What's new

Injustice 2 DLC Theory: Did MKX Hint at Johnny cage and not Raiden as DLC?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
This, so much. I miss the days when the MK team (now known as NRS) would make MK games exclusively. There is so much cool stuff in the MK universe they could be doing instead of Injustice. The MK spin-off games they did make, such as MK: Shao Lin Monks, MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero, and MK: Special Forces were pretty darn good (except Special Forces). Imagine MK Mythologies: Johny Cage, Kitana, Ermac, etc. Or an MK RPG game, or an MMO, or a Civilization style strategy game. Why not?!

Or heck, even a hack and slash, Dark Souls/Bayonetta type of a game with Kenshi. That would be epic. I am imagining it right now and I am getting goose bumps. Another idea: personally, I would love a martial arts adventure game starring Bo Rai Cho, or another one of my favorite ideas, an expanded version of Chess Kombat from MK: Deception. I loved that mini-game. Etc, etc. There is so much to do, the MU universe is so rich with cool characters and storylines.
Those are some cool ideas. I would really like that when MK11 comes out, maybe NRS will add an MK:SM like single player mode that will help you unlock more stuff for the fightimg game itself. They already did it with the Konquest modes for both MKD and MKA (which both have been done extremely well), so why not now?

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Given the success they've had with "guest" characters (especially scorpion in IJ1) I think it's safe to say you have no hope. I personally prefer using a few MK characters over random guests like MKX did as long as it doesn't turn into a NetherRealm vs DC situation (way more annoyed Capcom is incapable of making any fighter without cramming it full of their own stuff)

I don't know that the IP's are a perfect fit, but at least the MK IP is basically a comic book world. It's a much cleaner fit than what we are going to see in MVCI or if they did go "anime." There are anime games out there that you could put anime characters into, but recommending Goku is just weird.

....and Batgirl hasn't been in a wheelchair since before IJ1.
You're contradicting yourself here.
You said IGAU has had "success" with guest characters.
Thus meaning Goku would be successful as a guest.
Goku is beyond anime, he's a symbolic figure who's been matched up against Superman 100 billion times.
Goku vs Superman in any game would sell and be more successful than anything that has Scorpion as a guest apperance.
It's weird to you because you're being blind to match up potentials.

Sub Zero vs Captain Cold or Batman? boring.

Alien vs Predator? exciting MU, theres history behind. If you're going to do a guest character, go all out.

No one requested Sub Zero in IGAU2. It was given as an option, meaning we had no other choices in the poll. Typical Boon BS trying to force feed MK characters in DC games because of his debacle with MK vs DC that no one wants to talk about. It's just a bad choice and poor decision on behalf of NRS. Scorpion's success was shortlived by the way. After Scorpion got nerfed, only 3 people played the character throughout the longevity of the game and was a bottom 3 character....he may have been one of the least remember characters in IGAU history. A guest that made no impact of his nerfing.

Barbara Gordon has become the most popular handicapped character since Charles Xavier ...June 2011 is when she came back as Batgirl. But she spent majority of her time in the 90s and 00s as Oracle for NW and Birds of Prey. So fall back, fam. She was more known for being the chair. She's done some great things as Batgirl, such as save Batman's life. But she never been an elite hero or hand to hand fighter like NW or Cassandra Cain.

Say wallahi on it.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
You're contradicting yourself here.
You said IGAU has had "success" with guest characters.
Thus meaning Goku would be successful as a guest.
Goku is beyond anime, he's a symbolic figure who's been matched up against Superman 100 billion times.
Goku vs Superman in any game would sell and be more successful than anything that has Scorpion as a guest apperance.
It's weird to you because you're being blind to match up potentials.

Sub Zero vs Captain Cold or Batman? boring.

Alien vs Predator? exciting MU, theres history behind. If you're going to do a guest character, go all out.

