What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Relentless Jason VS Johnny Cage - What do we do?

REO

Undead
Can someone help me test to find an option where you can stop the Cage player AT POINT BLANK from doing D+4 on block to another D+4? Jason's D+1 doesn't reach when you block Cage's D+4 on block up close so you have to respect a follow up D+4. I feel like if we find something here it'll be pretty crucial.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Can someone help me test to find an option where you can stop the Cage player AT POINT BLANK from doing D+4 on block to another D+4? Jason's D+1 doesn't reach when you block Cage's D+4 on block up close so you have to respect a follow up D+4. I feel like if we find something here it'll be pretty crucial.
D4, D4: Walk back after first D4, then B4 to interrupt the next D4.
D4, F3: You can d1 before his F3 comes out.

Edit: for the top option, only slightly walk back. You don't want the second of Cage's D4 to whiff, you want to crush it by walking back a slight step and Jason's B4 will cut right through it.

Last edited:

REO

Undead
D4, D4: Walk back after first D4, then B4 to interrupt the next D4.
D4, F3: You can d1 before his F3 comes out.

Edit: for the top option, only slightly walk back. You don't want the second of Cage's D4 to whiff, you want to crush it by walking back a slight step and Jason's B4 will cut right through it.
These are good options if you read the Cage player and his D+4 habits. Ultimately I've come to accept the guessing game is just going to reap more reward for the Cage player. If he blocks after a D+4 you eat a full combo for having your B+4 blocked. If he reads you will try to poke with D+1 or move after blocking a D+4, he will pummel you with F+3.

The meta so far in this match up after blocking a D+4 ior how to deal with D+4 in general is pretty telling. Let's see what these next few days bring.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
These are good options if you read the Cage player and his D+4 habits. Ultimately I've come to accept the guessing game is just going to reap more reward for the Cage player. If he blocks after a D+4 you eat a full combo for having your B+4 blocked. If he reads you will try to poke with D+1 or move after blocking a D+4, he will pummel you with F+3.

The meta so far in this match up after blocking a D+4 ior how to deal with D+4 in general is pretty telling. Let's see what these next few days bring.
I just noticed the slight walk back after Cage D4's will allow you to crush the next D4 with Jason's F4 as well, so you can make it a little safer. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the D4 into F3 problem. If he does D4, F3, you can njp after the d4 for a full combo. It's going to take good reads to beat Cage unfortunately and Jason doesn't really have a 'get out of jail free card' like some characters.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness

This is similar to pumped up Jax dealing with low pokes that beat out his "mid" forward 2... except that situation can still lead to good things for the Jax player, things are mostly in his favor after someone blocks his energy wave or F2 or anything done in neutral. Sounds like Jason gets worked.
Does Jason's D3 or D4 work? If you do land one of those, the opponent's probably likely o block yor next one, which you could cancel into back breaker or slow command grab neck snap or something.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Shouldn't NJP with Slasher be an option if done deep?!?! I don't play Jason. Pure guess!

@YOMI REO I played an hour long set against Dizzy last night with Relentless. I asked him to try and abuse the d4 as much as possible so I could see what's up. Sorry there is not much I can help with here, other to say that it is bad lol.

• His D4 low profiles Jason's B1 many many times. I want to say I whiff punished his d4 with b1 during our hour set only about 5 times.
  • His D4 also low profiles our armored squeeze move many times as well.
  • This is a similar problem that Sheeva had in MK9 vs those types of sweeps, and it seems that Johnny Cage has the same hurtbox that those sweeps had for Sonya, Reptile, Mileena etc. Unfortunately there was nothing she could do about it so she just lost those MUs for free.
  • Occasionally on hard read of a Johhny D4, my Jump 1 was able to beat it for full combo punish. This is actually the most success I had against his d4.
  • Towards the end of the night I was using J3. The hit box is very nice for dealing with the d4 and you get a knockdown. Too bad that anytime someone's advice is "jump more" you are probably in a bad spot lol. But with how hard it is to anti air in this game maybe it's not bad... but then Johnny just gets free armored nutpunch's for anti air then.
  • Also bad news REO. Johnny Cage also has an option select for red screen. The Johnny just has to input the command for Shadow Kick and hit all 4 buttons and it will always come out. This even works when we get our knockdowns for full screen.
I'm going to put Johnny down right now as Relentless's 3rd worst MU. HQT Predator, and Summoner Quan Chi being worse right now. However I am a relatively new Jason, so take that with a grain of salt, because there are many MUs I have not played yet. Now that I am thinking about it, Johnny might be worse than HQT Predator, because at least Jason has more options in that MU. Also to those of you guys saying "Johnny doesn't have a 50/50," I would like you to play against Dizzy. That mixup is not fuzzyable, and I think you can't react to it.

My conclusion is Jason is in a below average spot right now and also has some bad MUs. I think Jason should get some love in the next patch for sure.

• There are still some hitbox issues that plague him many times during fights. I think NRS should make 1 more pass on some of his hitbox's to make them larger for more consistency when we are supposed to hit things.
  • Also due to Johnny Cage's ability to easily break armor with fast hitting strings (and many other characters) I feel that the EX Squeeze move should have multiple hits of armor. This would not make him op because our pokes are extremely slow, and we have a hard time building meter so we would not be able to abuse this.
  • I think the back breaker move you should be able to choose what side you want the opponent to be on.
  • Red screen should probably have a quicker startup or clothesline should have more + frames on hit. The characters with full screen specials have an option select to stop red screen every time.
  • I think there should be and EX version of the walking armor move that activates much faster, so we can get it off in MUs with characters that have a full screen special move (which is a lot.)
  • Improve his anti-air grab startup. This move only works on READ on some MUs and the reward is a paltry 10%.
  • His teleport should be faster. It is useless in heavy zoning MUs like Summoner Quan. It is also pretty bad in regular MUs. It is just too slow.

Last edited: