What's new

General/Other - Cybernetic Kano's Cybernetic Variation Discussion Thread

Matix218

Get over here!
Actually that was just the players at EVO not playing optimally ;)

Usually my bnb anyway is any of those starters cancelled into DB1 then (B1/B2)32+4MB, dash, NJP, JIP, run cancel B1, B1, B13~BF3. Gives you about mid 30s in damage. Meterless isn't much, you can either just leave them standing by cancelling a normal or string into DF2 but optimal ender to knock them down is BF3 so it'll be something like starter~BF3 lol.

As for anti air B1 I just keep B1ing so it's B1, B1, B1, B1, run cancel 112~BF3 for about 28% if I remember right :)
Thanks !!!!!! Great information

my approach to cyber kano:

my cybernetic is still somewhat fresh, so forgive me if the combos might not be optimized and the tech is kinda basic. the opponent is an ok quan chi, his mixups and combos were good, but i think if he zoned more he couldve beaten me. normally i would play cutthroat in this matchup, but i still think these matches are a good example of a cyber kano who plays zoning and footsies and not really much up-close pressure.

edit: i always thought there was a gap before ex rune that can be armored, but i suppose im wrong?

Syntonum

Kick when you have to kick.
Doesn't checked the whole thread but in the Meterless Corner section you can go for 112 xx DB1, B312, 11, 11, 112 xx BF3 for 37%
Squeez a 112 xx EXBF3 Cancel in and get to 41%.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

my cybernetic is still somewhat fresh, so forgive me if the combos might not be optimized and the tech is kinda basic. the opponent is an ok quan chi, his mixups and combos were good, but i think if he zoned more he couldve beaten me. normally i would play cutthroat in this matchup, but i still think these matches are a good example of a cyber kano who plays zoning and footsies and not really much up-close pressure.

edit: i always thought there was a gap before ex rune that can be armored, but i suppose im wrong?
Try being more aggressive with knives, you looked a little hesitant sometimes and that gave Quan an opportunity to start zoning. Try and bait him into teleporting so you can punish. Don't EX Kano Ball from full screen, better to keep your meter for combos and EX Kano Ball cancels to get through gaps or for wakeup. You kind of started doing it but try and air Kano Ball more when you see him jump and down skull. Make sure to anti-air him with B1 too into a full conversion when you're near him. Try and use his pokes more too, D3 and D4 anyway since his D1 is shit, and F4 which is one of his best footsie tools. I like your use of B2 though!

The gap before EX Rune only applies to certain strings/normals I think, either that or maybe it's because you're playing online.

Last edited:
ok, one after another @Youphemism

Try being more aggressive with knives, you looked a little hesitant sometimes and that gave Quan an opportunity to start zoning.

thats the point why i was hesitstant, so i could block his zoning. i dont think trades really work in kanos favor here.

Try and bait him into teleporting so you can punish

ah cmon nobody teleports with quan. i dont have the first matches recorded, he did at it first and then never again.

Don't EX Kano Ball from full screen, better to keep your meter for combos and EX Kano Ball cancels to get through gaps or for wakeup.

if i have a good read, id rather armor through a projectile and be in his face with advantage than look for that tiny gap in his zoning while eating tons of chip.

You kind of started doing it but try and air Kano Ball more when you see him jump and down skull

yes. even though i feel like he couldve blocked it here.

Make sure to anti-air him with B1 too into a full conversion when you're near him.

i pretty much gave up on b1 anti air, especially against jip hitboxes like quans. i usually keep my spacing just ouside jump range and b1 gets beaten by a lot of stuff there.

Try and use his pokes more too, D3 and D4 anyway since his D1 is shit, and F4 which is one of his best footsie tools.

i think my poking was alright, but i need to use f4 more for sure.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I'll only point out what I saw from your play, not MU specific advice.

-Like Youph said you need to be more aggressive. I dunno if more knives how I would approach that MU specifically, but you need to either initiate offense more often and faster, or initiate defensive tactics faster. Some people won't give you as much set up time as you had. This could possibly be because you are new to the variation and still putting it together, but try to be more aggressive offensively or defensively. QC's normals are doodoo, so you'd want to pressure him more than other characters, where as Erron you'd want to zone him out with aggressive zoning.

