What's new

Is “Dark Raiden” not so dark after all?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Raiden will defend EarthRealm at all costs. He is still working with the good guys, but he's just insane.

It's strange because Liu Kang and Kitana could be the main villains, Shao Kahn could be a main villain, Raiden could be the main villain, and Khronika could be a main villain.

Everyone is varying degrees of fucked up. Who's the greater evil though lol

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Well it sounds like you guys nailed it. Makes perfect sense. Good call!

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I certainly hope they don't use the amulet as an excuse to make him evil. He's not supposed to be evil, he's supposed to be ruthless because he's fed up with everybody else's shit. That's not evil.

Having said that... the only times we ever see him with the S-F team are when he's dealing with the Netherrealm. Later on, we see regular OG Raiden hanging out with Cassie. So whether he goes dark side/rogue, or he's incapacitated, or straight up dies, I'm pretty sure he's not gonna be with S-F for very long.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Can't wait for Shao Kahn vs Dark Raiden rematch... only this time I'll be smashing his skull with the Wrath Hammer!

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Haha imagine that... there is a brink of war, Raiden is going mad. Who you gonna call? My first pick is the one misterious god of wind. While NRSs pick? Jax, Sonya and their babies.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
What do you think is going on here? I didn’t even notice this the first time I watched the trailer.

Timelines.
You can see multiple versions of the same character fight alongside or against alternate themselves in the trailer. That Raiden there is a good Raiden.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
He seems more like an anti-hero to me. When he spoke to Liu and Kitana at the end of MKX was more of a warning to them, then a call for alliegence. I'm more concerned what will happen to his character now since he's gonna be all alone. He can ally with anyone who shares his goals, but who will allign with HIM? Dark Raiden is done as a character imo, unless he submits an army or a realm or something. Or becomes a jobber, which he better just die lol

Original timeline Dark Raiden was neutral in Deception and the first two acts of Armageddon. At the Pyramid of Argus he's seen not on the side of Dark but the side of Light helping the heroes fight.

Dark Raiden looses his mind but he does gain his sanity back over time.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Original timeline Dark Raiden was neutral in Deception and the first two acts of Armageddon. At the Pyramid of Argus he's seen not on the side of Dark but the side of Light helping the heroes fight.

Dark Raiden looses his mind but he does gain his sanity back over time.
In Armageddon he helped Shao Kahn even being neutral. At the end he joins the good guys not because he regained sanity himself. Fujin and Kung Lao helped him

Lun

proud TERF!
Ok, so. Raiden's been my favorite character since the first MK game, when I was a kid and I played with my friends that I was Raiden.

And I can say this - Raiden's never been evil nor good. He's the mythological type of Greek-style god who can help humans or become wrathful at them. He doesn't have a human sense of good or evil, just like any other MK lore deity.

Sure, Raiden loves to play the role of "defender of the Earthrealm", but if things don't go his way he ends up throwing a world-destroying tantrum.

So, Dark Raiden and Raiden are.... the same thing, really.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Dark Raiden is just that, darker doesn't mean he's evil. People automatically think "dark" is evil, if that's the case then Batman is evil lol...

Even in the Old timeline, he wasn't really evil. Just pissed and only "helped" Shinnok and Kahn to keep them at bay/keep an eye on them, and was planning on betraying them anyway as he was still helping the good guys.

But honestly, he's not insane, nuts or evil. He's just tired of the bullshit and has a more vigilante Batman in BVS approach. Overkill? Perhaps, but his heart's in the right place and he just wants to protect Earthrealm, so it's simple. If you're for that, he's cool with you. If not, then you better watch your ass lol. He needs to be a badass and let loose more often honestly, the whole war with Shinnok(for like the 3rd or 4th time now) pushed him over the edge and he had enough. Can you blame him? lol

Also, the main difference is Light Raiden=more merciful and holds back way too much.
Darker Raiden=will not hold back if you fuck with him.

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
It seems pretty clear to me that Kronika is trying to recruit the “bad guys” from the current timeline with the “good guys” from the past because they all have common ground in opposing the current timeline.

So there’s a good chance the opposite will also ring true and the current good guys might end up teaming with the past bad guys just to stop Kronika’s army.

AKA shit like fucking Cassie Cage and Shang Tsung teaming up holy ffffuuuu :eek::eek::eek::eek:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I honestly had hoped Raiden would've been a lot more villainous in this game. Maybe he will be as the story progresses... there sure are hints towards it.

Lun

proud TERF!
But honestly, he's not insane, nuts or evil. He's just tired of the bullshit and has a more vigilante Batman in BVS approach.
Exactly.

Dark Raiden and Raiden are Raiden. No difference. (What's BVS tho?)

Also, is everyone here a teenager who only wants edgy "dark" characters who are too cool and emo for school?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Exactly.

Dark Raiden and Raiden are Raiden. No difference. (What's BVS tho?)

Also, is everyone here a teenager who only wants edgy "dark" characters who are too cool and emo for school?
Yep. Batman vs Superman, some hated that Batman was too cutthroat, killed criminals, killers on the street etc

Yeah who knows, I mean to me there's different kinds of dark, there's the emo, goth most of whom are posers anyway and then there's like gritty, dark not messing around type.

Lokheit

Noob
Dark Raiden has some tints of Injustice Superman. He's going full crazy mode, at first he's going to appear as just ruthless, fed up with other realms BS trying to destroy Earthtealm, convincing his SF allies to be proactive and cutting the problem before they can attack.

But at some point I think people will start going "woah woah woah, sheeeiit dude, you goin' crazy, chill FFS" and he will go like "you got a problem with this? are you a modafakin traitor? are you an enemy of earthrealm biatch? maybe I should destroy you to make an example for our enemies" and basically things will evolve into him going nuts dictator and his former allies realizing he's a problem.

Probably someone (someone important, not a generic SF grunt nobody cares about) will die because of his ruthlesness and he won't give a fak because it was for earthrealm cause.

Also I'm calling this:

First segment of story mode you destroy the Netherealm palace, then Kronika shows up, restores it, saves Liu Kang and Kitana and sends them to her weird time zone where she explains her master plan and recruits them.

Timelines.
You can see multiple versions of the same character fight alongside or against alternate themselves in the trailer. That Raiden there is a good Raiden.
Nah, that's Dark Raiden leading the plan against NR. You can see the amulet and he's later part of the assault.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
First segment of story mode you destroy the Netherealm palace, then Kronika shows up, restores it, saves Liu Kang and Kitana and sends them to her weird time zone where she explains her master plan and recruits them.
Yeah I was writing up a detailed breakdown of the trailer earlier, and this seems all but confirmed.

1. We don't see any time traveling characters or Outworld characters in the Netherrealm section.

2. We never see Dark Raiden AFTER the Netherrealm section.

3. It picks up right where MKX left off and right where MK11's prologue is going.

4. Kronika makes a huge grand entrance and proceeds to explain her motives/abilities, which she would have no reason to do if we're 2 hours into the story.

5. And if that all wasn't enough, Max said that he played a bit of Chapter 1 at a recent WB event and Jacqui was in it. And Jacqui is in this.