't give me any sense of fulfillment, which is one of the things that makes us different. I'll just say that I disagree with your opinion.

For someone that has no tournament success, you sure do spend a lot of time on MK. Maybe its time to leave your shell? Or do you not want to do that because 1. you're one of the most hated players in the community or 2. you'll be disappointed at your return on your investment?

Kenshi is easier to use than Raiden, Kabal, Smoke, and Kung Lao. I'll pretend you calling me a scrub hurts my feelings if it makes you feel better. gg

THTB

Okay, let's cool it now and keep this from becoming an argument between two people.

Altaire

Noob
Altaire

Lol. I feel very special that you wrote a 2 page essay for me. Let me a borrow a phrase from you. You must live a very fulfilling life. I am not going to respond to all of that because it won't give me any sense of fulfillment, which is one of the things that makes us different. I'll just say that I disagree with your opinion.

For someone that has no tournament success, you sure do spend a lot of time on MK. Maybe its time to leave your shell? Or do you not want to do that because 1. you're one of the most hated players in the community or 2. you'll be disappointed at your return on your investment?

Kenshi is easier to use than Raiden, Kabal, Smoke, and Kung Lao. I'll pretend you calling me a scrub hurts my feelings if it makes you feel better. gg
"You proved me wrong over a video game, you suck at life!" Man, the butthurt is palpable.

No tournament success? I've been to ONE tournament since the game dropped, smart guy. It was also the first time I'd ever played offline. I placed ninth, and the two people who beat me (Justin Wong and Shujinkydink) went on to place first and second, respectively. I also sent Neo Russell to losers, and he went on to place fourth. All in all, I'd say I did not half bad. Given where I live, it costs me around $600 or more to "leave my shell". Plane tickets are $400 at the bare minimum, and then I need to factor in accommodations, food, entry fees and any miscellaneous expenditures. I WAS set to go to WB in February, but I wasn't able to book the time off work, so whatever, shit happens. As much as I'd love to quit my job and fly to every FGC event under the sun, my job IS more important to me. Here's some food for thought while you're slinging your double standards, though: Konqrr posts on TYM all the time, and is widely regarded as an authority on his character. Before FR, his last tournament was Evo, at the end of July. Slips is another figure who's seen as an authority on HIS character, and he's fairly active in the community given his weekly podcast; in spite of this, he rarely travels. Konqrr and Slips hardly ever make it out to tournaments, much like myself, because time and money are not always readily available for some of us. Tell me, why is it okay for one of these two to only make a few tournaments a year, when it isn't okay for me?

Oh, right, because you're butthurt. That'll do it!

P.S. A word to the not-so-wise: It's pretty hard to play this off like you aren't upset when you need to bombard me with baseless projection just to feel better about being proven wrong on the internet. You know, just FYI. Thanks for coming out!