What's new

Move List - Kotal Kahn Is Kotal Khan too unsafe?

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
Yeah to be honest as a Blood God player myself, I agree he is about low-mid tier right now. But with that being said, one single simple buff can easily shoot him up to top tier and make him overpowered. It's kind of hard to think of a fair buff for him to just shoot him up to upper-mid tier or something.

Maybe make an EX totem summon, where you have one hit of armor while summoning the totem? The armor goes away the instant he's done with the animation of summoning the totem. So you can EX totem to eat a projectile or something. And also have slightly better wakeup but it would still be easy to break that armor because he doesn't do an attack with it
Sounds interesting but that would basically be a parry wich he already has.
I can see a kotal player use the ex def totem in the corner but they would still get hit and lose a bar.
Ex blood totem would be almost useless because it would vanish on hit, let's say the armor would protect the totem from being destroyed, the next hit of a string would still break it.

I agree that nrs should approach a buff carefully cuz we don't want something like the infinite jacqui has (beta) lol.
If you would b122expizza and b14expizza a true blockstring he could potentially pressure you for about 20%~ish if he has a crystal totem and 3 meters and you have none.

But I'm open for ideas.

Edit: you said the totem goes away the instant he's done, nvm my rambling on the blood and def totem

mattnin

Noob
Naw, leave Kotal ALONE! I main and almost exclusively play Blood God since day 1. Yes, he has some tough matchups but nothing too terribly lopsided. They are all still winnable plus he is by far the hypest character in the game. His comebacks are sick

TKB

Noob
Sounds interesting but that would basically be a parry wich he already has.
I can see a kotal player use the ex def totem in the corner but they would still get hit and lose a bar.
Ex blood totem would be almost useless because it would vanish on hit, let's say the armor would protect the totem from being destroyed, the next hit of a string would still break it.

I agree that nrs should approach a buff carefully cuz we don't want something like the infinite jacqui has (beta) lol.
If you would b122expizza and b14expizza a true blockstring he could potentially pressure you for about 20%~ish if he has a crystal totem and 3 meters and you have none.

But I'm open for ideas.

Edit: you said the totem goes away the instant he's done, nvm my rambling on the blood and def totem
Making b122EXdisc or b14EXdisc a true block string would be seriously stupid. Kotal is fine how he is. Blood God serves its purpose well; really good in some matchups.

IMO Kotal embodies everything they wanted to achieve with the variation system. Each variation covers the other's weaknesses extremely well. He's easily one of the most well rounded characters.

Xx-TGODPRINCE-Xx

New Patch!!!
I've been playing Kotal Khan for awhile now and he's been my favorite Character in MkX since launch. I know that Kotal has received some buffs in the past that has really helped his pressure game out a lot like when they changed his B1 to a mid, and a when they eliminated the gap in his (B1,2,2) string. But, I can't help but feel like Kotal's offense is still lacking and extremely punishable.

For example; Kotal's best strings: (B1,2,2) and (B1,4) are both by themselves unsafe. If you commit to these strings and they're blocked without special canceling, you will be punished. (B1,2,2) is -10 on block. I don't usually get punished by this online because of the 3-4 frames of delay that online usually has, but offline it's me eating 30+% damage every time. (B1,4) is -17 on block, and with it's 32 frames of recovery, this string easy to punish. This means I can't even finish a string starting in B1 and block to try and bait a reversal.

Special canceling B122 and B14 is also risky, because there is a gap between both strings and almost all of Kotal's specials. (Excluding [B1,2,2]*[EX-OHS]). {EXAMPLE}.
If you can make the most savages of reads, you don't even have to respect the low sword after (B1,4). Just go straight for the punish. {EXAMPLE} This means you can backdash, or reversal after EVERY string starting in B1. Even if you decide to use EX-OHS after (B1,2,2), all the opponent has to do is block it for an easy punish. It's even worse in Kotal's Blood God variation, because there is only one special worth using after any B1 string and that special is easy to beat with any fast poke or reversal.{EXAMPLE}

I know about Kotal's (1,1,4) string, but the fact that it start as high makes it easy for any character to poke out of at the start of the string. Also, it doesn't have any mix-up potential unless you're in Kotal's War God variation. This is the only string in which Kotal can safely force an opponent into a 50/50 mix-up.

What do you guys think? Is the all mighty Emperor too unsafe? Is his offense still lacking?
Really Kotal is unsafe........? Too unsafe? NO NO NO!

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
Making b122EXdisc or b14EXdisc a true block string would be seriously stupid. Kotal is fine how he is. Blood God serves its purpose well; really good in some matchups.

IMO Kotal embodies everything they wanted to achieve with the variation system. Each variation covers the other's weaknesses extremely well. He's easily one of the most well rounded characters.
Yeah I can agree with that.
Not every variation needs to do good against every variation in the game.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Parries offer kotal tons of meter fullscreen, sun ray and ex pizza since parry gives free meter and gives him a damage buff,he heals himself during sun ray, and can ex pizza since he builds soooooo much meter while sitting fullscreen.

