What's new

Video/Tutorial Joker Teeth Combos and Setups

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Not sure how many people are using this stuff, but I'm finding some issues with the teeth loops. Some characters have slightly different hitboxes (not the same ones that whiff parts of 212 interestingly enough) that cause them to not get hit by the teeth after a ji3 pretty often. From playing with some friends this weekend I found that doomsday and black adam are both like this, so you have to pretty much always try to use ji2 as the overhead to get things started against them, and in the corner the teeth following the second ji2 tends to miss, so you have to use ji3 on the second one and then finish with teeth 3 flower 3 flower from there; only lose 1% damage, just annoying. Gonna start going through characters to see who else is like this, but so far its just those two (superman, batman, GL, and aquaman were all normal).

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hey guys I finally got around to making my video
My first tech vid so its probably pretty hard to understand, but if you have questions let me know.
You guys probably already know how it works cuz i've posted about it a few times, but here it is

It gives Joker access to his hard to block teeth set ups midscreen
The only way to escape is to wake up attack and guess correctly on the tech roll
If they read correctly on the tech roll, you are still safe and can play the wake up 50/50 game.

Main idea is if they do not wake up upon guessing wrong on the tech roll they eat the unblockable.
Execution is kinda tough but you just gotta practice.

Hope it helps

Edit: Also pay attention to the inputs as Batman so you understand what is happening. I.e. what doesnt work as an escape.

laudanum09
StevoSuprem0
Cat
Ren21
Dr Jackal
Qwark28
Gysbert
MetaSkipper
AA25Mamba
SIK JOKER
Wild Card

laudanum09

Darling
Gilbagz just watched the vid....umm is this the holy grail of teeth setup vids or what???

The close teeth isn't a bad guess. You're dropping the combo and I can see how it'd be obvious and also hard to spot when to tech roll, especially if youve done the entire combo from start to finish. Tech rolls in this game aren't forgiving, at least for me coming from SF4 (mash buttons lol) and Mahvel 3 (hold back lol), so you kinda need to know when you're hitting the floor.

Punishing the roll seems solid because of that bounce of the teeth. That gives just enough time to get you up in the air before they recover from the roll...very nice. I haven't watched closely or tested it myself so my understanding of the setup is pretty simple. I'll give more feedback once I've messed around with it myself but I can't wait to hear what others have to say about it.

Your initial post was nice but derp we need vids to really feel the impact. This tech seems invaluable and now we've got a great visual reference. Cheers Gilbagz or should I say...GILBERT? :joker:

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Gilbagz just watched the vid....umm is this the holy grail of teeth setup vids or what???

The close teeth isn't a bad guess. You're dropping the combo and I can see how it'd be obvious and also hard to spot when to tech roll, especially if youve done the entire combo from start to finish. Tech rolls in this game aren't forgiving, at least for me coming from SF4 (mash buttons lol) and Mahvel 3 (hold back lol), so you kinda need to know when you're hitting the floor.

Punishing the roll seems solid because of that bounce of the teeth. That gives just enough time to get you up in the air before they recover from the roll...very nice. I haven't watched closely or tested it myself so my understanding of the setup is pretty simple. I'll give more feedback once I've messed around with it myself but I can't wait to hear what others have to say about it.

Your initial post was nice but derp we need vids to really feel the impact. This tech seems invaluable and now we've got a great visual reference. Cheers Gilbagz or should I say...GILBERT? :joker:
lol thanks took me long enough to get the vid up, been putting it off for too long.
Hopefully it pushes Joker up a bit. Grants him continuous offence though. One touch and that can be the end of the round with this mix up game.
There are holes in it with some characters with easy escape wake ups not giving a shit about it, but I think midscreen it opens up alot of options. We just gotta work on execution.
And even if we can't pull off the just frame it opens up a ridiculous 50/50 game even without the unblockable based on the teeth timing.

StevoSuprem0

Good shit Gilbagz, that pretty much sums up all the ways to get out and how to make reads to either counter that or at least know it's coming and adjust accordingly. In the KF and Batman matchup, they tend to start sliding alot, especially in the corner, so some options to keep them there are low block -> pushblock or a low parry (but then you have to deal with the speed "buff"... lol). Either way, awesome addition to the thread man.

Good. This is a great video explaining Joker Teeth Tech. The whole teeth gimmic tech can be easily explained however I like how you went into deep detail as to how some setups are avoidable (lol yolo super)

Its always nice to have visuals! Thanks for the vid.

StevoSuprem0

Came up with another option off of the strings I initially posted that I don't think has been explored yet; to summarize a bit, I tend to start by doing the full BnB make them expect more, and then I shorten it at random places to catch them off guard. One option is to drop the combo after b3 and dash under. This is a great way to reposition them into the corner if you were there, or just mix them up in general.
I just kinda threw this together- the dash can be done faster on the first segment to really mix them up, I was just being lazy, didn't wanna re-record haha... Using this should work well against characters with good wakeups because you will quickly change the directional inputs on them which should mix them up. This is all without techrolls- if they start rolling, I don't think the teeth will be able to catch them, so you'll have to dash back and try to keep the pressure on with a ji3 or some footsies. Sorry this isn't more comprehensive, figured I'd throw it out there though.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Came up with another option off of the strings I initially posted that I don't think has been explored yet; to summarize a bit, I tend to start by doing the full BnB make them expect more, and then I shorten it at random places to catch them off guard. One option is to drop the combo after b3 and dash under. This is a great way to reposition them into the corner if you were there, or just mix them up in general.
I just kinda threw this together- the dash can be done faster on the first segment to really mix them up, I was just being lazy, didn't wanna re-record haha... Using this should work well against characters with good wakeups because you will quickly change the directional inputs on them which should mix them up. This is all without techrolls- if they start rolling, I don't think the teeth will be able to catch them, so you'll have to dash back and try to keep the pressure on with a ji3 or some footsies. Sorry this isn't more comprehensive, figured I'd throw it out there though.
Nice stuff man. Reminds me of Reptiles dash ghetto reset. Nice to know to grab easy damage when people aren't ready.
And even still you force a 50/50 if they miss the wake up timing.

