What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Variations Thread

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Does anyone know if dashes are cancelled into runs after the dash animation is over, or if you can instantly run at the earliest points of a dash?

The answer to this question will decide whether I'll unquestionably play JC or whether I'll try him out with a few others on release.

PizzaMasta

Hellblazer
A-List Johnny is my boy, I always loved using B2 in MK9, 'cause it's always funny seeing people start to panic and try to throw out a random move when they see you charging that move. Now I can do that with pretty every special? Sign me up. Twice.

Also, it's not like he actually loses much in this variation, does he? Fisticuffs and A-List have pretty much the same moveset, but the move charging in A-List is replaced by the power-up and the infinite string in Fisticuffs. So I have still access to Cage's full glorious assets.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Charged moves gotta be positive or something, preferably with more than 2 charge stages. There should be a reason for your opponent to want an interrupt on your move over just blocking everything.

Well, that's kind of obvious, but yeah.

Also don't forget that arming stunt double in neutral is probably as viable as using Quan's buff in MK9.

"Flashy" or whatever it is called may end up being a reason enough to try to duck stuff for overhead to be viable.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
Ya he's not as cheap people thought he was gonna be, but still really effing solid. Satsui found a 54% in the corner with 1 meter in stunt double, I got a 33% confirm off midscreen f3 I a-list

Dwarfmp

Enthusiast
Can someone tell me what Ex Rising Kick does? Not only does it do the exact same damage, the opponent isn't launched as much into the air as the normal version, so it's actually WORSE. Or is there something wrong with my game? Tried this in A-List.

User

#Yousuck
I was playing a long set tonight, and holy shit, Stunt Double Johnny is THE zoning character in this game. his fireball game combined with shadow kick covers space really well, and his EX DP is insane. When he has a clone it stays out even when he's hit, and when he doesn't it's still amazing and has a ton of armor and does 17%. Johnny has such a great zoning game now, not to mention his corner damage.

Yea I feel SD is his best variation for the exact reasons you said. It gives him a damage boost, ghetto traps (block string xx SD uppercut), and another layer to his zoning with SD shadow kick.

He is a really solid character.

User

#Yousuck
Yea I feel SD is his best variation for the exact reasons you said. It gives him a damage boost, ghetto traps (block string xx SD uppercut), and another layer to his zoning with SD shadow kick.

He is a really solid character.
There's nothing better than being cloneless and having them block a forward 2,4 string, and then just hitting them with the EX SD uppercut. So satisfying

onemic

Noob
Is it just me or is JC's uppercut run cancel slower to cancel out of vs his shadow kick? I can run cancel out of shadow kick immediately, but it seems like JC has to go through part of his uppercut animation before you can run cancel it

Eyedentical

That's it? That's all you got?
So I'm new to Johnny, he's fun as hell, but I'm at stand still as far as what variation to use. What's the popular selection you guys have made, and are there any variants that just outweigh the others?

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
So I'm new to Johnny, he's fun as hell, but I'm at stand still as far as what variation to use. What's the popular selection you guys have made, and are there any variants that just outweigh the others?
A lot of people seem to like Stunt double and A-list. I like A-List the best because to the dash canceling. Fisticuffs doesn't really have any tools to get in or stop anti-rushdown strategies, and that's why it's not as popular. I can't really comment on how effective stunt double is because I haven't explored it yet, but it is a popular variation.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Stunt Double is best

Fisticuffs is second

A list is third.

Stunt Double gives you the ability to play a full screen projectile war, as well as punish strings with 0 risk.
EXupShadow is also an AMAZING pressure tool. You also get better damage with this variation

Fisticuffs are great, but you give up your zoning damage for chip damage. I have only really been able to make it work in the corner, as in mid screen its hard to catch someone with the trait active.

