What's new

It's time I picked up Reptile

NKZero

Noob
Absolutely and depending on the spacing, Reptile is @ +10 I believe Somberness?? Granted you have to use 2 bars and some people may not believe this is practical but say you do catch them not blocking its turns into nice damage ending with slide for a potential of around 60-70% depending on what combo you did to set up the EX slow ball.
sorry mate i was talking about normal slow ball. why dyou need to use the EX one? also what are your options after being +8 on the 2F31+2 reset? you can get poked out of a standing 3 (for 321) so the first thing that came to mind is D4 but that's nothing special. I would say EX elbow dash but it can be jumped, armoured etc.

OmyMk

Noob
sorry mate i was talking about normal slow ball. why dyou need to use the EX one? also what are your options after being +8 on the 2F31+2 reset? you can get poked out of a standing 3 (for 321) so the first thing that came to mind is D4 but that's nothing special. I would say EX elbow dash but it can be jumped, armoured etc.
1+3?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
What poke is 5 frames or less? Please see the "Reset Discovery ?" thread.

You need to use an EX slow ball because you can't get in front of a normal slowball unless some how your opponent stays 3/4 to full screen away and decides not to move.

NKZero

Noob
What poke is 5 frames or less? Please see the "Reset Discovery ?" thread.

You need to use an EX slow ball because you can't get in front of a normal slowball unless some how your opponent stays 3/4 to full screen away and decides not to move.
oh i thought it was a 15 frame start-up. ok n thx for clarifying the EX forceball situation.

Somberness

Lights
Absolutely and depending on the spacing, Reptile is @ +10 I believe Somberness?? Granted you have to use 2 bars and some people may not believe this is practical but say you do catch them not blocking its turns into nice damage ending with slide for a potential of around 60-70% depending on what combo you did to set up the EX slow ball.
Enhanced ball has 28 frames of block stun so it really depends when it hits and when you recover from the dash.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
CURBOLICOUS and Death 32 invis leaves reptile at -2 so yeah you can just full combo him if he tries to follow up with another string. I use it every now and then just to keep my opponent honest but you definitely don't have to waste armor. If in any doubt just down poke lol. Some people even do 122 invis which leaves him @ -7.... 32 by itself is zero on block though.

Curbo curious what do you think the Rep vs Cage matchup is? I hear JC players saying its 7-3 reptile which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty even MU IMO.
Even or slightly in Cage's favor

Reptile has great repertoire of specials. Slow/fast Acid ball, acid spit, elbow dash, slide and invisibility. I'm curious what is holding him back from winning tourneys?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Reptile has great repertoire of specials. Slow/fast Acid ball, acid spit, elbow dash, slide and invisibility. I'm curious what is holding him back from winning tourneys?
I was just talking about this the a moment ago, hahaha. It's not about his options, it's just that he is easy to figure out, so Reptile players have to constantly change things up in a match to keep the opponent on his toes and not caught in a pattern.

McNasty

Moist.
Imo the best way to play reptile is to zone/counter zone force them to make mistakes on their way in or go to them using exfb setups. Staying just inside or outside of max dash range is the ultimate footsie tool. Just starting out id recomend learning to use dash for movement, zoning characteristics vs the cast, and oki set ups for landed dashes. Practice d4 into acid hand, slide, fast fb and invisability. There is lots of info out there for reptile, shout outs to the Q and A and matchup discussion threads.

It's even, definitely.
I disagree. I feel like it is in reptiles favor. Like 6-4. Rep is good at playing keep away and creator.g an obstacle course to get through. Also, doesn't the second fireball in the ex ball miss rep if ducking, messing up that frame trap?

Obviously once cage is in its a nightmare but I still feel its a favorable match up for reptile with even players.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Death

Noob
No Treadmill. Reptile zoning will not keep Cage away lol. Cage can still use his ex FB and 11F+1 trap on reptile. He has to do 13~exforceball vs Reptile rather than F+33. He has to do 13 vs a few other characters as well. That MU is most def even.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I disagree. I feel like it is in reptiles favor. Like 6-4. Rep is good at playing keep away and creator.g an obstacle course to get through. Also, doesn't the second fireball in the ex ball miss rep if ducking, messing up that frame trap?

Obviously once cage is in its a nightmare but I still feel its a favorable match up for reptile with even players.

No, cage's dash is way too fast and covers way too much space to be kept out. If he isn't using ex fb traps you can get out with dash/ex dash, if he does you have to take it or if you know its coming duck block it. They really cause each to play a bit safer than they normally would.

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I agree with Curbo, Death and Joker. I remember back when people said Reptile beats Cage 7-3 or 6-4. Back then I didn't really agree with it and I still don't at best, Reptile can zone Cage out when he gets a good health lead. But besides that, in my experience Reptile gets raped once Cage is near him. I believe Reptile can dash out of strings, but that's not a guarantee and in most cases I end up getting blown up for trying it.

