What's new

Injustice: Understanding Pre Alpha Demo Stage

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Guys its grown apparent to me that not many of you understand what Pre Alpha Demo means. I cant explain how annoying it is to read people bitching about combo damage in the game so far and other nagging remarks. Thats like me making a "pre alpha" recording in a studio of a new song and someone hears it and says "HOLY SHIT THAT GUITAR @ 2:14 IS WAY TOO LOUD, THIS SONG IS BROKEN"

.........Dumb

So allow yourself some time to read the below information explaining the steps of game development and what it all entails before ever responding to CD jr and J360 reports. Be educated before you say stupid comments like "OMG ITS NOT BALANCED, CYBORG IS BROKEN!!!!!"

First playable

The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[134] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements[135]. It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[136] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[135] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[138]
Alpha

See also: Alpha release
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[138] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[139] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[138] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[139] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[137] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[138]
Code freeze

Code freeze is the stage when new code is no longer added to the game and only bugs are being corrected. Code freeze occurs three to four months before code release.[138]
Beta

See also: Beta release
Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[137][138] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[137] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.[138]
Code release

Code release is the stage when all bugs are fixed and game is ready to be shipped or submitted for console manufacturer review. This version is tested against QA test plan. First code release candidate is usually ready three to four weeks before code release.[138]
Gold master

See also: Release to manufacturing
Gold master is the final game's build that is used as a master for production of the game.[140]
Crunch time

Overtime is expected in the games industry.[141] Particularly, crunch time or crunch mode[142] is unpaid overtime requested by many companies to meet project deadlines and milestones[143] that negatively affects game developers.[144] A team missing a deadline risks the danger of having the project cancelled[145] or employees being laid off.[144] Although many companies are reducing the amount of crunch time,[141] it is still prominent in smaller companies.[146]
Many companies offer time-off, called comp time or extra paid time off after product ships to compensate for crunch time's negative effects. Some companies offer bonuses and financial rewards for successful milestone reach.[147] Sometimes on-site crunch meals are offered and delivered to the team during crunch time.[142]
The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) surveyed nearly 1,000 game developers in 2004 and produced a report to highlight the many problems caused by bad practice.[r 9]
Post-production

After the game goes gold and ships, some developers will give team members comp time (perhaps up to a week or two) to compensate for the overtime put in to complete the game, though this compensation is not standard.
Maintenance

Once a game ships, the maintenance phase for the video game begins.[148]
Games developed for video game consoles have had almost no maintenance period in the past. The shipped game would forever house as many bugs and features as when released. This was the norm for consoles since all consoles had identical or nearly identical hardware. In this case, maintenance would only occur in the case of a port, sequel, or enhanced remake that reuses a large portion of the engine and assets.
In recent times popularity of online console games has grown, and online capable video game consoles and online services such as Xbox Live for the Xbox have developed. Developers can maintain their software through downloadable patches. These changes would not have been possible in the past without the widespread availability of the Internet.
The PC development is different. Game developers try to account for majority of configurations and hardware. However, the number of possible configurations of hardware and software inevitably leads to discovery of game-breaking circumstances that the programmers and testers didn't account for.
Programmers wait for a period to get as many bug reports as possible. Once the developer thinks they've obtained enough feedback, the programmers start working on a patch. The patch may take weeks or months to develop, but it's intended to fix most accounted bugs and problems with the game that we're overlooked past code release, or in rare cases, fix unintended problems caused by previous patches. Occasionally a patch may include extra features or content or may even alter gameplay.
In the case of a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG), such as a MMORPG or MMORTS, the shipment of the game is the starting phase of maintenance.[148] Such online games are in continuous maintenance as the gameworld is continuously changed and iterated and new features are added. The maintenance staff for a popular MMOG can number in the dozens, sometimes including members of the original programming team.

AssassiN

Noob
Good explanation, a lot of people are judging too much on how the game currently looks.
People would understand a lot better and not judge if they programmed something themselves.
You'll see how many bugs there are and how much work it is to program something small, just imagine it on a scale as big as a fighting game.

The game has not yet reached alpha stage, meaning a lot of bugs and a lot of unimplemented features and what you see now is little pieces of the big picture.

Pig Of The Hut

Good explanation, a lot of people are judging too much on how the game currently looks.
People would understand a lot better and not judge if they programmed something themselves.
You'll see how many bugs there are and how much work it is to program something small, just imagine it on a scale as big as a fighting game.

