Karen Strassman possibly not reprising her roles as Kitana / Mileena

Discussion in 'Mortal Kombat 11' started by xXRagingFlameXx, Jan 2, 2019.

By xXRagingFlameXx on Jan 2, 2019 at 12:23 PM
  1. So, I was playing some MKX and thinking "Omg, the voices of Mileena and Kitana are so freaking good I wonder who did them. I found out it's the amazing Karen Strassman who does both and I was curious to see if she'd given any hints or liked anything on Twitter in terms of her returning to Mortal Kombat 11.

[​IMG]
    I saw this response to a tweet asking if she'd be returning as Mileena and Kitana

https://twitter.com/KarenStrassman/status/1079909200677851136

She says:
    I can't be the only one who will be a little disappointed if she doesn't show up as Kitana or Mileena in MK11. She played the roles so well. I know they could always find new voices, but she's yet to disappoint me and her portrayal of Mileena is the best, imo. Maybe these are the same 'politics' that got Scorpion recast as well?

*Promoted by HellblazerHawkman

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019
    Gamer68 and JBeezYBabY like this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Mortal Kombat 11' started by xXRagingFlameXx, Jan 2, 2019.

1. MKF30
      MKF30
      More what I meant, was just pointing out that every fighting game has a "Bruce Lee" like character what I should have said, I agree. Yeah I know, like Deadpool is an actual parody of Deathstroke. The creator even admitted it, then later tried to say he wasn't lol. But it's pretty obvious. Even Deadpool in the crossover admits it to DS saying "if it weren't for you I wouldn't exist man!" lol. Yeah Tekken's story has always been like a comedy soap opera.
      Roy Arkon likes this.
    2. CrimsonShadow
      CrimsonShadow
      Liu Kang is most definitely a parody. That sound he makes while doing the bicycle kick when MK2 dropped was one of the silliest sounds in the entire arcade. Turning into an actual dragon was pretty silly too, but awesome. They cranked the rapid-fire Bruce Lee vocals up to ridiculous levels, but it works for what the franchise is.

MK has never been completely serious, just like Ed Boon is never completely serious -- his personality and the series go hand in hand. There's always some tounge-in-cheek for every bit of drama. But that balance is part of what makes the series so beloved.
    3. Roy Arkon
      Roy Arkon
      The Bicycle Kick sound is only one aspect of Liu Kang's design, but his other sounds of all of his other moves, while indeed being inspired by Bruce Lee, are not cheesy at all. Turning into a dragon for one was also not silly, I don't understand how can someone even say such a thing.

Also, like I said, MK is indeed not completely serious, but MK is the most serious Fighting Game franchise of them all and especially during it's story, and even during gameplay when the all of the more cheesy stuff do appear, only some of the aspects of it are, not all of them, like in the case of Liu Kang, only one or two sounds of him during battle are cheesy, yet not his whole design both in story and gameplay. If you wanna see a Fighting Game series that is truly cheesy, look no further then Tekken, in which almost all characters except a few Bosses are cheesy and comedy-prone in terms of the story and even during gameplay there are some aspects that are just that, not all of them though.
    4. KHTC Takgillo
      KHTC Takgillo
      Not mk11 inj2 was impacted that's one of the reason for the reused voice and the launch date of May instead of April.
    5. KHTC Takgillo
      KHTC Takgillo
      Pretty sure the strike happened in the middle of inj2 development, they start development early but I doubt the voices are recorded years in advance
    6. ImperatrixSindel
      ImperatrixSindel
      Yeah if the strike is a factor it's that they are choosing (perhaps because WB is still angry about it) not to use the talent that went on strike, not that the strike actually impacted the MK11 development cycle.

It's also possible they're just replacing them with celebrity talent. We'll find out soon, I guess.
    7. MKF30
      MKF30
      I think MK while it does have it's moments, compared to other fighters is pretty dead serious overall. I mean preventing everyone from dying, killing people in pretty brutal ways in Kombat, resurrecting dead heroes? Pretty dark, the comics were a lot darker (game tie ins) compared to the games with a bit more humor at times but the overall plot of MK I'd say that's a hell of a lot more serious than anything in SF, Tekken, MVC, Injustice, DOA etc, etc You do raise a good point on LK's 3 stooges sounds when he does the bicycle kick, but MK has always kind of said gibberish with some moves some of which not even funny just like "what the hell did he/she say?". SF does this too, some things are understandable but then you have guys like E.Honda who say things like "owee oiiee" and in some SF games it's really hard to understand certain characters when they do moves. Ryu, Ken etc you can understand Hadoken and Scorpion with "Get over Here!"

Fei Long also makes silly noises when he fights, I think easily on par with Liu Kang if not more actually with his flaming kick move, the dash punch move etc. There's a guy in DOA who also makes noises who seems Bruce Lee inspired(forget the name) but I'm sure you get the point. lol.
      Last edited: Jan 6, 2019