What's new

General/Other - Cybernetic Kano's Cybernetic Variation Discussion Thread

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
So I got the chance to play Cyber v Piercing Milenna offline this weekend. Do people still think Milenna wins the MU? Because I can't see it.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
Anyone wanna do some Cyber mirrors. I feel like I'm missing something in my game play. I used to main Cyber Kano and I wanna get back on that, if you do hit me up on my PSN oaoo94

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
I just posted in the General Discussion thread and the Video thread with the Twitch archive link for KIT pools. 3 sets of Cybernetic matches from myself, Royale and Coach Steve. I'll copy the post below just for quick reference :)

KIT pools- http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/v/35817587

31:00 marks my match with Rambro (Cybernetic v. Sun/War God)
4:18:50 KH Royale vs. Noble Jupiter (Cybernetic v. Wrestler)
4:43:00 Coach Steve vs. Blind Ducky (Cybernetic v. Swam Queen)

There may be more Kano matches in these pools, the matches above are just the ones I remembered seeing and could find during a quick scan through the archive.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So I got the chance to play Cyber v Piercing Milenna offline this weekend. Do people still think Milenna wins the MU? Because I can't see it.
Why not? Where does he win/have an advantage? She has better tools in the matchup imo.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So I was thinking, since in the beta Breakers burn both opponent's entire stamina bar and have delayed replenishment, this could only be a good thing for cybernetic, right?

I know this is a Beta and every thing is subject to change, but I don't see it being a bad thing for this variation. Any thoughts?

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
So I was thinking, since in the beta Breakers burn both opponent's entire stamina bar and have delayed replenishment, this could only be a good thing for cybernetic, right?

I know this is a Beta and every thing is subject to change, but I don't see it being a bad thing for this variation. Any thoughts?
Idk if its good, but it doesn't hurt him. If he breaks cyber gets a chance to regain his composure without the other running in like crazy. And if the other player breaks cyber can use his long normals to possibly catch them being defensive and capitalize. It doesnt really hurt commando either. Nor does it help

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
If that Beta Breaker deal is true, I don't see Kano really hurting at all. All variations have the range game down, and both Commando and Cutthroats knives are not bad, by any means.
Cyber has B1 and B2, Comm. has the same B1. CT has F21. Plus, F4. Quick, good range, safe for all variations. His D4 quickly covers good range.
Stamina-wise, CT's midscreen combos may have to wait. I know there's some running in the bigger damage ones. I've optimized all of my midscreen Cyber combos to be stamina-less with the same damage as the ones using run. Overall, I think Cyber and Commando combos are fine without having stamina, with the exception of some far range EX Knives confirms in Cybernetic.

Plop

Noob
Ninjutsu just got another overhead. Reckon we'll finally get one this time? (in b4 "cyber doesn't need an overhead because knives")

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Ninjutsu just got another overhead. Reckon we'll finally get one this time? (in b4 "cyber doesn't need an overhead because knives")
Play CT lol.
Giving zoner a crutch of 50/50 because he doesn't zone good enough does not make the game more diverse.

Ninjutsu's f2 is half-assed change, but then the entire variation is half-assed design, so...

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Why not? Where does he win/have an advantage? She has better tools in the matchup imo.
How? Her anti zoning tools are all unsafe and can't reliably be done on reaction, Kano has a d4 that gives Milenna problems, and he can happily contend with b12. Unless Milenna is committing to unsafe approaches, Kano has the upperhand in the neutral game, and her sai is easily reacted to.

She has better damage and better mixups, but when her 50/50's are unsafe I can't see why they would give her an advantage because she's putting her ass on the line when she commits to them. One thing that is annoying is that roll goes under literally every string he has, but again, she's putting her ass on the line to beat a poke after his block strings.

Gofer_MK_

Banned

Yooooo, there changes to the mechanics in the beta? Braker that burns both your and opponent's stamina is great news!!! Is there a list of changes that the beta brings?

Plop

Noob
Play CT lol.
Giving zoner a crutch of 50/50 because he doesn't zone good enough does not make the game more diverse.

Ninjutsu's f2 is half-assed change, but then the entire variation is half-assed design, so...
I didnt say 50/50...Lol

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Breakers drain both players stamina. Confirmed. Beta is shades of new patch. Confirmed.

It doesn't hurt or help anyone really.

