What's new

Is it best to have 1 main or play a handful of chars?

Is it best to stick to 1 char or play a handful?

• Stick to 1

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Atleast 2

Votes: 32 76.2%

• Total voters

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
As someone who has jumped from char to char I'm a little envious of players who were loyal to 1 character since release. Its good to know more than 1 character obviously but some players seem to perform better when they legit know everything about the character they're playing with. This game seems easier to pick up than any other nrs game so knowing more than 1 char doesn't sedm all that impressive anymore. I kinda wish I stayed with Kitana since release, I just got googly eyes for other cool chars like Skarlet, Jade, Cetrion ect.

How the hell is this a yes or no question.
To play a fighting game well you need to know what your opponent can do. So, IMO, trying out and getting familiar with more characters than your main is a great idea.
I mean, you could learn it by labbing or just in practice, but I think it's important to get a feel for yourself.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
How the hell is this a yes or no question.
To play a fighting game well you need to know what your opponent can do. So, IMO, trying out and getting familiar with more characters than your main is a great idea.
I mean, you could learn it by labbing or just in practice, but I think it's important to get a feel for yourself.
Well ofcourse its good to know your opponents buttons, i'm pretty sure I said that. I meant mastering 1 character like they're an extension of your arm vs playing 5 chars but not mastering 1.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I think, 90% of the time, better to learn how to use a few characters effectively. The more diverse their playstyles, the more well rounded you'll be as a player. At launch i was maining Kabal and Skarlet, for Rushdown and Zoning styles. Now i main Shang and Skarlet and putting practice in as Geras or Liu in case i need them. I've also spent a bit of time playing Sub, Scorpion, Noob, Sonya, Kano and Erron so i don't get bored offline.

So my answer is, learn at least 2 characters well ( mastery is a dirty word) and a few more characters at least to the point you can do their good combos consistently. And OP, please fix your poll questions lol
" Do you prefer to be a jack of all trades or a master of one, yes or no" is essentially how it's worded atm

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
I think, 90% of the time, better to learn how to use a few characters effectively. The more diverse their playstyles, the more well rounded you'll be as a player. At launch i was maining Kabal and Skarlet, for Rushdown and Zoning styles. Now i main Shang and Skarlet and putting practice in as Geras or Liu in case i need them. I've also spent a bit of time playing Sub, Scorpion, Noob, Sonya, Kano and Erron so i don't get bored offline.

So my answer is, learn at least 2 characters well ( mastery is a dirty word) and a few more characters at least to the point you can do their good combos consistently. And OP, please fix your poll questions lol
" Do you prefer to be a jack of all trades or a master of one, yes or no" is essentially how it's worded atm
Ugh how would you word it then, idk

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
As someone who has jumped from char to char I'm a little envious of players who were loyal to 1 character since release. Its good to know more than 1 character obviously but some players seem to perform better when they legit know everything about the character they're playing with. This game seems easier to pick up than any other nrs game so knowing more than 1 char doesn't sedm all that impressive anymore. I kinda wish I stayed with Kitana since release, I just got googly eyes for other cool chars like Skarlet, Jade, Cetrion ect.
Lab them all for matchup and so that you can potentially pick someone else.
I can tell you that being loyal to a shit-tier character isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Knowing every character on a basic level makes you better at fighting them, too.

Being a loyalist then, is a personal choice.
I, for one, will take a break from MK until I see Jade get some love.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
If you could win every matchup with 1 char, sure, but in this game HELL NO

Except if you play Geras. Or Liu Kang. Or Cetrion. Or Sonya.

For me there's usually 1 character I main that's just whichever character, but then 1 or 2 other characters that I still us a lot but not nearly as much as the first 1. In this game it's 70% Cassie, 30% scarlet.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I would have selected 3-5 but the option wasn't there. Its important to understand your character fundamentally but that can be done using several characters. Its just more work to pick up more than one character.
I main several characters and it has suited me well. I learn the characters moves, basics, staggers, mix, punishers, counters and MU's vs the entire cast(usually start with the top 10 MU's).
There are benefits to both options but I find it easier to counter specific characters by learning them fundamentally. It teaches me thier game plan, how they initiate offense and how they counter others.

Look at Sonic, he uses many characters and is very successful.
But I think loyalists can be effective its just that this meta is very counter heavy. Certain characters can shut down certain playstyle so some MU's might be very difficult.
FOr me to main one character only I'd have to have a character that has everything, pokes, staggers, frame traps, range, close up tools, zoning, gap closers and great dash and walk speed as well as nice combos And Damage and restands to top it all off.

Personally I think it's easier to use several characters. I use:
Nightwolf
Shang
Cassie Yaas Queen
Kotal both vars

And for specific matchups I use:
Sub Zero
Jax
Scarlet
Jade
Liu Kang Wu Shi Legend

Know how to use all these characters feels like its easier to play vs them and the entire cast. For example I hate using Cassie vs Shang but don't mind using Liu Kang vs Shang.

