What's new

Match-up Discussion Johnny Cage: Official Matchup Discussion

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
cage vs reptie is 5-5, being patient and getting in isnt that difficult with cage. Once your in the only way out is EX Slide. Dash will lose to his frame traps so im forced to punish your pokes with dash instead. Wich is fully punishable if you decide to block. EX Dash loses to frame trap and i lose meter, if i get EX Dash on block cage can f33 nutpunch it on reaction on the way back. This is a even match because of Reptile Zoning, and thats really the only thing keeping it away from Cages favor

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
cage vs reptie is 5-5, being patient and getting in isnt that difficult with cage. Once your in the only way out is EX Slide. Dash will lose to his frame traps so im forced to punish your pokes with dash instead. Wich is fully punishable if you decide to block. EX Dash loses to frame trap and i lose meter, if i get EX Dash on block cage can f33 nutpunch it on reaction on the way back. This is a even match because of Reptile Zoning, and thats really the only thing keeping it away from Cages favor
Reptile Zoning + Low hit box, fb strings are useless unless they are jailed.

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
Reptile Zoning + Low hit box, fb strings are useless unless they are jailed.
The only way to use fb strings on reptile with guarantee is to make them after successful nutpunch. 1,3;4~fb works well unless one of the normals didnt hit him.(first ball whiffs, Green blows u up). 4,4~fb is not that bad, but its risky, bcz 4,4 doesnt jail no matter how its been done.
Btw, Reptile is the only character in the game who can not afraid Cage`s F33B3~fb in the corner. Bcz it whiffs on him. Out-fucking-standing. :D

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
The only way to use fb strings on reptile with guarantee is to make them after successful nutpunch. 1,3;4~fb works well unless one of the normals didnt hit him.(first ball whiffs, Green blows u up). 4,4~fb is not that bad, but its risky, bcz 4,4 doesnt jail no matter how its been done.
Btw, Reptile is the only character in the game who can not afraid Cage`s F33B3~fb in the corner. Bcz it whiffs on him. Out-fucking-standing. :D
:coffee:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Let's get some discussion going on here. How do people feel about the reptile matchup? Is there anything you guys do special when you play against reptile? I think reptiles biggest strengths in this matchup are his d4acidhands and ex slowforceball. They both help him gain space, and exsfb helps him push out of the corner because he can move up behind it. What do you guys do to deal with these things? exsfb Ive started just walking back, I tried just holding my ground, but I get thrown into the corner and reptile gains positioning. I walk back and try and force him to elbow dash into me. Any other ideas?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
HGTV Soapboxfan Reptile v Cage is 5-5. Both of you are constantly on your toes. Reptile is careful for not any fucked up dashes and whifs, while Cage is careful to not be blind as fuck with his pressure. You have to understand Reptile's setups and not be afraid to take some "out of the box" methods on fighting against his set-ups.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
HGTV Soapboxfan Reptile v Cage is 5-5. Both of you are constantly on your toes. Reptile is careful for not any fucked up dashes and whifs, while Cage is careful to not be blind as fuck with his pressure. You have to understand Reptile's setups and not be afraid to take some "out of the box" methods on fighting against his set-ups.
Agreed.Reptile is the kind of character that you cannot have a predetermined plan against, you just have to go with it and adapt on the fly kinda. I think tht is why most of the mk community still does not feel comfortable against reptile.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Agreed.Reptile is the kind of character that you cannot have a predetermined plan against, you just have to go with it and adapt on the fly kinda. I think tht is why most of the mk community still does not feel comfortable against reptile.
RapZiLLa54 ChrispyCream7 Chongo Is Free Treadmill GGA HAN

I have won against many a great Reptile, I have lost against plenty of great Reptile.

Aka: Match up experience will really help.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise

I have won against many a great Reptile, I have lost against plenty of great Reptile.

I've always had this down as a 5-5. It comes down to a guess when Cage is pressuring Reppy. If I guess right and dash out of your pressure, than I get 11% and some breathing room to start my zoning game. If I guess wrong and you block a dash, than you get 24% and I'm back to square 1.

BTW, you vs me is a 9-1.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"

Yeah. I don't really have problems against reptile, I just wanted to get some discussion going lol. I believe I beat ChrispyCream7 last time we played in tournament, which was red bank rumble, it was really close though, i think it went down to the last hit and I blocked an elbow dash and punished or something.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How do you guys feel about the Liu Kang MU? Some say it's 5.5-4.5 in Cage's favor, but I have it as 5-5. While Liu can't keep you out as good as Kabal or Freddy, he still has solid zoning, and will probably have a breaker by the time Cage does get in. At the same time, if Cage gets in first, Liu is gonna have a hard time shaking him off because he has mediocre pokes and just a tad bit slower normals.

f121 and f12 Backwards throw put you full screen, which is usually what I use.

Thoughts?

@Playpal Mikemetroid Peckapowa AssassiN[be]

AssassiN

Noob
5.5-4.5 MAYBE 6-4 in Cage's favor.

Liu has zoning to build that meter and get a little bit of damage, footsie game is player specific because it's even right there. If LK can convince Cage to jump he can easily AA him and send him full screen again. Once Cage is in, LK is pretty much screwed. 10 frame D1 and 9 frame parry isn't helping LK at all, parry can only be used when LK is player 1.

I always felt that Cage beat Liu 6-4. Liu's zoning has to be really on point in order to cause any trouble for Cage. Even then, it's still pretty easy to just dash crouch block your way in. Up close, Liu's EX dragon kick is a good option to escape pressure but it's pretty baitable. EX bike kick's input makes it trickier to use, and it'a just as baitable/punishable as dragon kick. Liu's standing 1 and 2 are 8f I think, and he has d3 too of course, which is probably a better option because you probably don't want to risk doing a standing attack against Cage.

As for Skarlet, bulldogging your way in is a viable option to at least get to midscreen. Her daggers don't really do that much damage if you get hit. Her cartwheel normal is pretty good and has a deceiving hitbox as well (not sure what it was, u3 maybe). Cage's b3 may be able to hit her out of it at some point but I'm not sure. The armor on her EX slashes are pretty good, but like all specials they can be baited, so it's a guessing game when she has meter. Without meter, she'll be in a lot of trouble against Cage though. I'd probably leave it as an even MU.

Also, we should probably edit the first post at some point.

AssassiN

Noob
Tbh, Skarlet doesn't really have zoning. It's more defensive/a way to get in.
I see it more as a meter building tool than keep-a-way.
Her first dagger does no chip, only 2% damage on hit but builds a lot of meter.
Her second dagger does 2% chip, 4% on hit and doesn't combo with the first dagger when grounded, builds a lot of meter as well.
She can use her daggers to AA and convert it into a combo that can lead to a reset with pressure or send Cage full screen away.

She has good pokes, super armor on EX red dash, good distance with her F4 but that's countered with Cage's B3(13 frames vs 11 frames).
Her d3 avoids Cage's wake-up game entirely, Cage can trade with her when he has the life lead and that's not good for Skarlet.

She has slow normals, her fastest normal is 10 fames which is a high(easily avoided by poking).
After poking the Skarlet player will most likely go for B11F4(14 frame start-up) or F4(13 frame start-up).
With Cage his 9 frame F3, easily countered into a punish.

I'd say 5-5.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Johnny Cage Scarlet is 5 5 imo. She has some good spacing and keepaway tools, but her slow normals keep cage in the fight. I actually use forceballs in this matchup to trade with a dagger cancel. Although she has many options to beat it, she has to keep it in mind, stopping her from controlling the whole match.

This is how I feel about Cage's MUs right now. I have not bothered with assigning a number to anything (except even MUs obviously).

Advantageous
Baraka
Cyber Sub-Zero
Ermac
Jade
Jax
Kano
Liu Kang
Mileena
Nightwolf
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Sheeva
Sindel
Smoke
Stryker

Possibly Advantageous
Noob
Raiden

Even
Cyrax
Kung Lao
Rain
Reptile
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Skarlet
Sonya

Disadvantageous
Freddy
Kabal
Kenshi
Kitana
Sub-Zero

What do other Cage players think?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
This is how I feel about Cage's MUs right now. I have not bothered with assigning a number to anything (except even MUs obviously).

Advantageous
Jade
Kano
Mileena
Nightwolf
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Sheeva
Sindel
Smoke
Stryker
Noob

EvenCyber Sub-ZeroBaraka
Raiden
Liu Kang
Jade
Jax
Cyrax
Kung Lao
Rain
Reptile
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Skarlet
Sonya

Disadvantageous
Freddy
Kabal
Kenshi
Kitana
Sub-Zero

What do other Cage players think?
edited with what I think.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Out of curiousness, why is Cage a bad MU for Mileena? She has a small hitbox and a solid projectile.

I also can't punish her EX Telekick with Cage, duck blocking and everything. I try d1 into f3 Nutpunch, d1 doesn't come out...

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Out of curiousness, why is Cage a bad MU for Mileena? She has a small hitbox and a solid projectile.

I also can't punish her EX Telekick with Cage, duck blocking and everything. I try d1 into f3 Nutpunch, d1 doesn't come out...
No armor and shes slow. its 6-4. A good mileena can really rustle Cage's jimmies though.