What's new

Janet Cage general discussion

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Who the fuck cares? All that matters is how good of a Kameo she is
OK, so from now on - let's skip Mavado & Ferra and instead start adding only random mokujins as kameos for example:
  • Random NInja 1 with moveset 1
  • Random Ninja 2 with moveset 2
  • etc.
because by that logic - fuck lore what matters is the gAmEpLaY and nothing else.

UghGetOuttaHere

Number Cruncher. Jack of All Trades.
OK, so from now on - let's skip Mavado & Ferra and instead start adding only random mokujins as kameos for example:
  • etc.
because by that logic - fuck lore what matters is the gAmEpLaY and nothing else.
Ima fan of Mavado and Ferra.... and I would still pick Random Ninja 1 & 2 if they offered something more fun and unique. Its mortal kombat, not Story Book Land... when all is said and done... its a game meant to be played

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I enjoy playing as Janet and feel she is what a Kameo should be. Her, Khameleon, and Tremor all change the dynamic of how a character plays. and don't just have simple button presses. I think all of the Kameos in the game would really benefit from this. I also think it was a better idea to have her as a Kameo and possibly the OG classic skins for Johnny since he is main roster. I also wish a lot of the Kameos had voices like she did as well. But I could do without stuff like "GIRL POWER!" It's very 1997 Spice Girls. She must be from the Spice World timeline. hehe

UghGetOuttaHere

I enjoy playing as Janet and feel she is what a Kameo should be. Her, Khameleon, and Tremor all change the dynamic of how a character plays. and don't just have simple button presses. I think all of the Kameos in the game would really benefit from this. I also think it was a better idea to have her as a Kameo and possibly the OG classic skins for Johnny since he is main roster. I also wish a lot of the Kameos had voices like she did as well. But I could do without stuff like "GIRL POWER!" It's very 1997 Spice Girls. She must be from the Spice World timeline. hehe
Wow... lmao it just occurred to me that Janet is the only kameo who speaks. My brain noticed that she talks over the main character, and that she talks ALOT.... but never made the connection that shes the only one.

Art Lean

Noob
Wow... lmao it just occurred to me that Janet is the only kameo who speaks. My brain noticed that she talks over the main character, and that she talks ALOT.... but never made the connection that shes the only one.
They all should, they don't feel like the characters they represent without some actual characterization. I think it's great Janet finally speaks, and I'd been dumbfounded since day one as to why all the other Kameos were just silent MK11 assists (in animated form) if this is supposed to be the main gameplay selling point of this game.

It would have been great to hear Kano exclaim something like "Kano wins... you fuckin' beauty" (as per MK21) after he rips their heart out in his kameo fatality, but instead he's just silent, and that's not Kano; especially after all these years and after how MK11 truly elevated him as a wise-cracking character following an act of pure GBH, "sorry mate, job's a job". He was the only MK'92 character other than Johnny that had a vocalized victory pose, and yet in MK1 more than 30 years later, he's actually quieter than he was in 1992.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
  • etc.
I’d be fine with that. And yes, lore doesn’t really matter in regards to the game competitively speaking

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Darius talks too sometimes
I could be tripping though

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
I'm not entirely sure, if people would really be down with assists yapping their mouth off every time they get called. In the long run, i think it's a nice characterization device for Cages, but i don't need to hear quips every 5-10 seconds.

As for Janet herself - great addition (even if i'm still a tad bitter about her not being Johnny, as was originally promised, but i'll live), not a meta-definer because of the difficulty of use, but having a whole roster of puppet-types, thanks to her adds as much new possibilities as Khameleon did.

Edit : that chip has to go down, though. I like her being a jail monster, that's a good reward for seting her up, but 1.3 % per attack is a tad high in my book.

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
I'm not entirely sure, if people would really be down with assists yapping their mouth off every time they get called. In the long run, i think it's a nice characterization device for Cages, but i don't need to hear quips every 5-10 seconds.
I wouldn't want them quipping every few seconds, I wouldn't want that with the main roster either, but certainly would welcome it when you perform a kameo fatality or kameo brutality with them, or even have them randomly alternate with your main character as the one who speaks on a standard victory screen.

