What's new

It's time I picked up Reptile

NKZero

Noob
One year into the game's existence and I've finally decided that I need to add one of my favourite characters to my army of kombatants. Reptile used to be my favourite up to UMK3 and then he was given that retarded-looking lizard form which I did not like. I abandoned him in the 3D games and also in MK9 purely based on looks.

Having decided to drop Nightwolf because I just wasn't meshing well with him, I looked into Reptile and just thought what the heck. After some lab time and a run on ladder mode I must say I really enjoy playing him. Looks aside I really like the way he feels in this game so I have decided I need to play him.

(I know Joker8417 will be pleased since I only last week told him I do not like this character any more :p.)

Anyways can you guys tell me how Reptile is best played? If someone can give me a mini summary of the character so I know where to begin.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Reptile can be played any way you want, he can be a Zoner, Footsies, or a Rushdown(lesser extent) character.

His normal dash is garbage, his walk speeds are pretty good though. But if you want to move quickly use elbow dash.

His main bnb is- 321 elbow dash njp(Don't mash it, memorize the timing) 32 Fast forceball slow forceball 321 Slide/Invis/Forceball(Ex or not).

His main string to use is 321, he's neutral on 3, 32, and 321. Hit confirm the 321 to dash or acid hand if the opponent blocks it.

You can also do 321 ex elbow which makes you +5 on block, but the opponent can jump out of the ex dash so use it sparingly.

Zoning consists of forceballs and his acid spit, Forceballs are really slow but will be a full 25-30% combo if it connects. Spit is a decent projectile with good speed but meh recovery. Forceballs will lower your hitbox enough to duck kitana's IAFans.

His d4 lowers his hitbox quite nicely and you can link d4 into acidhand which is a good footsies tool. D4 into forceball works good too.

His d3 is 7 frames +3 on hit but -6 on block, d1 is a lightning fast 9 frames and negative on both hit and block.

Some shenanigans with invis consist of d4 into invis, or 32 invis(-2 on block). Don't use Ex invis unless you feel gutsy.

NKZero

Noob
Reptile can be played any way you want, he can be a Zoner, Footsies, or a Rushdown(lesser extent) character.

His normal dash is garbage, his walk speeds are pretty good though. But if you want to move quickly use elbow dash.

His main bnb is- 321 elbow dash njp(Don't mash it, memorize the timing) 32 Fast forceball slow forceball 321 Slide/Invis/Forceball(Ex or not).

His main string to use is 321, he's neutral on 3, 32, and 321. Hit confirm the 321 to dash or acid hand if the opponent blocks it.

You can also do 321 ex elbow which makes you +5 on block, but the opponent can jump out of the ex dash so use it sparingly.

Zoning consists of forceballs and his acid spit, Forceballs are really slow but will be a full 25-30% combo if it connects. Spit is a decent projectile with good speed but meh recovery. Forceballs will lower your hitbox enough to duck kitana's IAFans.

His d4 lowers his hitbox quite nicely and you can link d4 into acidhand which is a good footsies tool. D4 into forceball works good too.

His d3 is 7 frames +3 on hit but -6 on block, d1 is a lightning fast 9 frames and negative on both hit and block.

Some shenanigans with invis consist of d4 into invis, or 32 invis(-2 on block). Don't use Ex invis unless you feel gutsy.
Thanks a lot man! What about his 2F31+2 reset? Is that specific timing or what because every time I tried it against the AI they would never block the 1+2 so I ended up knocking them down and not reset them standing. Also I lol'd at the D1 haha. So I'm guessing that is his best poke yeah?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Thanks a lot man! What about his 2F31+2 reset? Is that specific timing or what because every time I tried it against the AI they would never block the 1+2 so I ended up knocking them down and not reset them standing. Also I lol'd at the D1 haha. So I'm guessing that is his best poke yeah?
Oh yeah, 2f31+2 will not work on the AI for some odd reason, but it will work against a real opponent, and if they block it you'll be at +8.

His best pokes would be d4 and d3, I was kidding on the d1 part :p.