Youphemism

How? Her anti zoning tools are all unsafe and can't reliably be done on reaction, Kano has a d4 that gives Milenna problems, and he can happily contend with b12. Unless Milenna is committing to unsafe approaches, Kano has the upperhand in the neutral game, and her sai is easily reacted to.

She has better damage and better mixups, but when her 50/50's are unsafe I can't see why they would give her an advantage because she's putting her ass on the line when she commits to them. One thing that is annoying is that roll goes under literally every string he has, but again, she's putting her ass on the line to beat a poke after his block strings.
Who cares if she's unsafe? It's called risk/reward, and it's in her favour because she does more damage. Like UsedForGlue said, she's only as unsafe as the player, so a good Mileena player won't even be throwing out her anti-zoning tools unless necessary. Why does she even need to rely on them anyway? I don't think she's going to be too worried about a little chip. Roll going under knives is still a major problem, it being unsafe doesn't matter if it's hitting him and opening him up. Kano's D4 is a problem for most characters, don't see how that somehow makes it worse for Mileena than anyone else. Mileena isn't just spam B12 in neutral all day and if you're playing with someone who does then no wonder you think it's winning.

Why are you dismissing the fact she has better damage and a better offensive game in general? They are not irrelevant points as you are making them seem to promote your argument, they are reasons Kano struggles more in the matchup. This is MKX we're talking about here, a good mixup game that allows you to open up your opponent for more damage than they can get you with is going to win more matches than knives, blockstrings and below average damage/offence. You talk about how it's risky for Mileena to roll under his strings but she can still roll under his strings and that is a legit problem. Funnily enough it's still risky for Kano to throw out a D4 in retaliation against B12 since he risks getting whiff punished but you don't mention that for some reason.

Having a good neutral game is one thing but having a good amount of options to open someone up is something else, something better. If frame data was that important Jacqui should be top tier and Ermac should be bottom but they're not because frames aren't make or break.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Who cares if she's unsafe? It's called risk/reward, and it's in her favour because she does more damage.
She doesn't get bigger damage off her mixups or raw roll, only from a punish, so it isn't in her favour to begin with. It's an equal playing field so it can't be considered in her favour just because she has them.

Why are you dismissing the fact she has better damage and a better offensive game in general? They are not irrelevant points as you are making them seem to promote your argument
Don't you realise that in order for her to utilize her offense, she has to bet the bar of meter and bet her health? She can't have mixups and safety, that's not how she works. So this great offense you're talking about is as big a risk for her and the reward she gets, resulting in not-so-great offense. I can't see how it could be considered in her favour when it is a straight 50/50; either she gets combo'd or Kano gets combo'd for roughly the same damage, and she needs meter to do it.

Like UsedForGlue said, she's only as unsafe as the player, so a good Mileena player won't even be throwing out her anti-zoning tools unless necessary. Why does she even need to rely on them anyway? I don't think she's going to be too worried about a little chip.
You constantly argue with people about how Cyber is about zoning and space control and how it's good enough to be competitive in this game, but now it doesn't matter because it's just a bit of chip? She can't tele kick on reaction, nor can she ball roll, so if she wants to use the tools then she has to just throw them out on a read. Tele kick is terrible risk/reward for her and roll nets the same damage as she gets punished for. This then boils down to Kano controlling the pace of the neutral game, and doing what he does best; frustrating the opponent into over reaching. Knife beats sai all day and she can't jump at him, so she has to either play like a nutter and deal with the risk, or play the ground game where Kano can contend with her.

Roll going under knives is still a major problem
They are not irrelevant points as you are making them seem to promote your argument
You realise you're doing just that? Roll going under knives is not a problem. It's a full punish for something she can't do on reaction, how is that a problem? If you're constantly getting hit by roll in the neutral the fault lies with you and not the MU. How can you say I'm bending points to promote my argument if you're going to make statements like
it being unsafe doesn't matter if it's hitting him and opening him up
whilst also saying this
Like UsedForGlue said, she's only as unsafe as the player, so a good Mileena player won't even be throwing out her anti-zoning tools unless necessary
Have you ever actually played against a Milenna offline? You seem to be under the impression that she can do this stuff on reaction, which would matter, but she can't. Roll being unsafe does matter, don't be ridiculous.

