What's new

Johnny Cage General Discussion

Wigy

There it is...
Not sure if it's known.

214-df3 with cyrax chopper links into full combo with normals.

You can do 214df3+chopper and go into s4 trait or whatever you want. Midsreen and corner

Wigy

There it is...
How much are you guys actively trying to build hype meter and activating star power mode in matches? When using Lao kameo I don't really ever find a window to build or activate it. With Cyrax it seems more worth it but still I feel like I'm more going out of my way for it because it's fun to do than it actually being the optimal way to play.

I can say in ranked games I more or less ignore it.
I like to use the lao spin as an armoured reversal. You can end up punishing a string gap into full trait out of nowhere which is pretty good.

I do use it more with cyrax also though. Mostly just nutpunches under projectiles. Also do the shadow kick flare into chopper and catch people trying to punish then you'll sneak free ones out

I like to use the lao spin as an armoured reversal. You can end up punishing a string gap into full trait out of nowhere which is pretty good.

I do use it more with cyrax also though. Mostly just nutpunches under projectiles. Also do the shadow kick flare into chopper and catch people trying to punish then you'll sneak free ones out
Is the Lao spin armored?

Roosta

Noob
anyone have tips on landing the

212~dash~F3~trait~nutpunch consistently?

I am able to do it maybe 1/5 in lab and even when my inputs feel good and I land a high F3 sometimes it just does not connect.

EDIT: Might just start doing 214df3+chopper,4~trait~NP instead after reading Wigy's post actually.....

Roosta

Noob
Not sure if it's known.

214-df3 with cyrax chopper links into full combo with normals.

You can do 214df3+chopper and go into s4 trait or whatever you want. Midsreen and corner
You sure this links? I'm trying in lab with bot on high stance block and I'm not able to link anything after the chopper but maybe my timing is off...

Wigy

There it is...
You sure this links? I'm trying in lab with bot on high stance block and I'm not able to link anything after the chopper but maybe my timing is off...
Yeah 100%

Want me to record it?

The scaling is pretty heavy on it FYI

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Although I used Kung Lao as a kameo for Cage most of the time, I'm starting to use Sareena more often. I really think she is a solid and versatile kameo in general, and commands respect in the mid range which helps him getting close. Any of you use her too?

Last edited:
Although I used Kung Lao as a kameo for Cage most of the time, I'm starting to use Sareena more often. I really think she is a solid and versatile kameo in general, and commands respect in the mid range which helps him getting close. Any of you use her too?
Nah, I use Kano as he’s my 2nd favorite character in the series and I also think he’s generally safe from nerfs

Wigy

There it is...
Montaro Johnny is pretty legit.

Teleport in general is good for Johnny. On reaction projectile parry is amazing.

F124(teleport on first hit of 4) is restand combo starter.

Corner setups off his projectile spam assist is nuts in the corner. You can do shadow kick 4 times in a row in a combo for like mid 30s if they try move. Otherwise, grab for combo or mid check into combo or sweep into a combo for some mix. Options are limitless.

Regular NP at start of a combo gets 212 confirm. You can side switch with np ender into teleport d1 shadow kick for a bit of damage.

You can generally keep people on their toes punishing stuff unsafe stuff by teleporting.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah she's super useful I didn't appreciate how good she is outside of the 4 projectile toss.

Her single dagger toss is amazing. -2 up close and people aren't ready to counterpoke because it looks the same as the 4 dagger one. 214 d-kameo launches in the corner and it's -3. She's hands down the best kameo for getting your trait out.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Yeah she's super useful I didn't appreciate how good she is outside of the 4 projectile toss.

Her single dagger toss is amazing. -2 up close and people aren't ready to counterpoke because it looks the same as the 4 dagger one. 214 d-kameo launches in the corner and it's -3. She's hands down the best kameo for getting your trait out.
The 214 into down kameo launching is big, yes. Other usual kameos for Cage can't safely launch from that string. Actually it also launches if you are not completely touching the corner but close enough to it, using F12.

The only downside I see in her down kameo is that although it's safe, Sareena stays on that position for a while after it's blocked and the opponent can hit her. Otherwise, very good move.

I know this is a me problem above all else but I can’t count the number of times I’ve tried doing ball buster and did show off instead

Ravosa

Wild Card
Been playing him for about a week and he’s a ton of fun.
One of you Johnny mains add me so I can learn more. NA East, wired. Reached god last season on sub zero, picked up cage and want to learn him. My Johnny combos are whack teach me the ways

PSN MrRavosa