What's new

Johnny Cage General Discussion

games been out in EA for only 2 days and people are getting used to Johnnys mix after 1-2 matches (at least on pc)…which is quick.
You can try using Stryker as a Kameo for added overhead/low mixups that are plus on block. Then they’ll be guessing if you’re going to do a kameo or a meter less launch string.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
what do you guys think about sub zero kameo? 1050hp and ice armor seems good. you can get a little extra damage with kameo freeze.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Hmm may switch back to reiko here in a bit. LOVE the way Johnny plays here! But I’ve noticed not ever character has the same mix.

I feel bad cause I feel like I’m just making people flip a coin most of the time when most of the cast doesn’t have that option at the moment short of assist

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
What's the most reliable way to activate hype meter? I will use cyrax or sub. Cyrax net or sub freeze should be pretty reliable.

I wish I could do the corner combo reliably.. launcher 4 hype np np dash is hard to land. Cancelling hype into np is weird.

Rizz091

Noob
Another nerf from the beta. His counter fatal blow doesn't stay active for as long as you hold it anymore. It counters for a few frames then he can be hit out of his dance.

This one was silly but sad to see it go lol.
Actually I'm wrong. Retested it. Someone hit me out of it in a match but it must've been a projectile or kameo that hit me.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
What's the most reliable way to activate hype meter? I will use cyrax or sub. Cyrax net or sub freeze should be pretty reliable.

I wish I could do the corner combo reliably.. launcher 4 hype np np dash is hard to land. Cancelling hype into np is weird.
I might not be the best example, I just yolo it too often.
But a lot of the time, I find myself in a situation where both of us are too far to poke, and too close to spam fireballs. I do one of the fast ones, kameo projectile or kano ball, and buffer a down spam taunt. Boom full meter and your opponent looks like a dumbass for letting you do something so brazen.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Actually I'm wrong. Retested it. Someone hit me out of it in a match but it must've been a projectile or kameo that hit me.
So I was very confused about this one for a while but I think it simply doesn't work if Johnny gets hit in the back. I started just jumping over Johnny for full punish or throwing a fireball if he does it at range for some reason. Probably works with any crossup like Smoke's teleport. Droning on about it, I don't think the move has armor at all, but instead will counter on the frames you would expect it to have armor even if you don't hold it down. I don't think it will parry any Kameo move. It actually can parry projectiles if the projectile is done at point blank range.

And the punch he does is unblockable if you charge it all the way lmao, learned that one the hard way

Rizz091

Noob
So I was very confused about this one for a while but I think it simply doesn't work if Johnny gets hit in the back. I started just jumping over Johnny for full punish or throwing a fireball if he does it at range for some reason. Probably works with any crossup like Smoke's teleport. Droning on about it, I don't think the move has armor at all, but instead will counter on the frames you would expect it to have armor even if you don't hold it down. I don't think it will parry any Kameo move. It actually can parry projectiles if the projectile is done at point blank range.

And the punch he does is unblockable if you charge it all the way lmao, learned that one the hard way
That was it! I was kicked in the back. Didn't think to try that when testing in training mode. Makes sense now.

Roosta

Noob
how do you guys effectively whiff punish? I’m trying to use f1 but constantly get poked out of it, f3 is too stubby
f124 seems to work the best imo...I have not run into much that I can't punish with it. Shadowkick for anything that spaces out too far.

my current BNB is f124, dash, 212, dash, 3~shadowkick. If character I'm playing doesn't have a scary armored wake up sometimes I will not shadowkick and then do a 4,4 while they are grounded to be +15 and do whatever I want after that

f124 seems to work the best imo...I have not run into much that I can't punish with it. Shadowkick for anything that spaces out too far.

my current BNB is f124, dash, 212, dash, 3~shadowkick. If character I'm playing doesn't have a scary armored wake up sometimes I will not shadowkick and then do a 4,4 while they are grounded to be +15 and do whatever I want after that
People are mashing the shit out of d1 on me.

Been having success staggering more of johnnys f321 string into kameo or db3 as a solid way to open up/mix. The more i play with him the more his stagger game is the key for him rather than the mix

BKV2

BloodRayne for MK1
Been having success staggering more of johnnys f321 string into kameo or db3 as a solid way to open up/mix. The more i play with him the more his stagger game is the key for him rather than the mix
Whay button do you use as Kameo. I’m trying with LT but it’s hard training myself to use it in strings. Feels like I’m pushing too much shit and when I do I do it too late and mistime it

Wigy

There it is...
I'm struggling against characters with extended hitboxes on their normals. Johnny's range is such dogshit. Insane at everything else though. Just taking some time to get used to. I've started using hit trait in the neutral on tough match ups because there's some pressure off a blocked shadow kick cause you can do a delay nutpunch or dash forward after. Also when his traits up every shadow kick is free armour

I'm struggling against characters with extended hitboxes on their normals. Johnny's range is such dogshit. Insane at everything else though. Just taking some time to get used to. I've started using hit trait in the neutral on tough match ups because there's some pressure off a blocked shadow kick cause you can do a delay nutpunch or dash forward after. Also when his traits up every shadow kick is free armour
Bro the mashing feels worse than mk11, you can only make them regret neutral ducking if you are up close, if you are out of f3 range everyone just neutral ducks and mashes 3/4 this feels exactly like mk11 Johnny lmao.

Ashrah is a big problem for me right now.

Wigy

There it is...
Bro the mashing feels worse than mk11, you can only make them regret neutral ducking if you are up close, if you are out of f3 range everyone just neutral ducks and mashes 3/4 this feels exactly like mk11 Johnny lmao.

It's less the mashing and more I just don't have buttons to actually begin anything in the neutral in some matchups. But there's always more to be found and it's early AF. He's ridiculous up close and in the corner.

It's less the mashing and more I just don't have buttons to actually begin anything in the neutral in some matchups. But there's always more to be found and it's early AF. He's ridiculous up close and in the corner.
Yes he is and he gets corner carry easy af.B3 has been catching a lot of stuff, kind of reminds me of MK9.

Roosta

Noob

same and milena for me