Kano's D4 is a problem for most characters, don't see how that somehow makes it worse for Mileena than anyone else. Mileena isn't just spam B12 in neutral all day and if you're playing with someone who does then no wonder you think it's winning
The problem is that Milenna doesn't have anything to contend with the d4 except roll, and, hopefully the point is being made by now, it's unsafe and in this instance, I don't think it can be used a reactionary whiff punisher enough of the time to. D4 low profiles b12 and beats all her pokes at that range. Again, you can't acknowledge his d4 is a problem and then pretend like it isn't because other character find it troublesome as well. That's what makes MU's, 'what does my character have that is a problem against your character?' Just because other characters find it hard to deal with doesn't make it universal either, different characters have different tools which means they can deal with it to varying degrees.

This is MKX we're talking about here, a good mixup game that allows you to open up your opponent for more damage than they can get you with is going to win more matches than knives, blockstrings and below average damage/offence
This is a generalization and lazy point to make, which isn't even true. Johnny Cage is exactly what you're talking about here, yet Cyber does fine against him. Aren't you also of the opinion that Cyber beats Cassie? How can that be as she has a good mixup game and damage? Is Saltshaker on your account?

You talk about how it's risky for Mileena to roll under his strings but she can still roll under his strings and that is a legit problem. Funnily enough it's still risky for Kano to throw out a D4 in retaliation against B12 since he risks getting whiff punished but you don't mention that for some reason.
Yes it is a problem but it is equal. Again, it can't be done on reaction, risk/reward is equal, and it is the only offensive option she has to beat a poke after b13, 11, 112, 2f4, 32 and b31. You can't try to make it sound like it's a good thing for her because it isn't a better option. Sure you'll get hit by a couple of stray rolls some times, but when she takes 35% midscreen or 49% in the corner because she got ansy on wakeup or didn't want to deal with a poke after a blockstring, it doesn't look so good for her. If she backdashes, who cares.

Offline, the b12 bullying isn't nearly as prominent. It's very easy to tell when a d4 will whiff after a blocked b12 because the range is so specific, not to mention that ex knives or backdash are fantastic options against it on top of the universal meta.

I've played Glue and Gab excessively in this MU so I'm not just playing some scrub Milennas and never have I thought to myself 'I just lost to the MU'.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
@Youphemism @Phosferrax I've always seen this MU as a even if not possibly a unfavourable MU for Mileena. Even though she can compete it is still a problematic MU.

Firstly her anti-zoning tools are decent but if you throw knives at the right range they are not effective unless you counter zone on a read. Roll going under knives is good but there is a sweet spot where you can throw a knife and Roll will go under, but recovers just in front of Kano giving him the advantage. That sweet spot is also a range where telekick cannot be used on reaction due to it's slow startup. So if Roll is hitting you when you throw a knife you just need to space it better.

In the neutral Kano's D4 is a problem as she has nothing to contend it with, adding that it low profiles B1 for free. Even at max range F4 outfootsies her B12. It is possible to whiff punish D4 but to do it consistently is not easy and requires spacing to be on point where only the tips of B12 hit Kano.

Her best damage comes from punishes/armour breaking and not from the mixups. Just from the mixups into Roll/Ex Roll (assuming you guess wrong on the 50/50s) the damage is even.

the point about frame data while generally valid, plays a part in this MU. She doesn't have the pokes to make use of any plus frames she might have from blockstrings except Roll. Kano generally has better buttons.

One more point to add as well is that one of Mileena's strongest attributes is her oki game. But with a 6f safe upball and a backdash that goes half screen, Kano can more or less take the oki out of the equation and bring it back to neutral which imo he has more control over.

As I said in summary it is probably even but if anyone had the edge it would have to be Kano

Last edited:

Youphemism

She doesn't get bigger damage off her mixups or raw roll, only from a punish, so it isn't in her favour to begin with. It's an equal playing field so it can't be considered in her favour just because she has them.
Average 33% meterless vs 28% meterless and 37% for a bar vs 33% for a bar is even? Ok then.
Don't you realise that in order for her to utilize her offense, she has to bet the bar of meter and bet her health? She can't have mixups and safety, that's not how she works. So this great offense you're talking about is as big a risk for her and the reward she gets, resulting in not-so-great offense. I can't see how it could be considered in her favour when it is a straight 50/50; either she gets combo'd or Kano gets combo'd for roughly the same damage, and she needs meter to do it.
And? So does Kano. All she has to do is sit there and wait for an opening, if Kano wants to open someone up he has to take risks himself. It's not like Mileena struggles to build meter, let's not pretend she's not going to have it half the time. I never said she had mixups and safety but you're putting way too much emphasis on her frame data. She does have safe strings she can use. She doesn't need meter to punish, as you say roll goes under some of his strings.
You constantly argue with people about how Cyber is about zoning and space control and how it's good enough to be competitive in this game, but now it doesn't matter because it's just a bit of chip? She can't tele kick on reaction, nor can she ball roll, so if she wants to use the tools then she has to just throw them out on a read. Tele kick is terrible risk/reward for her and roll nets the same damage as she gets punished for. This then boils down to Kano controlling the pace of the neutral game, and doing what he does best; frustrating the opponent into over reaching. Knife beats sai all day and she can't jump at him, so she has to either play like a nutter and deal with the risk, or play the ground game where Kano can contend with her.
Oh look, another person who completely misses the point. Of course it has to be me arguing with others and not them arguing with me. Ok. I don't argue that it's good enough to be competitive in this game, stop putting words in my mouth, I just say that there are some matchups where I feel he could possibly have an advantage. There are several matchups I wouldn't consider playing him over someone else and this is one of them simply because the way Mileena works slows down the way Kano wants to play. I always talk about how he's not going to do that much chip to you in zoning but of course you miss that part because it doesn't help your argument. She can ball roll if she's spacing herself properly. Mileena should be putting herself in a position where roll is a risk so the Kano player has to respect it as an option. Tele kick is horrible risk reward? How? If it lands, full combo. If Kano goes to punish then, what, a mid 20s anti-air punish? Yowza. Yes it's risky but it should be. Kano frustrates the opponent into overreaching? With what? What has Mileena got to be so worried about in this matchup? Cyber's offence isn't that good. Yes his strings are safe but he's minus on almost everything. Knife beats sai all day? That's a trade to lose, her sais do more damage than your knives. All getting hit by a knife does on a trade is help her recover quicker to throw another one. If she's close enough she can instant jump 1 and you're not anti-airing that on reaction.
You realise you're doing just that? Roll going under knives is not a problem. It's a full punish for something she can't do on reaction, how is that a problem? If you're constantly getting hit by roll in the neutral the fault lies with you and not the MU. How can you say I'm bending points to promote my argument if you're going to make statements like whilst also saying this Have you ever actually played against a Milenna offline? You seem to be under the impression that she can do this stuff on reaction, which would matter, but she can't. Roll being unsafe does matter, don't be ridiculous.
Lol how is that not a problem?! She has the ability to completely avoid a tool you need to use to build meter for a full combo. That is always going to be a problem, whether you can do it on reaction or not. Reads breh. I'm not constantly getting hit by roll in neutral, my point is that the threat of that is always there and roll being unsafe doesn't just make that irrelevant. Yes, I have played it offline, and this is why I know that although some of Mileenas tools are unsafe they are still a threat. You assuming what I think isn't progressing this argument any further, I've never said she could do it on reaction. I said it didn't matter if it hits, not that it didn't matter at all. Don't be ridiculous yourself.
The problem is that Milenna doesn't have anything to contend with the d4 except roll, and, hopefully the point is being made by now, it's unsafe and in this instance, I don't think it can be used a reactionary whiff punisher enough of the time to. D4 low profiles b12 and beats all her pokes at that range. Again, you can't acknowledge his d4 is a problem and then pretend like it isn't because other character find it troublesome as well. That's what makes MU's, 'what does my character have that is a problem against your character?' Just because other characters find it hard to deal with doesn't make it universal either, different characters have different tools which means they can deal with it to varying degrees.
F4? F3 (yes I know it's slow) since it low crushes? B2? I thought these would be obvious lol. You're right, D4 does low profile B12 but are you telling me that you're going to D4 on reaction to B12? Yeeeeeeaaaahhhhh not going to happen... I can and will, it's like saying "oh you can't jump at Cassie in this matchup because of flip" even though she has flip against everyone and it is a problem against everyone. Doesn't just suddenly make it any worse for a specific character. D4 is a problem against pretty much everyone, does that mean he wins almost every matchup? Of course not, which is why I think you're overexaggerating how few options Mileena has in neutral.
This is a generalization and lazy point to make, which isn't even true. Johnny Cage is exactly what you're talking about here, yet Cyber does fine against him. Aren't you also of the opinion that Cyber beats Cassie? How can that be as she has a good mixup game and damage? Is Saltshaker on your account?
I don't know if I'd say Johnny is the kind of character that matches that description, his mixup game is kinda meh. I mean more like Quan Chi, Cassie, etc. And they do win more matchups than Cybernetic. Well done for completely misreading what I said, read it again:
This is MKX we're talking about here, a good mixup game that allows you to open up your opponent for more damage than they can get you with is going to win more matches than knives, blockstrings and below average damage/offence.
I'm saying characters like that win more matchups in general. Cybernetic just happens to deal with Cassie well due to her lack of anti-zoning tools which Mileena does have which is why she fares better. Stop making stupid conclusions and at least make sure you're talking about the right thing.
Yes it is a problem but it is equal. Again, it can't be done on reaction, risk/reward is equal, and it is the only offensive option she has to beat a poke after b13, 11, 112, 2f4, 32 and b31. You can't try to make it sound like it's a good thing for her because it isn't a better option. Sure you'll get hit by a couple of stray rolls some times, but when she takes 35% midscreen or 49% in the corner because she got ansy on wakeup or didn't want to deal with a poke after a blockstring, it doesn't look so good for her. If she backdashes, who cares.

Offline, the b12 bullying isn't nearly as prominent. It's very easy to tell when a d4 will whiff after a blocked b12 because the range is so specific, not to mention that ex knives or backdash are fantastic options against it on top of the universal meta.

I've played Glue and Gab excessively in this MU so I'm not just playing some scrub Milennas and never have I thought to myself 'I just lost to the MU'.
Risk reward is slightly in Mileenas favour as I mentioned earlier. Even if it is equal then how does Kano win? It would be even. That's the whole point of 'even'. If you poke after any of those strings and she blocks it it's a good thing for her, now you're minus enough for her to start her offence. Cybernetic will never open you up for 49% in the corner if you're playing someone who knows the matchup, what a hyperbole. How do you expect to open someone up in the corner with nothing but highs mids and lows? If you're hitting them then it's their fault for not playing the matchup properly. At least F3 is grab immune and low crushes despite its speed so you can actually open someone up with it to land Mileena's high corner damage. 49% isn't even a talking point for Kano because against people who play the matchup properly that shouldn't even be a risk.

So you're going to spend a bar on ex knives for.....what exactly? If you're not using it to chip her out or for corner pressure then why exactly would you just throw that out? That's kind of a waste.

And I don't doubt that, but isn't that online? If you happen to have played offline then alright but I just don't think Kano beats her. Even at best imo.
@Youphemism @Phosferrax I've always seen this MU as a even if not possibly unfavourable to MU for Mileena. Even though she can compete it is still a problematic MU.

Firstly her anti-zoning tools are decent but if you throw knives at the right range they are not effective unless they are done on a read. Roll going under knives is good but there is a sweet spot where you can throw a knife and Roll will go under but recovers just in front of Kano, giving him the advantage. That sweet spot is also a range where telekick cannot be used on reaction due to it's slow startup. So if Roll is hitting you when you throw a knife you just need to space it better.

In the neutral Kano's D4 is a problem as she has nothing to contend it with, adding that it low profiles B1 for free. Even at max range F4 outfootsies her B12. It is possible to whiff punish D4 but to do it consistently is not easy and requires spacing to be on point where only the tips of B12 hit Kano.

Her best damage comes from punishes/armour breaking and not from the mixups. Just from the mixups into Roll/Ex Roll (assuming you guess wrong on the 50/50s) the damage is even.

the point about frame data while generally valid it does play a part in this MU. She doesn't have the pokes to make use of any plus frames she might have from blockstrings except Roll. Kano generally has better buttons.

One more point to add as well is that one of Mileena's strongest attributes is her oki game. But with a 6f safe upball and a backdash that goes half screen, Kano can more or less take the oki out of the equation and bring it back to neutral which imo he has more control over.

As I said in summary it is probably even but if anyone had the edge it would have to be Kano
I don't believe she has absolutely no options against Kano's D4, I gave three possible ones to Phos.

I could concede it's even at best but I don't think Kano has an advantage anywhere on screen, especially when Mileena has tools that threaten the optimal playstyle for Cybernetic.