UghGetOuttaHere

Darius talks too sometimes
I could be tripping though
Hmm you sure it's not Jax? For some reason my brain remembers hearing him say his signature "get some"

I wouldn't want them quipping every few seconds, I wouldn't want that with the main roster either, but certainly would welcome it when you perform a kameo fatality or kameo brutality with them, or even have them randomly alternate with your main character as the one who speaks on a standard victory screen.
I agree. Its mostly negligible that the others dont speak but idk sonya not saying anything when she has always had voicelines did throw me off. Like her laugh (which is the same voiceclip used for her xray parry in mkx) when you select her always felt off to me... like it should have been "Sonya Blade reporting", or something of the sort.

That being said I think the rate of in game voicelines is still too low for me—referring to main characters. I thought MKX had a perfect in-game quip rate. And combo enders had a high chance of triggering them. In MK11 the frequency was drastically reduced & were most common after a throw. Infact, im pretty sure Cassie is the only character who had a move that guaranteed a voiceline in mk11.

Something mk has always been good about is not having the characters yell "hadouken" or whatever every time they throw a fireball and most of the time they don't even speak during the actual gameplay. I actually had to switch to japanese voices in dbfz because hearing Vegito say the entire sentence after every level 1 was just so irritating when you're doing multiple level 1s in a game. The worst thing about Peacemaker imo is he's a huge offender of this rule. I understand letting them talk gives them more personality and all that but hearing "eagle" or "forcefield" literally every other second is so mind numbing especially if playing a long set and the move is integral to the kit.

What's crazy is when you say she sounds like she's from the 90's I think that good in a way since she's ripped straight from mk1. Hahahah. But yeah I agree with everything you said here. Literally love the way those 3 kameos work .

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
Maybe i'm stuck in my old ways too much, but the best "voice acting" in MK presents itself when it's nothing, but gibberish and shouts. MK4 was the culmination of that. NRS-era games do that here and there, but i can never hear it properly, the sound mixing is... subpar.

Something mk has always been good about is not having the characters yell "hadouken" or whatever every time they throw a fireball and most of the time they don't even speak during the actual gameplay. I actually had to switch to japanese voices in dbfz because hearing Vegito say the entire sentence after every level 1 was just so irritating when you're doing multiple level 1s in a game. The worst thing about Peacemaker imo is he's a huge offender of this rule. I understand letting them talk gives them more personality and all that but hearing "eagle" or "forcefield" literally every other second is so mind numbing especially if playing a long set and the move is integral to the kit.
Doesn't help, that those lines are exhaled with the enthusiasm of a log (which is probably the point, i don't know anything about these zoomer superheroes. Also Cena is not exactly a top VA material, although he's better than Ronda and Megan, if nothing else).

UghGetOuttaHere

Doesn't help, that those lines are exhaled with the enthusiasm of a log (which is probably the point, i don't know anything about these zoomer superheroes. Also Cena is not exactly a top VA material, although he's better than Ronda and Megan, if nothing else).
lmao it isnt great, but honestly I think woman get more heat for bad performances. Megan actually has a couple of... memorable lines lol.

"To others, Im a fantasy"....i think she was starting to get the hang out it

Art Lean

Noob
Maybe i'm stuck in my old ways too much, but the best "voice acting" in MK presents itself when it's nothing, but gibberish and shouts. MK4 was the culmination of that. NRS-era games do that here and there, but i can never hear it properly, the sound mixing is... subpar.
Absolutely love MK4's gibberish; especially how it's incorporated into the character select screen in its harsh mix of semi-Chinese folk music meets industrial, accentuated with brutal voice samples; those screams are an absolute delight.

Just as a general bit of praise for MK4 (since it never gets any love and its graphics were always pretty awful, which have only got worse with age), I had never been much of a fan of MK3; felt like an absolutely jarring juxtaposition of Doom 2 meets Monty Python. I could never understand how a game could feel so much darker and apocalyptic, yet simultaneously felt so much sillier (thanks to the fatalities and some very awful costumes). MK4 by comparison felt like the brutal gritty reboot after its descent into novelty, where you can now be beaten to death with your own leg (literally).

When MK Conquest ended on its downer cliffhanger ending, with purple skies and Shao Kahn winning, it felt VERY MK4, in particular reminding me of The Tomb arena, even if the show couldn't go there with the violence.

OOH-I'M-GONNA-THROW-YOU-OVER-THERE!

Last edited: