What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Relentless Jason VS Johnny Cage - What do we do?

REO

Undead

Calling all Jason players for some advice and tips as I'm sure many of you have been put in this situation. Right now the character I'm having the most trouble with creating a game plan against is Johnny Cage. Now I don't mind his F+3 being a faster and better version of Jason's B+1,2 string even with it's +10 on block cancel, what is killing me is his D+4 in conjunction with his entire tool kit. His D+4 is ridiculous and very spammable. It has a ton of hit advantage and basically gives him guaranteed pressure and mix-ups when it hits. What's the best way for us to counter this? What I've found so far is:

- F+4 on a hard read can be used to whiff punish a Johnny Cage being brainless with it but it's no easy task since you're working with a near 20 frame low. It's also very dangerous to be around this dead zone hunting a F+4 on hit since Cage's F+3 is faster than Jason's mids and will usually beat you to the punch making you very vulnerable.

- Turtle and let him come to you. This doesn't sound good on paper but sometimes it works if the Johnny Cage player is not content with you both sitting mid screen away from each other waiting patiently. They usually zone while moving towards the corner by machine gunning their forceballs or run in and try to get their run cancel pressure going. Probably not effective but works every once in a blue moon so I suppose it's worth a mention.

- Jump in on openings. This is basically the laziest way to try and get around his D+4 but sometimes you have no choice but to try and commit and can be lucky and score a jump in punch, other times (most of time) he will low profile your jump ins with D+4, swat you out of the air with his neutral jump punch, or just armor nut punch you for a combo. Not the greatest tactic but can be used in small doses when combined with everything else.

- Save meter always for YOLO meter burn Red Screen right outside footsie range and prey he doesn't find his D+4 button. This actually works if luck and time is on your side. Just need to be patient and make reads on how the Cage player likes to move. Only downside is it requires meter and you can't really build meter in this match so you gotta make your opportunities count.

- Lastly, the solution I found that works the best...
Just go slasher. Even though it's not the best thing in the world, at least you can hit your opponent.

Any other solutions you guys can think of or have found out that work effectively? Please post all match ups tips here for Relentless Jason vs Johnny Cage mainly.

Error404

Noob
That match suuuucks for Jason I played a good 40 games with a friend of mine who plays jason offline. It was hardly even a match.

REO

Undead
You can jump occasionally as I explained in point three but it's not too reliable. If you're not jumping at the right distance, he will low profile your jump attacks with D+4. It's also not too hard to anti air Jason since his jump attacks aren't that great. Jumping is OK but will get you killed vs a good Johnny who knows what they are doing.

reo, what do you think about characters like jason unstoppable and lackey torr up against chars like master of storms raiden, or hunter predator

how does jason presume to get through instant air discs with a mine on the ground???

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
I'd say red screen is best option considering it will flip your controls in 1 of 2 ways. The odds of them guessing which way on the first atempt before you move in puts the ball in your court.

REO

Undead
hit the throw button. no i'm not kidding.
This actually works since you can throw people out of pokes. But to do it you have to be in the dead zone where Cage can make a read and whiff punish you with his F+3 into full combo. It's good but can't get to spam happy with it since one wrong read equals nutpunch into 1,1,4~RC +20 (or whatever that is on block).

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
This actually works since you can throw people out of pokes. But to do it you have to be in the dead zone where Cage can make a read and whiff punish you with his F+3 into full combo. It's good but can't get to spam happy with it.
You can make a read and punish f3, shits mad negative, so is f34. lol

Also what is wrong with f44? Its slow but you can whiff punish the d4

REO

Undead
reo, what do you think about characters like jason unstoppable and lackey torr up against chars like master of storms raiden, or hunter predator

how does jason presume to get through instant air discs with a mine on the ground???
I played SonicFox's Hunter Predator at EGL in long sets and it didn't feel that bad. Just need to be patient really. On Master of Storms Raiden, I don't know. No one really uses him.

REO

Undead
Try B4, it has godlike range. I just tested it.
Yup was just about to say this

F+4 is better than B+4 on a hard read because it''s safe on block and leads to more damage and set ups. Also one issue I forgot to mention is A-List players love doing d+4 on block and then F+3 which constricts a lot of Jason's options when you mix it up with D+4,D+4 or D+4. F+3. That's why I call it the "dead zone" lol.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
F+4 is better than B+4 on a hard read because it''s safe on block and leads to more damage and set ups. Also one issue I forgot to mention is A-List players love doing d+4 on block and then F+3 which constricts a lot of Jason's options when you mix it up with D+4,D+4 or D+4. F+3. That's why I call it the "dead zone" lol.
Well I don't really have much else to say then. ggs

REO

Undead
Well I don't really have much else to say then. ggs
I like that you guys are helping because it's giving me ideas (like the regular throw option) which will be useful. Using random sweeps or Jason's D+4 has been tried though and it's pretty fail, lol. F+4 just does that job better, IMO.