No one requested Sub Zero in IGAU2. It was given as an option, meaning we had no other choices in the poll. Typical Boon BS trying to force feed MK characters in DC games because of his debacle with MK vs DC that no one wants to talk about. It's just a bad choice and poor decision on behalf of NRS. Scorpion's success was shortlived by the way. After Scorpion got nerfed, only 3 people played the character throughout the longevity of the game and was a bottom 3 character....he may have been one of the least remember characters in IGAU history. A guest that made no impact of his nerfing.

Barbara Gordon has become the most popular handicapped character since Charles Xavier ...June 2011 is when she came back as Batgirl. But she spent majority of her time in the 90s and 00s as Oracle for NW and Birds of Prey. So fall back, fam. She was more known for being the chair. She's done some great things as Batgirl, such as save Batman's life. But she never been an elite hero or hand to hand fighter like NW or Cassandra Cain.

Say wallahi on it.
I was suggesting Goku is a weird genre mismatch that has no meaningful stylistic overlap with the injustice tone and world - not that guests don't sell. More to the point is that anime is not a stylistic match for Injustice. This is coming from a former anime guy that has a good chunk of his back covered in the stuff. I really don't care if it's been tried; I just flat out don't think they fit together artistically. I do think MK kind of does. I do see the point about not really getting the best version of them in a game where MK characters can't gore kill, but then I'm not really into that part MK.

Competitors are 1 percent'ers that buy everything and therefore don't contribute to a "what sold best" sales comparison. In the end Scorpion sold too well to not repeat, and his value at a competitive level has zip to do with that (or what SZ's will be). The game will sell millions, and bunch of people will play Sub-Zero for 5-min, get bored, and go play something else. Then NRS will take their money and start making MK11. I'm ok with that.

Energy Crisis

new to posting, but I been a ghost for years
I don't want Amy more MK characters in injustice 2...but the ONLY reason I would want Johnny Cage in any injustice game would be for the dialogue between him & Booster Gold

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Johnnys way more hype than sub. Can we just remove him.
He's already in the roster, so no Johnny for ya. Let those bitches face the consequences, too. We already had the horror chars in MKX, so...

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
If it wasn't for WB there wouldn't be an NRS or any future MK games (no MK9 or MKX). The least Boon and company could do as a thank you was create a fighting game based on WB's biggest IP!! And thankfully they did.

As revenge for us getting stuck with MK characters in Injustice I fully expect Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman as DLC fighters for MK11 :p
I disagree. If WB hadn't bought the MK franchise after Midway went bankrupt, somebody else would have, or better yet, the MK team could have started their own studio, obtained the rights to MK, and made the games they wanted without some big company telling them what games to make and what characters to put in them.

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Incoming Rant:

Leave MK characters the fuc out of a DC fighting game. MKX is one of the fun games I ever played and NRS did an amazing job on the animation, lighting and overall aesthetic of the game. It's it best game up to date. I know people complained about lack of zoning but original MK games was never about zoning. It's always been a rush down based game. Not every game needs guest characters....the trend is corny and played out. These damn games make enough money alone off of DLC skins. You want real DLCs, induct One Punch Man, the Avatar or Goku...bring some anime into the game. Leave MK where it does best, in MK. I want my Sub Zero in a game where he can do heavy damaging D2s, brutalities, fatalities and he actually has a relevance in the game. Sub, Johnny, Raiden have no relevance to the DC world. Never did, never will. Predator, Alien, Leatherface are all gore killers who fit perfectly in MKX and make a more interesting cast than MK Millennial generation (Takeda, Jackie, Cassie, etc). This isn't just about money. It's the fact Boon wants to jerk off his baby NRS testicles onto a DC based game. Boon overall is a corny dude, so of course his guest and DLC packages will be corny as well. I mean, they allowed Batgirl who's been in a wheelchair for decades in a fighting game. Plz.
You do know that D2s juggles into full combos in Inj games right? also no matter how much we bitch guest chars will always appear on NRs games.

Carl-L

Sub-Zero hater.
Maybe someone could help me out here but I can't understand the thought process of "well MKX had horror characters that we didn't want, so Injustice players should accept the MK guests".

Like I get that people wanted MK characters and weren't too happy they had to accept that 4 potential MK characters had to sit on the sidelines for guests from movies, but surely people can see that being ok with the MK guests is the same as being ok with the horror movie guests?