Now if you're playing blood god....Welp, even better!His obsidian totem makes the opponent want to get in on him instead of giving him free meter and free health too.Imo kotal has pretty good tools to take down zoning.
Except for against characters with really good zoning he can't do shit against.
I understand its my limitation and not KK's. I'm just not that good with the parry and know that being unsafe isn't his problem. Anyone who thinks that he needs to be safer needs to further explore the character before speaking on the matter.

Lanqu

Noob
Well, guys. I play Kotal with my KL friend on a high level. And nothing Kotal can do except single B1. After any other string I get armored or punished by normal.
Any guessed sword mixup returns to me as -30% life and oki pressure.
Where is SAFETY?
Ok, he has good pokes. But you need to get chip+damage.
Kotal just kills himself each time commiting into any full string+mixup sword.
For other 2 variations things are getting worse.
Dont listen to guys who cant punish blocked sword or dont know gaps. Option Select on Armor just kills Kotal.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Well, guys. I play Kotal with my KL friend on a high level. And nothing Kotal can do except single B1. After any other string I get armored or punished by normal.
Any guessed sword mixup returns to me as -30% life and oki pressure.
Where is SAFETY?
Ok, he has good pokes. But you need to get chip+damage.
Kotal just kills himself each time commiting into any full string+mixup sword.
For other 2 variations things are getting worse.
Dont listen to guys who cant punish blocked sword or dont know gaps. Option Select on Armor just kills Kotal.
That's probably his hardest matchup yeah, but Kung Lao is getting nerfed anyways lol. Sun God/War God are fine

Lanqu

Noob
ok. Takeda ronin just punishes each sword with full combo as well and armors through any gap.
And seems that shit will not be fixed in any way. Disjoint hitbox on every normal and lots of plus on blocks where even d4 cant reach him.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
ok. Takeda ronin just punishes each sword with full combo as well and armors through any gap.
And seems that shit will not be fixed in any way. Disjoint hitbox on every normal and lots of plus on blocks where even d4 cant reach him.
That's ronin for you

Lanqu

Noob
NRS keep nerfing any mids into +2 though leaving ronin with his overpowered tools that half of the cast cant even poke out

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Kotal's move set seems unsafe at first. But this is because of having some of the best mids and forward advancing strings in the game, as well as crazy high damage. It's very well balanced. The only thing I want fixed is the 114 whiffing on F/T as well as on block, so stupid.

mattnin

Noob
Kotal Kahn is perfectly fine, even Blood God. Why are so many insistent on buffing Kotal into some super tier? I pray he isn't buffed because then everyone will flock to Kotal just to take advantage. I've got to say, I've been playing Kotal since the beginning, and all his variations feel about equal. I know many people feel Blood God is the worst, he isn't. His defense totem makes him safe and makes up for his lack of safe moves. All Kotal variations win based on pokes and normals. Yea, War Gods armor or Sun Gods command throw may net you some extra damage, but don't rely on them. Rely on the normals learned from playing Blood God.

LOL! With Blood God just dont use b122 if your opponent has meter and you dont and if its not a punish.
With War God you can use b122 and either cancel into ohsword to remove the gap but its unsafe, OR, cancel into sawblade and make it safe with gap.
Kotal has safe stuff like f12, 114, b32 and has a few of the best normals in the game. Making b122 safe would be stupid and everyone would just spam that string.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
All I wanted/still want is armor on EH Air Grab!

Or at least more priority, jumping kicks and some fast jumping punches still beats it out.
I know it might be asking for too much but that's all I want for him.

He has godlike range and is really fast, he isn't main to be played like a mix up char but more like footsies.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
He's pretty unsafe vs some, committing to a b122, b14 or even b12 can get you full combo punished by some characters (kung lao lol) which is a shame, specifically because 114 whiffs too much. If they bothered to fix 114, the unsafe b122 wouldn't be an issue but as it stands you gotta wait till the opponent wastes his meter before you can go further than a b1 (aside from punishes)... Kotal can be pretty much a gimmick character in some matchups, most people shit themselves too easily call him a dumb rushdown character yet don't realize he's not actually got much to him when you lab him abit. But when you meet 1% of people who know what they're doing and can punish b122 yeh, just do yourself a favour and switch to a safer character.

Last edited:

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
He's pretty unsafe vs some, committing to a b122, b14 or even b12 can get you full combo punished by some characters (kung lao lol) which is a shame, specifically because 114 whiffs too much. If they bothered to fix 114, the unsafe b122 wouldn't be an issue but as it stands you gotta wait till the opponent wastes his meter before you can go further than a b1 (aside from punishes)... Kotal can be pretty much a gimmick character in some matchups, most people shit themselves too easily call him a dumb rushdown character yet don't realize he's not actually got much to him when you lab him abit. But when you meet 1% of people who know what they're doing and can punish b122 yeh, just do yourself a favour and switch to a safer character.
This

omooba

fear the moobs
slightly agree. i believe b122 should be more safe
the fact that lao can get full combo punish for a bar every time sun god or blood god use the string is stupid