What's new

Is This The Start Of NRS Losing Control Of MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
The whole discussion is built around the SUBJECTIVE idea that this game won't last.
Without that central idea there's little point in everything else
All anyone can do at this point is speculate. Drama without info is a hotbed for conspiracy. So many ppl whine about TYM being a drama forum instead of a competitive one but look at where the discussion leads.

I think WB rushed the fuck out of NRS, was surprised about the PR shitshow, and is now telling them to take their time and jam more big names into their dlc.

NRS probably wishes things were smoother and is adjusting to the new pace and marketing plan. I think theres just some friction between the sheer amount of work at launch of 11 (and previous titles) and the comparatively glacial pace of this post release. Now everyone is confused.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
  • JBeezybaby: Breaths
  • TYM: YOU ARE NEW HERE SO YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THINGS WORK.
  • JBeezybaby: Sneezes
  • TYM: THE ONLY THING YOU DO IS COMPLAIN AND YOU DON'T LIKE NRS GAMES SO WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE!?
All joking aside, I really don't think it's healthy to try to make members who have been around here for 2 years or more feel alienated just because they didn't like the end of Injustice 2 and/or the current state of MK11 -- which are actually NOT unique opinions, mind you.

I believe even SonicFox said he didn't like the end of Injustice 2. Plenty of members here, plus pro players, streamers, etc, have said they have issues with the current state of MK11 which usually comes down to the variation system. Some like it or dislike it more than others, but I feel a lot of people can agree that MK11 needs some considerable changes.

With that being said, I don't agree with every thread JBeezybaby makes which is fine. This is less about disagreeing and more about the fact that we shouldn't be alienating and undercutting opinions because hey, "you haven't been around long enough", or BS arguments like that. I think that's pretty fair, right?

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited:

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I see a shadow from the past...

Exactly what I thought when I saw the release schedule. Marketing doing it's usual collateral damage, I guess.

To all those "But. but. OTHER fighting games do this!" Yeah, they don't sell like MK either, so maybe those games should be looking at what our game is doing, not the other way around. eye roll

Mostly I'm just pissed because we're not getting Ash, instead replaced with the Joker (who likes like a 9 year old. Barf). In other fighting games, of which I own most, I don't buy season packs. The content is too spread out and a boring character kills the whole rhythm. Now I'll have to treat MK the same. It's a shame.

jmt

Noob
You're looking at each character in a vacuum instead of as a line of interconnected content. Yes, it will be 7 months before Spawn releases. That's objectively correct. The thing is, it's not like the developers are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs for those 7 months. We have Terminator to be completed by early October, Sindel to be completed by late November, Joker to be completed by late January, and Spawn to follow in March. Again, 7-9 week windows between each. Looking at it as if Spawn is the only DLC coming which means he should come earlier is disingenuous.
I get it. Just a bit long imo.

People waited a Boon tweet to realize WB suits are responsible for bad desicions.

MK11 Kombat back: a Dlc bundle which everyone bought on their own responsibility, out of blind faith, without having an official release date and roster included.

WB suits are harming the franchise for sure, but as it is already said, this is the price for having over the top quality and presentation.
Remember when everybody bitched for ugly faces in a fighting game, like it matters? Face scans and ultra graphics require ultra money I suppose.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Face scans and ultra graphics require ultra money I suppose.
Nah, not really. The technology for that is improving all the time, and NRS already has the equipment set ups. The tech is being pushed by the movie industry and those VFX shops run on a shoe string budget (and what games do isn't close to what they're producing).
Probably more money went into the voice work and guaranteed a ton went into using the likeness of famous people.

The whole discussion is built around the SUBJECTIVE idea that this game won't last.
Without that central idea there's little point in everything else
Really that's so much of the core of this. If people think the game won't last because they don't like the fighting engine, that's a subjective stance. If people don't like the choices of DLC fighters/guest characters that's a subjective opinion. If someone has these and other subjective opinions, then it might appear to them that something is going wrong, so someone needs to be blamed -- WB is the easiest choice, for better or worse. Not saying anyone is "right" or "wrong", these things all have varying degrees of gray. Publishers and corporate interests always have a hand in development. Just saying how I can see how some people are hitting the panic button, even if I definitely don't see it.

It's easy to say that WB is pulling the strings and "making" NRS put guest characters in the game if you don't like the guests they chose. If you do like the guest characters, then WB is the facilitator for which NRS is able to procure and use the rights to these iconic franchise characters. Again, it's subjective: I love MK characters but Terminator will be fucking cool as shit. Joker in a legit MK game with fatalities will be sweet. I 100% don't like Spawn comics but I'm happy that fans will be able to play him, and am just generally excited to see what NRS artists do with his design and animations. If it were just MK characters we would see the same bitching and arguing about which ones were left out, but WB wouldn't be an easy target.
If this is the future of gaming, we're in big fucking trouble.
This is definitely true, unfortunately. We're close to a turning point in the industry, but suffice it to say players simultaneously have a demand for more content and quicker, and they also want to be able to play their favorite game forever and still have fresh experiences. I'm pretty confident MK11's release schedule reflects both the amount of time it takes to make those characters as well as provide steady interest spikes for players to return and keep the game relevant in the incredibly crowded gaming space.
IJ2 DLC was probably much further along which is why it was delivered so quickly. Not to mention that the IJ2 characters played largely the same as their IJGU counterparts with the exception of a few tweaks. That means less work was needed to complete IJ2's base roster. MK11 drastically changed the way all the MK characters play meaning they did not get a head start on their DLC like they did with IJ2.
Absolutely true. Players so often don't have even a vague idea how much these things take to make. For example, Battlefield V maps take upwards of 8 months to be fully completed. These DLC fighters don't just take the 2 months between releases to be completed from start to finish, they've been worked on for a long time before that.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It is still funny, after all this time the best FG we've had in terms of gameplay + sales + netcode + training was a FTP game.

