What's new

Is Gamestop a good job?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I actually have never worked there, but I have observed some questionable business practices where employees were allowed to open up new games, play them, and still sell them like new to consumers...this was done when I went to buy Teen Titans on gamecumbe as a teen it was in new wraping paper, but when I opened it there were cheeto crumbs in the plastic..(wtf).

I haven't been shopping at any Gamestop since then, coupled with the story always smelling putrid and musty for no reason...and seemingly questionable views of many employees there, who don't even like the place.
Was it a chick that played it? (only girls like "cheesy" stuff)

Yea, the employees that work at EB games look like they want to yell at you. Well they look pretty mad. I remember there being this one nice chick. She'd always talk about Kingdom Hearts with me. It was cool.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Gamestop....ew

LOL tbh with you its a good job the only 2 bad things about it are the pay and the customers, but thats with every retail job really. The whole reserve and sub % you need to keep your job is kinda annoying but tbh some managers aren't as strict so I thank God I have a good manager. You might get some asshole and just end up hating it in general.

The best part about gamestop is the flexible hours. Its so flexible I love it that much lol!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I asked for people that work or worked there in the original post lol and I don't wanna just walk in there and ask if it sucks or not

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
you better damn well ask if it's going to mean quiting a job you already have just to get some job you'll hate doing.

besides,you can word it very nicely,how are the working conditions,how do you get treated,try to connect with someone who looks friendly and get intel on le bitch manager

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Just stick with the grocery store, man. Get in good with the manager. If it's a local place and you leave on good terms the manager may still give you a discount on groceries (I lucked out on that). Hell, keeping that job a few hours a week, in pursuit of another job is more use to you with the discounts on the groceries realistically lol

Matix218

Get over here!
I know gamestop gets a lot of hate but my local one is actually not bad and the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable so I still shop there regularly.

I asked for people that work or worked there in the original post lol and I don't wanna just walk in there and ask if it sucks or not

I worked at Gamestop for two years. I only got 3 hours a week at minimum wage. Assist Mangers (Senior Game Advisers they call them) get MAYBE part time hours at around 8 an hour. It's a good second job considering the employee benefits are really awesome. I miss it, but I need money so I had to quit and get a full time job.

H2O FARMER

Crazy 88 king
Damn there's some shitty gamestops out there. My local gs is awesome. I'm not sure what the deal is with mine but it must have a kick ass manager or something, I haven't seen a staff change in at least 2 years. Its been the same group of cool ass dudes for ages now.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I worked at Gamestop for two years. I only got 3 hours a week at minimum wage. Assist Mangers (Senior Game Advisers they call them) get MAYBE part time hours at around 8 an hour. It's a good second job considering the employee benefits are really awesome. I miss it, but I need money so I had to quit and get a full time job.
Which one did you work at? I applied at the one in the mall. Some really overweight immature manager with bad hygiene who quoted Carlos Mencia's "DUH DA DUHH!" during the actual interview. I wanted to bitch slap the guy...the assistant manager was a cool guy though but man...I would go nuts working under someone like that lol

Damn there's some shitty gamestops out there. My local gs is awesome. I'm not sure what the deal is with mine but it must have a kick ass manager or something, I haven't seen a staff change in at least 2 years. Its been the same group of cool ass dudes for ages now.
The manager really makes or breaks the store. Gamestop still fucking sucks, but if the manager's cool, then at least the staff is happy and won't feel like they have to pester the hell out of you to sell those games and 'offer' their bad suggestions.

Enenra

Go to hell.
My local gamestop has this latino chick working the front desk and she is nice as fuck, easy on the eyes, and doesn't push on you to buy things. I have only good experiences as a customer there

Briyen

Noob
I have an interview this afternoon and I was just wondering if anyone works or worked there and what its like. I've heard they don't care about their employees but I've also heard its the best job when you're in college. Anyone?

DONT, you wont get much hours, they overhire, only kool thing is borrowing games for free, pretty much you sort sort sort sort sort sort sort games, all day

hope you know your ABCs

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Went to pick up my copy of sfxt at midnight. Paid off the reserve during the day so I WOULDN'T have to bother with it that night. I wait in the cold for 20-30 minutes. They do this weird ass system where only 2-3 people are allowed in the store at a time(first time they did this shit at this location). I had to get a "finalized receipt" and then dude passing games out tells me I had to go to the back of the line. "What?" - "You just paid for it, so you need to go to the back of the line". I tell him I paid for it at 2 pm and he gives me the wrong version of the game. I was kinda pissed, cuz' obviously I had been waiting in the fucking line if there were more people behind me. If I do shop at GS, I always buy new, just to stick it to them. I'll be moving on to amazon/ebay for my video game needs from now on though.

Saint

Noob
I live in Sweden and worked there for 6 months. It was one of the best jobs I've had no doubt

Each Game Stop is owned individually so how much they care for their employees has to differ, personally I knew the owner and had a blast

You have nothing to lose, take the job, if it sucks, quit

Edit: If I wasn't off to school I'd keep the job!

Tim Static

Adminerator
My Gamestop was awesome too, but its still Gamestop.

Again, support locally owned businesses. Ive been getting games 3-4 days early for over a decade now when it comes to new releases LOL

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
just like any other store where sales is their main focus, they know about games but they want you to buy warranty's, strategy guides, collectors editions ect. Which isn't always a bad thing. Hell the warranty for that silver xbox controller has saved me some money, I'm on #4 right now because of the easily breakable d pad. But I like the way it feels.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I actually almost had a GS job, until the manager who was going to hire me got busted for stealing 360's lol...when that happened I was like, ok that's a sign moving on lol. I have a few friends who worked or work at GS, says it's "ok" job, I used to work at FYE, probably similar from what I hear.

Spletty

Grandmaster
I actually almost had a GS job, until the manager who was going to hire me got busted for stealing 360's lol...when that happened I was like, ok that's a sign moving on lol. I have a few friends who worked or work at GS, says it's "ok" job, I used to work at FYE, probably similar from what I hear.
I love FYE. All time favorite store.

The interview went well and she actually told me if I got hired that id better keep the grocery store job. And she's looking for managerial positions to be filled which would be awesome. If I get a call ill try it out and see how it is. Thanks for the info everyone.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I love FYE. All time favorite store.

The interview went well and she actually told me if I got hired that id better keep the grocery store job. And she's looking for managerial positions to be filled which would be awesome. If I get a call ill try it out and see how it is. Thanks for the info everyone.

They used to be good, but they all went out of business in the NY area(well parts of NYC anyway) and I had a stupid manager. He trained me poorly on computer cashier lol, he's like watch this 4 minute video then asked "ok are you ready to go" I'm like what? Yet, everyone else I know who had or has a cashier job told me they're supposed to have hands on training with you for at least one whole day, the guy was a dick and lazy prick.

The store itself I thought had some good deals though, until Best Buy opened lol. But yeah, dude congrats! Jobs these days are hard to get.