NKZero

Noob
Oh yeah, 2f31+2 will not work on the AI for some odd reason, but it will work against a real opponent, and if they block it you'll be at +8.

His best pokes would be d4 and d3, I was kidding on the d1 part :p.
Cheers big ears! Yeah I know twas a joke haha. One more thing, should you ever use meter for EX force balls?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Cheers big ears! Yeah I know twas a joke haha. One more thing, should you ever use meter for EX force balls?
Yes, they're both very good and +2 on block.

Ex FFB will result in a positive trade most of the time allowing you to get a 30% combo

Ex SFB allows you to dash in and get apply pressure, very good for characters without a teleport.

Also doing 321 Ex ball will cause pushback and will(for some reason) make the opponent want to jump in, you can blow them up by doing a njp into a full combo. Shout outs to Temjiin

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com

Ex FFB will result in a positive trade most of the time allowing you to get a 30% combo

Ex SFB allows you to dash in and get apply pressure, very good for characters without a teleport.

Also doing 321 Ex ball will cause pushback and will(for some reason) make the opponent want to jump in, you can blow them up by doing a njp into a full combo. Shout outs to Temjiin
I'm garbage. Don't try my ideas, you'll get blown up.

My advice is learn his footsies. He is awesome when you play him within dash range. D4 forceball is my favorite toy right now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Wait so if you went for the ex tele kick mileena punish and messed up and a Ex FB came out instead so you're +2 right there?

So even if you missed the punish couldnt you get a throw off of that or a block string building meter and taking chip?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Wait so if you went for the ex tele kick mileena punish and messed up and a Ex FB came out instead so you're +2 right there?

So even if you missed the punish couldnt you get a throw off of that or a block string building meter and taking chip?
You're at plus +2 but the pushback makes it so 321 can't connect, and if you try to normal dash 321. She can just roll you into full combo.

NKZero

Noob
What do you mean his retarded lizard look? That's how he's supposed to look, he is Reptile after-all!
he looked much better in human form in the older games. also his MK1 costume in this game sucks (they all do). he's too beefed up and he prances around like a fairy lizard it just annoys me. it is what it is though. im still playing him...

Death

Noob
I come across alot of online reptiles who do 32 pause 32~invis. Is that an actual good strat? I was blowing it up with ex cartwheel but can fast normals get out of that. Do I have to waste a bar of meter to get out of that studder pressure.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I come across alot of online reptiles who do 32 pause 32~invis. Is that an actual good strat? I was blowing it up with ex cartwheel but can fast normals get out of that. Do I have to waste a bar of meter to get out of that studder pressure.
No especially offline, you can punsih invis with 114 with sonya I assume. When I get really good connections against reptile players I do that off reaction time so it should be easier offline.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
CURBOLICOUS and Death 32 invis leaves reptile at -2 so yeah you can just full combo him if he tries to follow up with another string. I use it every now and then just to keep my opponent honest but you definitely don't have to waste armor. If in any doubt just down poke lol. Some people even do 122 invis which leaves him @ -7.... 32 by itself is zero on block though.

Curbo curious what do you think the Rep vs Cage matchup is? I hear JC players saying its 7-3 reptile which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty even MU IMO.

NKZero

Noob
I was just thinking about this with all the recent exposing of the EX elbow dash. isn't the best time to do it after a slow force ball since if they try to jump out they will get caught by the ball? isn't that the safest way to guarantee an EX elbow dash lockdown and you are +5 or something like that afterwards...

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I was just thinking about this with all the recent exposing of the EX elbow dash. isn't the best time to do it after a slow force ball since if they try to jump out they will get caught by the ball? isn't that the safest way to guarantee an EX elbow dash lockdown and you are +5 or something like that afterwards...
Absolutely and depending on the spacing, Reptile is @ +10 I believe Somberness?? Granted you have to use 2 bars and some people may not believe this is practical but say you do catch them not blocking its turns into nice damage ending with slide for a potential of around 60-70% depending on what combo you did to set up the EX slow ball.