What's new

is playing high tier braindead characters making casual players worse at fighting games?

Are overly easy to use characters making casual gamers morons?

• yes

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • no

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
This isn't related to pros so I don't want to hear any of that "the highest level" because it doesn't apply.

From a scrubby online perspective it seems that some people can get by with knowing a characters best string and their specials if you play someone high tier, but when I run into an Ares, a Joker, a Bane they seem to be more proficient with the character overall, is having one wonder string on certain characters and good specials making average players lazy and dumb?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Well i think thats whats always have been. Casuals mostly abuse one string that works best and same for specials.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
No. In regards to fighting games, most casuals are, and will only ever be, morons. Making a genre more "fun" (code for accessible) isn't a bad thing, but soley catering to that crowd can be detrimental to a fighting game being played a the "highest level".

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Regardless of what character a casual player plays he's not going to explore them in and out. So if they pick up superman it's not going to matter anyway, they'll win easier but it's not like they would have been a better player if they used bane. Honestly if they explore the characters options they aren't casual regardless of what character it is.

Btw being a causal player does not mean you're a moron like some other people like to state. I don't understand why people insult the intelligence of people that don't take the game seriously...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don't have any problems beating casual players that pick a "high tier" and try to use the same tactic over and over again. It's predictable, and you can just out-footsie/out space/out-yomi them. It's easy enough to block anyone that just does f23 or b13 or whatever.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Regardless of what character a casual player plays he's not going to explore them in and out. So if they pick up superman it's not going to matter anyway, they'll win easier but it's not like they would have been a better player if they used bane. Honestly if they explore the characters options they aren't casual regardless of what character it is.

Btw being a causal player does not mean you're a moron like some other people like to state. I don't understand why people insult the intelligence of people that don't take the game seriously...
I'm pretty average and don't take this game that seriously, don't go into practice mode that often, but I learn my characters as a whole still. I would consider myself pretty much a casual. Just what I seem to be noticing is if I'm fighting a Superman, a Green Lantern a Black Adam, they only do 1 or 2 things and if those don't work they have no idea what to do. Unlike generally fighting a Bane, a Joker, ect that are average like me they actually seem to adapt and use more of their tools. Maybe it's just because they have to or they wouldn't win at all.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I agree it will make them worse at fighting games and lazy but it won't make them "dumb" and it does not make them a "moron". It's actually pretty dumb and ignorant to say that cause someone is a "casual" they are a moron.

Tbh, I don't think tiers matter online, especially in games like Injustice or MK9 where the netcode is ass. Unless you're talking about a specific character's tools that are easy to exploit like Superman's lasers and f23, Lantern's Might etc. I'm betting that a lot of people are still having trouble with Deathstroke and Scorpion despite both of those characters getting nerfed.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
so is playing a low tier just because you think you're "challenging yourself". That's pretty much the definition of being a scrub...Self-imposed rules that prevent you from winning
Or Winning with a Low Tier means that you have skill.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I agree it will make them worse at fighting games and lazy but it won't make them "dumb" and it does not make them a "moron". It's actually pretty dumb and ignorant to say that cause someone is a "casual" they are a moron.
Insulting people is what I do. Regardless, I meant moron in the sense that they are never going to learn anything playing that way and be ignorant to most of the games mechanics.

Hiltzy85

I'm THAT fast
so what happens if two players both use high-tier characters? are they both unskilled when either of them wins? I have no problem with people using a character because they like the character, but I think choosing somebody that you know sucks BECAUSE they suck is retarded. Nobody is going to put you up on some pedestal because you sometimes win with a crappy character.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Even the high level play appears scrubby to people outside of this game. I was watching evo with my brother and he was asking me why Superman keeps doing the same thing over and over.. lol

Hiltzy85

I'm THAT fast
The main thing I notice when I play people who have really good W/L records using autopilot batman or superman is that as long as they are in the lead or on the offensive, they're dangerous, but as soon as you put pressure on them, they're completely defenseless.

I guess this is pretty much in agreement with really good characters leading to really average players having an inflated sense of how good they are at the game.

Rome

Noob
I love the thread title XD ( mapusa -> XDD )

Imo other players are forced to chose stronger chars then. Like an buddy of me.

He was playing Grundy but vs Superman he HAD to chose a char which could survive vs this unbelievable braindeadness. So he chose Superman... i think thats pretty pretty sad, but unfortunately its nothing new at NRS games

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm pretty average and don't take this game that seriously, don't go into practice mode that often, but I learn my characters as a whole still. I would consider myself pretty much a casual. Just what I seem to be noticing is if I'm fighting a Superman, a Green Lantern a Black Adam, they only do 1 or 2 things and if those don't work they have no idea what to do. Unlike generally fighting a Bane, a Joker, ect that are average like me they actually seem to adapt and use more of their tools. Maybe it's just because they have to or they wouldn't win at all.
Sorry to break it to you, but you aren't a casual. Most people on the forum don't fall into the casual category...maybe the scrub category (I am not calling you a scrub)...but most casuals don't go further than the first level of understading of the fighting game genre.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
so what happens if two players both use high-tier characters? are they both unskilled when either of them wins? I have no problem with people using a character because they like the character, but I think choosing somebody that you know sucks BECAUSE they suck is retarded. Nobody is going to put you up on some pedestal because you sometimes win with a crappy character.
I don't play to win. I play because I love the game. A scrub is someone who pulls because they are losing. Call me names all you want because I'm not listening to your shit.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Sorry to break it to you, but you aren't a casual. Most people on the forum don't fall into the casual category...maybe the scrub category (I am not calling you a scrub)...but most casuals don't go further than the first level of understading of the fighting game genre.
So true most of the time they get home and beat the game (if they can) and then they go online, get bodied 10 times and then trade the game into Gamestop the following week or leave it on the shelf collecting dust forever.