The game has not yet reached alpha stage, meaning a lot of bugs and a lot of unimplemented features and what you see now is little pieces of the big picture.

The worst part about it is none of them will read this explanation above and continue to go about their ignorant ways

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
My only problem with Injustice thus far is how many cutscenes there are. Having that many breaks during the fight (and ones that last so long) is the last thing I want in a fighting game.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
My only problem with Injustice thus far is how many cutscenes there are. Having that many breaks during the fight (and ones that last so long) is the last thing I want in a fighting game.
That's what people thought about X-Rays.. I'm sure it won't be that big of a problem, especially when you konsider how fast "rounds" transition.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
That's what people thought about X-Rays.. I'm sure it won't be that big of a problem, especially when you konsider how fast "rounds" transition.
X-rays in MK9 don't last more than a few seconds (I think the lengthiest one is Stryker's). MK9 also didn't have lengthy stage transitions and breakers don't last 10 seconds.

Pig Of The Hut

But now thanx to you. We kan start tagging them on here, or linking them to this thread.
Id hug your red robotic face if I could

Come here and give papa kenshi a hug

X-rays in MK9 don't last more than a few seconds (I think the lengthiest one is Stryker's). MK9 also didn't have stage transitions and breakers don't last 10 seconds.
People are afraid of what they dont yet understand

AGAIN, this game has a SLEW of top tournament players testing it

Allow the process to commence

X-rays in MK9 don't last more than a few seconds (I think the lengthiest one is Stryker's). MK9 also didn't have lengthy stage transitions and breakers don't last 10 seconds.
I thought there was another breaker system in place along with the clash system. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Pig Of The Hut

Let me add something else

When MK9 was released April 17th 2011 it was preceded by a demo March 17th 2011

The Demo released in March 2011, month before release, was from a "BUILD" 8 months back (Sep 2010)

People exploded thinking that was the final build when in fact it was a alpha version

So....................When Injustice Demo is released understand this now and save us the crying

"THAT VERSION WILL MOST LIKELY BE FROM OCT 2012.........AS IN TODAYS VERSION"

That is to say if they follow same path as they with MK

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Good stuff, maybe now that a top player has explained it people will stop the bullshit tears over nothing

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
People are afraid of what they dont yet understand
Afraid? It has nothing to do with fear. I just think it's a dumb idea to sacrifice the flow of a fighting game with cutscenes in the name of style and OVER THE TOP OVER THE TOP. Personally, I don't care about character damage and playstyles right now because all of that is changed up until the day before the master disc is produced.

AssassiN

Noob
Let me add something else

When MK9 was released April 17th 2011 it was preceded by a demo March 17th 2011

The Demo released in March 2011, month before release, was from a "BUILD" 8 months back (Sep 2010)

People exploded thinking that was the final build when in fact it was a alpha version

So....................When Injustice Demo is released understand this now and save us the crying

"THAT VERSION WILL MOST LIKELY BE FROM OCT 2012.........AS IN TODAYS VERSION"

That is to say if they follow same path as they with MK
Has the release of a demo been confirmed yet?
I'm not really expecting a demo for the reason you described in this post.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Didn't I hear somewhere that it's coming out in April? That's 6 months... not 12 or longer ... so, it isn't in Pre-Alpha then?

Pig Of The Hut

Afraid? It has nothing to do with fear. I just think it's a dumb idea to sacrifice the flow of a fighting game with cutscenes in the name of style and OVER THE TOP OVER THE TOP. Personally, I don't care about character damage and playstyles right now because all of that is changed up until the day before the master disc is produced.
I meant it in terms of you "fear" its effect on the game

MKD had cut scenes sort of like this but again with the players testing this game it'll be worked out and swell

Pig Of The Hut

Didn't I hear somewhere that it's coming out in April? That's 6 months... not 12 or longer ... so, it isn't in Pre-Alpha then?
Excuse the following but....

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

At their office YES!! they have the alpha version but on the show floor??? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

This version is months and months old

Again i ask you to think about the MK9 demo, that wasnt current ...it was 8 months old

What you see is NOT where the game actually is at in development and there are reasons for that

aj1701

Noob
Guys its grown apparent to me that not many of you understand what Pre Alpha Demo means. I cant explain how annoying it is to read people bitching about combo damage in the game so far and other nagging remarks. Thats like me making a "pre alpha" recording in a studio of a new song and someone hears it and says "HOLY SHIT THAT GUITAR @ 2:14 IS WAY TOO LOUD, THIS SONG IS BROKEN"

.........Dumb

So allow yourself some time to read the below information explaining the steps of game development and what it all entails before ever responding to CD jr and J360 reports. Be educated before you say stupid comments like "OMG ITS NOT BALANCED, CYBORG IS BROKEN!!!!!"

