What's new

Is it really worth getting a fighting stick?

I don't play tournaments mostly with IRL friends.

Is it really worth it to get a fighting stick ?? Do you REALLY get that much of an edge with one?

Dark_Rob

Warrior
I don't play tournaments mostly with IRL friends.

Is it really worth it to get a fighting stick ?? Do you REALLY get that much of an edge with one?
Yes, its worth it if your a stick player. If your not already a stick player then you need to ask yourself "why am I getting this?"
If your looking for an edge then your looking in the wrong place. A stick will not make your game any better, in fact, initially it will make your game worse because it can take time to transition from a pad to a stick. If you dont plan to play the game at a highly competitive level then the novelty of it will quickly wear off and you will have a $150 paperweight.

If your serious about switching from pad to stick, than yes its absolutely worth it. Playing on a stick can,according to some people, give you a better level of control than a pad. But the transition isnt always easy for some people. It can take time to get used to it and your game will take a hit while your adjusting.

Although in my personal opinion for a game like MK9 it really makes no difference. Controller or stick will both work fine.

My fighting game history has been always played on a pad. Never step foot in an arcade either to play.

Can you tell me the reason why in mk9 in particular a stick will offer no advantage?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
In MK9 there really isn't any particular function you can't do on a pad. There's no real technical advantage to using a stick as compared to a pad. The game is designed with both pad and stick in mind.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Your wrists move faster than your thumbs, so your responses are technically faster on a stick than a pad. Also, with sticks, the buttons are laid out right in front of you whereas a pad's buttons are on the shoulders and the face...it's a lot easier to use 3 fingers to hit 3 buttons on a stick than to use a thumb, a finger, and awkward hand placement to hit the same amount. Not to mention, a stick's button layout generally does not need as much configuration as a pad does...for example in Street Fighter, it's not uncommon for pad players to awkwardly configure buttons based on which is used most, as opposed to where you can just shift your hand around with a stick thus removing any need for awkward layouts. Plus, you have much easier access to input techniques like plinks and piano method.

Sticks are better in those regards, but for games like MK9, these issues can be fairly minor. The block button being on the shoulder makes potential option selects involving block somewhat easier than on a stick. Also, configuring controls is a lot less troublesome for pad players since generally the default layout is perfectly designed for both pad and stick. It's generally up to preference when it comes to MK.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
Speaking as a fellow non-competitive pad player, I'd have to agree that it's pretty much a matter of pure preference - if you're used to pad, and feeling confident that you can use your mains efficiently without a stick, there's really no need to spring for a stick. I've always figured (and again, I'm not particularly educated when it comes to stick usage, so I could be totally mistaken) that stick preference just stems from growing up around arcades and thus being far more comfortable with them, whereas people who grew up with console ports are generally just used to pad by now. Techniques/inputs that are indeed far easier with a stick are few and far between - the only examples that I can think of off the top of my head are rapid inputs ala Hundred Hand Slap/Lightning Legs, and stuff like Taskmaster's arrow super in MvC3 where effects differ based on which two buttons you hit. MK's inputs have always been very pad-friendly though and MK9's looking like no exception, so I'd say just stick with pad for now if you're unsure.

DrDogg

Noob
I play competitively... but I also switch between pad and stick. I use stick for every fighting game except Tekken (which happens to be my main fighter). But I don't know the pad like you normally would when I'm playing Tekken. I hold my right hand over the pad like I would if I were playing on a stick.

For MK, I have yet to decide how I want to play. Without an MK stick, the placement of the block button just feels awkward on my normal stick. I have no problems using a block button in Soul Calibur, but when playing the MK demo, nothing felt comfortable. At this point, MK9 is not an input heavy game, so I'll probably be able to switch back and forth with ease.

$0.02

DanCock

Cock Master!!
it depends on the person.. every one has said it, you can play on both, it gives advantages to certain people and disadvantages to certain people..

like myself on a pad i cant perform mileenas instant air fireball fast enough so it looks like im not even doing it.. on a stick im able to perform it instantly the moment she gets off the ground. im able to tap forward faster on stick then pad..

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Depends dude, if you're open to the idea then you may surprise yourself. If you're strickly a pad player, you're probably better off not wasting the money on the stick and just finding a good pad.

There's really pros and cons to both depending on what you're used to.

Dark_Rob

Warrior
My fighting game history has been always played on a pad. Never step foot in an arcade either to play.

Can you tell me the reason why in mk9 in particular a stick will offer no advantage?
Sorry, I fell alseep. However if i didnt and instead anwsered you it would have looked like......

In MK9 there really isn't any particular function you can't do on a pad. There's no real technical advantage to using a stick as compared to a pad. The game is designed with both pad and stick in mind.
This^^.......
Your wrists move faster than your thumbs, so your responses are technically faster on a stick than a pad. Also, with sticks, the buttons are laid out right in front of you whereas a pad's buttons are on the shoulders and the face...it's a lot easier to use 3 fingers to hit 3 buttons on a stick than to use a thumb, a finger, and awkward hand placement to hit the same amount. Not to mention, a stick's button layout generally does not need as much configuration as a pad does...for example in Street Fighter, it's not uncommon for pad players to awkwardly configure buttons based on which is used most, as opposed to where you can just shift your hand around with a stick thus removing any need for awkward layouts. Plus, you have much easier access to input techniques like plinks and piano method.