A list is awesome in the sense that it makes cool sounds and looks fancy. breewweerrr bshshrruhharh bwooaahahhrhh

(other wise it sucks, Stryker Gun Cancels were better)

@Peckapowa
@CURBOLICOUS

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
There are some characters that use moves that after block leave them at a disadvantage but far from you, so you can only get a punish with F3.

Kung Jin's ex bo, Kitana stuff, scorp slide, etc.

That or I just suck and can't punish them with F2, but I tried and couldn't connect.

A-list could turn that F3 xx nutpunch punish into a full blown F3[4]xxF24 etc full combo. That's the only reason I would use this variation. Ever. And then again, I could just take my F3 xx nutpunch and use the other variations :-S

Also, maybe it's just me but aren't the Fisticuffs fireballs better than the Stunt double ones?
I really like zoning with Fisticuffs, but in SD i feel it sucks. They seem slower and a lot more unsafe.

Last edited:
Also, maybe it's just me but aren't the Fisticuffs fireballs better than the Stunt double ones?
I really like zoning with Fisticuffs, but in SD i feel it sucks. They seem slower and a lot more unsafe.

fireballs in fisti are better, yes, but you get more tools overall with stunt double to zone with. at mid screen, clone shadow kicks are almost unreactable and hard to jump over, fireball still is good at ranges further than that, and clone uppercut means when they start jumping over your zoning you have an anti air that you don't have to super commit to.

ive been really into chucking safe plasma at beginning of rounds so they get a lil jumpy and run into a clone upper which leads you to being nice and close.

stunt double zoning is cool to me because although its not like amazo zoning compared to other characters, but because when zoning tactics work successfully with johnny they lead to really good opportunities to start his pressure.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
A list is his best variation, it makes his most unsafe normal (yet best punish) f3 safe on block.
Figuring that out has made my Johnny Cage a million times better.

I'd say to never waste your time with fisticuffs, unless if maybe you're fighting a character who needs to block on wakeup or something, i don't know if there's any character with a bad wakeup in this game though.

Sulfur

A play a little bit of johnny here and there and I like the fistcuffs one the most. Have you guys tried standing 2 for AA it actually is pretty solid. Try it out.
His standing 2 is the same in a list as well.
I'm
Fisticuffs is not as good as A List in CQC, and not as good as stunt double for zoning therefore it's easily his worst variation.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
His standing 2 is the same in a list as well.
I'm
Fisticuffs is not as good as A List in CQC, and not as good as stunt double for zoning therefore it's easily his worst variation.
I think they are all pretty good. I really like the chip he gets in fistcuffs.

Sulfur

I think they are all pretty good. I really like the chip he gets in fistcuffs.
He loses his rushdown in fisticuffs though, i'd personally rather go for a 50/50 with A-List, fisticuffs johnny loses A LOT of offensive options because you can't run cancel his normals or specials.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
He loses his rushdown in fisticuffs though, i'd personally rather go for a 50/50 with A-List, fisticuffs johnny loses A LOT of offensive options because you can't run cancel his normals or specials.
Johnny doesn't need to win with pure rushdown and 50/50s f34 is a great footsie string at only -7. He still has the same offensive options except not being able to cancel strings. What offensive tool does he lose besides not being able to cancel strings?

Sulfur

Johnny doesn't need to win with pure rushdown and 50/50s f34 is a great footsie string at only -7. He still has the same offensive options except not being able to cancel strings. What offensive tool does he lose besides not being able to cancel strings?
in A List, f 3 4 xx dash is safe; in fisticuffs it is not.

Also, in A List, he can do more than just an EX nut punch to start a combo after the forward 3. My favortite meterless combo in A List right now is as follows

F 3 4 xx Run xx F 2 4 - d1 - f3 xx low fireball

22%, that combo keeps the opponent close and forward 3 is johnny's most useful punish. The above combo cannot be done in Fisticuffs or Stunt double.

Reason I end it with the fireball and not the nut punch is because the fireball tends to hit more often, for whatever reason the nut punch only seems to hit some of the time.

Last edited: