What's new

Is it really worth getting a fighting stick?

CRKFIEND

Mortal
I don't play tournaments mostly with IRL friends.

Is it really worth it to get a fighting stick ?? Do you REALLY get that much of an edge with one?
Long story short: No you don't need the fightstick by any means. I'm 100 percent better with the controller... But the MK PDP stick does look slick as hell. I'd be willing to argue to the death that the controller (the ps3 one) works just as well as the fightstick for MK9

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I use the PS3 controller, as do a few of the tournament scene players. Tom Brady, for instance. If you're on 360...I would consider a stick or a Madcatz controller since that dpad is crap.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Oh I see. So what kind of moves make sticks better then and for which fighting games?
Stick is better when diagonal directions such as UF, UB, DB, DF. In games such as SF, diagonals are used frequently in Quarter-Circle-Foward, Double-Quarter-Circle-Forward, 360 and 720 rotation moves. In MK9, you will use diagonals during instant air moves, such as Mileena's air sai, Liu Kang's air fireball, by performing UB, F, FP. You'll have to press the two diagonal buttons on pad. For me, I feel my thumb is too big and I can't consistently hit the PS3 dual shock direction pad as easilly.

I also find that I am more consistent performing any "Test Your Might" and Johnny Cage's corner combo: B+FK, dash, BP, BP, BP, BP, BP, BP, FP, FP, Nut Cracker more easilly on Stick due to the ease of multiple tapping. I feel you have to work much harder on a PS3 pad, this in turn strains your hands quickly. Plus, if you have arcade sanwa buttons your button response rate is even better.

The input of MK's special moves makes the game very good on keyboard. Probably better than pad. You can just tap the moves and dial in the combos. An eagle eye PS3 converter, designed for First Person Shooters should be able to work, you just map the buttons. The only issue is the keyboard might not be able to negative edge too many buttons.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I play on a pad, and I always have for at home games. But once I can afford it, I'll be getting a stick. It will take some getting used to, but it's more fun to play on a stick in my opinion, plus I can input commands faster and more precise. I played on the stick at a friend's house, and I loved it even though I wasn't used to it yet.

GNG Iniquity

After playing the game a bit more, I'm not opposed to getting a TE. I just don't have the money, at the moment, so that stinks.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
I use the PS3 controller, as do a few of the tournament scene players. Tom Brady, for instance. If you're on 360...I would consider a stick or a Madcatz controller since that dpad is crap.
360 players can use a PS2 controller on the Xbox 360 via a converter. Also, I strongly suggest even PS3 players use a PS2 pad to play even on the PS3. Why? 1. Dual Shock 3's are banned from Evo. So you might as well get converter for PS2 to PS3 so its never an issue. 2. If you go to a 360 tourney, their isnt a way to use a PS3 controller on a 360, but again, their is a way to use a PS2 pad on a 360.

Time to stock up on converters! :p

btw I am a huge advocate for stick but "sticK" to whatever makes you comfortable haha

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
btw I am a huge advocate for stick but "sticK" to whatever makes you comfortable haha
I completely agree with you Tim. There is just no way, stick can be worst than pad, other than lack of practice.

If a pad player can beat a stick player in "Test Your Might - Diamond level", then I say "Bring It On!!!"

But i'm having lots of fun using pad right now. Brings back old SNES MK3 memories.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
360 players can use a PS2 controller on the Xbox 360 via a converter. Also, I strongly suggest even PS3 players use a PS2 pad to play even on the PS3. Why? 1. Dual Shock 3's are banned from Evo. So you might as well get converter for PS2 to PS3 so its never an issue. 2. If you go to a 360 tourney, their isnt a way to use a PS3 controller on a 360, but again, their is a way to use a PS2 pad on a 360.

Time to stock up on converters! :p

do i REALLY have to mod my PS3 TE stick if i want to use it for 360? cause id really like to use it but i just dont trust changing any of the guts in my TE just to do that, especially when just trying to mod your joystick voids your warranty. so yeah, i dont want to be out of $130+ .

GNG Iniquity

Wish I knew someone with a stick. I'm suspecting that my game may improve a bit. I'm finding it a little difficult to perform fluently with Shang's skulls.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
Wish I knew someone with a stick. I'm suspecting that my game may improve a bit. I'm finding it a little difficult to perform fluently with Shang's skulls.
i think the biggest hurdle youll have, especially if you stick to the 8 button layout is comfortability and ease of use. even though ive found a setup that works for me, it can still be murder on your hand constantly making sure you have a finger on or near the block button while also doing your BnBs. id suggest getting the combat plex, but ONLY if all you want the stick to do is play MK or MK9. Because i myself play and use my stick for so many different fighting games its understandable why i havent switched over to one.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
do i REALLY have to mod my PS3 TE stick if i want to use it for 360? cause id really like to use it but i just dont trust changing any of the guts in my TE just to do that, especially when just trying to mod your joystick voids your warranty. so yeah, i dont want to be out of $130+ .
Either that or buy a stick for 360. The warranty for those sticks virtually means nothing when their are so many people who can fix them just as easily or even better than PDP could.

Trust me, dual modding your stick is a good thing, not bad.

GNG Iniquity

i think the biggest hurdle youll have, especially if you stick to the 8 button layout is comfortability and ease of use. even though ive found a setup that works for me, it can still be murder on your hand constantly making sure you have a finger on or near the block button while also doing your BnBs. id suggest getting the combat plex, but ONLY if all you want the stick to do is play MK or MK9. Because i myself play and use my stick for so many different fighting games its understandable why i havent switched over to one.
Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. I'm not about to buy PDP's stick, and actually put nice parts in it. I've heard they're pretty budget parts. The TE/Hori are both made with great parts (I've never owned my own stick, I don't know what I'm doing, yet.)

The button layout with an 8 button stick does look extremely uncomfortable though, but yes, I think it's silly to spend $130 on a stick for one game. Well, two, if I take up MK3 as well.

Dark_Rob

Warrior
Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. I'm not about to buy PDP's stick, and actually put nice parts in it. I've heard they're pretty budget parts. The TE/Hori are both made with great parts (I've never owned my own stick, I don't know what I'm doing, yet.)

The button layout with an 8 button stick does look extremely uncomfortable though, but yes, I think it's silly to spend $130 on a stick for one game. Well, two, if I take up MK3 as well.
What you could do if you like the MK layout but dont want a seperate stick for it is buy the Madcatz combat panel for your regular T.E. But get an extra set of buttons and an extra JLF to. Have both panels be pre mounted. then all you have to do is switch the panels and the wires to go between MK and capcom style layouts. Should only take about 5 min. to switch if the buttons and stick are premounted. Just a thought.

GNG Iniquity

What you could do if you like the MK layout but dont want a seperate stick for it is buy the Madcatz combat panel for your regular T.E. But get an extra set of buttons and an extra JLF to. Have both panels be pre mounted. then all you have to do is switch the panels and the wires to go between MK and capcom style layouts. Should only take about 5 min. to switch if the buttons and stick are premounted. Just a thought.
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that in the future, unfortunately I can't afford a stick at the moment. I do think actually being able to feel my combos will help, though. My thumb also seems like it's letting me down lately. I have no doubt that I can perform everything much more fluently with my wrist.

Of course, then there's the whole gate thing, but I think I'll just see if a square gate is uncomfortable for me; I think it should be fine though. Or I can adjust to it.