What's new

Question Is Sinestro really a favorable MU for Doomsday?

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Definitely Doomsday's favor. Like Saltface said, Sinestro has to burn resources to even keep DD at bay. He will eventually walk himself into a corner and lose. It's not unwinnable, and the Sinestro's that do well in this matchup are either

A) playing mediocre Doomsdays
B) much better than the DD player
C) much more adaptive in a long set

These are all pretty much the same thing. If Sinestro wins this matchup, he's being played by someone who is significantly better than said DD player.

E

Eldriken

Maybe that's what I was doing wrong the entire time. I should just let Sinestros burn through their resources so I can get in?

A few volleys of MB Fear Blasts aren't going to do a ludicrous amount of damage. Maybe I was just respecting that too much.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Maybe that's what I was doing wrong the entire time. I should just let Sinestros burn through their resources so I can get in?

A few volleys of MB Fear Blasts aren't going to do a ludicrous amount of damage. Maybe I was just respecting that too much.
Definitely. Get him down to one or no bars and MB venom datass. He doesn't have time to charge trait unless he gets a knockdown.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I honestly prefer using Grundy against Sinestro to both Doomsday and Bane, though I don't particularly mind any one of those matchups. I guess I just like how it's this entirely different meta of racing to land chip trait and then it's GG, motherfucker.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
From what I've heard from Sinestro players and Doomsday players alike, Doomsday is apparently a "bad" MU for Sinestro. I'm wondering if this really is the case.

This question could very well arise from my lack of experience with the MU, but from what I have played, I don't see how it's favorable. It seems more even than anything.

What advantage(s) does Doomsday have against Sinestro? Trait? MB Venom?

Sinestro seems to be able to check Doomsday's trait with d1 spam pretty easily. The only thing that I can think of that makes his trait useful is when you knock Sinestro down in the corner because then he can't wake up. Or, if the Sinestro player knows d1 can keep your trait in check, they may dash into d1 range to keep hitting you, and you can punish it by baiting it out by activating trait.

It took me a few times against P2W last Sunday to realize that every single time I would activate trait outside of the corner, he would immediately dash into d1 range and just keep using it until my trait was gone. After realizing this, I would activate trait far enough away from him and punish his dash in.

Others have suggested that after activating trait, block his d1 and poke back with a d1 one of my own. I tried this and it didn't seem to consistently work. Maybe that's on me and I have to work on my timing.

MB Fear Blast seems to keep Doomsday in check at mid to full screen because it blows up MB Venom, especially if the Sinestro player makes the right read.

Then there's Sinestro's trait. But let's be honest here, WHO DOESN'T have an issue once his trait is out? This makes it even easier for him to blow up MB Venom or stop your oki game, even in the corner. If you block his Arachnid Sting or whatever it is called on wake up and you try to punish, he can stop you with his trait.

d1~Earth Shake anywhere other than the corner gives him a free d2 into vortex as well. So, having to tell yourself to stop using it is certainly a key factor in winning this MU in my opinion. So, it's basically boiling down to raw Earth Shake, d3 and throws.

Trying to body splash him is about as effective as it is against Zod because he pretty much always beats it out with a d2 and even if it trades, he can hit you with Shackles and you're back in the vortex.

Is there something I'm missing as to why this is supposed to be favorable? If I am, please enlighten me. This is one of the MUs I struggle with the most, which is certainly my fault because I don't play enough Sinestro players.

@WoundCowboy
@Hysteria
@Wowbiggulps
The MU could be 5-5, but a few things should be pointed out:
Trait: DD cares much less about Sinestro's trait than most characters. His MB venom (especially since it was buffed) negates many of Sinestro's trait setups. DD's trait also makes Sinestro's completely irrelevant. DD's footsies also can keep the trait charge in check pretty well.

MB FB: It's the same as the trait in that venom blows it up pretty nicely.

D1/D1 ES: Sinestro can blow up D1 ES by crouching and then holding back, the problem is that a smart DD player will start doing D1, sweep, which Sinestro cannot punish at all ranges. The sweep also leads to some pretty good setups for DD. D1 is also a major issue for Sinestro in the corner because his best footsie tool is much slower.

While it could be 5-5, there is a case to be made for it being in DD's favor. He negates the effectiveness of trait and out footsies Sinestro.

E

Eldriken

Trait: DD cares much less about Sinestro's trait than most characters. His MB venom (especially since it was buffed) negates many of Sinestro's trait setups. DD's trait also makes Sinestro's completely irrelevant. DD's footsies also can keep the trait charge in check pretty well.

D1/D1 ES: Sinestro can blow up D1 ES by crouching and then holding back, the problem is that a smart DD player will start doing D1, sweep, which Sinestro cannot punish at all ranges. The sweep also leads to some pretty good setups for DD. D1 is also a major issue for Sinestro in the corner because his best footsie tool is much slower.

While it could be 5-5, there is a case to be made for it being in DD's favor. He negates the effectiveness of trait and out footsies Sinestro.
Thanks for the explanation, Wound. I really appreciate it. I guess this must just boil down to my lack of MU knowledge.

I just hate this fucking MU, I really do. That's probably why I need to work on it as much as I do.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Thanks for the explanation, Wound. I really appreciate it. I guess this must just boil down to my lack of MU knowledge.

I just hate this fucking MU, I really do. That's probably why I need to work on it as much as I do.
Keep in mind sinestro is also a vortex character. I've lost many a match to p2w just by purely guessing wrong.

cR_whiteboi

Jobbers are mouthpieces for gods.

or you could not use your trait while in my 5 second trait and use it when I'm in my 15 second cooldown. I barely out footise you.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Eldriken we only got to play literally one game the other night when we played (something disconnected or something idk) but lets run it more soon. I am just learning the mu too so maybe we can explore it some as we both learn and we can see what happens

E

Eldriken

Eldriken we only got to play literally one game the other night when we played (something disconnected or something idk) but lets run it more soon. I am just learning the mu too so maybe we can explore it some as we both learn and we can see what happens
I got hit with some lovely Florida weather, dude. Power went out.

We'll run get in more games for sure.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I got hit with some lovely Florida weather, dude. Power went out.

We'll run get in more games for sure.
ahh that make sense. It's all good. Next time we are both on I will send an invite. (Side Note: Sorry I haven't gone to play you earlier, I just wanted to have some more experience with my character and work on some fundamental issues before I dealt with Doomsday haha)

cR_whiteboi

Even in your cooldown, u can still negate it with mb shoulder. "Barely outfootsying" me doesn't matter. Dd outfootsies sinestro and sinestro is a footsie character.
I thought we agreed that shoulder doesn't negate anything? And no you compete with me in most ranges. B12 will stop my shoulder in that range.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I thought we agreed that shoulder doesn't negate anything? And no you compete with me in most ranges. B12 will stop my shoulder in that range.
When did we agree on that? Shoulder makes trait shot less effective because it absorbs the zoning. Also, you are going back on what you said. You admitted that Doomsday slightly outfootsies him.

cR_whiteboi

Up close I out footsie you. Everywhere else I'd say its even.
Also we agreed its a waste to trait shot my venom just wait for it and trait after.