-Pokes. You definitely aren't using enough of them. One thing Kano has is amazing pokes, especially for that MU. You have guaranteed follow ups after some landed pokes, go for them. One of the best D4's in the game which you can run cancel into pressure or go back for zoning, and on block you can D4~knife to catch people pushing buttons. Once they start respecting it you can D4~whatever. Use those low pokes more. They are powerful footsie tools as I'm sure you know already.

-Normals. You're using B23 way too much. That 100% will not fly against good players with faster characters like Cassie and company. When at that range use it less and play the footsie game more with the pokes, F4, knives, and dashes. Once people learn the MU it becomes most a whiff punisher that you can throw out occasionally as a poke. B1 is what you need to do a lot more. As a footsie tool, pressure tool, everything tool. Use combinations of B13, B1~knives, B13~knives, B1~low poke, etc. B1 is the one that catches a lot of people and has good priority. This should be your main normal in Cyber.

-Pressure. You had the right idea, you just have to mix in EX Knives more often up close. All they can do is armor, block, or be hit after EX Knives. So while sometimes you do Gernade as an ender, you have to mix in more "no" Enders and EX Knives enders. So something like B13~EX Knives on block into another B13~something. A lot of times they'll try to attack after the EX Knives so you'll catch them for a combo. Once they learn you can anticipate armor and block it for combo or they keep blocking as you take more chip away from them. It becomes a mind game at that point. Stuff like F4~EX Knives is great too. What you should do less of is 1+3 Enders in strings. Not QC, but the majority of the cast can punish you on block. Use it in a combo mostly if you want the restand, but as a string either end in safe gernade, knife, or EX knives.

-Specials. Only thing I can say here is that you were wasting too much meter on "get out of jail" EX Upball. There were some times you could have just played the footsie game with your pokes/normals but you Upball'd. Possibly because you aren't fully comfortable with Cyber yet. Try to use it a little less when in nuetral or when not being pressured too hard. Also, when going for your EX counters try to make the habit of going EX Ball Cancel more often. You did it a couple of times, but there were times you either missed it or went for the Upball. The reward is too big with Ball Cancel so try using it a little more.

Those are the main character specific things I noticed you can up a notch.

Also, yes you can EX Ball cancel for combo on QC's B32 EX Rune inside the rune.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
ok, one after another @Youphemism

Try being more aggressive with knives, you looked a little hesitant sometimes and that gave Quan an opportunity to start zoning.

thats the point why i was hesitstant, so i could block his zoning. i dont think trades really work in kanos favor here.

Try and bait him into teleporting so you can punish

ah cmon nobody teleports with quan. i dont have the first matches recorded, he did at it first and then never again.

Don't EX Kano Ball from full screen, better to keep your meter for combos and EX Kano Ball cancels to get through gaps or for wakeup.

if i have a good read, id rather armor through a projectile and be in his face with advantage than look for that tiny gap in his zoning while eating tons of chip.

You kind of started doing it but try and air Kano Ball more when you see him jump and down skull

yes. even though i feel like he couldve blocked it here.

Make sure to anti-air him with B1 too into a full conversion when you're near him.

i pretty much gave up on b1 anti air, especially against jip hitboxes like quans. i usually keep my spacing just ouside jump range and b1 gets beaten by a lot of stuff there.

Try and use his pokes more too, D3 and D4 anyway since his D1 is shit, and F4 which is one of his best footsie tools.

i think my poking was alright, but i need to use f4 more for sure.
Most of the time you'll recover in time to block it anyway, don't just assume you lose the trade.

That's not a good enough excuse, Quan has to find a way around your zoning and he has teleport to get around it so be aggressive with knives to the point where they have to teleport.

That's really not an advantageous position for you, you've spent a bar just to put him back into the same position he was already in just to get through one projectile.

If he is doing the down skull or recovering from it he will not be able to block the air Kano ball, that's the point of doing it in that situation lol.

If you've given up on B1 then you shouldn't be playing Cybernetic, it's one of his best normals for multiple reasons.

