What's new

Kano after patch 1.10 discussion

CriticalDrop

Beers, grabs & dropped combos
I know it is being discussed in the main Kano discussion forum. But I think the changes made to our boi Kano are big enough to have their own thread to discuss new tech and strategies.
Let's remember the patch notes:

· Kano - Added the Kompetitive Mode preset "Ratbag" which has the following Abilities - Snake Bite (2) and Optic Blast (1)

· Kano - Optic Blast now does 80 damage (up from 50)

· Kano - Blade Evade (Away + Front Punch) startup is 10 (down from 13)

· Kano - Lunging Brute (Towards + Front Punch) now hits mid

· Kano - Spewin’ (Towards + Front Punch, Back Punch) now does 20 damage (up from 0) and has 2 less startup frames

· Kano - Adjusted the hit region and changed the ground & air reaction to the first hit of Snake Bite

Apart from the new variation, the most notable changes are obviously F1 becoming a mid and B1 being 10 frames. After several moths of suffering and people disrespecting Kano we finally get two useful mids. One of them, an advancing 13f mid with plus frames (+1) on block, a great pressure tool. The other one is now a fast (10f) mid that leaves Kano at footsies range.
Let's discuss how these changes and new variation (ratbag) do impact in his gameplan.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Need to test stuff but some thoughts:

• unsure of how useful b1 is. If it still doesn't combo with snakebite midscreen it's kinda meh. I mean you get nice plus frames but you can't really hit confirm it. So post poke on hit (because you have to be point blank) you you catch them looking for a throw and now you're plus but slightly backed up. Don't know. Even if you could hit confirm you get ball or knife which is at most decent
  • dirtbag has some dirty stuff with b1 and f1 in the corner. That just got a lot better.
  • new optic blast is cool.
  • new f1 is really cool but I'm assuming they can duck the second hit?
  • I actually think the third variation has a place. And he might fit my playstyle better than his other variations. Stay away with optic blast. Punish them trying to get in with f12 into snakebite and end in snakebite for oki or ball for keepaway. Repeat. If they get the life lead: get in with f3, be scary with combo potential.
  • ratbag..... really? So now we have dirtbag and ratbag? Great.

CriticalDrop

new f1 is really cool but I'm assuming they can duck the second hit?
Yep, I confirmed it yesterday before going bed. F12B2 is now mid, high, overhead.
It seems that it's ratbag wich will benefit most from the new F1, as snake bite has to be respected after F1, so I think the stagger pressure here has great potential.

Murderation76

knife boi
Basically, Kano can play MK11 now. F1 being a mid is tremendous. 13f mid that is +1 on block is crazy. Kano can now enforce F1 mid pressure on most of his knockdowns, it should be the go to meaty. Lumbar check oki is much scarier with mid F1.
Not mentioned in the notes is the hitbox adjustment on second hit of F12B2. The spit no longer whiffs on crouch blocking males--must be neutral duck. If opponent stand blocks F1 it jails into spit, if they crouch block F1 they can down poke out of the string. F1 being +1 on block means you can frame trap into D1 to enforce respect. On females, the spit still whiffs crouch blockers like before... so don't do that shit lol.

unsure of how useful b1 is. If it still doesn't combo with snakebite midscreen it's kinda meh. I mean you get nice plus frames but you can't really hit confirm it. So post poke on hit (because you have to be point blank) you you catch them looking for a throw and now you're plus but slightly backed up. Don't know. Even if you could hit confirm you get ball or knife which is at most decent
After you land a poke, F1 is now guaranteed--- and being hit confirmable and plus on block---should be the go to mid in that situation. B1 is still situational, but useful. In situations where you are slightly advantageous, like say you block a string and are +4, B1xxknife becomes a strong, safe counterpoke option that will beat out D1 mashers. Also, the plus frames after B1xxknife toss now guarantee an F1 to start offense, where before we would B3 and lose our turn if blocked.

Last edited:

kantboy-2

Ripper
If the opponent continues to stand block; F1,2, optic blast, D1, B1 ad infinity to go back to snake bite/F1 distance and condition crouch?

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
After you land a poke, F1 is now guaranteed--- and being hit confirmable and plus on block---should be the go to mid in that situation. B1 is still situational, but useful. In situations where you are slightly advantageous, like say you block a string and are +4, B1xxknife becomes a strong, safe counterpoke option that will beat out D1 mashers. Also, the plus frames after B1xxknife toss now guarantee an F1 to start offense, where before we would B3 and lose our turn if blocked.
I am not understanding why people keep saying this...If it's a mid isn't it already guaranteed?

CriticalDrop

Has anybody test if they've actually nerfed third variation damage. I don't know if it is an scaling thing or if they've nerfed Snake bite's base damage, but yesterday I noticed that I wasn't able to get as much damage as before with combos, I think somebody else has pointed this already.
As soon as I have the time to turn on my ps4 I'd try to compare it with the last Biohazard's video (sadly, I don't have any pre-patch record of those combos)

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I am not understanding why people keep saying this...If it's a mid isn't it already guaranteed?
Depends on the hit advantage of the poke and startup of the mid, for example if your d1 is +10 and your fastest mid is 19frames anything with 8frames or faster can interrupt it. But that‘s not the case for most characters so usually that‘s correct yes

Murderation76

knife boi
Yes... however, up until this patch F1 was a high. If you used it after landing a poke an opponent mashing any down poke would beat it out or even D2 KB your ass, making it a terrible option. Against a disrespectful opponent, Kano's options before patch after D1 were: Jailing a S1 or S2 (requires just-frame, very inconsistent online), B1xxknife (safe but low reward and little follow-up pressure), F2 (decent damage but death on block) or obnoxious shit like double or triple D1s. F1, being a mid now, shines above all these other options.

