What's new

Johnny Cage General Discussion

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
It's likely just SonicFox being SonicFox, but I'm not super excited to have a FOURTH modern MK game where Johnny is annoying as FUCK to fight. Resets, blockstrings that reverse your inputs, launchers everywhere, mixups, fantastic movement, unreactable shadow kick, and damn good + consistent combo damage.

Curious how he fares against consistent, powerful zoning. Teshiku hasn't attempted to zone him as Sub much during their long set this afternoon.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
It's likely just SonicFox being SonicFox, but I'm not super excited to have a FOURTH modern MK game where Johnny is annoying as FUCK to fight. Resets, blockstrings that reverse your inputs, launchers everywhere, mixups, fantastic movement, unreactable shadow kick, and damn good + consistent combo damage.

Curious how he fares against consistent, powerful zoning. Teshiku hasn't attempted to zone him as Sub much during their long set this afternoon.
its way too early to tell. Wait til we get a training mode. I think that there will be characters with weapons like Ashrah that would pose an issue.

Kabal and Kung Lao are consistently the most annoying to fight in every MK game lol i never really had problems with Johnny other than MK9 but maybe that’s because I used him as well lol.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
its way too early to tell. Wait til we get a training mode. I think that there will be characters with weapons like Ashrah that would pose an issue.
Oh definitely agree it's not even just too early, but so ridiculously early that it's pointless to complain. However, SonicFox is doing so much work as the character and I have a vendetta dealing with the asshole that is JC in every NRS game.

Anyway, character looks fun as fuck. Most notably, he appears to have some very powerful pressure despite the notably long blockstun and recovery for normals / strings in this game. Is his normal where he does the back-facing elbows a mid? Cause it seems pretty fast and leads to the double overhead kicks which bounce for a knockup. I can see that being a fantastic tool for punishable strings & specials.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I'm watching Ketchup & Mustard's combo vid for MK1 right now and it looks like they made Johnny's EX Nutpunch cost 2 bars now. It looks like he can still break 50% with Hype + Kano or similar Kameos, but NRS must've thought he was cooking a little TOO good in the beta.

Thoughts on Johnny/Stryker variation? I’m loving the added mixups and restand potential but not sure how good the combo potential is with the grenades.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Thoughts on Johnny/Stryker variation? I’m loving the added mixups and restand potential but not sure how good the combo potential is with the grenades.
Yes, I think its awesome, however, I am questioning why they took 50 health away? I do not understand this and often find myself against 1050 (sareena/sub assist)... so a full 100 health gap. Its noticeable

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Have To admit Johnny is extremely fun to play in EA mk1!
Just as Hollywood as ever haha

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Even before this last patch, they removed Johnny's ability to do a fake nutpunch to gain hype meter. Weird thing is I saw the CPU still doing it. It was good to dodge some projectiles and increase hype at the same time.

OmyMk

Noob
Even before this last patch, they removed Johnny's ability to do a fake nutpunch to gain hype meter. Weird thing is I saw the CPU still doing it. It was good to dodge some projectiles and increase hype at the same time.
I believe you need sunglasses to do the fake nutpunch.

Rizz091

Noob
Another nerf from the beta. His counter fatal blow doesn't stay active for as long as you hold it anymore. It counters for a few frames then he can be hit out of his dance.

This one was silly but sad to see it go lol.

Disasterpiese

it's not over when you lose, it'over when you quit
Can you guys finish a hype combo after the opponents healtbar has been depleted in the last round? Every other fighter can finish there combo after winning but when hype is on, it ends straight after the last damaging hit.

BanTheTesters

So I’m guessing my over all goal with cage here is I should Be mixing correct?

And also trying to gain hype meter etc?

Roosta

Noob
So I’m guessing my over all goal with cage here is I should Be mixing correct?

And also trying to gain hype meter etc?
Yeah it certainly seems that way. JC's pressure is his best tool. The 212 can be OH blocked or interrupted for a full punish, but you can mix up the low and staggers. You can also full combo off the low starter (213) with EXDB3 or cameo, and make a lot of his setups safe with cameos as well. The only people I'm having trouble with atm are folks that are good at zoning / keeping me away.

I think you can react to most/all? of his mixups so will be interesting to see how he is when everyone knows how to block everything

Kind of frustrating they made his EX nutpunch 2 meters but I see why they did it lol.

BanTheTesters

Yeah it certainly seems that way. JC's pressure is his best tool. The 212 can be OH blocked or interrupted for a full punish, but you can mix up the low and staggers. You can also full combo off the low starter (213) with EXDB3 or cameo, and make a lot of his setups safe with cameos as well. The only people I'm having trouble with atm are folks that are good at zoning / keeping me away.

I think you can react to most/all? of his mixups so will be interesting to see how he is when everyone knows how to block everything

Kind of frustrating they made his EX nutpunch 2 meters but I see why they did it lol.
Idk what’s going to change short of meter management stuff on the day one patch but this is true.

games been out in EA for only 2 days and people are getting used to Johnnys mix after 1-2 matches (at least on pc)…which is quick.

mom definitely curious to see how the JC mk1 community decides to keep ‘em mixed one launch day hits tomorrow

People should put in some time with Kung Lao as a kameo. Buzz Saw is a great low projectile and charging it allows for easy mixups and controls space. If they walk into it, jump on it or just get hit by it you are landing a combo if you are close enough. Also charged Buzz Saw combos into shadow kick for a nice 12% damage too.

Also use a standing 4 into shadow kick to end combos when possible. For instance instead of 212 j2 212 12 shadow kick, end it with 4 shadow kick. It’s not only easier but nets you an extra 9 damage.