What's new

Is Nightwolfs choke useless?

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I'm trying to think of a situation where it's viable to use the choke, or EH choke for that matter. I know it looks nice in combos, but don't all of Nightwolfs high damaging combos do without it?

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Most times Choke ends up being the same damage in many combos if you substitute 122 shoulder with 12 choke. Only time I really use it tho is if I'm corner pressuring and they release block unexpectedly on F312 then I can confirm into another F312 into 122 choke.

EDIT: I may use it occasionally to interrupt strings like Raiden's B312/334 or Cyrax's 212. Not the best use of meter but it depends on the situation.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
reg choke i sometimes use a combo ender however the BEST use is to use EX choke as a GTFO.

use it on jump ins/cross up. axe is not the best AA because you have to guess its coming meaning you cant do it on reaction, where as if you use EX choke you can do it on reaction AND you will absorb a hit if your a bit slow and it chucks them across the screen.

ex choke rules.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
reg choke i sometimes use a combo ender however the BEST use is to use EX choke as a GTFO.

use it on jump ins/cross up. axe is not the best AA because you have to guess its coming meaning you cant do it on reaction, where as if you use EX choke you can do it on reaction AND you will absorb a hit if your a bit slow and it chucks them across the screen.

ex choke rules.
Useful in the right matches no doubt, you might not want to throw people full screen (kitana, kabal?) but still it is a great way to get people off you, especially on crossup.

Dont agree about the axe AA though, its easy enough to react to jump ins usually, and if your gonna use the meter the EX axe grants more combo damage and you can end combo with shoulder to get the full screen if you were adamant on it.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
Useful in the right matches no doubt, you might not want to throw people full screen (kitana, kabal?) but still it is a great way to get people off you, especially on crossup.

Dont agree about the axe AA though, its easy enough to react to jump ins usually, and if your gonna use the meter the EX axe grants more combo damage and you can end combo with shoulder to get the full screen if you were adamant on it.
no your right about not wanting to throw people across the screen all the time. i will use it almost exclusively against rushdown characters where im getting pressured and i need a break.

axe is awesome at the right distance i believe, but did you notice on saturday my axe being jumped a few times? ex choke would have beaten that. the thing is ex choke has armor too so against jump ins you will win every time, that is if you have meter to chuck away.

i probably use axe more as a AA in reality because i can combo off it and its mostly always at the right distance

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Yeah Axe whiffs from just inside sweep range i think, and we saw enough of that last week, but you can dash back axe, you will normally AA well or if your a bit slow its safe on block. I play kenshi and use RK to beat jump ins and crossups and its fairly similar to NW axe, people jump over it or cross up and it whiffs and you eat shit for it. Just practice, i can jump in at you alot more in our matches if you would prefer? :p

Wemfs

I just saw Lord of the Fly use it as an anti-air in the previous tournament.
I understand it's use as an AA, but why use the normal version of the choke as an AA over the axe swing, let alone at all?

I guess the EH choke is a good GTFO me move, but I see no use at all for the normal choke.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nightwolfs best AA for jip is standing 1. Axe is good on crossovers from the right distance. D4 d3 and d1 can all be used to make jip less effective.

As for choke...I never use it. I only use eh choke on close crossups. Mening it's too close to uppercut, hatchet, or to tight to do a d4 or d1. I also use eh choke if I can read their pressure strings and if I have the life lead, I'm comfortable sitting back and just zoning so I don't mind most people being full screen...especially kitana...not so much kabal.

Please watch my tourney videos from battle and brew when they are posted in a day or two. I played lights out and won it against players like Clint the beast and ATL Redd. You will see what nightwolf can do!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Oh sweet...I kept thinking...nightwolf doesn't have any unbreakable shit....

Now I have to find the most damaging unbreakable...

Eh lightning, choke? Eh lightning, arrow, choke? F2, eh lightning, arrow, choke?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Oh sweet...I kept thinking...nightwolf doesn't have any unbreakable shit....

Now I have to find the most damaging unbreakable...

Eh lightning, choke? Eh lightning, arrow, choke? F2, eh lightning, arrow, choke?
First hit is always unbreakable, after that throw as many projectiles as possible at them and then end on choke as opposed to shoulder.

Can probably put in a hatchet too if your feeling ballzy and hope they dont try breaker on the second hit of your combo, foolishly in this case!

Wemfs

So it does have a use after all. Should post some unbreakable NW combos LOTF.

CJKRattlehead

So it does have a use after all. Should post some unbreakable NW combos LOTF.
Not much hope here unfortunately.

Ex lightning ~ (ex)choke (22%)18%

F2 Ex lightning ~ (ex)choke (31%)27%

If only the arrow would reach at longer distances for unbreakerable damage :(

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
i just started using him but i believe choke on block leaves you at slight advantage. I could be wrong.

CJKRattlehead

i just started using him but i believe choke on block leaves you at slight advantage. I could be wrong.
What?? no way can this be true, I was under the impression that choke was punishable...

Must test, BRB

EDIT: Yeah, WTF were you smoking that move is hella punishable.