Has anybody test if they've actually nerfed third variation damage. I don't know if it is an scaling thing or if they've nerfed Snake bite's base damage, but yesterday I noticed that I wasn't able to get as much damage as before with combos, I think somebody else has pointed this already.
As soon as I have the time to turn on my ps4 I'd try to compare it with the last Biohazard's video (sadly, I don't have any pre-patch record of those combos)
So.... Snakebite absolutely had damage scaling increased yesterday---but it seems to be hotfixed back to pre-patch damage? Can anyone else confirm this? For example, yesterday 22xxsnakebite B2 F2xxkanoball was doing 23%. However, testing it right now it's back up to 30%. This is great if I'm correct.

Last edited:

CriticalDrop

So.... Snakebite absolutely had damage scaling increased yesterday---but it seems to be hotfixed back to pre-patch damage? Can anyone else confirm this? For example, yesterday 22xxsnakebite B2 F2xxkanoball was doing 23%. However, testing it right now it's back up to 30%. This is great if I'm correct.
I've just tested it against Biohazard vs Hobeybee prepatch video and now 22xxDB3,B2,F2xxKanoball does exactly the same damage as before the patch (300.75)
So if it was nerfed at some point, I suppose it was a mistake and has been hot fixed

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Never touched this character before , today ive spent 30 min in lab with his new var since i like zoning , learned some bnbs and went onlne . Dont know if im gonna play him but he doesnt feel low tier for sure .

I've just tested it against Biohazard vs Hobeybee prepatch video and now 22xxDB3,B2,F2xxKanoball does exactly the same damage as before the patch (300.75)
So if it was nerfed at some point, I suppose it was a mistake and has been hot fixed
Ya, Monday night it was doing about 6% less, but they seemed to have fixed it by Tuesday morning.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Ya, Monday night it was doing about 6% less, but they seemed to have fixed it by Tuesday morning.
There were actually two patches. Or rather one patch which was packed up in two packets. Basically I started the game and it had third variations but none of the changes (f1 was a high, b1 13 frames). I restarted my ps4 and it was fixed.

Not that it really matters now but I thought I'd explain the reason for this confusion.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
b1 is so easily hit confirmable, i use it when the opponent is getting up and its footsie rich or option selectable..theres no reason to get blown up by random jade d2's anymore. let me know if you want me to elaborate

kinger

Noob
Was testing out some hit confirms into vege and 22 vege seems. Good and safe amd easy to do but I dont use it much. B1 into vege up ball amp hurts bad but is very hard for me to hit confirm. Anyway b1 would be strong if you could hit confirm in dirtbag. I think it hurts like 240.

Zer0_h0ur

Never touched this character before , today ive spent 30 min in lab with his new var since i like zoning , learned some bnbs and went onlne . Dont know if im gonna play him but he doesnt feel low tier for sure .
I learned him Monday and I'm having fun with him in KL.

Def go ratbag with characters that got good projectiles. Cassie, sub off top of my head.
And change KB to manual so you can get the free 25% optic KB when you really need it.
If you corner someone with rat bag you can get the b3 and optic KB so easily. That's a free 50%

Zer0_h0ur

b1 is so easily hit confirmable, i use it when the opponent is getting up and its footsie rich or option selectable..theres no reason to get blown up by random jade d2's anymore. let me know if you want me to elaborate
Go on
I use it to OS knife / optic but how's that help against jade d2

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
F1 being a +1 mid that goes into a string that is +2
F1xxKnife jailing
F12xxKnife jailing into another F1 (knife is +14)

After a good amount of time, I could finally say that Kano is officially a serious threat now. No joke.

He is definitely not low tier anymore.

Many people are going crazy over the new Ratbag variation, but honestly, Ripper is BETTER THAN EVER now and I just can't stay away. My win streaks and win record has never been at this crazy level before as a Kano loyalist. I'm BEYOND happy.

I'm going to try to start working on an updated Kano matchup chart for Ripper soon.

Spoiler: It's WAAAAY more favorable than before.

Last edited:

kinger

Noob
F1 being a +1 mid that goes into a string that is +2
F1xxKnife jailing
F12xxKnife jailing into another F1 (knife is +14)

After a good amount of time, I could finally say that Kano is officially a serious threat now. No joke.

He is definitely not low tier anymore.

Many people are going crazy over the new Ratbag variation, but honestly, Ripper is BETTER THAN EVER now and I just can't stay away. My win streaks and win record has never been at this crazy level before as a Kano loyalist. I'm BEYOND happy.

I'm going to try to start working on an updated Kano matchup chart for Ripper soon.

Spoiler: It's WAAAAY more favorable than before.
Wait F1 jails with knife? Mustard did a video on the different chars with the f12b2 string. Didnt really know it was so char dependent. Will probably change his matchup chart

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Wait F1 jails with knife? Mustard did a video on the different chars with the f12b2 string. Didnt really know it was so char dependent. Will probably change his matchup chart
F1xxKnife is a must in some matchups imo.