You can't just flip your opinions on the guest characters just because the guests this time around are people you like. I love Green Arrow, but if GA was a guest in MK11 I'd be annoyed that an MK character has been told to sit out on an MK game to make way for a DC guest. I'm not gonna just suddenly accept this guest character just because it's someone I like.

Roy Arkon

No one requested Sub Zero in IGAU2. It was given as an option, meaning we had no other choices in the poll. Typical Boon BS trying to force feed MK characters in DC games because of his debacle with MK vs DC that no one wants to talk about. It's just a bad choice and poor decision on behalf of NRS. Scorpion's success was shortlived by the way. After Scorpion got nerfed, only 3 people played the character throughout the longevity of the game and was a bottom 3 character....he may have been one of the least remember characters in IGAU history. A guest that made no impact of his nerfing..
Except that:

1) Sub-Zero was already a given for IJ2 considering that he's the other poster boy of MK alongside Scorpion, as well as how well the sales were for Scorpion as DLC for IJ1. The whole "Sub-Zero in the poll" thing was just "there" kind of thing.

2) Aside from the fact that WB are the ones who wants to guest characters more in the NRS games for obvious reasons, Ed Boon himself said that him and NRS don't wanna go for MK Vs. DC 2, as they love to jump between the franchises (MK and IJ).

3) Like I said, Scorpion was the best-selling DLC character for IJ1, so WB and NRS would wanna add more characters, particularly Sub-Zero, for the cash. His competitive success and buff/nerf history have nothing to do with his sells success.

Johnnys way more hype than sub. Can we just remove him.
Not sure if Johnny was more hyped or not, but SZ was a given from the get-go. As for the Clone thing, even if the Clone comes back, I don't think that this automatically going to turn him into a hard-to-deal-with type of a character.

If it wasn't for WB there wouldn't be an NRS or any future MK games (no MK9 or MKX). The least Boon and company could do as a thank you was create a fighting game based on WB's biggest IP!! And thankfully they did.

As revenge for us getting stuck with MK characters in Injustice I fully expect Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman as DLC fighters for MK11 :p
Lol there would always be MK games they sell to well ! If midway didn't sell to WB it would have just been another company that got them ! Image a world that EA is making Mortal Kombat *pukes everywhere *

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
1. I guarantee most people who play this game and buy this game don't give a damn if Sub Zero is a poster boy of MK. This game doesn't need him. At best, it's a compliment to Boon's product.

2. MK vs DC 2 sounds like a bad idea just based on how poor MK vs DC 1 was. It should be left alone.

3. I believe Scorps sells success is overrated. IGAU 1 DLC wasn't great. Scorpion came out when IGAU was hot (new game, CEO, EVO, summer vacation for most kids) Lobo, Zod, Zatanna, Batgirl, MMH isn't exactly a DLC to many people would buy all together. Not everyone is a fan of each. Even if Scorpion was the hottest sale, doesn't make it good for the future of the IGAU series. Now should we expect a MK character in every Injustice game? That's dumb. It's played out and keeps the content corny. Scorpion was a nice surprise but we when it happens every game, theres no thrill to that guest character. Most of IGAU1 guest appearances were surprises. A lot of IGAU2 guest will be mostly request I believe.

Except that:

1) Sub-Zero was already a given for IJ2 considering that he's the other poster boy of MK alongside Scorpion, as well as how well the sales were for Scorpion as DLC for IJ1. The whole "Sub-Zero in the poll" thing was just "there" kind of thing.

2) Aside from the fact that WB are the ones who wants to guest characters more in the NRS games for obvious reasons, Ed Boon himself said that him and NRS don't wanna go for MK Vs. DC 2, as they love to jump between the franchises (MK and IJ).

3) Like I said, Scorpion was the best-selling DLC character for IJ1, so WB and NRS would wanna add more characters, particularly Sub-Zero, for the cash. His competitive success and buff/nerf history have nothing to do with his sells success.