Actually you weren't using pokes half as much as you should've been, you really don't want him to get in on you.

I'll only point out what I saw from your play, not MU specific advice.

-Like Youph said you need to be more aggressive. I dunno if more knives how I would approach that MU specifically, but you need to either initiate offense more often and faster, or initiate defensive tactics faster. Some people won't give you as much set up time as you had. This could possibly be because you are new to the variation and still putting it together, but try to be more aggressive offensively or defensively. QC's normals are doodoo, so you'd want to pressure him more than other characters, where as Erron you'd want to zone him out with aggressive zoning.

-Pokes. You definitely aren't using enough of them. One thing Kano has is amazing pokes, especially for that MU. You have guaranteed follow ups after some landed pokes, go for them. One of the best D4's in the game which you can run cancel into pressure or go back for zoning, and on block you can D4~knife to catch people pushing buttons. Once they start respecting it you can D4~whatever. Use those low pokes more. They are powerful footsie tools as I'm sure you know already.

-Normals. You're using B23 way too much. That 100% will not fly against good players with faster characters like Cassie and company. When at that range use it less and play the footsie game more with the pokes, F4, knives, and dashes. Once people learn the MU it becomes most a whiff punisher that you can throw out occasionally as a poke. B1 is what you need to do a lot more. As a footsie tool, pressure tool, everything tool. Use combinations of B13, B1~knives, B13~knives, B1~low poke, etc. B1 is the one that catches a lot of people and has good priority. This should be your main normal in Cyber.

-Pressure. You had the right idea, you just have to mix in EX Knives more often up close. All they can do is armor, block, or be hit after EX Knives. So while sometimes you do Gernade as an ender, you have to mix in more "no" Enders and EX Knives enders. So something like B13~EX Knives on block into another B13~something. A lot of times they'll try to attack after the EX Knives so you'll catch them for a combo. Once they learn you can anticipate armor and block it for combo or they keep blocking as you take more chip away from them. It becomes a mind game at that point. Stuff like F4~EX Knives is great too. What you should do less of is 1+3 Enders in strings. Not QC, but the majority of the cast can punish you on block. Use it in a combo mostly if you want the restand, but as a string either end in safe gernade, knife, or EX knives.

-Specials. Only thing I can say here is that you were wasting too much meter on "get out of jail" EX Upball. There were some times you could have just played the footsie game with your pokes/normals but you Upball'd. Possibly because you aren't fully comfortable with Cyber yet. Try to use it a little less when in nuetral or when not being pressured too hard. Also, when going for your EX counters try to make the habit of going EX Ball Cancel more often. You did it a couple of times, but there were times you either missed it or went for the Upball. The reward is too big with Ball Cancel so try using it a little more.

Those are the main character specific things I noticed you can up a notch.

Also, yes you can EX Ball cancel for combo on QC's B32 EX Rune inside the rune.
ok first thanks for the effort. theres a lot of good stuff and some i disagree with. about the agression, generally i wanna play more reactive. i think i did pretty good with making him jump, then trip guarding. my reduced use of b1 and more b2 is due to the fact that my comfort zone lies outside b1 range. but yes im absolutely not familiar enough with cyber to mix in agressive sequences utilizing pokes and ex knives. usually i use pokes as defensive option. and i dont even know frame data on knives and specific strings lol.
the excessive use of upball is something i just recently started. i used to wake up with ball cancels, but as you cant cancel when they are right in front of you, its a high risk and i decided to go for the safer option, sadly with less damage potential (except when im 100% sure about the read). i dont really mind just throwing out the meter, you build it pretty quick in mkx and im confident in my keepout game to do well without it for a while, imo its better than being exposed to momentum which i wanna stop at any cost. im also a fan of early breakers for those reasons.

but ok what i take from your post is, even though i wanna play more reactive, i gotta put a lot of time into exploring cybers offensive Options and mixing them in

Last edited:
Most of the time you'll recover in time to block it anyway, don't just assume you lose the trade.

That's not a good enough excuse, Quan has to find a way around your zoning and he has teleport to get around it so be aggressive with knives to the point where they have to teleport.

