What's new

Is it best to have 1 main or play a handful of chars?

Is it best to stick to 1 char or play a handful?

• Stick to 1

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Atleast 2

Votes: 32 76.2%

• Total voters

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You should only use one character in fighting games. That way you're experienced with every matchup without having to switch. Even if the character you like isn't "good", you'll still get very good at the game quicker than players who are always changing characters. It is good to have one other character though for variety, and so you don't have to worry about constant mirror matches.
Having one main and one backup is the best strategy for fighting games especially Tekken since there's so many moves and things to learn. It's easier to learn more characters in MK, but muscle memory is still important.
When I play I don't have to think about anything other than out playing the other guy. Every combo and movement comes natural. I always destroy the players that have several hundred matches with 5 or 6 different characters, but the players that use one are difficult to beat.
Off topic: but this is why MMA fighters have no foundation, and get their asses handed to them in boxing and sometimes K1. They try to learn so much shit, half of which is unimportant, that they can't setup and throw a proper punch.

TLDR: Call a plumber to fix your sink, not a carpenter that knows a thing or two about plumbing. Sticking to one or two characters that you like is funner and better for muscle memory. Less is more.
I'm reading this and I know you're right, and I know I need to make a decision between Kano and Shao but I can't D:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Depends if you play competitively.

They way to do it would to know your main characters bad match ups. Then learn a counter pick for those specific match ups.

If you just play at home and want to master 1 character then do it.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I would say it just depends how good you are with your main. If you're comfortable enough for all MUs with 1 character, let it rock.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
That's a good point, but Shao Quad tho <3
As the formal ambassador of casual Kahns everywhere, i’ll allow 3 just this once because I like you. Then 4 once Arnold comes out. And then 5 when Sindel comes out. And then 6 when spawn comes out. But no more!