What's new

Is Gamestop a good job?

Spletty

Grandmaster
I have an interview this afternoon and I was just wondering if anyone works or worked there and what its like. I've heard they don't care about their employees but I've also heard its the best job when you're in college. Anyone?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

depends on the manager.
They usually don't care about you in terms of that they don't really imply strict rules. It's a fun job, you get to talk about video games, and yeah.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I've heard that some stores let employees "rent" games from the backroom, which is why some people find out that their "new games" don't have the plastic wrapping or at least not have the original wrapping.

But I've obviously never worked there, so I can't really say for sure.

Matix218

Get over here!
I think Hito still works there, Im sure he would probably be able to give you some insight on this

Spletty

Grandmaster
If the job pays you money, it's a good job. You cannot be picky in today's world.
Well I'm working at a grocery store right now too I just wanted another job and I've always wanted to work at gamestop lol then I did a little research and it sounds like half love it and half hate it. Mr. Mileena isn't it more about the sales and not so much about just video games?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

People join companies but leave managers. Keep that in mind when you get feedback as the company may be great but if the person giving you the advice is under a bad manager they may hate the job.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
It's really not about the games. It's about pushing sales and annoying the costumers to keep your 10 to 20 hours a week job. I know people who accept this and think of it just as a means of "Well, I'm okay whoring myself out to corporate for discounts on games"; so I'd think of it more like that. It's obviously not going to be your main source of income since you're not going to get over 20 hours a week outside of management, and it is annoying pressing that crap constantly, selling the magazines, etc.

I worked there for a few months, I thought it'd be awesome, but the lack of hours and pushing games that I had no interest in what so ever just made it another job. Ultimately, I'd take Tim's advice and avoid it, what they really want you to come into the interview saying is "CALL OF DUTY IS MY FAVORITE GAME! I LOVE KNOWN SALES FORMULAS FOR BRAIN DEAD CONSUMERISM WHICH STIFLES CREATIVITY AND WILL MAKE THE PERFECT STOCKING STUFFER FOR LITTLE BILLY!"

Also, it helps if you have a pair of boobs, because Gamestop likes to assume that all gamers are shy virgins and will buy any mediocre piece of crap game being promoted by a girl.

Tim Static

Adminerator
It's really not about the games. It's about pushing sales and annoying the costumers to keep your 10 to 20 hours a week job. I know people who accept this and think of it just as a means of "Well, I'm okay whoring myself out to corporate for discounts on games"; so I'd think of it more like that. It's obviously not going to be your main source of income since you're not going to get over 20 hours a week outside of management, and it is annoying pressing that crap constantly, selling the magazines, etc.

I worked there for a few months, I thought it'd be awesome, but the lack of hours and pushing games that I had no interest in what so ever just made it another job.
This.

Trust me. Find a local chain ma & pa game shop and support locally owned businesses!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
and it is annoying pressing that crap constantly, selling the magazines, etc.
They sure do this every single time, it is pretty annoying. I mean, who buys magazines anymore when there's the internet?

inb4 someone says "me!".

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
They sure do this every single time, it is pretty annoying. I mean, who buys magazines anymore when there's the internet?

inb4 someone says "me!".
I don't even go into Gamestop anymore. Target has some pretty decent deals here and there, as does Toys R Us. Outside of that there's Amazon and various other means via internet. Sadly the local game store here is about on par with gamestop, and they wonder why they're bordering on the brink of closing shop on a weekly basis without making any reach to the local community. Their 'niche' is selling classic games, but make no outreach to online sales, which is where people look for said games. I think their biggest 'profit venture' is renting out their wall to wall 360 LAN centers for like $6 an hour (LOL too much) so you can sit in essentially a lawn chair and play Halo or CoD on a 17' LCDs mounted to the wall with the consoles behind the counter.

Yeah....how about some local tournaments or something to actually bring people in and want to support your business? I wish I had the start up capital to actually start a gaming store aimed towards gamers.

I don't know how it is to work there, but after my last experiences with them I've officially washed my hands of the company. If I need games I'll get them from Amazon from now on.

I do know someone who was part of a class-action suite against GameStop over unpaid wages though. Take that for what you will.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I don't even go into Gamestop anymore. Target has some pretty decent deals here and there, as does Toys R Us. Outside of that there's Amazon and various other means via internet. Sadly the local game store here is about on par with gamestop, and they wonder why they're bordering on the brink of closing shop on a weekly basis without making any reach to the local community. Their 'niche' is selling classic games, but make no outreach to online sales, which is where people look for said games. I think their biggest 'profit venture' is renting out their wall to wall 360 LAN centers for like $6 an hour (LOL too much) so you can sit in essentially a lawn chair and play Halo or CoD on a 17' LCDs mounted to the wall with the consoles behind the counter.

Yeah....how about some local tournaments or something to actually bring people in and want to support your business? I wish I had the start up capital to actually start a gaming store aimed towards gamers.
ebay.com is where you can find brand new games cheaper than anywhere else.

Espio

Kokomo
I actually have never worked there, but I have observed some questionable business practices where employees were allowed to open up new games, play them, and still sell them like new to consumers...this was done when I went to buy Teen Titans on gamecube as a teen it was in new wraping paper, but when I opened it there were cheeto crumbs in the plastic and I think the game was scratched..(wtf).

I've also seen where they open new games from their containers and put the disc behind the shelf, why would anybody want to buy new games from them if they're going to open them and mess with them? These aren't used games mind you, but new games.

I haven't been shopping at any Gamestop since then, coupled with the store always smelling putrid and musty for no reason...and seemingly questionable views of many employees there, who don't even like the place.