That's really not an advantageous position for you, you've spent a bar just to put him back into the same position he was already in just to get through one projectile.

If he is doing the down skull or recovering from it he will not be able to block the air Kano ball, that's the point of doing it in that situation lol.

If you've given up on B1 then you shouldn't be playing Cybernetic, it's one of his best normals for multiple reasons.

Actually you weren't using pokes half as much as you should've been, you really don't want him to get in on you.
1. what if he mixes runes or bat in? he wins the zoning vs commndo, doesnt he vs cyber?
2. i have never seen any good quan user teleport more than once in 5 matches lol
3. straight ball has good Advantage and allows oki pressure, i dont see whats wrong with it
4. ok good to know, it looked like he couldve blocked
5. just given up on it as anti-air in most cases
6. hm gotta explore cybers poke game more. normally i use them to get out of pressure.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
1. what if he mixes runes or bat in? he wins the zoning vs commndo, doesnt he vs cyber?
2. i have never seen any good quan user teleport more than once in 5 matches lol
3. straight ball has good Advantage and allows oki pressure, i dont see whats wrong with it
4. ok good to know, it looked like he couldve blocked
5. just given up on it as anti-air in most cases
6. hm gotta explore cybers poke game more. normally i use them to get out of pressure.
Kano loses the zoning war when compared to Quan Cheese. If you want to play Cybernetic, you have to realize that your whole gameplay is going to be revolving around poking and using safe strings.

-You want to abuse the fuck out of B1 as well as his awesome D4. Mix up pressure with B1, B13, B13 grenade, b31, 2, d4/d3, and throwing the occasional EX knives to keep them honest.
-B31 is +1 and 2 is +2 but they're kinda slow and 2 hits high so try using them sparingly.
-B1 is a 9 frame mid with decent range, great anti-air properties, and is only -2 on block, b13(-1 on block) is good for if you think they will try to poke out after the B1 so you can do b13 laser to combo. B13 grenade is for if you think they will try to poke out after the b13 and if you MB the grenade it will launch for a full combo, note that it is negative on block so characters like Kung lao can EX spin and punish.
-Both D4 and D3 are 8 frames but D3 is - on block and has no pushblock, and D4 is neutral but does have pushback it also lowers your hitbox alot. Once you learn how to run in after landing a d4 on hit then there's not much of a point in using D3.
-Ex Knives are +5 on block, so you can use them to keep the pressure on them. But nothing is guaranteed after Ex knives because they can backdash, you can try to read this and do B23 to hit their backdash.

Other good normals he has are:
B23, a very long range somewhat slow normal with terrible priority but is good for getting in. It is quite negative on block though
F4, similar purpose to B23. It's faster has good priority, but trades off with range and can't be hitconfirmed into laser like b23

Kano loses the zoning war when compared to Quan Cheese. If you want to play Cybernetic, you have to realize that your whole gameplay is going to be revolving around poking and using safe strings.

-You want to abuse the fuck out of B1 as well as his awesome D4. Mix up pressure with B1, B13, B13 grenade, b31, 2, d4/d3, and throwing the occasional EX knives to keep them honest.
-B31 is +1 and 2 is +2 but they're kinda slow and 2 hits high so try using them sparingly.
-B1 is a 9 frame mid with decent range, great anti-air properties, and is only -2 on block, b13(-1 on block) is good for if you think they will try to poke out after the B1 so you can do b13 laser to combo. B13 grenade is for if you think they will try to poke out after the b13 and if you MB the grenade it will launch for a full combo, note that it is negative on block so characters like Kung lao can EX spin and punish.
-Both D4 and D3 are 8 frames but D3 is - on block and has no pushblock, and D4 is neutral but does have pushback it also lowers your hitbox alot. Once you learn how to run in after landing a d4 on hit then there's not much of a point in using D3.
-Ex Knives are +5 on block, so you can use them to keep the pressure on them. But nothing is guaranteed after Ex knives because they can backdash, you can try to read this and do B23 to hit their backdash.

