What's new

Injustice | New Button Lay-Out and Things to Consider Before Judging

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
There are many other facets to a fighting game that are hard enough to learn without having to spend months just trying to get a button combination down.

You can know all the 80% combos you want and still not be able to win due to your spacing, your matchup knowledge, your ability to make reads, etc.

WHAT THE HELL IS SO BAD ABOUT SIMPLE INPUTS? It's mind boggling.

So you've had tons of practice in other games that use the same mechanic... yay for you. Seems like that would make it simpler for you to learn the inputs and combos and get right into the matchup learning, while still allowing others who haven't played that kind of thing to enjoy the game as well.

kronspik

Noob
WHAT THE HELL IS SO BAD ABOUT SIMPLE INPUTS? It's mind boggling.
There can actually be problems with ambiguity. Having simple inputs can make certain things harder to do. Like in this game, negative edge makes inputs simpler, but it has a side effect of making other, specific inputs harder. Some chars like Nightwolf are hurt by this. In addition, having simpler inputs leads to option selects which many people dislike. Option selects can remove a lot of risk from the game.

I hope most people make use of the environmental interaction factor. The fact the stage layout can change by forcing your opponent into a new area really rachets up the strategic depth of this game.

C-Sword

Noob
I can't believe some of you don't play certain fighters, just because the inputs seem a bit harder, you're missing out on great games like KOF XIII.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I can't believe some of you don't play certain fighters, just because the inputs seem a bit harder, you're missing out on great games like KOF XIII.
That's not why I don't play other fighters. I'm going to get injustice and try it out regardless of what the inputs and w/e else are.

I only play MK b/c it's the only game where I actually like the characters and can get invested in them. SF, Tekken, KOF, etc all have boring characters imo, so I don't play something that I don't think I can get invested in.

Whereas, with Injustice, I can definitely get into the characters b/c I love characters like batman, wonder woman, green lantern, etc. I'm just voicing my opinions about the different aspects of it that I don't find appealing. :)

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
There can actually be problems with ambiguity. Having simple inputs can make certain things harder to do. Like in this game, negative edge makes inputs simpler, but it has a side effect of making other, specific inputs harder. Some chars like Nightwolf are hurt by this. In addition, having simpler inputs leads to option selects which many people dislike. Option selects can remove a lot of risk from the game.
What option selects are you talking about? I'm just curious if we have the same idea here so here's an example: Subzero 2,1,2, freeze. You can input the whole sequence and if the opponent blocks the string and you already inputted the freeze, you can cancel the freeze by pressing bb or ff. Is this what you're getting at? If so, I'd hardly call that an option select, because option selects by nature have the game make the choice for you, not the player.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
That's not why I don't play other fighters. I'm going to get injustice and try it out regardless of what the inputs and w/e else are.

I only play MK b/c it's the only game where I actually like the characters and can get invested in them. SF, Tekken, KOF, etc all have boring characters imo, so I don't play something that I don't think I can get invested in.
Two things I don't like that I'm seeing.

1. The guy's review takes these subtle jabs at mortal kombat like its some retardo bad game or something. ("oh thank god its not like mortal kombat" is basically what I got from it)

2. It annoys me that people get mad at you or question you just because you haven't played every fighting game on the planet before mk9. What happened? We can't be different? Isn't this like a lesson most of us should of learned in,what, second grade? I have the same feelings dude. I don't like tekken. The system just doesn't click with me. Sue me people. Dare I say I don't like umvc3 too?

kronspik

Noob
An option select in this game would be something like d1 xx special. If the d1 hits or is blocked, it will automatically cancel into the special, if it misses, the d1 will whiff and be relatively unpunishable.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Two things I don't like that I'm seeing.

