What's new

Question Is your character better, same, or worse?

gam224

The world's least hype player
It's been two weeks since the patch dropped and while nobody has come up with a tier list yet we are starting to come up with opinions on our characters in comparison to the rest of the cast. My question is to those of you who played a character both pre and post patch is your character better same or worse.

Examples (my opinion)

Bartitsu: same
It helps that staff spin negates projectiles but he can't do a lot with the meter in terms of getting in and attacks with two hits of Armour hurt his OTG game

Royal storm: Better
With the ability to cancel her up fans into ex float kitana skyrockets through the tiers. She has offense and defense and even after the throat slice Nerf she's still solid

Worse: Flame fist
Armour was everything to flame fist. While he still does great damage and gets good damage off fireballs he's just not the offensive monster he once was. Also not jailing into low fireball hurt his game

Discuss

(Edit) to clarify this is in relation to the rest of the cast

Last edited:

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Drunken master: Better
Mobility helps for obvious reasons. Faster run also makes some of his old midscreen bnbs much easier to do.

Tremor: Better
Made some of his already strong normals even stronger.

Jax: Worse
Lost some of the plus frame on some of his normals but the universal nerfs really hurt. HW cannot rocket cancel into midscreen bnb anymore and the loss of armor on dashpunch made some of his matchups even more difficult now.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Maybe because Flamefirst is a zoning monster

In fact I think the general changes to Meta made Flamefist better

One of the top Kang guys will know better than me though
personally I feel like these days DF is better if you are just going to zone. You can convert ex air fireballs into an easy 40% or so on top of having a two bar armoured launcher. What are your thoughts on cage ATM? which variation is his best?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Fisticuffs Cage: Better, because of the buff + armor launchers removal benefited his pressure.

Balanced Kenshi: Worse. Lost his main tool, no buffs that truly compensate it.

Bo (all variations): Better. The little extra speed and the ability to cancel projectiles now in Bartitsu and DB make it a little easier to play his game.

Tanya (Naginata): Worse. Damage nerf sucks so hard. Armor on Swing Kick is nice and leaves you in Staff Stance but meh...

Tanya (Pyro): Better. Cleaned her up around the edges a little bit.

Worse:
Mileena (piercing) She's still amazing, but she is obviously worse because of the nerfs she received.
Mileena (all variations) She received an unneeded nerf to her damage. Complete bullshit.
Tanya (Naginata) she got the most bullshit ass nerf to her damage. She should 100% get it back.
Better
Tanya (Kobu Jutsu) she got armor back on her first rekka. She's looking good. Personally there are somethings I would give her but that's a different topic.
Tanya (Pyromancer) She's looking fucking amazing. Again like I said before, there are somethings I would give her but she's looking great.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Leatherface (All Variations): Better
He just didn't get hit hard by the changes. Butcher lost his launching armor (RIP) but his gaps aren't nearly as worth to abuse as they were before. Killer just does the same dumb shit he did before (Sleep on this character people, please) and Pretty Lady got actively buffed from the stamina changes. Good shit.

Bojutsu: Worse
Ok so Bojutsu isn't bad by any means and I love the character but we can't ignore that the removal of launching armor, while it didn't kill him, it definitely was a blow to him and the pointless damage nerf on BF4 (I don't even know why, makes just about as much sense as nerfing Leatherface's F2 because of Killer.) so while he's still pretty viable, he did get hurt.

Commando: MUCH BETTER
Hoooooly shit this character got better. Didn't even change that much directly but the universal changes have made him a MONSTER in this meta. Watch out for this guy, he's scary.

Wigy

There it is...
A-list

A lot worse. Pressure is completely fucked and his buttons outside f3 and d4 and below average.

Bo rai cho

Better mobility. Still gets zoned out by 75% of the cast though.

Vini_Strife

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
A-list: Worse, useless buttons now

Cyrax: Worse, more negative strings and setups didn't work with almost any char now

Cassie Hollywood: worse, who the hell doens't punish -35 on block ?

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Shaolin - Worse

I can understand ex low chakram not coming back on block and being -5. I don't understand why chakram going through armor meets this requirement.

Upkick/Drop changes make little sense to me. It was a good mixup and I abused it if the opponent didn't know what to do but no delay was -7, no drop was 0 and could be os' d, and delayed drop could be OS' d. I don't see game breaking stuff here. Not to mention upkick sailed over a third of the cast and was easily punished everytime it did. The first time I got caught in Possessed's teleport shenanigans I labbed and researched. I don't get it.

A damage nerf and now since upkick/drop is basically an ender, it is too inconsistent to even use.

Ancestral is the new hotness. If you look at the frame data it makes even less sense of Shaolin's changes. I expect many threads in the future complaining about ancestral.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Tanya (Dragon Naginata) : worse, tbh i was expecting damage nerf yet %7 is too freaking much. High damage was the specialty of that variation actually, however the new ex armored move is golden

Tanya (Kobu Jutsu) : cant decide yet because the non ex rekka delaying stuff is no more, with armor there should have been at least %1 or %2 damage buff

Tanya (Pyromancer) : better, that variation has got what it needs i think.

Overall thought is, if NRS intended to nerf naginatas dmg that bad, giving back 3,4 +special or at least %1-2 dmg buff on kobu would be fair

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Worse: Thunder God Raiden, the run cancel nerfs hit him pretty hard pressure-wise and EX shocker no longer having armor is a bummer. Still, the overall meta change did help him out so he's worse, but not too much.

Better: Cyber Sub and Goro. F13~Ball for Cyber Sub let's go. Halfscreen F3 for Goro boys let's go. The universal changes helped Cyber Sub out a lot too.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Worse: Thunder God Raiden, the run cancel nerfs hit him pretty hard pressure-wise and EX shocker no longer having armor is a bummer. Still, the overall meta change did help him out so he's worse, but not too much.

Better: Cyber Sub and Goro. F13~Ball for Cyber Sub let's go. Halfscreen F3 for Goro boys let's go. The universal changes helped Cyber Sub out a lot too.
Have you seen Mr Aquaman's Cyber Sub? Seeing that made me really like where Cyber Sub is in the meta.