Not sure if Johnny was more hyped or not, but SZ was a given from the get-go. As for the Clone thing, even if the Clone comes back, I don't think that this automatically going to turn him into a hard-to-deal-with type of a character.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
You do know that D2s juggles into full combos in Inj games right? also no matter how much we bitch guest chars will always appear on NRs games.
MK is notoriously known for having heavy hitting D2.s
Injustice D2 scale the damage...this is pretty common knowledge to have if you play both games.

That's not the point, a MK D2 feels different than a IGAU D2....it's not even an important feature, I'm just talking about the feeling of the game and how they're different.

and let people voice their opinion. The fans have a voice and they should use it. The game is already out, but people can still make request. Theres 6 more DLCs out and I'm sure people want to see their character in. Why be against that?

Roy Arkon

1. I guarantee most people who play this game and buy this game don't give a damn if Sub Zero is a poster boy of MK. This game doesn't need him. At best, it's a compliment to Boon's product
How can you guarantee that most people don't care if he's in the game? Maybe people will still buy it, but if Sub-Zero, or another MK character makes the cut, this can effect the sales of the game overall. It worked for WB and NRS in the past games, so it would only make sense for them to do this again. And Sub-Zero can sell a lot to them. YOU might not care, but a lot of people do.

2. MK vs DC 2 sounds like a bad idea just based on how poor MK vs DC 1 was. It should be left alone.
That's not the point. Ed Boon and NRS don't wanna make a new MK Vs. DC because they wanna make different games each time, Ed Boon said that in an interview last year. it has nothing to do with MK Vs. DC, and putting MK characters in IJ1 or 2, or even putting DC characters in future MK games, doesn't have anything to do with it either.

3. I believe Scorps sells success is overrated. IGAU 1 DLC wasn't great. Scorpion came out when IGAU was hot (new game, CEO, EVO, summer vacation for most kids) Lobo, Zod, Zatanna, Batgirl, MMH isn't exactly a DLC to many people would buy all together. Not everyone is a fan of each. Even if Scorpion was the hottest sale, doesn't make it good for the future of the IGAU series. Now should we expect a MK character in every Injustice game? That's dumb. It's played out and keeps the content corny. Scorpion was a nice surprise but we when it happens every game, theres no thrill to that guest character. Most of IGAU1 guest appearances were surprises. A lot of IGAU2 guest will be mostly request I believe.
Overrated? I'm sorry but that's just stupid, Scorpion was still a hot seller and it sold the most in comparison to the other DLC chars. It has nothing to do with summer vacation or tournament schedule, Alien was the 2nd best seller for MKX alongside Predator, and when Alien came with the rest of KP2, there was no EVO, CEO or a vacation in that time. You just throwing things in the air. And yes, not everyone is a fan of those characters, but more a fans of Scorpion then any of the other characters in IJ1.

As for guest characters in the future, considering that they do sell a lot, then yes, they will keep coming in the future, whatever it's an MK character for IJ, a different character (for either MK or IJ) or even a DC char for MK (Joker and Darkseid can work in MK for example). And yes, it is good for the future as it makes them more money to make more games and more content, including the type of content that you want, which is more MK characters for MK games and DC characters for DC games.

and let people voice their opinion. The fans have a voice and they should use it. The game is already out, but people can still make request. Theres 6 more DLCs out and I'm sure people want to see their character in. Why be against that?
It's not being against voicing your opinion, it's that you need to accept opinions of other people besides you and people who think like you. I for one like that fact that we have MK characters in IJ2, and I think it would be interesting, like I said, to see DC characters like the Joker or Darkseid in MK11 and such. And if people do buy these guest characters and these make the most sells for each game (Freddy for MK9, Scorpion for IJ1 and both Predator and Alien for MKX) that means WB and NRS take the opinions of these people into consideration as well. Of course they can't make more guest characters then actual MK characters or DC characters for their respective games, as it's also about getting the license and the rights to use such characters (for chars from other franchises) and of course they have to stick to the universe of each game, but they can't just take them all out just because one group of fans of don't them, as the other group do want them. And if you care about letting people to voice their opinions, you need to allow these people to voice their opinions as well.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
If it weren't for NRS and MK, I never would have gotten into Injustice. The communities overlap. Plus characters like Scorpion and SZ are iconic and will sell. NRS doesn't have to shell out money to use them.

