What's new

Video/Tutorial Joker Teeth Combos and Setups

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Alright, so some of this has probably already been covered, but I wanted to put together a bit of a compilation of some of the possibilities that teeth combos and setups have. They are really where Joker shines as a character and have a huge potential for inflicting a ton of damage if you catch your opponent off guard or in a genuine trap (of which there are few and only in certain matchups). Yes, the quality is kinda shitty and the sound is weird, but bare with me, it's worth it (I hope...).

To start things off, here are a few of the most damaging teeth combos I could come up with (without setups) from midscreen:
Combo 1: far teeth, ji2, far teeth, ji3, far teeth, ji3, b3, 32 flower- 53%
Combo 2: far teeth, ji2, far teeth, ji3, far teeth, ji3, any teeth, 3 flower, 3 flower- 58%
Combo 3: far teeth, ji3, far teeth, ji3, any teeth, 3 flower, 3 SUPER (or flower)- 66% (55% with flower)
Combo 1 is an easier version of Combo 2 in essence, and can be combo'd off of again a little easier should you choose to end with another set of teeth instead of flower and potentially lead into another huge combo, or just keep the pressure on in general. Combo 3 is just for fun to use super, but also easy to pull off once you get the rhythm of the teeth-jump-teeth stuff and can be terminated with teeth or flower instead for more damage than Combo 1. However, Combo 1 with likely be superior in matches because ji2 is more reliable on crossups and more consistent in the corner Note that these are all meterless AND that (based on how ji2 and ji3 work) can be used from far teeth at a distance, or off a crossup with close teeth; that is, toss out a set of close teeth when an opponent is getting up and jump over them with ji2 or ji3, starting it off.

What about when they are on the wall, you ask? Well, you can use crossup mechanics like I just mentioned, or you can use either of these little beauties (which I haven't seen before):
Combo 1: close teeth, j2, close teeth, j2, close teeth, j2, close teeth, 3 flower, 3 flower- 52%
Combo 2: close teeth, j3, HLG MB, ji2, 323 flower- 45%
These do a tad less damage that the midscreen stuff. There may be better strings that what I've got here, but this is what I found. Combo 1 is the better of the two, but I have a soft spot for Combo 2 because it actually uses the shitty HLG haha. Either can, of course, be terminated with teeth instead of flower and keep the pressure on/setup another round of hurt.

Now for some setups. I like to use the original BnB (21/32 MB RLG, b3, ji2, 32 flower) because I find it alot more reliable than the newer one (probably just execution issues on my part) but it's also very nice for leading into teeth setups, as I'll demonstrate:
Combo 1: ji2, 21 xx MB RLG, b3, teeth, leads into Combo 1 from Video 1- 29%+53%= 82%
Combo 2: ji2, 21 xx MB RLG, b3, ji2, 323 xx teeth, Combo 1 Video 1- 36%+53%= 89%
I didn't record it, but also: ji2, 21 xx MB RLG, b3, ji2, teeth, Combo 1 Video 1- 32%+53%= 85%
And I suppose after the standing kick after the ji2 for 34% -> 87%.
Basically you are purposely dropping the BnB combo, setting up some teeth, and jumping in for big damage on one of the other combo options off teeth. The fact that there are several options as to when you drop the combo make it difficult to wakeup/techroll against (though not impossible on reaction). If they do manage to tech roll, using far teeth when you "drop" the combo will generally catch them, and you will be coming in with a ji2/3 so if they try to lowblock, they will be catching a heel/crowbar to the face and be taking a great deal of damage off of what follows. Unfortunately, if they block high instead, they will generally make enough space (or get hit far enough back off the ji2/3) to be out of the teeths range, so there in lies the flaw with this stuff, not to mention they aren't great against characters that have really good/safe wakeups. If the BnB leaves the opponent in the corner, it is exponentially easier to land these since you don't have to guess the techroll correctly. Also, I should mention that close teeth is definitely gonna catch (though can be blocked) them if they don't tech roll, but some of the drop spots will get caught by far teeth as well if they don't tech roll, just gotta play around with it to see. And if they don't tech roll, either the ji2/3 or the teeth or both are probably gonna catch them depending on how they block since they will be going off almost simultaneously.
*Sorry for not recording anything with techrolls in there. Laziness on my part =P

