What's new

Kabal vs Kung Lao

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
What do you interrupt spin with?

21 spin, 24 overhead, 24 tele? Spin? Poke?

Anyone have videos of this against a high level kabal?

Also whats your general strategy vs Kabal w Lao? How well can lao keep kabal out or do you wanna rush him down?

Any advice and strats would be appreciated

Also whats your general strategy vs Kabal w Lao? How well can lao keep kabal out or do you wanna rush him down?

Currently working on it ourselves. Right now we figure its an in and out game. Using his mobility. Don't wanna stay in too long cause of the flash parry and don't wanna out either cause of iagbs. I imagine a lot of meter will be needed. We can only hope the Kabal player is having a bad day honestly.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

Pig Of The Hut

Stay in divekick range, wait for low saw, divekick Ex spin, win game.

None of Kabals armour will beat KLs armour, if ur gonna interupt his dash cancels use 21, if he starts poking you can still 21 before he can hit you with a standing normal even if his poke lands.
So if he does a d3 jump over will 21 hit him during the jump?

1 hits mid right?

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I saw FOREVER KING played a high level Kabal with Kung Lao at some tournament that was streamed, I don't know where the video is though but I think someone posted it here months back.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"

There is no risk in 21 hit confirmed into Spin, I like to take even less risk with 24 as it won't wiff as much as 21, its -1 on block, and +4 on hit, you don't have to finish with command grab either and if you do, finish with the leg bar grab so he can't get away, you can continue pressure from 24, but 21 is the best option.

Against Kabal, you want him to be close as possible, and try his rush down game, and attempt to dash cancel on you, as your spin and :bp will eat him alive, and if you can't get close, try be as close as possible to JIP and short nomad dash cancel range, even dive kicking over a predicted Buzz saw, if you want to teleport, :ex teleport grab wiff cannot be beaten by any armoured move kabal has, only :x.

My gameplan is very simple, stay close at all times, and build for :x, once you have :x you limit almost everything Kabal can do upclose, and the D3 crossover thing you were worried about, not when you have :x, any crossover option is completely null and void.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"

1 hits mid right?
If Kabal doesn't hit confirm his D3, your standing 24 Grab, as the 2 will will check him if he tried to jump over you and the 4 grab will connect, of course your uppercut on reaction will stuff that also, d3 lowers your hit box as the opponent crosses over.

You should practice reversing your spin as the opponent is crossing over, its hard to do, but excellent when you nail it.

1 is high, and will defiantly catch the jump over.

Lulzlou

Noob
I'm not a good kabal so I can only give my experience with the Laos I played. The Laos I play are never high level though

Kung Lao has to take a lot of risks against kabal because if he respects kabal too much, Kabal will be free to do whatever he wants. You don't want Kabal to have that advantage so Lao needs good footsies and reads. Pay attention to the Kabal's NDC and see if there is a pattern or overall flowchart. Lao will blow up flowchart Kabals, I used to be flowchart with my presure so I would know lol. If you do notice a pattern don't spin or 21 out at the same time every chance he can pressure you. Sacrifice giving him meter and blow up his pressure when he doesn't expect it. Kabal can't ex dash low hat from full screen so throw those out from time to time when there is distance between you both. He will have to take the chip, iagb or jump over it. If you can keep Kabal trapped in the corner, you'll make it even harder for him. Like UsedForGlue said, xray will limit Kabal and make him respect you and not rushdown. Only breaker when Kabal uses his b121 combo or when you absolutely need to.

I'll be willing to grind that MU with any Laos on psn.

Lulzlou

Noob
I play Kung Lao. would be cool to record our matches and put them up for scrutiny/discussion. if we could play and then show people the matches it would be more evident on the strategies needed to play the MU properly.
Ah I see. Well whenever GamerBlake runs another stream, I'll be glad to have matches on there and then post it here afterwards. I'll actually play the match up like I'm suppose to, usually play online only to try new things and see if I could get away with them.

Pig Of The Hut

Ah I see. Well whenever GamerBlake runs another stream, I'll be glad to have matches on there and then post it here afterwards. I'll actually play the match up like I'm suppose to, usually play online only to try new things and see if I could get away with them.
now we're talking

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Hmm... ive derived a couple strategies from that video

- F3 hit confirmed into spin can knock Kabal out of iaGB at ~half screen distance
- Although Master D was doing a brilliant job of punishing tele3, it looks to have some use at stopping full screen iaGB (ex reverse input nomad dash as counter?)
- You cannot respect Kabal too much up close. Spin and 21 will get you out of Kabal pressure if timed right, you gotta throw those out there. Forever Ghosty was doing a brilliant job of this.
- No dive kicks at anywhere but up close, iaGB will eat you for breakfast

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I'll give random food for thought.
1. Stop teleporting ffs. Play the character as if he had no teleport. Don't even use EX Teleport.
2. Stay in jip distance. If kabal even thinks about iAGB, hitconfirm a f+3 into spin, as said.
3. D3, crossover? Why would anyone jump over Kung Lao. Spin that motherfucker! 2,4 and 2,1 are good ideas too.
4. Throws
5. Punish a blocked nomad dash with 2,1, does more damage.
6. Get balls and risk yourself with 2,1, spin when he's NDCing you. Kung Lao is a risky character

7. I'm not sure about this one, but if you're just outside jip range and he throws a buzzsaw, I think you can react with an instant dive kick.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
-Okay don't COMPLETELY ignore teleport, it's just another option to get in. Don't get too risky with it, obviously.
-Controlling the distance vs kabal is tough, and I'm pretty sure a low iagb will stuff f3
-cross overs can and should be blown up by KL
-Not sure if you meant this, but i don't see why you would risk a spin instead of hitconfirming it.

-Can KL whiff a divekick on reaction to buzzsaw for a whiff punish? I'm sure the spacing and timing is tight.

Hmm... ive derived a couple strategies from that video

- F3 hit confirmed into spin can knock Kabal out of iaGB at ~half screen distance
- Although Master D was doing a brilliant job of punishing tele3, it looks to have some use at stopping full screen iaGB (ex reverse input nomad dash as counter?)
- You cannot respect Kabal too much up close. Spin and 21 will get you out of Kabal pressure if timed right, you gotta throw those out there. Forever Ghosty was doing a brilliant job of this.
- No dive kicks at anywhere but up close, iaGB will eat you for breakfast
you cant hitconfirm f3 into spin

1 hits mid right?
the 1 in 21 will hit anyone on neutral crouch state even mileena. even though standing 2 is 7 frames the 1 wont come out fast enough to avoid any d1,2,3,4. the 1 in 21 comes out at 23 frames, i asked somberness.

Pig Of The Hut

you cant hitconfirm f3 into spin

the 1 in 21 will hit anyone on neutral crouch state even mileena. even though standing 2 is 7 frames the 1 wont come out fast enough to avoid any d1,2,3,4. the 1 in 21 comes out at 23 frames, i asked somberness.

Thanks man

I understand this MU now

Anaheim here i come