What's new

Kenshi = Dhalsim

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
First thing that popped into my mind after a while of playing him.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I don't know. He honestly reminds me more of Venom from Guilty Gear.

I don't see Kenshi as a zoner, though. Well, more as someone who zones you into the corner, then destroys you all day long. His zoning is good, but you can't keep people out all day with it. Need that wall carry.

xxvic1ousxx

Awake and Dreaming...
I use Dhalsim on occasion, and I feel very little resemblance in playstyle. Sure, both characters are great at zoning. But, I don't think Kenshi controls the amount of space that Dhalsim can. Kenshi is significantly more mobile, has more combo and mixup potential and benefits much more from offensive play then Dhalsim does.

Venom, mentioned earlier, seems like a good comparison. But if we're talking about Street Fighter characters specifically, I'd have to say he plays very similar to Rose.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, Rose is probably his closest comparison in the SF cast.

Here, though... Kenshi is probably in the top three corner fighters in the game. His moveset between Telekinetic Slash, Tele-Flurry and Spirit Charge, are more for controlling space, making sure your opponent has a difficult time advancing forward while you also push them to the wall. Which really isn't difficult, Spirit Charge alone has MASSIVE knockback and anytime you land a punisher starting with :r:bp:bp:l:fp, your wall-carry on that combo is very good. You also have a very good dash and very fast walk-speed which makes closing gaps easier just because of that. Then you get in the corner and it's just lockdown, pressure and playing high/low all day long.

You should be mindful of your spacing with Kenshi (don't want to get crossed up), but I wouldn't call him a defensive character at all.

[shamelessplug]It's all here in the guide.[/shamelessplug]

Red

Noob
yea.. i dont think he is like dhalsim...

their both zoners but they dont play like each other at all.. I would say kenshi is more like a sentinel but he cant fly..

personally i think the telefurry could use 2 more startup frames and 2 more recovery frames.

kenshi IS like Dhalsim in that you have work to keep your opponent out using the correct spacing, and button presses at every range. So that you don't let your opponent in, or get jumped on. Think each of his specials as one of dhalsim's limbs. You don't really have time to think about which special to use to push your opponent back. You just have to know which one works best in that moment. At that range. I main Dhalsim in SF. So i felt this immediately. Kenshi doesn't really rush down so much as he pressures with his wide array of defensive options. If you jump in for a mix up it's almost as ballsy as teleporting in with Dhalsim. If you get the combo great, but if you don't your opponent is now too close. This is all IMO. of course.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
kenshi IS like Dhalsim in that you have work to keep your opponent out using the correct spacing, and button presses at every range. So that you don't let your opponent in, or get jumped on. Think each of his specials as one of dhalsim's limbs. You don't really have time to think about which special to use to push your opponent back. You just have to know which one works best in that moment. At that range. I main Dhalsim in SF. So i felt this immediately. Kenshi doesn't really rush down so much as he pressures with his wide array of defensive options. If you jump in for a mix up it's almost as ballsy as teleporting in with Dhalsim. If you get the combo great, but if you don't your opponent is now too close. This is all IMO. of course.
The difference is, Kenshi is good up close.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Yeah, Kenshi is pretty deadly up close. Good string and high low mix ups. Loving this guy so far. I haven't touched MK9/Johnny Cage for a month, coming back to this is pretty sweet.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Funny, i am still writing up the Full write up for kenshi for project Learning lab....and i mentioned couple of examples of wut Kenshi feels like.

Kenshi does feel like a combination of Dhalsim and Adon! for sure

Kenshi doesnt need a cane, or a helping hand to cross him the other side of the street. He doesnt joke around! he's angry at shang tsung for sure, and he will keep it that way. At first glance of kenshi, I had a slight feeling that this Character is not a fit for the MK9 playing style. All i witnessed at the begining was him getting ganked up close, and not beeing able to breath. After a while of practicing, looking deeper into the character, I realised that I saw him somewhere else Before in other fighting games! Yes, i know, not in another MK game... I am talking bout the idea of this character, and how he approach the battle feild....this character concept has been in many other fighting games, Dhalsim Zone control and turtling? Zappa hit and run and dependance on random?Samurai Showdown Basara and Far away zone/spam?...a lot of examples to be honest. Shockingly! this concept made it in MK, and i see it as a perfect fit to be honest.

takin from the write up.