What's new

Tech - Kung Lao J2~teleport 3 Jails on Block

coolwhip

Noob
So @ETC Mcfly showed some J2~teleport combos today, as he did in MK9.

Unlike MK9, this is much easier to do in this game and more viable, and much more useful. Not only is the timing not as strict, but J2 into teleport jails on block, sorta. Incidentally, I also saw @A F0xy Grampa use this at ESL tonight.

The only universal way this can be interrupted is with armor. Not even Kung Lao's own spin can interrupt it (edit: as noted below, some characters are able to backdash).

Here are your options, and keep in mind, for this to jail on block you have to do it at the right time:

1) J2~tele 3. On hit, it combos. Although if you want to get a full combo, the timing of the tele 3 needs to be perfect in order to cancel it into whatever your go to combo starter is. However, J2~tele 3 as a combo by itself is super easy and the timing isn't strict at all.

On block, this jails (sorta). It cannot be neutral ducked, poked, or uppercutted out of. Not even Kung Lao's regular spin or Jax's standing 1 will be able to stuff this.

However, this can be backashed by some characters. Characters who can backdash this: Kotal Khan, Sub-Zero, Jacqui, Cassie, Kitana, Kano, Reptile, Ermac, Quan Chi.

2) J2~tele 2. On hit, the timing is just as easy as the above and getting a full combo off of that is obviously easier since the tele 2 launches. On block, this cannot be poked out of or punished before the tele 2 lands, unless the opponent blocks the tele 2, since it's punishable on block.

Note: this can be backashed out of.

3) J2~tele grab. This can be neutral ducked and punished. However, if you condition your opponent to respect the above options, you should be getting plenty of opportunities for tele grabs off of J2's. Regardless, your opponent will have to make a risky guess that is in your favor.

Be careful however, if the j2 lands, the grab will whiff, unless you do it super late, by which point the opponent will be able to neutral duck and punish. So if you see your j2 land don't go for the grab.

4) j2~tele 4. This doesn't combo and doesn't jail. Tele 4 is a bill anyway.

NOTE: All of the above options can be beat with armor, though the timing is quite strict and your opponent's reactions, timing and execution have to be extremely on point.

I've talked to @Clark L. and he will be making a video of this soon, although the above should be self explanatory.

NOTE 2: If the above isn't entirely accurate, please correct me. If someone in the cast has options other than armor against this, please point it out.

@Perfect Legend
@FOREVER KING
@EGP Wonder_Chef
@Laguna Loire
@ Any Kung Lao player.

Last edited:
I thought this could be backdashed. Pretty sure I tested this with backdash as reversal against the AI. I did the earliest possible Tele 1, 2 and 3 off of J2. You're not going to backdash every single time though. First of all it is pretty hard to backdash it if the kung lao player is playing fast and what if the kung lao player just goes into a string? You would be fucked.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
@ Any Kung Lao player.
I've been quoted! Also after playing a few sets with a solid scorpion online that was reacting to the ji2 tele shenanigans I started to not go into a tele and instead pause and go for a grab after they block the ji2.
Just another trick another trick to add to the possibilities from a blocked ji2

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Nah. Tele 3 has too much range. Will catch the backdash. Tele 2 can be backdashed by some characters I've tried this on.
I just tested and I can easily backdash and I don't see how tele 3 has too much range. However I think I'm not timing it fast enough since I can parry it with Sub-Zero and also I can d4 with Sub-Zero which lowers his hitbox and makes it whiff.

You can set the AI to reversal backdash and test to be 100% sure.

coolwhip

Noob
I thought this could be backdashed. Pretty sure I tested this with backdash as reversal against the AI. I did the earliest possible Tele 1, 2 and 3 off of J2. You're not going to backdash every single time though. First of all it is pretty hard to backdash it if the kung lao player is playing fast and what if the kung lao player just goes into a string? You would be fucked.
I've just tested this on Kotal Khan and he can backdash. Most characters I've tried this on cannot, as long as your timing is right.

coolwhip

Noob
I just tested and I can easily backdash and I don't see how tele 3 has too much range. However I think I'm not timing it fast enough since I can parry it with Sub-Zero and also I can d4 with Sub-Zero which lowers his hitbox and makes it whiff.

