What's new

Injustice @ PAX East - Interview w/ Hector: A Street Fighter player's concerns

I've got to disagree with this, I bought MK9 when it came out as my first fighting game; and despite the fact that online was unavailable (thanks Anonymous) I still had weeks of fun playing the story mode, challenge tower, and offline with friends. Even the crappy online was still very entertaining and it was easy enough to at least learn the basics even if the game's later parts were difficult to master. On the other hand, when I got Street Fighter, it didn't seem to have a very good story mode and no other interesting game modes such as Challenge Tower. I still tried playing with my friends offline, but after hours of trying and using practice mode I could still not understand how to link combos and had quite a bit of difficulty using the special moves. When I eventually tried playing online, I continued to be matched up with players way outside of my skill range who understood advanced gameplay techniques which led me to quit. While SF4 may be a more balanced and tournament viable fighter, I would argue that the features on disc for MK9 make it a much more fun game in general while still having depth to it as a fighting game /endrant

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Kabal: Best Zoning and Rushdown, dont need to explain
Cyrax: 100% combos, 60% meterless
Sonya: Armored SAFE launcher
Freddy: Fullscreen Frame Traps
KL: Crazy mobility, 6 frame launcher
Jax: 100% corner combos
Rain+Cyrax: Moves that TAKE YOUR METER

But yeah, im just salty. This game is totally balanced.
You're missing Kenshi.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
IMO its a major risk to put a game on the evo stage 2 months after release

SFxT made that decision and it took the game 9 months to recover

Whose to say there may or may not be other plans for it ...mlg? ipl? PDP? etc etc

Idk

All In all imo Injustice is going places MK has been and potentially further.

BTW whose to say it couldnt be a last min addition
Maybe they'll raise the possibility of Injustice gettting MK9's spot, they'll make us choose.
Our community will divide into zealous factions and, left shattered, wither and die :(. #capcomilluminatimasterplan

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
What are Hit-Trades?
Hit-Trades are simply when the attack hitboxes of both characters collide and both get hurt. These exist since SF2 days.

In MK these are non-existent, the game gives priority to P1 first, special moves second and normal moves last when in such a scenario. In other words, it's a zero-sum situation, someone always loses the trade in MK.

SZSR

Noob

You mean Doom's tracking projectile assist, Morrigan's Soul fist that drain meter, and touch of death combos in Marvel are completely balanced too?

Okay.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
It was viable, it just didnt get a following. You have to remember SF and Marvel never really had that span of time where they put out crap competitively(3D MK).

And we are JUST getting out of that era of 3D crap so NRS still has a reputation to build back up even after MK9(Which LBSH, wasnt received well by everyone still). I think Injustice might be the game for this, which has me really excited.
Don't you ever call 3D MKs crap. Best MK games, period. You people are just way 2-dimensional.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I dunno if I'd call them the best games in the series but I did really like the 3D MK games, except for MKvsDC.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

Alot of these are debatable and the rest were inadvertent anyway though.

For example, how does Kabal have the best zoning if zone-only Kabals will get away with, what, 7 matchups? Matchups that he still wins by rushing down too I might add.

I see what you're saying, but even if one or the other were nerfed, everyone inevitably would've proceeded to bitch about how it's unfair that Liu Kang's or Sonya's zoning is just as lethal as their rushdown.

As long as everyone can come to an agreement that there will always be a top 5 in a fighting game, then we will have more freedom to address the unquestionably broken stuff, instead of toning down things the masses merely don't understand down just to avoid making the game look bad.

But of course, there's always NRS.. well, being NRS resulting in completely unforeseeable problems and we never get an answer as to why it happened and/or how they can help us help them. I still have a hard time convincing myself they deliberately made Sonya's cartwheel -3 on block. But that's another thread for another time.

Essentially, NRS isn't obliged to give a fuck about any of this, the reality is, we're still less than 1/10th of 1% of their revenue. But if I were just now getting into MK9 I'd still feel better knowing a select few characters can't punish certain things than knowing everyone will lose 3/4 of their life for getting hit with a random projectile.

coolwhip

Noob
I actually find it hilarious that Kung Lao's "crazy mobility" (which is risky) and full combo punishable 6 frame launcher are considered broken. Let's ignore that his special mid can be poked out of and his pokes are mediocre, which kinda balances things out but noooooooooo....

Also, I'd argue against "moves that take away your meter" being that broken. First of all, you're sacrificing one bar, and guess what? You're not taking that much more... It's not like you're draining all of your opponent's meter.

You can't even call Kabal's zoning and Rushdown (which I disagree with being the best in the game) broken. A bit too powerful, maybe. But not broken.

The real broken things are Cyrax's 100% combos, Quan Chi's rune trap (not saying it should go, but it breaks the rules of the game) and that kind of stuff, Jax's 100% corner combos (which doesn't happen all that often).

MK's problems are occasional inconsistency and glitchiness, more so than being broken. It's still a very fun game. And calling it more broken that Marvel is kind of a stretch.

Good morning everyone. I thank you for taking the time to view my interview with Hec. I will address a few post. Yes I am a Capcom fanboy but I respect all fighting games. I am very interested in this game. My line of questions are question I have heard asked from "pro" and "casual" players. Cd Jr is a very good friend of mine and I spoke to him prior to having this interview. I wanted to again address question from both the pro/casual player.

While I do agree the question of Harley vs Superman/Doomsday is asked all the time, I still have to ask it because its a question that hardcore comicbook fans would ask but also a casual player who is still yet undecided about purchasing this game. I'm not here to say which game is better and such. I'm here to help this game reach the casual audience because I want the game to be a hit. So while I am a Capcom fanboy I want other games to shine and have their moment as well. For the record I am not a fan of Marvel lol.

So again, I thank you for viewing my interview. This game is fun and has a lot to offer.

I wish people would stop saying "Oh this is like Mk, or its like SF or it has pokes like tekken or you cant attack in the middle of a dash like MvC" Stop comparing it to other games because its not like other games. It will be a fun great game that you should get...that is all you need to know.