Espio

Kokomo
Even though people will insist on playing a bunch of characters it really shows who focuses and who does not when you play people with some exceptions existing. All I play is Baraka and Jade at a level that I'd use them against anyone. Quality over quantity is the rule. My Erron, Nightwolf, Cassie, and Sonya are painfully inadequate. You don't have the comfort and precision when you're hopping around everywhere.

Last edited:
You want to compete or something? the whole point is to have fun. In mkx I could play cyber sub forever and have a blast every time, now in Mk11 after some games I just wanna use another character. So do whatever you want.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I think it's just a personal preference thing. Some people are extremely successful sticking to a single character while others like to have other options. I, personally, like to have 4 or 5 characters in my repertoire to not only keep myself interested but to always have another option in match-ups

Slymind

Noob
Im a loyalist, i tend to stick with a character even in the roughest matchups. However its good to check other characters so you know better what you are up against.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I think in games where zoning is a legit playstyle it's sort of handy to have backups if your main struggles with zoning. The reason character loyalism is sort of viable in Tekken has to do with how everyone plays the same game. There is no 'zoning' perse, you're not gonna win games by just throwing projectile blasts with Geese or Akuma. Everyone plays a movement focused game and are differentiated through rushdown, footsies and mixups.

Typically in NRS games you need to have backups. There are some exceptions where characters are super versatile like Batman was in Inj2. Dude had zoning, grabble hook for counter zoning etc. He had tools to deal with matchups where he would be the one with inferior keep away. Someone has annoying wakeups? End in restands. Someone has better buttons in Neutral? Use mechanical bats to cover your approach etc.

If you play Cassie, Kabal, Cetrion n shit you're pretty good to go I think.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
For a casual I’d say 1. I’m a casual (mk fan since day 1 but skill wise) and I have never mained a character until mk11. I’d just float around and half ass every character I felt like playing. I have never been better at mk than I am now. Focusing on one character really forced me to learn the game opposed to the character. I think it’s a great thing for casuals to focus on one until you know that character like the back of your hand and making them work in the universal mechanics. Once you do that you move on to other characters.

I personally haven’t moved on yet. I have been playing one character for 4 months and I’m still having fun. I’m surprised I haven’t gotten bored yet actually.

ManiacFGC

Button Masher Extraordinaire
Honestly 2 characters should be enough to get W's. Always want to choose two characters that compliment each other well, like Baraka and Skarlet. One is an in you face, ranged rushdown character with relatively good fire balls and the other is purely zoning with good normals and ways to frustrate your opponent.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
For me I'll usually try to have one that I know the ins and out and another I can at least play at an ok level. Tho in MK11 I'm trying to play a secondary more so there's that

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Being loyal will be better in the long run, but if you do that you need to lab against them or play the MU a lot. If you can't stick with one main, then at least try out every character for a few days so you get a general idea of their gameplan.

In any other game, I would say just stick with 1, but in this game, since it's very easy to learn characters, 2-3 is not bad either. I played Cassie since day 1, and I have allocated a lot of time towards Kano as well and it shows when I play Cassie. I have trouble with hit confirms with both characters because I switch back and forth so often.

Best case scenario: play 1. If you have bored and losing interest, try to stick it out. If you can't, play another character but just make sure to also still lab or practice your first main.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
learning all of your matchups, good and terribly bad, is important to your understanding of a character. If you've labbed it out as much as you can and feel your character doesn't have answers, then find a character that compliments what your character is missing. I think so many people give up the moment they run into a said bad matchup without labbing it out and they jump ship, forever being in a character crisis. Not every character path is easy, in the end some of the hardest characters to play end up being some of the absolute best.

It all depends on how patient you are with learning matchups honestly. The popular voice isn't always the right one.

You should only use one character in fighting games. That way you're experienced with every matchup without having to switch. Even if the character you like isn't "good", you'll still get very good at the game quicker than players who are always changing characters. It is good to have one other character though for variety, and so you don't have to worry about constant mirror matches.
Having one main and one backup is the best strategy for fighting games especially Tekken since there's so many moves and things to learn. It's easier to learn more characters in MK, but muscle memory is still important.
When I play I don't have to think about anything other than out playing the other guy. Every combo and movement comes natural. I always destroy the players that have several hundred matches with 5 or 6 different characters, but the players that use one are difficult to beat.
Off topic: but this is why MMA fighters have no foundation, and get their asses handed to them in boxing and sometimes K1. They try to learn so much shit, half of which is unimportant, that they can't setup and throw a proper punch.

TLDR: Call a plumber to fix your sink, not a carpenter that knows a thing or two about plumbing. Sticking to one or two characters that you like is funner and better for muscle memory. Less is more.