First playable

The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[134] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements[135]. It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[136] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[135] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[138]
Alpha

See also: Alpha release
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[138] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[139] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[138] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[139] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[137] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release.[138]
Code freeze

Code freeze is the stage when new code is no longer added to the game and only bugs are being corrected. Code freeze occurs three to four months before code release.[138]
Beta

See also: Beta release
Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed.[137][138] This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable.[137] No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.[138]
Code release

Code release is the stage when all bugs are fixed and game is ready to be shipped or submitted for console manufacturer review. This version is tested against QA test plan. First code release candidate is usually ready three to four weeks before code release.[138]
Gold master

See also: Release to manufacturing
Gold master is the final game's build that is used as a master for production of the game.[140]
Crunch time

Overtime is expected in the games industry.[141] Particularly, crunch time or crunch mode[142] is unpaid overtime requested by many companies to meet project deadlines and milestones[143] that negatively affects game developers.[144] A team missing a deadline risks the danger of having the project cancelled[145] or employees being laid off.[144] Although many companies are reducing the amount of crunch time,[141] it is still prominent in smaller companies.[146]
Many companies offer time-off, called comp time or extra paid time off after product ships to compensate for crunch time's negative effects. Some companies offer bonuses and financial rewards for successful milestone reach.[147] Sometimes on-site crunch meals are offered and delivered to the team during crunch time.[142]
The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) surveyed nearly 1,000 game developers in 2004 and produced a report to highlight the many problems caused by bad practice.[r 9]
Post-production

After the game goes gold and ships, some developers will give team members comp time (perhaps up to a week or two) to compensate for the overtime put in to complete the game, though this compensation is not standard.
Maintenance

Once a game ships, the maintenance phase for the video game begins.[148]
Games developed for video game consoles have had almost no maintenance period in the past. The shipped game would forever house as many bugs and features as when released. This was the norm for consoles since all consoles had identical or nearly identical hardware. In this case, maintenance would only occur in the case of a port, sequel, or enhanced remake that reuses a large portion of the engine and assets.
In recent times popularity of online console games has grown, and online capable video game consoles and online services such as Xbox Live for the Xbox have developed. Developers can maintain their software through downloadable patches. These changes would not have been possible in the past without the widespread availability of the Internet.
The PC development is different. Game developers try to account for majority of configurations and hardware. However, the number of possible configurations of hardware and software inevitably leads to discovery of game-breaking circumstances that the programmers and testers didn't account for.
Programmers wait for a period to get as many bug reports as possible. Once the developer thinks they've obtained enough feedback, the programmers start working on a patch. The patch may take weeks or months to develop, but it's intended to fix most accounted bugs and problems with the game that we're overlooked past code release, or in rare cases, fix unintended problems caused by previous patches. Occasionally a patch may include extra features or content or may even alter gameplay.
In the case of a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG), such as a MMORPG or MMORTS, the shipment of the game is the starting phase of maintenance.[148] Such online games are in continuous maintenance as the gameworld is continuously changed and iterated and new features are added. The maintenance staff for a popular MMOG can number in the dozens, sometimes including members of the original programming team.
Thanks for posting this, your spot on. People don't understand how complex software is, and what you posted applies to just about all software projects, not just games.

Pig Of The Hut

Thanks for posting this, your spot on. People don't understand how complex software is, and what you posted applies to just about all software projects, not just games.
Thanks

This info in OP goes for

Movies, Music, Software, Physical Product development etc etc etc etc

I mean can anyone imagine the pre alpha version or earlier version of a George Forman Grill?

That shit would blow your house up sky high

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Excuse the following but....

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

At their office YES!! they have the alpha version but on the show floor??? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

This version is months and months old

Again i ask you to think about the MK9 demo, that wasnt current ...it was 8 months old

What you see is NOT where the game actually is at in development and there are reasons for that
Right, so what we're seeing is the just playable version or just after that and they're actually in the alpha stage since they are still considering dropping elements?

lol... just trying to get clear here. Pig y u yell at me? LOL