You can set the AI to reversal backdash and test to be 100% sure.
That's how I'm testing, obviously. Which characters are able to backdash? So far Kotal is the only one. Try working on your timing for the tele 3. Don't mash it the way we used to in MK9 as that's not how instant tele 3 works in this game (just in case that's how you're doing it).

Braindead

That's how I'm testing, obviously. Which characters are able to backdash? So far Kotal is the only one. Try working on your timing for the tele 3. Don't mash it the way we used to in MK9 as that's not how instant tele 3 works in this game (just in case that's how you're doing it).
I'm trying to backdash with Sub-Zero.

This is the very first time I try to do stuff with Kung Lao so my timing is absolutely horrendous and I will never get it right so I'll just take your word for it lol.

coolwhip

Noob
PS: OP will be updated as this is tested further.

So far, the character who can backdash out of J2-tele 3 is Kotal Khan. I'm sure there's more though.

coolwhip

Noob
I'll test this stuff again tomorrow. I am pretty sure I tested this correctly before, guess I was wrong.
If your timing is a little off Kung Lao will be able to backdash. I set the AI reversal to backdash (it was Lao vs Lao) and at first he was backdashing it until I got the timing right. Kotal so far is the only one who is able to 100% backdash it all the time, though I'm sure there's more. I don't think you tested it wrong, it's just a timing thing.

Braindead

If your timing is a little off Kung Lao will be able to backdash. I set the AI reversal to backdash (it was Lao vs Lao) and at first he was backdashing it until I got the timing right. Kotal so far is the only one who is able to 100% backdash it all the time, though I'm sure there's more. I don't think you tested it wrong, it's just a timing thing.
BTW when you say timing do you mean delaying the JI2 as much as possible or hitting the 3 after the teleport as soon as possible?

I mean does it still jail if the ji2 hit high?

coolwhip

Noob
By the way, very few of Kung Lao's strategies in this game are a 100% foolproof. I'd argue that none of them are. But the combination of everything is what makes him solid (though massively overrated).

You are not meant to go for this every time. But between the guessing game of j2 into a block string, j2 into grab, or j2 into teleport, nobody is going to react every time, or even the majority of the time.

coolwhip

Noob
BTW when you say timing do you mean delaying the JI2 as much as possible or hitting the 3 after the teleport as soon as possible?

I mean does it still jail if the ji2 hit high?
So far I can't quite pinpoint whether the it's strictly the timing of the tele 3 that makes it jail or how deep the j2 is (the former definitely matters, but I'm still unsure about the latter).

On some characters, like on Kung Lao himself, I can't even fully tell why he's able to backdash it sometimes and other times he isn't. I mean, I know it's a timing thing but I don't quite know what's making the timing work.

Generally, you want to do the tele 3 as early as possible.

PS: Sub-Zero can backdash this because well, of course he can.

Braindead

On some characters, like on Kung Lao himself, I can't even fully tell why he's able to backdash it sometimes and other times he isn't. I mean, I know it's a timing thing but I don't quite know what's making the timing work.
Stance dependent?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hello friend,

This is good tech, and definitely a strong option for Lao.

That said the title saying "jails" is disingenuous as it implies the opponent has no options after j2 is blocked. The term "jailed" means they cannot armor or backdash. Since they can, this block string has a gap, which by definition means it does not jail.

Furthermore, I believe any character can backdash this by doing a delayed backdash. You will know a delayed backdash is performed because the "Reversal" text will not appear at the bottom of the screen. However, doing a delayed backdash will lose to tele1, so Lao will still have options against opponents who employ this.

Love,

Dizzy

coolwhip

Noob
OP updated with every character who can backdash this. They are:

Kotal Khan, Sub-Zero, Jacqui, Cassie, Kitana, Kano, Reptile, Ermac, Quan Chi.

Kung Lao and Mileena cannot backdash this as long as the timing is 100% perfect, but they can if it's not super on point.

I
f anyone has Jason downloaded, please test this on him.