Almost like the model that everyone should be trying to emulate is KI, but they can't convince the 98 year old CEO that free sells.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
NO and NO.

The only issue is the release of this trailer, it should have been last may. theres clearly something wrong with the Ash Williams character and most likely caused the delay And got taken out of K pack 1.

Releasing spawn next march is genius, its probably going to cause the game to sell more copies.

It is still funny, after all this time the best FG we've had in terms of gameplay + sales + netcode + training was a FTP game.

Almost like the model that everyone should be trying to emulate is KI, but they can't convince the 98 year old CEO that free sells.
I suspect that it wasn't "purely" F2P, certainly the fact that they were a console exclusive means they were paid otherwise though that contract which can take a lot of different forms, and perhaps Microsoft had payments planned out based on # of installs/players. I would be curious to see what a truly F2P fighting game would look like, however. I'm guessing we'll see that with Riot's game if it ever sees daylight.

EDIT: plus, only one fighter for the free version as far as I can tell.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
I see it's become more fashionable to hate on NRS these days. But aren't a lot of these issues gaming issues in 2019? Microtransactions, DLC that should have been in the base, patching issues that should have never been present on release, continuing the development cycle through the life of the game, vague preorder bonuses, etc.

How much can you blame a formerly respectable development studio like NRS for pursuing what every other competitor is doing? Monetization of features we used to expect has become a norm, led by the likes of EA (which had a revenue of $ 5 billion in revenue including $1 billion in profits last year). The lure of this business strategy is too much for just about any developer to resist. It would probably be irresponsible for them to do so imo, even though it has decreased the quality of the product for consumers like us.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
It's been this way for a while. I know dude is a spazz, but TotalMK made a video about it around 2012 talking about the difference between Midway and WB. How Midway used to hook up the smaller MK forums with exclusive screenshots and merch for giveaways, but WB wont even give you a callback. And mind you this was back in 2012 when forums were still popping. WB definitely wedged a divide between the MK team and the fans. There's a huge corporate wall between us now.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Uh, no. I know you're relatively new here, but not much has changed. NRS has always been connected through WB to guest characters and licensing deals depend on the publisher (and always have, for years), not just the dev house.

NRS is not 'losing control' of anything.. This is just how things work in business. And it seems like the people who've played every NRS game the least are fond of attacking them the most over every little thing.
The crazy thing is that JBeezy came in so upbeat and positive and now every post is shitting on the game and the developer. Bro, do you even play this game? Lol

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
The release date is actually REALLY good for the game. NRS has spoken a lot about how they are looking to give the game extra life.. this way the game stays fresh and we have something new and interesting to look forward to,...

BUT more importantly, the meta change of every DLC that gets added is allowed to develop and evolve.

This means balancing is easier for a start.. anyone that debugs knows that reducing the chances of a given build helps track issues.

Also, as I said b4, it allows the players to experience the meta changes as they happen. One of the biggest problems with NRS games is that there is no time for players to really get into things. I mean People were still finding dirt on characters after evo.. The "Garry is OP" stuff, is a symptom of people just not having enough time to get into the rest of the roster. Look at games like MvC2 or smash... when a game is given time character loyalists dig deep and get excellent at their roster slot.. then come and change minds. This, an actual living meta is that these longer release times produce.

The release of the current pack is such a massivly positive step forward for NRS, but the truth is that gamers, as most are fucking children, are some of the most petulant, self absorbed and over privileged consumers around. They are just bitching and moaning as they want it now, instantly and fuck everything else and fuck practicality and the fact that BRS actually needs to pay its employees.

People like Max and other uTubers make money of talking BS... and nothing is more BS than string up trouble. you think that was the first time he saw that video, you think that is actually how ANY human reacts to things.. no. He saw it, planned what he was going to say then acted on camera and spoke about things.. ANYTHING, to keep the view count. That is all tubers give a shit about, havn't you ever wondered why all his videos are AFTER reddit and stuff have started their movments.. and then he magically ALWAYS is on the side of the popualr opinion... it is because he is a fucking fake icon that is just about appealing to the largest majority.

I just wish people spent less time being scum bag loosers and more time being positive the entire world would be a better place. MK11 is a fucking ace game, NRS has committed to massive long term support, something we all asked for.. the roster is fucking amazing, the guest characters are cool af, it looks great, plays great.. but OMG... everything sucks and NRS are fucked because people are winging little fuck tard bitches.

Fuck all of you.

NRS should just never announce DLC at all. Then just spring it on us at large events. It is preconceptions that causes all this trouble.

Apparently, there are a lot of people upset about the DLC. And its not the DLC characters in itself because they look RIGHTEOUS! However, the release dates for each is the worrisome part. And its bigger issue than you think.
you are so negative.. thread after thread saying how much everything sucks and it was the same in Injustice 2 as well... blech..

Status
Not open for further replies.