Lastly, I though it would be good to cover some more practical situations. Joker is, after all, a footsie-heavy character, so here are some footsie setups using non-jumping overheads:
Combo 1 uses f21, Combo 2 uses b13, and Combo 3 uses b2. You can also do stuff with f3, but I didn't record anything because it's pretty well known already.
f21 leads to a hard knockdown and is NOT techroll-able. Here, I show it hitting right as the teeth setups goes off, but you can also used it generally, throw down teeth, and try to catch them with a jump in. Also, Combo 1 launches high enough to lead into b3 and whatever BnB you want and potentially into teeth setups as shown previously. Combo 2 I showed how you can spam it a bit due to speed and priority of b1, and characters with bad wakeups might get caught (it's hard to time, but if batman tries to slide, b1 can beat it). Combo 3 I just threw b2 in there for good measure, I like how you can delay it by backing away for a moment then using it; may cause people to drop block. Don't forget some of the good old stuff like 212 teeth being safe and pushblocking people back onto the teeth!

That about sums up what I wanted to cover. If anyone wants to add anything else, throw it down. I still think Joker needs some things before he is a solid character, but he has a ton of potential with some of these tricks. Most of setups can be escaped by a bunch of the cast with wakeups or just proper tech rolling and blocking, but I tried coming up with ways to make it as difficult as possible with crossups and combo-drop-mixups.
Those of you going to EVO, I hope some of this comes in handy :joker:

TL;DR: Fuck you. Watch the videos or somethin'.

UPDATE: Gilbagz posted a video showcasing some of these approaches that are more difficult to escape using the newer BnB combo (with d2 far teeth). Adding it here so people don't have to dig for it!

Joker Community Tags: Cat laudanum09 Gilbagz AA25Mamba MetaSkipper Ren21 Wild Card Dr Jackal Jack White Gysbert AK elitegoomba OnlineRon91

Bravo. If you'd actually practice and compete and do this shit, you'd be making a name for Joker hands down. Any serious joker player is truly missing out if they don't give this mini guide a few minutes. Team STFU will soon rise...

StevoSuprem0

Bravo. If you'd actually practice and compete and do this shit, you'd be making a name for Joker hands down. Any serious joker player is truly missing out if they don't give this mini guide a few minutes. Team STFU will soon rise...
"Yes...The fire rises..."

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Nice stuff
May end up using teeth loops again cuz of this. Had basically dropped them cuz they were too difficult to set up and the spacing was off so they wouldn't work off my main set ups.
One thing, you said that if you block the j3 it pushes you out of range of the teeth. This shouldn't be an issue if you time the j3 so that it hits at the same time as the exploding teeth though right? Or are the teeth too delayed that if you delay your j3 they can just jump out and eat the lone j3 at worst.

Good stuff man

Awesome stuff, you can actually do instant overhead j2 with your corner combo and it still works. This makes for a pretty good way to open people up too.

StevoSuprem0

Nice stuff
May end up using teeth loops again cuz of this. Had basically dropped them cuz they were too difficult to set up and the spacing was off so they wouldn't work off my main set ups.
One thing, you said that if you block the j3 it pushes you out of range of the teeth. This shouldn't be an issue if you time the j3 so that it hits at the same time as the exploding teeth though right? Or are the teeth too delayed that if you delay your j3 they can just jump out and eat the lone j3 at worst.

Good stuff man
Yes and no. The problem is, since back is block in this, if you delay they are gonna walk out of the teeth, and if you jump in early enough to stop that, they will get hit out. In particular, that pertains to when they techroll and you use far teeth. On the close teeth when they don't rollback, I'm pretty sure you can catch people a lot easier, or at least they won't get hit out/walk out. Eventually, people will learn the match up and be able to get out of most of these. But for right now, Joker is very slept on (justifiably though since he doesn't have anything reliable to close gaps and gets outzoned by... everyone but Lobo lol).

