What's new

INJUSTICE - Use of 'Release Check' a.k.a. Negative Edge and what it means

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
It was one of the big issues in Mortal Kombat 9 and it's something that NetherRealm Studios put in place to accommodate players in Injustice. Negative Edge, for those who may not know, is defined as "wherein a special move is made easier to execute by allowing the player to execute such a move by using a joystick command followed by the release of a previously depressed pushbutton". In this video, gamingdekap demonstrates what this does after he learns some helpful advice from a friend. Dropping combos and you use a fightstick/joystick? You'll want to watch this.
Source: gamingdekap

Attachments

RocketScientist

Satellites actually...
So, as a new-to-fighting-games player who wouldn't know any difference, what is recommended? I play on PS3 with controller. Thanks.

So, as a new-to-fighting-games player who wouldn't know any difference, what is recommended? I play on PS3 with controller. Thanks.
Hm... I guess that depends on how you play. Some characters have BnBs that may really need to have that option turned off and some don't really have to. D-pad isn't a big issue, though. But, you should just play and see how often you drop a combo.

GGA Max

EXAMPLE:

I actually NEEDED to turn this off.

Hawkgirl, needed her to d1 into bf2, (cancel into wing evade). But all I was getting was d1xxdf1 (some mace throw). So turning this off allows me to execute correctly.

davidovitch

In Europe!
Although I actually used negative edge in MK9 to make certain strings into specials easier, I have turned it off for Injustice because I noticed some special cancels were not coming out right.

However I do miss it. The way I would input a string into special such as 1,1,d,f+2 would be 1,1,2,d,f and this was in some cases much easier once you get used to it.

Also:
"wherein a special move is made easier to execute by allowing the player to execute such a move by using a joystick command followed by the release of a previously depressed pushbutton" Does not seem to cover the way MK9 used negative edge. As I mentioned above, pressing a button, releasing it and THEN pressing the directional inputs will still trigger a special move (at least in strings)

Sasuga

Noob
davidovitch. Yeah I noticed it worked like that for injustice too. Very big negative edge window. I was soo sure I released certain buttons long before I inputted the final command for a special but I still got the wrong move. I'm so happy it can be turned off now!

I turned on alternative controls again to. When playing catwomen for example, and you want to punish with F1 from block, you get the cat nails or whip. Those MK controls are kind of awkward in a hold-back-to-block game, especially with the way the are dealing with inputs now.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
As a guy who didn't play any MK before 9, I really feel like they OVERDID it with the negative edge in Injustice, LOL. I find it FAR more consistent to turn it off than to leave it on. Makes stuff like d+1~DB+2 a LOT easier because I don't have to worry about a 1 input being in the buffer for 5 years.​

RoGE

Noob
Why does this feature even exist in the first place when the game has very simple inputs? This is something that hurts both casual and hardcore players.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
In a moderate form, negative edge is actually a BOON to execution in most cases. (The most basic application of negative edge is for frame-precise fireball wars i.e., say, Guile mirror, allows you to use PRESS for one Sonic Boom and then RELEASE for the next Sonic Boom, making the gap between throwing them that much more seamless + advantageous.)

It's just that Injustice's negative edge is, like, SUPER overkill. In a game where you have to buffer so much stuff years in advance, flooding the input with unwanted junk from button release is very undesirable.

And it's not really all that necessary for Injustice, anyway, because there aren't really any characters whose moves are designed around button release a la Eddie in Guilty Gear XX. If there was a puppet character in this game (hold that thought NRS), it might suddenly be a real consideration.

Inspired by this video, I turned my Release Check off yesterday. After I did the notation for most of the moves changed. So, down back 2, became down diagonal-down-back back 2. Back forward 3, became back, diagonal-down-back down diagonal-down-forward forward 3. It threw me off and it seemed like some of the moves were becoming more difficult to execute. So where I think I used to be able to just hit down and back, it seemed I was starting to need to roll my thumb and get the diagonals in for the move to go.

I wasn't really used to it and only had so much time to play, so I switched the Release Check back on. When I did though, the move notation stayed the same though with all the diagonals interspersed. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Does taking off Release Check mean you have to roll the thumb more than with it on?