It would be kind of silly not to have one or two of them. Though I still firmly believe that one of the MK guests should have been Shao Kahn lol

Shaka

Tier Whore.
MK is notoriously known for having heavy hitting D2.s
Injustice D2 scale the damage...this is pretty common knowledge to have if you play both games.

That's not the point, a MK D2 feels different than a IGAU D2....it's not even an important feature, I'm just talking about the feeling of the game and how they're different.

Inj2 d2s lead to more damage, if you played both games you'd know that.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Given that we will need to wait 3 or so years for the next MK due to injustice, and there will likely be wasted slots for crappy horror film characters included in the next MK, can we please get 8 MK characters in the Inj 2 roster??? That would be great and would somewhat make up for the MK dry spell. (and include Kitana and Mileena pls!)

Silver_Shadow

Crazy Mexican
Given that we will need to wait 3 or so years for the next MK due to injustice, and there will likely be wasted slots for crappy horror film characters included in the next MK, can we please get 8 MK characters in the Inj 2 roster??? That would be great and would somewhat make up for the MK dry spell. (and include Kitana and Mileena pls!)
It's actually two years man. Quit being a spoiled brat. You just got MKX for crying out loud! Its been 4 years since the last Injustice so let DC fans have their game!!

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
It's actually two years man. Quit being a spoiled brat. You just got MKX for crying out loud! Its been 4 years since the last Injustice so let DC fans have their game!!
And who was the one that requested the horror characters in MKX in the first place? We never wanted the horror characters in the first place. We wanted Fujin, Sindel, Shang Tsung, etc (to name a few). Not those horror characters.

I'm starting to wonder if NRS is actually reading the TYM in the first place.

Roy Arkon

And who was the one that requested the horror characters in MKX in the first place? We never wanted the horror characters in the first place. We wanted Fujin, Sindel, Shang Tsung, etc (to name a few). Not those horror characters.

I'm starting to wonder if NRS is actually reading the TYM in the first place.
A lot of people wanted Predator and Alien, and Leatherface was kinda expected by people who saw Ed Boon talking about Gunner Hansen (the original Leatherface in the movies) after he passed away. Yes, a lot of those people didn't come from TYM but not only some people in TYM did want/predict these characters to come, I saw A LOT of people wanting/predicting these characters outside of TYM, just like I saw people outside of TYM wanting/predicting Bo' Rai Cho, Triborg and Tremor both in and out of TYM.

Last edited:

Protectobot

More Displacer Raiden, please! ;P
A lot of people wanted Predator and Alien, and Leatherface was kinda expected by people who saw Ed Boon talking about Gunner Hansen (the original Leatherface in the movies) after he passed away. Yes, a lot of those people didn't come from TYM but not only some people in TYM did want/predict these characters to come, I saw A LOT of people wanting/predicting these characters outside of TYM, just like I saw people outside of TYM wanting/predicting Bo' Rai Cho, Triborg and Tremor both in and out of TYM.
Sorry if this is late, but on a sidenote, Johnny Cage is already a guest character...: drum roll : in NRS' wwe Immortals lol. Just put EVERYBODY in the mobile games, at least: like how Baraka and Jade were added to mkx mobile, or Static added to IJ1 mobile alongside Darkseid (side side?) :)

I'd LOVE to have Raiden in Injustice 2 since he's my overall-fave MK character despite occasional character/ethics flaws that are overshadowed by the opposite of that in general, and Johnny Cage personally gets on my nerves as a character: despite having some cool moves. I understand if ppl would rather have DC-based characters, and I already got Black Canary, Starfire and Supergirl, so if I get Black Lightning, that would be icing on the cake, but I'm satisfied and wants other gamers and comic fans to be happy too! :D Even though my mains aren't returning from IJ1: Raven and MM/J'J'