StevoSuprem0

Awesome stuff, you can actually do instant overhead j2 with your corner combo and it still works. This makes for a pretty good way to open people up too.
Yup, that's the main reason I incorporate j2 into the strings. It's wayyy easier to land in pretty much every one of these, much more reliable, and can generally be on the way up or the way down depending on the situation =)

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Yes and no. The problem is, since back is block in this, if you delay they are gonna walk out of the teeth, and if you jump in early enough to stop that, they will get hit out. In particular, that pertains to when they techroll and you use far teeth. On the close teeth when they don't rollback, I'm pretty sure you can catch people a lot easier, or at least they won't get hit out/walk out. Eventually, people will learn the match up and be able to get out of most of these. But for right now, Joker is very slept on (justifiably though since he doesn't have anything reliable to close gaps and gets outzoned by... everyone but Lobo lol).
Oh I see. Nice job regardless. Gimmicky set ups are still good to catch people sleeping so even if they know about it they need to be ready.
I'll try get my vid uploaded tonight, covers options for when people get past the gimmicks and just tech roll everything Joker does.
Can also be a true 50/50 if you mb your f3, and you can just frame it to make it unblockable.

And yeah your right. I think I finally understand Joker. I play him like Batman/Nightwing now with just continuous offense. He doesn't have solid 50/50's so you just have to maintain pressure and force them to press buttons when they shouldn't. His issues are zoning and air control. Likewise I I feel that his hardest match ups are Batman, Aquaman and Green Lantern.

StevoSuprem0

Oh I see. Nice job regardless. Gimmicky set ups are still good to catch people sleeping so even if they know about it they need to be ready.
I'll try get my vid uploaded tonight, covers options for when people get past the gimmicks and just tech roll everything Joker does.
Can also be a true 50/50 if you mb your f3, and you can just frame it to make it unblockable.

And yeah your right. I think I finally understand Joker. I play him like Batman/Nightwing now with just continuous offense. He doesn't have solid 50/50's so you just have to maintain pressure and force them to press buttons when they shouldn't. His issues are zoning and air control. Likewise I I feel that his hardest match ups are Batman, Aquaman and Green Lantern.
Yeah the f3 MB off the teeth setup right? Have you seen whether people and jump out of it? I think that is another way to escape some of what I've posted here. Might still take a hit from a jump in, but it won't lead into loop, so reduces the punishment by alot.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Yeah the f3 MB off the teeth setup right? Have you seen whether people and jump out of it? I think that is another way to escape some of what I've posted here. Might still take a hit from a jump in, but it won't lead into loop, so reduces the punishment by alot.
Haven't tested it thoroughly but my current set up gives more than enough to land it so it should work.
I'll test it out now quick, but i'm fairly certain it should work.

laudanum09

Darling
Lol

I was hungry for Joker vids late last night and I was youtubing stuff (there is so much garbage IGU out there I think I downvoted at least 15 videos of Joker play in anger) and I came across your vids and had no idea it was you. I was like wow, a random gold nugget in a vast ocean of turds and 1,000 of the same garbage 'lets plays'

I think if we can standardize an option that covers tech roll vs/ non tech roll so it becomes a 50/50 (either tech roll or don't), that will do a lot for Joker. Not enough to pull him out of B tier (if you're going by Brady's new list which IMO is solid), but enough to put him ahead of other similarly ranked characters and change the tide of bad matchups.

Nicely done! J2 as a loop's starter is very smart move! F2,1 also very good against seaters to the end of a back teeth! Thank's a lot!

This is Joker in a nutshell and I love it.

Just some small notes I want to add to your footsie list:

Far teeth~B1 F2. (Far teeth into Footsie into Acid Flower) If hit properly, you can B3 and begin teeth loops.

B1 F3 (Footsie into Crowbar)
Nothing special, cept you can MB crowbar. The range on this move is massive, however.

Yes, you can buffer Acid Flower, Gun, and Crowbar from Footsie.... Just in case anyone din't know (but im assured you do lol)

Also a minor frame trap:

B1~Gun~F2,3,2~RLG MB.

Since gun is + something on hit(its late and im not a frame master,)
F2 is fast enough to make a frame trap. If it does connect, you can do an RLG MB and the rest is history.

StevoSuprem0

This is Joker in a nutshell and I love it.

