What's new

Is MK9 for me?

Jukes

Noob
Hi Komrades of the mortal kombat kommunity. i was thinking about purchasing mk9 today and my initial plan was to wait until the top level players get their hands on the game and watch them play before i buy it.

needless to say im not totally impressed although i'd like to be. i am looking to get away from capcom fighters in general.

i just have a few questions:

does this game suffer from bad matchups as bad as sf4? (like 7-3 or 8-2 matches)

are the kombos harder or easier than sf4?

is there more or less cheap tactics in mk9 than sf4? than mvc3?

how good is kabal, kano, shang tsung, and nightwolf? (4 guys that look interesting)

t,hanks guys.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Hi Komrades of the mortal kombat kommunity. i was thinking about purchasing mk9 today and my initial plan was to wait until the top level players get their hands on the game and watch them play before i buy it.

needless to say im not totally impressed although i'd like to be. i am looking to get away from capcom fighters in general.

does this game suffer from bad matchups as bad as sf4? (like 7-3 or 8-2 matches)

how good is kabal, kano, shang tsung, and nightwolf? (4 guys that look interesting)

t,hanks guys.
Welcome to TYM. :)

- It suffers from some bad matchups yes. I don't know exactly the numbers but certain characters do shut down others pretty easily.

- Combos are far easier to do in this game than SF4. However, negative edge presents a problem right now where certain unwanted moves are thrown out in the process. There are no 1 frame links in this game.

- What do you consider "cheap tactics" ?

- Kabal has a block string infinite that is getting patched. Kano is braindead. Shang Tsung takes work but is very powerful. Nightwolf is great.

Jukes

Noob
Welcome to TYM. :)

- It suffers from some bad matchups yes. I don't know exactly the numbers but certain characters do shut down others pretty easily.

- Combos are far easier to do in this game than SF4. However, negative edge presents a problem right now where certain unwanted moves are thrown out in the process. There are no 1 frame links in this game.

- What do you consider "cheap tactics" ?

- Kabal has a block string infinite that is getting patched. Kano is braindead. Shang Tsung takes work but is very powerful. Nightwolf is great.
thanks for the reply. i mean cheap like effortless moves that are low risk high reward. spammable moves that you'll lose 40% of your bar just to get around.

a good example is like the t.hawk blanka matchup. as long as blanka has charge, there is nothing t.hawk can do, can't punish blanka balls, cant walk forward cus hes slow as dirt, cant jump because vertical ball. basically 1-2 moves will shuts out a single character.

t,hanks guys.
First off... Komrades.... Kombat... Kommunity... wrong number of "K"'s there dude. Add or subtract one. Hahahah!

1.) All fighting games have bad match ups. Don't base your judgement on a fighting game by whether or not it has bad match ups. This game is no different. Might I instead suggest learning two characters who have different bad match ups so that you won't have to worry too much about them?

2.) Combos (kombos?) are easier to do and they are not. There are no stupid arbitrarily hard 1 frame links, but there is dash canceling strings during juggles. You may find it easier, you may find it harder. I personally prefer this to the 1 frame links, but I understand that is preference.

3.) All fighting games have cheap tactics at high level. That's what happens when good players get their hands on a game and there's a tournament scene with money on the line. Things to watch for: Johnny Cage can wake up for free, but punish your wake up attempts every time; Cyrax has a bomb trap that leads to a coin toss mix-up; Sub Zero... he just fucking exists. Granted, he probably won't be a problem for you until you fight decent ones (which there are VERY few) but when you do you'll never feel more helpless; Raiden can punish anything from full screen instantly. That's just when he's not keeping you in frame traps; Kabal has a silly infinite that only works when you're blocking. When you're not blocking, he can reset you back into it. Luckily it's a very hard combo to pull off and loop consistently.

4.) Kabal is cheap, but going to be fixed. Kano was mediocre, now he's cheap, but he's going to be fixed too. Shang Tsung is tough to use, but Alex Valle is pretty successful with him. Most players agree that he's alot better than his player population would have you believe. Nightwolf is what I call "The Spiderman" of this game. In MVC3 most players agree that Spiderman is really good and has alot of tools to hang with the best in the game. Unfortunately, no one really plays Spiderman. That's Nightwolf in MK. No one argues that he's top tier. Also, no one plays him.

Hope I helped. Stay salty my friend.

TWZTID

Noob
Join gamefly and get mk.. At least it's a rental and won't regret spending 60 if you dont like it.

Jukes

Noob
yea, i was thinking about renting it or i might just go down to my local crack sessions and see if i can get in training mode one day. i definitely like nightwolf the most out of the 4 i mentioned. and true, cheap stuff exists in every game, so im still wondering what is going to draw me into it, are the special moves pulled off like the original mk? if so is thats whats causing the wrong inputs?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
All the characters you listed are good mid tier characters, Kabal is probably high tier cause of the block infinite. So I'd say they'd have decent decent matchups against a lot of the cast but I could see them having trouble with the typical top tier characters like Kung Lao and Raiden.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
All the characters you listed are good mid tier characters, Kabal is probably high tier cause of the block infinite. So I'd say they'd have decent decent matchups against a lot of the cast but I could see them having trouble with the typical top tier characters like Kung Lao and Raiden.
Actually, they're all A to S tier characters that he's mentioned.