What's new

Is This The Start Of NRS Losing Control Of MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i fully support crimsonshadow on this one as a tym 2011 master-race elite member myself.

yeah crimson is right, 2017 2018 2019 tym members don't know shit!
hell, if you ask me, even 2012 2013 2014 2015 and 2016 tym members don't know shit too!
lul

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The crazy thing is that JBeezy came in so upbeat and positive and now every post is shitting on the game and the developer. Bro, do you even play this game? Lol
Yeah, and I can understand not agreeing with everything the developer does — like, that’s life. But it’s the clickbait and hyperbole that are totally unnecessary.

Like, when you’re saying the game is going to die before it’s even out, and trying to get other people to bandwagon with you, etc.

I get that people have gripes with certain decisions, but there’s a way to deal with it where you can still support the community and still make it a positive place in the meantime. Instead of trying to burn everything to the ground and create massive angry drama with every single thread.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
My biggest worry is that the long wait between releases will kill KP2. If the bean counters don't think it's worth the investment, it gets the axe. And I don't think a staggered release to combo with movies and such is going to help.
So that's my concern. KP2 is on the block. KP3 ain't happening with this schedule, as there won't be enough engagement to justify the cost.

[edit] And yes, Crimson often comes off as a shill. You just have to old school ignore him (can't ignore the admin, lol) if you don't want to hear that. Live and let live, peeps.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

MK11 DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH DEPTH TO HAVE A DLC CHARACTER SPREAD OUT FOR MONTHS TO KEEP MOST PEOPLE PLAYING!
says who, new tech is still being discovered daily and in great bulk.
Exactly... What a load of rubbish. New tech is coming daily and for every single charicter, Even the top pros are releasing lists every month or so and they are never the same as the last time they did. I mean, opinions are a thing, but that statement is just 100% bullshit. If this is a stagnant meta.. I would HATE to see what you think of other games that are out there!

Last edited:
My take on it is that there's no big conspiracy with WB pulling the strings for the sake of being evil. I think it's just a lot of the realities of doing what they're doing. The release timelines probably reflect the fact that this stuff takes development time and they're trying to make that sustainable and realistic. Consumers think two months is a long time, but in the software world, when you take competing priorities into account like paying off technical debt, ancillary features to support the main feature, developers taking time off, and whatever QA means for that piece of software, two months goes by in a blink. I'm sure if WB could get away with releasing characters every week and players kept paying for them, they'd be onboard for that. No one wants these coming out every two months, but that's the reality of how long it takes.

With this franchise, there's other stuff too. It's a big controversy with the Ash vs Joker thing, but it's pretty likely there's stuff with Bruce's contract that makes this stickier than they were expecting, or impossible. Sometimes stuff just falls through and it's not solely for the purpose of screwing customers.

Yes, WB is primarily concerned with making money, and some stuff that feels "smarmy" to people like film tie-ins are definitely for marketing purposes, but there's a middle ground here. Ultimately lots of people also are in this because they want to make a game they're proud of, and it's just a lot of different people working within the bounds of the realities of the business.

KI gives you 2 free characters; Jago and Fulgore when you complete a Shadow Lords run.

And Sabrewulf has been .99 cents for the last 2 years, if I remember correctly.
Right, my point is it's not really "F2P/live service" in many key aspects, even if it is free....to play (lol). More like free to start, buy as many pieces of the game as you want. There's no way to grind and earn game content over time, no rotating selection of free fighters always available.
The crazy thing is that JBeezy came in so upbeat and positive and now every post is shitting on the game and the developer. Bro, do you even play this game? Lol
I can appreciate that, but I think the point-of-view of this thread is reductive. There's so many layers to this shit, assigning a big amorphous corporate face to everything you don't like is just not reality (see: every conspiracy theory in existence). When there's a meeting with NRS/WB producers, I can guarantee everyone in the room wants to make some damn money. At the same time, everyone in the room wants to make players excited and happy (which is also one of the easiest ways to make money). There's a lot of reading into one part of a tweet by Ed Boon, "this isn't our choice". This could mean anything from licensing issues with guest characters, there were just unforseen delays in getting the fighter models ready and put into the trailer, to whatever else, or even a combination of a lot of little things.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Since MK9, the stain of WB on the studio has become more and more prevalent, now resulting in the most fucked up release from the studio to date.

I have to wonder if it’s possible for NRS to become its own entity, separate from WB, at this point. I fear what will become of MK12 if things stay as they are.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
People are upset about everything.

People say they want open communication, and they get it, and they're mad. People say they just want a roadmap, they get it, and they're mad. They criticize NRS for crunch and say they should take things slower. They take things slower, and now it's a betrayal and people DEMAND their money back.

Cue the heavily-monetized YouTube outrage videos. Talk about broken trust, the value of communication, and some other things that make people good and angry and more likely to click "subscribe".
That crunch thing is important.

I wonder how many people were jumping at them for crunching their employees and are now upset that content will take longer because they have an actual less toxic work cycle.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
If you're born in between 1980-2005 or so, you're a millennial, btw.
Way to make me feel old :).

GEN X FOREVER!

I wonder how many people were jumping at them for crunching their employees and are now upset that content will take longer because they have an actual less toxic work cycle.
Some are, for sure.

A lot of those people, I would wager, are not really motivated by the plight of the people who make products they love or the rights of the consumer they champion, but more the love of the click and of the attention they may receive by stirring up angry folks.

Really though, both as a professional and as a fan of NRS products, I'm super-happy that they're taking a step back and keeping the release schedule realistic.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

Removing crunch doesn't equate to less toxic work cycles.

Especially when the company was built upon it.

I feel like WB is responsible for the weird release dates of the DLC characters. I mean this is the same company that's like "hey let's release the first trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters in September. Oh no! Captain Marvel is releasing in March, I know, let's release it in May where it has to compete with EDNGAME, several Disney movies, Detective Pikachu and John Wick 3. Oh and let's have TV spots that say go on YouTube to see the full trailer but not the release date for the film. What's that? It flopped? But why did no one see it?"

I feel like WB is responsible for the weird release dates of the DLC characters. I mean this is the same company that's like "hey let's release the first trailer for Godzilla: King of the Monsters in September. Oh no! Captain Marvel is releasing in March, I know, let's release it in May where it has to compete with EDNGAME, several Disney movies, Detective Pikachu and John Wick 3. Oh and let's have TV spots that say go on YouTube to see the full trailer but not the release date for the film. What's that? It flopped? But why did no one see it?"
What is weird about the release dates to you, specifically? Also do you honestly believe the film and publishing arms of a multi-national corporation have any relevance to each other?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
It’s the millennials fault that they’re making DLC for movies that most of them weren’t even alive yet to see come out?
This thread doesn’t have anything to do with the characters themselves or even the devs. It’s about the release dates and general crappiness of their marketing since launch.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
This thread doesn’t have anything to do with the characters themselves or even the devs. It’s about the release dates and general crappiness of their marketing since launch.
The release dates are industry standard and the marketing resulted in MK11 being the top selling YTD game as of the end of last month (it will not hold onto that position).

So what is this thread about again?

Status
Not open for further replies.