What's new

Question - Goro Is Goro just really simplistic?

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I find myself playing Goro pretty regularly, and most of my battles seem to be involving some basic string + punchwalk or b1,2 u2 into a combo, or a b3 into a combo. Countering slower projectiles with telestomp. Is there really much more to him? I've fought a couple of other Goro's and we all seem to play pretty much the same simplistic way. Yet most other characters are flying around the screen doing elaborate combos, am I just playing him wrong or is that not really how Goro rolls?

Espio

Kokomo
I've played Cassie, Sonya, Cage, Kitana and Goro and I don't see what's hard or overly complicated with any character really.

If you understand how a character is meant to be played (footsies, rushdown, zoning, frame traps or whatever), it's usually not overly complicated.

What I would like to see is more footsies because his range and whiff punish ability is actually pretty good, just a matter of learning your spacing on attacks. Punch walk is his main launcher so of course you're going to use it a lot. Just like Johnny Cage's main combo starter is forward 2,4 so you'll see it a lot.

No mention of the command grab etc? Goro's meta is pretty interesting in my opinion as he can punish you for blocking too much or not blocking enough.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
goro is a character that NRS will never get right

that said, no. you have to consider tick throws, footsies, counterpoking, variations, whiff punishing, when to armor, using his stomp properly, and remembering that you should always do a brutality on Kung Jin

anyone who thinks he's just punchwalk has no clue what he is

regulas

Your Emporer
I think that it's just some of his basic gameplay is so effective goro players often just don't even need to bother with doing more.

A few things that Goro's could but don't do:

in almost every vid I've seen I've almost never seen people using Command Grab more then sparingly (even worse they use regular throw often), when it should actually be a very regularly used move and is one of his main mix-ups.

Similarly Punchwalk often "works anyway" so people don't bother too much with some other footsie hits or options, when against players who learn to deal with Punchwalk these could be useful options.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Yeah simple and viable strategy. Nothing flashy but get the job done. Command grab or punchwalk. Pokes etc.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Well I already seem to be doing most of that, footsies, counterpoking, when to armor, so I guess that's pretty much it. Thanks for the input people =)

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
f3 is the gospel

goro's spacing is awesome because how tf you gonna deal with a gigantic fucking leg smacking you in the chest from 1/3rd screen

he's got a gameplan that's not 50/50s or mixups, which I guess can make him more simple looking or honest

Why is the command grab better than the normal grab? (other than making it a combo ender) I've tried to poke then command grab but it just whiffs. So what makes it more useful?

Espio

Kokomo
Why is the command grab better than the normal grab? (other than making it a combo ender) I've tried to poke then command grab but it just whiffs. So what makes it more useful?
If it whiffed it's because the opponent didn't block after your down poke tick throw. People refuse to block a lot for some reason, which is odd.

Both grabs are VERY good for different reasons.

Regular grabs are a 50/50 guess on how to tech and you have to let go of block to even attempt to tech and it does 12% damage. You can also pick the direction of throws.

Command grab is several frames faster than regular throws and does 2% more damage (14%) so you can punish more things on block with command grab and it cannot be teched. Ex does nearly 20% (19%).

Both should be used because grabs are very good in general.

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Like Doomsday, there's nothing wrong with having a character that is fairly simple in their design but also effective and much more than suitable for smart players to use smartly. Which is why many foolish online warriors, paladins and online lag lords accused Doomsday players of not being able to/not knowing combos.

While in certain isolated cases it is very true, and the Doomsday player does in fact not know combos like with @Eldriken , the statement is disingenuous. Simple yet effective isn't a foreign fighting game concept, nor is anything wrong with it outside of maybe wanting variety.

In fact people should feel hashtag blessed to have a simple character. I myself struggle on a daily basis to muster the mental fortitude to play a technical enigma like Sub zero. I have to do combos into clone and mentally count the seconds in my head as to when I will be able to make another one due to the cool down. The cool down is not on a visible on screen timer, so while playing footsies, comboing and defending myself from my adversary I have to actively count seconds in my head and then calculate the timing of my combo IN TIME with when I have another Ice Clone available. I was mistaken when I thought this was a fighting game, as I didn't see anything on the back of the case that said an understanding of pre-calculus was required to play Sub Zero. But yet I do.

So be happy your gameplay amounts to punch walk grabs and pokes. Life's too short for grey hairs at such a young age.

goro is a character that NRS will never get right

that said, no. you have to consider tick throws, footsies, counterpoking, variations, whiff punishing, when to armor, using his stomp properly, and remembering that you should always do a brutality on Kung Jin

anyone who thinks he's just punchwalk has no clue what he is
That implies that goro can beat kung jin. Which we all know is a boldface lie.

Unrelated, the ability to count to two is not pre calculus.

pretty much. he has good specials and thats really it. Hes slow as hell, cant really aa for shit, has a huge hitbox and his combos are really not much of a threat compared to the rest of the cast.

Hey does anyone else have problems consistently landing the b2 f3 punch walk? I can do it just hard to do consistantly, especially in a player match. I either don't time the f3 perfectly for the punchwalk to land, or the punch walk will sometimes just not come out.. Any tips or advice? Or another good ranged bnb with a decent starter?