Just some small notes I want to add to your footsie list:

Far teeth~B1 F2. (Far teeth into Footsie into Acid Flower) If hit properly, you can B3 and begin teeth loops.

B1 F3 (Footsie into Crowbar)
Nothing special, cept you can MB crowbar. The range on this move is massive, however.

Yes, you can buffer Acid Flower, Gun, and Crowbar from Footsie.... Just in case anyone din't know (but im assured you do lol)

Also a minor frame trap:

B1~Gun~F2,3,2~RLG MB.

Since gun is + something on hit(its late and im not a frame master,)
F2 is fast enough to make a frame trap. If it does connect, you can do an RLG MB and the rest is history.
Yeah I was focusing on things that hit overhead with that list and only didn't include the crowbar because you can't combo off it. I love that move, especially the MB version, but it's too shitty to use at high level play right now. Horrendously unsafe for not that much reward. I use footsie into flower a good amount, but didn't include that in my list because they can just block low and be safe. Still useful though because you are safe on block. Good additions =)

StevoSuprem0

Lol

I was hungry for Joker vids late last night and I was youtubing stuff (there is so much garbage IGU out there I think I downvoted at least 15 videos of Joker play in anger) and I came across your vids and had no idea it was you. I was like wow, a random gold nugget in a vast ocean of turds and 1,000 of the same garbage 'lets plays'

I think if we can standardize an option that covers tech roll vs/ non tech roll so it becomes a 50/50 (either tech roll or don't), that will do a lot for Joker. Not enough to pull him out of B tier (if you're going by Brady's new list which IMO is solid), but enough to put him ahead of other similarly ranked characters and change the tide of bad matchups.
You really have to go through all the situations to understand them. There are so many different ways that the setups can start up between tech roll vs no tech roll and close teeth vs far teeth (I haven't screwed with it, but mid teeth might be useful somewhere here too). Basically, it determines whether ji2 or ji3 is better suited for catching them AND hitting them on the teeth to get things rolling. If you throw far teeth after one of the combo drop things and they don't techroll for instance, ji3 will generally hit them back onto the teeth on a crossup, whereas ji2 doesn't move them enough. If they tech roll that same situation, ji2 is harder to hit with unless you walk forward a tad first, but ji3 will tend to catch them still. All of that is without blocks though, and some situation it may not matter, but some it probably will (other stuff I talked about a few posts up). Anyways, that's that. Needs more testing in actually matches, so let me know how it plays guys. I'll be going home this weekend to try it out myself.

StevoSuprem0

Hmmm. I'll test teeth->jump in stuff following a parry when I get home. Kinda depends on whether or not it's a hard KD. If not, and they techroll, they will be wayyyy out of range.

Thanks, man. I think the range is similar as post grab, though there's something to test too. I think the parry is a hard KD.

I remember when I was so hype over the teeth+grab tech. Too bad, properly countered, you only get 9% and fall out of Joker's effective range.

StevoSuprem0

Thanks, man. I think the range is similar as post grab, though there's something to test too. I think the parry is a hard KD.

I remember when I was so hype over the teeth+grab tech. Too bad, properly countered, you only get 9% and fall out of Joker's effective range.
So mostly bad news there. Parry is a hard KD and the range is fine for far teeth, but there really isn't enough time to realistically get a set of teeth out; the advantage isn't really there and they would have plenty of time to punish you. Could possibly throw a set of teeth and then block and try to them with a push block, but that's all I can feasibly see and a lot of wakeups will probably catch you anyway. Same case for grabs. Unless you catch them sleeping, probably best to try for a crossup for a BnB starter. Also, the jump speed boost fucks with the timing of the teeth loops a bit (at 3 anyway); need to investigate at each level.
As for your question in the other thread, mids are in fact not parry-able with low parry, only high parry.

StevoSuprem0

I think Joker might be at a slight disadvantage after a parry. Ridiculous.
No I think he is at a slight advantage, but the amount that it distances them means that it's kinda irrelevant for him. Maybe just go for a quick gun cancel dash to throw them off and keep the pressure on? It's Joker- nothing's safe or "good", but there are some things you can do. After Evo, I'll be posting an updated buff ideas thread with some breakdowns of where his current weaknesses are. Hate making another one, but it's gotta be done.