Other good normals he has are:
B23, a very long range somewhat slow normal with terrible priority but is good for getting in. It is quite negative on block though
F4, similar purpose to B23. It's faster has good priority, but trades off with range and can't be hitconfirmed into laser like b23
thx, i know kanos gereral data, just not the cyber specific. i will have to work on my offensive sequences, but as a general gameplan id rather try to develope something around zoning, footsies, AAs, tripguards... because i think knives are too good and his offensive options too lacking (yes people cry for an Overhead) to have a different main gameplan. wish me luck.

oh and if i had to suggest buffs: faster, longer air laser; more damage on MB knives

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
ok first thanks for the effort. theres a lot of good stuff and some i disagree with. about the agression, generally i wanna play more reactive. i think i did pretty good with making him jump, then trip guarding. my reduced use of b1 and more b2 is due to the fact that my comfort zone lies outside b1 range. but yes im absolutely not familiar enough with cyber to mix in agressive sequences utilizing pokes and ex knives. usually i use pokes as defensive option. and i dont even know frame data on knives and specific strings lol.
the excessive use of upball is something i just recently started. i used to wake up with ball cancels, but as you cant cancel when they are right in front of you, its a high risk and i decided to go for the safer option, sadly with less damage potential (except when im 100% sure about the read). i dont really mind just throwing out the meter, you build it pretty quick in mkx and im confident in my keepout game to do well without it for a while, imo its better than being exposed to momentum which i wanna stop at any cost. im also a fan of early breakers for those reasons.

but ok what i take from your post is, even though i wanna play more reactive, i gotta put a lot of time into exploring cybers offensive Options and mixing them in
Yea true. A better way of saying it is you can play more aggressively on offense, and reactive/read based on defense. It's likely that you're more hesitant due to unfamiliarity than anything else, but once you get more push those are the right tools to do it with.

Your reads were pretty good so I think you should use the variation more often. It's at its best when played that way. Thing about B2 is the slow speed and weak priority gets beat out by string starters of a lot of the cast. That's a good range for him because it best utilizes his dashes as well.

One of the good things about the variation is it has lots of meter. I figured you used the Upball for the safe option rather than risk, but I think you have to take those hard reads more often in this variation because of its low damage and low opportunities for combos. I'll usually take more risk with it in a MU like that because of QC's poor normals and WU game.

Yea definitely keep playing reactive defensive, but offensively mix in more B1's+stuff and pokes for sure. Some stuff like F4~EX knives into B13 for example is golden.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Also I just want to mention since ya'll arent, the effectiveness of throws really shouldn't be overlooked, and should be considered part of his pressure sequence, especially in cyber. It's really interesting to see your play since you're not using any of his best pokes that I use CONSTANTLY during a match but you're still getting wins. I'd be really curious to see your CT play since he has all the pokes I'm thinking about in there as well (2, 2F4, F4, D4, 11). Work on developing the use of those pokes on top of your zoning game. You do a lot of hard knockdown into Backdash, which I do as well, but don't be afraid to get on top of the enemy, ESPECIALLY in a matchup like Quan where you know his options are limited.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Also I just want to mention since ya'll arent, the effectiveness of throws really shouldn't be overlooked, and should be considered part of his pressure sequence, especially in cyber. It's really interesting to see your play since you're not using any of his best pokes that I use CONSTANTLY during a match but you're still getting wins. I'd be really curious to see your CT play since he has all the pokes I'm thinking about in there as well (2, 2F4, F4, D4, 11). Work on developing the use of those pokes on top of your zoning game. You do a lot of hard knockdown into Backdash, which I do as well, but don't be afraid to get on top of the enemy, ESPECIALLY in a matchup like Quan where you know his options are limited.
11 is good on paper terrible in reality though

FlappyDaniel

I know it whiffs a lot but it's still very good if you can place it correctly since it's our fastest option to hit confirm into more damage at 8 frames.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
thx, i know kanos gereral data, just not the cyber specific. i will have to work on my offensive sequences, but as a general gameplan id rather try to develope something around zoning, footsies, AAs, tripguards... because i think knives are too good and his offensive options too lacking (yes people cry for an Overhead) to have a different main gameplan. wish me luck.

oh and if i had to suggest buffs: faster, longer air laser; more damage on MB knives
They should really fix that air laser. Maybe better recovery so it can be used mid combos to build a bit of meter for ex knives advantage.