StevoSuprem0

Yeah that would be alot more interesting than walking around faster... but I'm really hoping they just get away from any kinda of speed buff from the parry for him. That's a story for another thread :rolleyes:

StevoSuprem0

I saw this and then immediately tried it online and it worked. lololol
Sick. The crossup is really fast if you time it right, so I can imagine it being really tough to track. Then to screw them up more, switch from crossing up to just a neutral jump, f3, or just a normal combo starter. Plenty of options =). Techrolls are still the enemy though, so training them to expect a longer combo first is probably a good idea.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Nice tech, it's quite the same tech than reptile in MK9 ;) To be honest I haven't got this idea. Well... ACCEPTED ! ;)

StevoSuprem0

Alright, another little addition. Obviously, we used ji3 to excess with Joker because it is arguably his best feature; gives us pretty solid advantage, has amazing range, can cross up... eh, you know the rest. Generally I've been seeing people toss teeth or just keep pressure going after a ji3 connects, and I myself had only been following up with b1 flower or b1 crowbar, but I have been realizing that you can catch people with alot of things if you time it right and lead into some pretty decent setups for teeth. I think some of this has been covered here and there, but figured it would be useful to compile and have in this thread anyways. It should be noted, however, that as with most Joker setups, all but the last of these are techroll-able (the last uses the sweep hard KD mechanic). And yes, I am getting something to record actual videos sometime in the near future, but again, sorry for the sub par quality!
You can also use b1 teeth after the ji3, I just forgot to record it (and we've been over that)- and I like d1 a little better because it's easier to cancel to teeth from. Tried to incorporate a few different ways to follow up to give you ideas, but obviously there are more. Anyways, hope someone learns something from this; it's some simple stuff overall.
@laudanum09 @Gilbagz @Cat @Ren21 @Dr Jackal @Qwark28 @Gysbert @MetaSkipper @AA25Mamba @SIK JOKER @Wild Card@Jack White

Alright, another little addition. Obviously, we used ji3 to excess with Joker because it is arguably his best feature; gives us pretty solid advantage, has amazing range, can cross up... eh, you know the rest. Generally I've been seeing people toss teeth or just keep pressure going after a ji3 connects, and I myself had only been following up with b1 flower or b1 crowbar, but I have been realizing that you can catch people with alot of things if you time it right and lead into some pretty decent setups for teeth. I think some of this has been covered here and there, but figured it would be useful to compile and have in this thread anyways. It should be noted, however, that as with most Joker setups, all but the last of these are techroll-able (the last uses the sweep hard KD mechanic). And yes, I am getting something to record actual videos sometime in the near future, but again, sorry for the sub par quality!
You can also use b1 teeth after the ji3, I just forgot to record it (and we've been over that)- and I like d1 a little better because it's easier to cancel to teeth from. Tried to incorporate a few different ways to follow up to give you ideas, but obviously there are more. Anyways, hope someone learns something from this; it's some simple stuff overall.
@laudanum09 @Gilbagz @Cat @Ren21 @Dr Jackal @Qwark28 @Gysbert @MetaSkipper @AA25Mamba @SIK JOKER @Wild Card@Jack White
Do you find the cross up j3 harder to do on the smaller characters? Or am I just bad?

EDIT: I got your setup confused with Gilbagz, I was talking about his setup lol. So I am just bad I think

StevoSuprem0

Do you find the cross up j3 harder to do on the smaller characters? Or am I just bad?
Haha no it definitely is harder, or at least more space dependent; the closer you are to them, the harder it is to hit on a crossup because of how tiny they are and how far you end up behind them. Same applies for ji2, but it's a little less strict.

laudanum09

Darling
Great stuff. ji.3 , d2 also connects with MB RLG if you want the mid 30ish percent (34% for a basic bnb) dmg to finish a round or something.

I was messing around with BNB MB RLG, b3, d2 far teeth, ji.2, far teeth (to catch tech roll) and you can continue to hold forward a few frames after the teeth come out and F3 (MB) and it will connect. Odd thing is, if you don't time it and just walk forward a bit and F3, it will whiff. The timing that works moves Joker forward, animation wise, is almost imperceptible. It's really strange to get it to hit, but it will connect with teeth to give a small popup. You cannot jump out if done properly, but it can be blocked if you fuzzy guard the teeth frame perfect by walking back a frame to get F3 to whiff and block low immediately. If you just block low, obviously F3 will tag you but it is hard to block it correctly, even if you know how to do it. You literally have a frame or two to hold back to get out of the tip of F3 and then hold down before teeth go off. This was tested on Batman and Doomsday.

I don't think many people tech roll and wakeup. Tech rolling is hard in this game if you drop a combo. Like against Gilbagz's setup, I personally had to 'plink' the roll input to get it properly, but then again I suck at tech rolling in this game, the window seems really small. I think the first time you hit an opponent, you should read the hard knockdown or not tech roll because the window of time to see the combo has dropped and still hit buttons to tech seems small for a first time in a match. Next time it'd be fair to bet a far teeth since they're looking for it, but close teeth first seems like the best option.