I think it is either 5-5 or Cage advantage. While Reptile might avoid some of Cage's pressure, it's not to the point that Reptile gets out of pressure for free. And once he does get out it's not like Cage has an extremely tough time getting in.

Also, my Reptile playstyle is very aggressive. I like to play footsies and pressure hard once I am confident. I do zone, but it's not my go to strategy. The most zoning I do is to chip away at health/build meter. Most of the time I throw forceballs just to get my footsies and pressure going. I also am an avid user of invisibilty.

Altaire

Noob
What do you mean his retarded lizard look? That's how he's supposed to look, he is Reptile after-all!
Where is the dislike button?

Anyway TC, if you have trouble timing the 3 2 1 dash whiff NJP, try this: Input the dash, IMMEDIATELY hold up, and then piano the inputs. If you're unfamiliar with the term, just slide your thumb from 1 to 2 as you leave the ground. Basically, because NJPs can be triggered with both 1 and 2, it effectively gives you two chances at inputting the NJP on time, which makes tight input windows a lot easier to work with. I actually trained myself to do this for all NJPs just to be as consistent as possible, and I'd recommend it to everyone.

I agree with Curbo, Death and Joker. I remember back when people said Reptile beats Cage 7-3 or 6-4. Back then I didn't really agree with it and I still don't at best, Reptile can zone Cage out when he gets a good health lead. But besides that, in my experience Reptile gets raped once Cage is near him. I believe Reptile can dash out of strings, but that's not a guarantee and in most cases I end up getting blown up for trying it.

I think it is either 5-5 or Cage advantage. While Reptile might avoid some of Cage's pressure, it's not to the point that Reptile gets out of pressure for free. And once he does get out it's not like Cage has an extremely tough time getting in.

Also, my Reptile playstyle is very aggressive. I like to play footsies and pressure hard once I am confident. I do zone, but it's not my go to strategy. The most zoning I do is to chip away at health/build meter. Most of the time I throw forceballs just to get my footsies and pressure going. I also am an avid user of invisibilty.
I don't think its a walk in the park and he gets out for free either. I just think if there is a blue print to beat cage, rep has a lot of the tools to do so.

Just curious, if reptile isn't a bad match up who do guys feel is? Kabal, maybe sub?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I don't think its a walk in the park and he gets out for free either. I just think if there is a blue print to beat cage, rep has a lot of the tools to do so.

Just curious, if reptile isn't a bad match up who do guys feel is? Kabal, maybe sub?

Against Cage?? Kenshi, DUH lol. It's not as bad as most people say but I still think 6-4 Kenshi.

NKZero

Noob
Against Cage?? Kenshi, DUH lol. It's not as bad as most people say but I still think 6-4 Kenshi.
i still maintain Reptile is a bad match for Cage. That elbow dash is crucial in this match and can work for or against you. He will have to go through some zoning to get in and because F33-EX low ball doesn't work (I know 13 does), it kinda limits him more than it does vs other characters.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
i still maintain Reptile is a bad match for Cage. That elbow dash is crucial in this match and can work for or against you. He will have to go through some zoning to get in and because F33-EX low ball doesn't work (I know 13 does), it kinda limits him more than it does vs other characters.
Because he has 13 it does the exact same thing, he gets out the ex low ball while jailing you and is now at +5 and ready to build more meter and do it again. Elbow dash is not as useful in this mu as you guys think it is, keep dashing after strings and you are just going to catch a f33 nut punch after it gets blocked. Ex dash is the reliable way to go, but you are using Reptile's meter. He can't zone Cage out, his dash blocking is WAY TOO GOOD, he is getting in eventually.

yyyeeaaahhh, no. After some speculation, JC actually can BEAT reptile. Reptile zoning isnt even that good..... why do people still think at this point that reptile zoning is good? the excuse of having JC is a bad mu because he cant get in is ridiculous. He builds more meter when hes in anyways. The only advantage is reptile can start offense w.e he wishes, but his normals are trash anyways.

GL poking out with that trash D3 and D1...

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
yyyeeaaahhh, no. After some speculation, JC actually can BEAT reptile. Reptile zoning isnt even that good..... why do people still think at this point that reptile zoning is good? the excuse of having JC is a bad mu because he cant get in is ridiculous. He builds more meter when hes in anyways. The only advantage is reptile can start offense w.e he wishes, but his normals are trash anyways.

GL poking out with that trash D3 and D1...
While I disagree that Reptile's zoning is bad, I do agree that it;s not good enough to make him have an advantage over Cage. Reptile can elbow dash out of EX ball pressure, but Cage still kills him up close. I almost lost to a Cage player who isn't very experienced this weekend and it was really difficult to do much against him. I think it's 5-5, if anyone has advantage it's Cage