What's new

Injustice 2 DLC Theory: Did MKX Hint at Johnny cage and not Raiden as DLC?

Kinda seems like something NRS would do. I guess I would prefer Johnny. I find Raiden to be painfully bland. No disrespect to you Raiden hopefuls out there. I think my favorite villain is making it as dlc and I hope you guys have the same luck.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
For some, that would be the MK characters. After all, DC fans would want DC characters to take priority in a DC fighting game.
Mk fans would have wanted mk characters over 4 guests from horror movies, but guess what: they make $

And using mk guests costs nothing no nrs. It's a win/win for them. Honestly I don't expect less than two Mk guests. Boon himself hinted at that in an interview.

And for people talking about wasted slots, basically Injustice is a wasted slot for mortal kombat adventure games, which would be released if Injustice didn't exist and consume nrs time. So sorry if mk fans get to have 1-2 mk characters in exchange for having to wait two extra years for Mortal Kombat content due to Injustice existence.

Last edited:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I'd rather see raiden.

Though I think I remember in johnnys mk9 ending he ended up obtaining raidens power and overwatching earthrealm. If someone watches it and I'm right post it cus I'm not sure I remember right

Silver_Shadow

Crazy Mexican
Mk fans would have wanted mk characters over 4 guests from horror movies, but guess what: they make $

And using mk guests costs nothing no nrs. It's a win/win for them. Honestly I don't expect less than two Mk guests. Boon himself hinted at that in an interview.

And for people talking about wasted slots, basically Injustice is a wasted slot for mortal kombat adventure games, which would be released if Injustice didn't exist and consume nrs time. So sorry if mk fans get to have 1-2 mk characters in exchange for having to wait two extra years for Mortal Kombat content due to Injustice existence.
If it wasn't for WB there wouldn't be an NRS or any future MK games (no MK9 or MKX). The least Boon and company could do as a thank you was create a fighting game based on WB's biggest IP!! And thankfully they did.

As revenge for us getting stuck with MK characters in Injustice I fully expect Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman as DLC fighters for MK11 :p

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
If it wasn't for WB there wouldn't be an NRS or any future MK games (no MK9 or MKX). The least Boon and company could do as a thank you was create a fighting game based on WB's biggest IP!! And thankfully they did.

As revenge for us getting stuck with MK characters in Injustice I fully expect Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman as DLC fighters for MK11 :p
If it wasn't WB, it would be NRS to bring back Fujin, Rain, Sindel, etc. It's because of WB that they brought LF, Predator and Alien. Now go face yourselves with MK chars, like Sub, Raiden and Johnny Cage. :p

Lokheit

Noob
100% agree with the theory, I was even going to start a thread like this, that dialogue came to my head too when I saw the sillouetes for many reasons:

- Johnny was second on Ed's pool, not Raiden.

- I think putting the hat on the figure was more a hint at "1 more MK character" than a hint at an specific one because Johnny's figure wouldn't be as easy to recognize.

- The gear system is A PERFECT FIT for Johnny. He's an actor and he could wear a ton of stuff, he could even cosplay as certain characters not included in the game or have t-shirts with references to them so fans at least have pop culture references to their favorite characters if they don't make the cut. That includes cosplaying as Raiden with his hat from that bet and that shadow would be actually Johnny with alternate gear on, and that's why the second version of the silloutes doesn't have the hat.

- Johnny also has a very easy pick for a character trait with his red shadow.

The only point against him would be that he was already a guest on a NRS game, but that was a mobile game and even Freddy repeated as guest in the MKX mobile version so it doesn't count.

Last edited:

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Incoming Rant:

Leave MK characters the fuc out of a DC fighting game. MKX is one of the fun games I ever played and NRS did an amazing job on the animation, lighting and overall aesthetic of the game. It's it best game up to date. I know people complained about lack of zoning but original MK games was never about zoning. It's always been a rush down based game. Not every game needs guest characters....the trend is corny and played out. These damn games make enough money alone off of DLC skins. You want real DLCs, induct One Punch Man, the Avatar or Goku...bring some anime into the game. Leave MK where it does best, in MK. I want my Sub Zero in a game where he can do heavy damaging D2s, brutalities, fatalities and he actually has a relevance in the game. Sub, Johnny, Raiden have no relevance to the DC world. Never did, never will. Predator, Alien, Leatherface are all gore killers who fit perfectly in MKX and make a more interesting cast than MK Millennial generation (Takeda, Jackie, Cassie, etc). This isn't just about money. It's the fact Boon wants to jerk off his baby NRS testicles onto a DC based game. Boon overall is a corny dude, so of course his guest and DLC packages will be corny as well. I mean, they allowed Batgirl who's been in a wheelchair for decades in a fighting game. Plz.

Lokheit

Noob
Incoming Rant:

Leave MK characters the fuc out of a DC fighting game. MKX is one of the fun games I ever played and NRS did an amazing job on the animation, lighting and overall aesthetic of the game. It's it best game up to date. I know people complained about lack of zoning but original MK games was never about zoning. It's always been a rush down based game. Not every game needs guest characters....the trend is corny and played out. These damn games make enough money alone off of DLC skins. You want real DLCs, induct One Punch Man, the Avatar or Goku...bring some anime into the game. Leave MK where it does best, in MK. I want my Sub Zero in a game where he can do heavy damaging D2s, brutalities, fatalities and he actually has a relevance in the game. Sub, Johnny, Raiden have no relevance to the DC world. Never did, never will. Predator, Alien, Leatherface are all gore killers who fit perfectly in MKX and make a more interesting cast than MK Millennial generation (Takeda, Jackie, Cassie, etc). This isn't just about money. It's the fact Boon wants to jerk off his baby NRS testicles onto a DC based game. Boon overall is a corny dude, so of course his guest and DLC packages will be corny as well. I mean, they allowed Batgirl who's been in a wheelchair for decades in a fighting game. Plz.
At least in this game they make more sense than the horror characters in MKX because DC now publishes the MK comic and the game features a multiverse (and DC comics in general have a multiverse, some creators even got their characters with them from one editorial to another) so it makes more sense that characters from alternate earths (in this case MK second timeline earth) can interact with the main DC universe.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Incoming Rant:

Given the success they've had with "guest" characters (especially scorpion in IJ1) I think it's safe to say you have no hope. I personally prefer using a few MK characters over random guests like MKX did as long as it doesn't turn into a NetherRealm vs DC situation (way more annoyed Capcom is incapable of making any fighter without cramming it full of their own stuff)

I don't know that the IP's are a perfect fit, but at least the MK IP is basically a comic book world. It's a much cleaner fit than what we are going to see in MVCI or if they did go "anime." There are anime games out there that you could put anime characters into, but recommending Goku is just weird.

....and Batgirl hasn't been in a wheelchair since before IJ1.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I think it's all just one big tease, in the sense that it can either be Raiden or Johnny, or maybe even both, or maybe neither of them at all. So to me it seems like all 4 scenarios are possible.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

This, so much. I miss the days when the MK team (now known as NRS) would make MK games exclusively. There is so much cool stuff in the MK universe they could be doing instead of Injustice. The MK spin-off games they did make, such as MK: Shao Lin Monks, MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero, and MK: Special Forces were pretty darn good (except Special Forces). Imagine MK Mythologies: Johny Cage, Kitana, Ermac, etc. Or an MK RPG game, or an MMO, or a Civilization style strategy game. Why not?!

Or heck, even a hack and slash, Dark Souls/Bayonetta type of a game with Kenshi. That would be epic. I am imagining it right now and I am getting goose bumps. Another idea: personally, I would love a martial arts adventure game starring Bo Rai Cho, or another one of my favorite ideas, an expanded version of Chess Kombat from MK: Deception. I loved that mini-game. Etc, etc. There is so much to do, the MK universe is so rich with cool characters and storylines.

Last edited:

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
At least in this game they make more sense than the horror characters in MKX because DC now publishes the MK comic and the game features a multiverse (and DC comics in general have a multiverse, some creators even got their characters with them from one editorial to another) so it makes more sense that characters from alternate earths (in this case MK second timeline earth) can interact with the main DC universe.
Understood and fair point.
I just know from following MK since 1992, the vibe of the Mortal Kombat universe is just a completely different one than all of the universes in the DC realm. Nothing has to be exactly like to be joined together btw, but I feel Mortal Kombat does a great job by itself since it isn't overstated with metas and gadget characters like DC. Gods(Raiden, Fujin etc), sorcerers(Quan Chi, Shang, etc), martial artist(Lui, Cage, Lao), ninja tribes (shirai ryu vs lin kuei) and military spec ops are key elements to MK characters. Like having Batman as a DLC for a MKX game would just be goofy as f. Most DC heroes don't kill and aren't known for doing such. Injustice storyline is different, but it just overall feels awkward changing the vibe just for the game.

If we put my guy Sub Zero in a DC game, but they won't show Sub ripping Superman's spine out of his body.....it just takes away so much Sub is known for. Sub is my favorite MK character since I first played the game. (MK1). I think most real Sub Zero fans can admit that we won't get the best version of Sub Zero just like Scorpion fans didn't get the best version of Scorp in IGAU1.