What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

Death

Noob
A MU with Cage that I find kind of tough is Skarlet. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but she skarlet doesnt feel free at all.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
A MU with Cage that I find kind of tough is Skarlet. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but she skarlet doesnt feel free at all.
I haven't played a really really good Skarlet who could actually follow up with the pressure strings, most of them fall short and fuck up.

this puzzled me too, then I realized that my projectile does four times the damage hers does. I feel weird saying this, but every high level scarlet I have played, I outzoned. Just try to zone her, and bait teleport.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
this puzzled me too, then I realized that my projectile does four times the damage hers does. I feel weird saying this, but every high level scarlet I have played, I outzoned. Just try to zone her, and bait teleport.
and aids ball is just a joke lmfao

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yeah but you gotta be careful not to throw projectiles recklessly cause she still can punish them on reaction. JC's force balls have shitty recovery.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
why is the skarlet player zoning?

and hey guys i now use cage so ill be peaking around this area more. hes is one of sindels minions :)

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Johnny cage is about to win his first major tommorow. I know i use reptile but the whole texas showdown tourney except my match vs Scar ive used johnny. Prepare for cage having his first major win

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Kitana is not an even matchup. I just don't see it. I've fought many Kitanas varying from rushdown to zoning. I just don't see how that is not a bad matchup. Explain to me please.

Sonya is also a bad matchup(4.5-5.5 barely bad) because just like Playpal said to me once...
Sonya has safe armor and a slightly faster projectile
Cage doesn't. But his pressure is better.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Kitana is not an even matchup. I just don't see it. I've fought many Kitanas varying from rushdown to zoning. I just don't see how that is not a bad matchup. Explain to me please.
She has no armor. She has poor wakeup attacks. Her normals are slow except her pokes. Her pressure is based on forcing you to block because she can set you up to get blown up if you try to counter poke but JC has fast normals with reach. JC has great AA.

What makes this bad for you?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
She has no armor. She has poor wakeup attacks. Her normals are slow except her pokes. Her pressure is based on forcing you to block because she can set you up to get blown up if you try to counter poke but JC has fast normals with reach. JC has great AA.

What makes this bad for you?
I'm just going to quote Konqrr because I'm not gonna just rewrite his words
* He has a tough time getting in. While zoning really is not very powerful at high level, it is not useless whatsoever.
* All of his wakeups are completely avoidable by using d3 and are full combo punishable after she recovers from d3. While this is difficult and requires quick reactions depending on the wakeup, it is entirely possible. This opens up her awesome forward throw game which is very good vs Cage and with the Mr. Mileena OTG, it's even better.
* She has the perfect punish for crossup anti-air d1 which is jk~air fan which gives her 35-45%... Some of the best damage in the game from a jk as we all know.
Rushdown Kitanas against Cage won't work.
I'm not saying its like 6-4 Kitana, She gets the .5 advantage because of her damage and the difficulty closing distance on her.

Death

Noob
lol @ Cage beating Kitana. The days of IAF are over. Also cage vs Sonya is a solid 5-5. It couldnt be more solid.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If rushdown Kitana won't work how is she supposed to win? You don't win with zoning/keep away. You merely survive.

Having a d+3, f+2,1, 2,1,2 or jk~fan blocked is a bigger danger against JC than others. She's in mortal danger for blocking a 9 frame move with range. I have no armor, I have no fast normal to interrupt, all I can do is sit there taking chip and try to poke out praying I don't get got by the input bug. It's fucking ridiculous dude.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
If rushdown Kitana won't work how is she supposed to win? You don't win with zoning/keep away. You merely survive.

Having a d+3, f+2,1, 2,1,2 or jk~fan blocked is a bigger danger against JC than others. She's in mortal danger for blocking a 9 frame move with range. I have no armor, I have no fast normal to interrupt, all I can do is sit there taking chip and try to poke out praying I don't get got by the input bug. It's fucking ridiculous dude.
Talk to me on Skype, I'm really shitty with text talk, I think I can plan my thoughts out better by vocalizing it. You put up a really strong argument though.

Kitana v JC is a footsie based MU. Midscreen will be where both characters will look for damage. Neither character is better at footsies, it's 5-5 when the game starts. When playing footsies, someone is going to get hurt, likely 30-40% damage. If JC gets the damage first, Kitana can get up and look for that damage again by going into footsies. If Kitana gets the damage first, she can make it difficult for JC by just throwing iaf and using intelligent square waves. No, they don't actually damage JC, but they will slow down the pace of the game into kitana's favour. It's 5.5-4.5 kitana only because she can make it difficult for JC to look for damage.

Kitana v JC with even life 5-5

JC with life lead 5-5

Kitana with life lead 5.5-4.5

Death

Noob
Curbolicous MU chart (Only 1 bad MU)

Baraka: 6-4
Cyber Sub-Zero: 6-4
Cyrax: 6-4
Ermac: 5-5
Freddy: 5-5
Jade: 6-4
Jax: 6-4
Kabal: 3-7
Kano: 6-4
Kenshi: 5-5
Kitana: 5-5
Kung Lao: 5-5
Liu Kang: 5-5
Mileena- 6-4
Nightwolf: 6-4
Noob: 5-5
Quan Chi: 6-4
Raiden: 6-4
Rain: 5-5
Reptile: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Sektor: 6-4
Shang: 6-4
Sheeva: 6-4
Sindel: 6-4
Skarlet: 5-5
Smoke: 6-4
Sonya: 5-5
Stryker: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 5-5
Total: 165

Discuss

REO

Undead
Curbolicous MU chart (Only 1 bad MU)

Baraka: 6-4
Cyber Sub-Zero: 6-4
Cyrax: 6-4
Ermac: 5-5
Freddy: 5-5
Jade: 6-4
Jax: 8-2
Kabal: 3-7
Kano: 6-4
Kenshi: 5-5
Kitana: 5-5
Kung Lao: 5-5
Liu Kang: 5-5
Mileena- 6-4
Nightwolf: 6-4
Noob: 5.5-4.5
Quan Chi: 6-4
Raiden: 6-4
Rain: 5-5
Reptile: 5-5
Scorpion: 7-3
Sektor: 6-4
Shang: 6-4
Sheeva: 6-4
Sindel: 6-4
Skarlet: 5-5
Smoke: 6-4
Sonya: 5-5
Stryker: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 5-5
Total: 168.5

Discuss
Wouldn't this be more accurate considering that's what most of the Jax, Scorpion, etc. top players say?