Its better to use his "zoning" as bait to gain better position on screen or like you said trip guard.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I know it whiffs a lot but it's still very good if you can place it correctly since it's our fastest option to hit confirm into more damage at 8 frames.
I'd take b1 over it any day as it crushes low profiling moves and has better mix up potential (b1, b13, b13 laser, b13 grenade, b13 ex knife). Also better range

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I don't see anyone talking about b13 laser. It is unsafe and might not be the best option vs QC but Kano's amazing backdash means you can backdash after it and punish their poke/punish attempt.

FlappyDaniel

Yes, I agree, if you notice I was talking about only the ones he also had in CT in that context. Also B1 is 9 frames so there are some situations where it wont cut it. It's definitely not "terrible in reality" if you use it sparingly and know when to place it.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I don't see anyone talking about b13 laser. It is unsafe and might not be the best option vs QC but Kano's amazing backdash means you can backdash after it and punish their poke/punish attempt.
You're still negative enough to be punished after it. Play with people who are familiar with the cybernetic MU and they'll punish it everytime, backdash or not.

Also Flappy is right, abuse the fuck out of throws with cybernetic. Especially considering he has no overheads of anykind.

FlappyDaniel

You're still negative enough to be punished after it. Play with people who are familiar with the cybernetic MU and they'll punish it everytime, backdash or not.

Also Flappy is right, abuse the fuck out of throws with cybernetic. Especially considering he has no overheads of anykind.
JI 1,2,3,4 are overheads :DOGE

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

Nah really depends on their moveset. But yeah throws are the backbone of Cyber

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yes, I agree, if you notice I was talking about only the ones he also had in CT in that context. Also B1 is 9 frames so there are some situations where it wont cut it. It's definitely not "terrible in reality" if you use it sparingly and know when to place it.
My bad

Yea true. A better way of saying it is you can play more aggressively on offense, and reactive/read based on defense. It's likely that you're more hesitant due to unfamiliarity than anything else, but once you get more push those are the right tools to do it with.

Your reads were pretty good so I think you should use the variation more often. It's at its best when played that way. Thing about B2 is the slow speed and weak priority gets beat out by string starters of a lot of the cast. That's a good range for him because it best utilizes his dashes as well.

One of the good things about the variation is it has lots of meter. I figured you used the Upball for the safe option rather than risk, but I think you have to take those hard reads more often in this variation because of its low damage and low opportunities for combos. I'll usually take more risk with it in a MU like that because of QC's poor normals and WU game.

Yea definitely keep playing reactive defensive, but offensively mix in more B1's+stuff and pokes for sure. Some stuff like F4~EX knives into B13 for example is golden.
the one more thing i wanna say about his offense is, that it will die at some point. you can only hit on block so many times without getting countered. i remember that Coach Steve match at ceo(?) where he went in too hard to close the round and got punished for it and lost. it really should only tick off when you got the knife and spacing game going as you wish, or on knockdown, and not repeat too often before mixing in a throw, armor or back off. you can still get good safe damage from far. these pace changes at the right moments are probably the key to success with cyber.

about b2, yes its probably not as good preemtive in the neutral, but as whiff punish and trip guard its pretty gdlk.

thats what i mean, the fact that im getting those wins even though im not doing what more experienced cyber players do, just shows ho powerful kano is in this kind of play. if you use the best of both worlds, we will finally see the power of kano.

oh and from my CT you will mostly be seeing dropped combos. :D commando is my best.

They should really fix that air laser. Maybe better recovery so it can be used mid combos to build a bit of meter for ex knives advantage.

Its better to use his "zoning" as bait to gain better position on screen or like you said trip guard.
its for sure not lockdown zoning, more a tool to make the opponent move like you want him too.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
^^ Agree bout the throws. They are important for Cyber and I forgot to mention them. He needs it for his pressure game since he doesn't have true mixups.

Disagree about using 11 in the nuetral. Virtually no reason to take the risk using this string when you can use B1 and it's many multi purposes. 112 should be used strictly as a punisher/combo string for highest damage, but that's about it imo.