1. The guy's review takes these subtle jabs at mortal kombat like its some retardo bad game or something. ("oh thank god its not like mortal kombat" is basically what I got from it)

2. It annoys me that people get mad at you or question you just because you haven't played every fighting game on the planet before mk9. What happened? We can't be different? Isn't this like a lesson most of us should of learned in,what, second grade? I have the same feelings dude. I don't like tekken. The system just doesn't click with me. Sue me people. Dare I say I don't like umvc3 too?
1. Oh, I completely agree... apparently playing MK is like a taboo in the FGC. I honestly don't know why more people don't play it. It's relatively easy to pick up, but very hard to master. Thus, giving opportunity for anyone to play and enjoy it. And IMO it has the most interesting characters of any of the fighting games. Most just look like SF clones to me. Random males dressed in karate garb and such. But that could just be personal taste. *shrug*

2. Well, I mean, we're all sort of guilty of that... but that's to be expected. I just don't like the mentality of looking down on someone b/c they haven't played the more popular FGs, or that they don't want more complicated, awkward inputs. I have yet to see a good reason for why... 4-5 directions plus an attack button is better that 2-3 directions and an attack button.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
2. Well, I mean, we're all sort of guilty of that... but that's to be expected. I just don't like the mentality of looking down on someone b/c they haven't played the more popular FGs, or that they don't want more complicated, awkward inputs. I have yet to see a good reason for why... 4-5 directions plus an attack button is better that 2-3 directions and an attack button.
No one is looking down on people for not playing more games. People have just complained about every little thing announced in this game (back to block, "standard" special motions) , and a lot of it stems from players having only ever played MK.

The "complicated, awkward inputs" are tried and true, simple, standard motions that span dozens of games over two decades.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
No one is looking down on people for not playing more games. People have just complained about every little thing announced in this game (back to block, "standard" special motions) , and a lot of it stems from players having only ever played MK.

The "complicated, awkward inputs" are tried and true, simple, standard motions that span dozens of games over two decades.
Like I said... I'm getting the game regardless b/c it has characters that I like and I think it would be fun.

But I have a right to complain about features I don't like. Besides, I don't even think it is a "standard" special motions. The reviewer said "DB" and "DF".

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
But I have a right to complain about features I don't like.
Does that mean I have a right to complain that I love MK and the characters and think it would be fun, but I don't like a block button?

You play the game given to you and it thrives, or you don't, and it goes away. Gamers have the ability to speak VERY loudly about what they want and don't want: vote with your wallet.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Does that mean I have a right to complain that I love MK and the characters and think it would be fun, but I don't like a block button?

You play the game given to you and it thrives, or you don't, and it goes away. Gamers have the ability to speak VERY loudly about what they want and don't want: vote with your wallet.
1. Yes.

2. No, b/c I'm willing to give it a chance. But I will talk about things I don't like... and then once I've tried it, I'll see if those feelings were moot or not.

Rogue_Scrambles

Fear Burns Bright
GUYS GUYS GUYS

Lets all calm down for a second, the article doesn't confirm street fighter-esque inputs, in fact unless I read it wrong it confirms the opposite, so if you are in favor of that: hooray, if you are opposed: you play mk anyway so it shouldn't matter too much

Also mk-style layouts dont mean that the game is somehow less competetive/will be looked upon with disgust by the whole of the FG community, and other fighter-esque inputs aren't as hard or awkward as they sound, so lets all simmer down a couple of notches

Via_Negativa

Darkforge
The complaints about this really illustrate to me why a subset of this community is a complete joke.
Back to block is a good thing. The commands also aren't that much more difficult, most of you probably do them in MK anyway because rolling D commands is just more natural.

Boon is a fan of tekken? Good, might explain why mk9 actually play's almost like 2D version of Tekken.
Crossing fingers this is just a test to see if they can implement back to block in the next Mk as well. (keep rest the same as mk9) Would make my life a hell of a lot easier with stick play for MK as well a opening up the franchise to ambiguous crossup's and such. A button for block really is not needed. hell tekken is a 3d game and uses back.

Lets hope NRS don't listen to the "ZOMG it's too hard retards."

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
This sounds great, for those wondering the Drive moves aka the character specific moves weren't much different from your other buttons. It just simply activated the equivalent of a pseudo special move. I played Tager in BB and his Drive move was his magnetic fist attacks. Crouch, jumping and standing changed it a slight bit but for the most part. Basically if he touched you with his Drive move it magnetized your opponent making you able to pull them back in with certain moves. Other more unique characters like Carl used their Drive to control an entirely separate character that was a puppet. So you could move it around, make it block moves, release it while inputting motions to make the puppet attack, etc. This drive similarity has potential if it works anything like BB. This is great news to me. I'm guessing Flashes unique move speeds him up while doing different actions.