Sticks are better in those regards, but for games like MK9, these issues can be fairly minor. The block button being on the shoulder makes potential option selects involving block somewhat easier than on a stick. Also, configuring controls is a lot less troublesome for pad players since generally the default layout is perfectly designed for both pad and stick. It's generally up to preference when it comes to MK.
and this^^

MK9 was most likely built with a pad in mind, much like MKDC. However this time around,especially without the 3d movement button, they made sure it works on a stick.
Il be playing MK9 on a stick because I play all fighting games on a stick, not because Im getting some bonus or edge only bestowed upon stick users. Its just what Im used to.
While it is true some games definitely play better on a stick, Mortal Kombat is not one of them. It really makes no difference for this game. So if you want an arcade stick, be really sure that you want to switch over to one. Because your not going to get any magic stick powers by using one.

My advice harvester is to stay with the pad. Its what your most comfortable with and what your most used to. $150 is alot of money for something that a week later you may decide isnt as cool as you thought it would be.

Didn't want to start a new topic for such a random, and somewhat insignificant question, but does anyone know if the final build will allow both punches to be mapped to a single button? I find it very awkward to hit 1+2 (square+triangle) with any consistency, especially mid combo. I know the demo was an early build with obvious limited options and but it worries me a little that I couldn't customize that particular set. I thought about switching the button layout to make both kicks and punches vertical and not horizontal but it didn't feel right and it would be a pain trying to read combo scripts with a changed layout. Did anyone happen to catch this at PAX, or even some likely guesses as to wether or not we will be able to map certain button combinations besides the Throw and Stance Flip? Thanks in advance for any info.

Don't see how changing layouts will impact reading since you can just re-condition yourself to imaging 1,2,3,4 on your new layout and read it like that. Otherwise a FP is sitll a FP.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Stick rules, that shit brought me back to childhood. But i still think that everyone should use whatever they feel fits best for them.

Don't see how changing layouts will impact reading since you can just re-condition yourself to imaging 1,2,3,4 on your new layout and read it like that. Otherwise a FP is sitll a FP.
Well I wanted to avoid that since I like the new layout and I've been using/practicing on it for a few weeks now. I know it was a long shot but I was hoping someone who played at PAX might have noticed this small detail. Not a huge deal, thanks anyway though.

MKK hanzo

Stick rules, that shit brought me back to childhood. But i still think that everyone should use whatever they feel fits best for them.
Off topic: AC I stoled your sig, hope its ok with ya! ;)

On topic: There are natural advantages to every tipe of controller but again, you shpuld play on what you feel better.

Exia 00

mufuckin uhh
I play stick for pretty much every other fighting game. I just feel more comfortable on pad for this one.

Yea I just kind of assume that it won't make much difference considering they made it specifally for the controller. But I might buy it down the road if I can find some tournies to play in

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
I don't believe this game was made specifically for the controller. You do have some shortcuts on the trigger buttons but that's it.

I just got my stick. This stick definitely makes playing MK9 a lot more convenient. The advantage comes with how the stick and buttons are. It springs back to neutral pretty quick so if you've ever had a problem dashing or doing whatever in other games with Japanese manufactured parts you should have a lot less errors using this.

GitzZz

Noob
I got the stick and ive switched back and forth for a few days. I can hit my combos 100% with my ps3 pad but i cant even do a simple pop-up-dash-juggle with the stick. I dont think ill ever use it again after today sucks because it looks sooo nice!

I got the stick and ive switched back and forth for a few days. I can hit my combos 100% with my ps3 pad but i cant even do a simple pop-up-dash-juggle with the stick. I dont think ill ever use it again after today sucks because it looks sooo nice!
If you are a pad user for any substantial amount of time then you naturally build up muscle memory and become accustomed to playing the game a certain way.

While you may know how moves work and their motions but never used a stick before. Due to that lack of muscle memory (constant repetition of motion which becomes more natural to the point of second nature over a prolonged period of time)

If you never used a stick before and used pad most of your life, then simply jumping to stick is a jarring experience and something that cannot be adjusted to overnight. It can take weeks of practice just for the feel of using a stick to reach that point of just being "natural"

If you feel better suited to pad then you should stick with what you are comfortable in using. However there are some benefits to taking the time to learn stick (plinking, piano inputs, etc)

Cool. Sell it to me then.

gamer

Noob
earlier i played on pad all games but 4 now every fighting game i play on arcade stick street fighter IV tournament edition II. I am also a tournament player

chessmaster

Dojo Trainee
not for this game alone. but what i am doing is getting a stick for street fighter and i will probably use it for all my fighters. from what i hear this game works just as well with a stick as a pad. but the d-pad is horrible for other fighting games(street fighter). but if this is the only fighter you play then no.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
I play stick on every fighting game but mk. Idk it feels so natural on a pad especially a madcatz pad considering its very reminiscent of the genesis controller, which i played mk on alot.