What's new

Information for newbie KL's

Lulzlou

Noob
"A person new to a game, concept, or forum. Not to be confused with n00b, a stupid person. Newbies are just new." - Took this from urbandictionary. I'm not calling all of you idiots for just starting out (new to the game or character) and don't know where or how to look.

I haven't found that much information on KL. I never read anything on this side of the forums. How I learned KL was by breaking down high level KL matches.

This isn't 100% correct or explains high level play I'm sure. But it gives a general idea for Kung Lao. The whole reason I wrote this was for myself. When I write things down I don't even have to think about it; it comes naturally. I don't want to be worrying about what is safe/unsafe and what I can punish mid-match. Actually going to attempt to write one for every character but not post it here unless I feel the need to.

I will update this as soon as I get more experience.

I did this all myself so sorry if things are a little slow or off.

Kung Lao
Spin (df1) - Teleport+attack (du~1/2/3/4) - Dive kick (d4 in the air) - Roll (f3) - low hat (db2) - hat toss (bf2)

Basic combos
Midscreen
112, NJP, dash~jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin 28%
21, NJP, dash~jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin 30%
112, jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin 26%
21, jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin 27
21, jump kick~dive kick, dash 1, dash 24 1+3(throw)2 33% - If you time a 2 after the grab correctly, it adds on to the move and does extra damage. I just spam it, I don't really care for getting it on time.
The last two combos just show you can used these combos with a JIP or telekick

Corner - Can be used with these starters 21~spin, 112~spin or 24~spin
24~spin, NJP, jump kick~dive kick, 1, 1, 1, 1, 24+throw 2 - 37%
24~spin, NJP, jump kick~dive kick, 3, 24+throw 2 - 36%

24~spin, jump kick~dive kick, back jump kick~dive kick, 24+throw 2 - 38%
24~spin, NJP, jump kick~tele kick, 1, 1, 24+throw

Kung Lao's X-Ray
KL's X-Ray is actually pretty useful for him because of the amount of damage you can do with it. You shouldn't be focused on saving meter for this but it is a useful tool. Only use it when you know you are going to win the match or need to use it as a last resort. You can use it naked as an anti-air or using it in combos. Its better to use it early in the combo because the damage will scale a lot of you wait til later. This does take all of your bars so it will leave you meterless and you wont be able to breaker a combo.
Mid-screen
21~spin, X-Ray, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 24~throw 2 - 49% - keeps the xray safe to use.
21~spin, NJP, dash~jump kick~dive kick, roll~Xray, 24-throw 2 - 50%
24~Xray, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, 24-throw 2 - 48% - not really safe because they can block this easy
Corner - can use the same as above
24~spin, jump(for the lulz), Xray, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 24+throw 2 - 50%
Anti Air
Xray, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, 24~throw 2 - 49%
I haven't invest my time in X-ray combos so sorry if there are better ones.
Teleport "Armor"
This special move gets armor if you use the enchanced version of it (uses 1 bar). It doesn't get armor the whole time but its good to use to get in close when the opponent doesn't expect it. This is just showing you where you get armor and where you don't. Use it wisely
This might be slightly wrong.
Anti-Air
The spin is a good anti-air. It makes your opponent respect you punishing him while he does a cross-over or jumps at you. Tools: NJP, Spin, d1~spin, JIP, Jump kick~dive kick d1~spin, jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin - 21%
Spin, move slightly forward NJP, 1, 1, 1, 1, 24+throw 2 - 26%
NJP, spin, jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin - 24%
JIP, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, 24+throw 2 - 18% - not that useful its there if you JIP by accident.
Jump kick~dive kick, roll~spin - 20%
Creating Space and Crontrolling the Screen
The low hat (db2) is a good way to zone and create space. Do not abuse the low hat unless you know you can get away with it. It is easily punishable. Two good ways to create some space if your opponent is giving you a tough time up close is using 3~Low hat or d4~low hat. The 3 on a blocking opponent pushes them away then adding a low hat wil push them even farther if they don't block the hat. The d4 is good to use also. Don't spam this all the time and you'll be able to get away with this most of the time.

The dive kick is an amazing tool to move acround the screen. If you get this down as a footsie tool, it can open up a lot of options. The way you go backwards during a cross-over is wait til you are on the other side then dive kick. It will reverse it putting you back to where you came from.

This is probably one of the best ways to cover a distance with a combo. Good way to get your opponent close to the corner.
21~spin, NJP, dash~jump kick~Either telekick or throw
Practicing the 1 juggle
Practicing this is important because a lot of his more advanced combos use this. I will get to those later but for now, you can practicing doing these. Doing the dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, dash 1, 24~grab is tricky at first but you'll get used to it
The Use of Spin
KL's spin isn't something you can abuse. You can get blown up easily from a blocked spin. How you want to use it is basically doing it whenever you see an open spot that your spin could connect with. The spin is KL's fastest move and one of the fastest specials in the game. You can practice this if you have a buddy. Go through each character's move with him and see what can you spin out of. The enchanced version of the spin covers a lot of distance and can be used in the same way.
1st Clip: If you see the opponent start something early or make a bad read, you can used the enchanced spin if you are too far away.
2nd clip: If a hit doesn't connect, the spin can sometimes connect if you do it fast enough before the follow up hit.
3rd Clip: If you are stuck on the other side of the screen you can telekick into a combo. Or on the 5th clip, do that combo instead.
4th Clip: You can duck under almost every projectile in the game. If you can close enough you can do an enchance spin to punished a projectile.
5th clip: A different combo to do instead for the 4th clip. Use this if you think your opponent is going to try to duck the telekick. Do du~2 to do this.
Advanced Combos - Uses one bar of meter
The enchanced hat is a good tool during combos to extend them for more damage. It should only be used for that purpose. Hat toss is bf2. These combos will probably require you to take more time on because of the strick timing. Once you get it down, its a breeze.
Corner
telekick~24~spin, jumpkick~telekick, 3~exHat, jump kick~dive kick, 3, 24~throw 2 - 52%
24~spin, NJP, jump kick~dive kick, 3~exHat, 3 24~throw 2 - 41%
24~spin, jump kick~telekick, 3~exHat, jump kick~dive kick, 24~throw 2 - 45%
Midscreen
21~spin, jump kick~dive kick, 2~exHat, dash 1, dash 1, 24~throw 2 - 42%
Frame Advantage/Disadvantage
Every character has moves that are safe/unsafe on block/hit. Some moves will leave you negative frames on block, which allows the opponent to do a move first. If you are positive on block, you are able to do something first. There is also 0 on block. That is where it is equal game for each person. The frame data can be found on this forum. Frames can be used to see how fast your moves are.
1 - 11 - 112 - 1121 Hit string
1 = 10frames and 0 on block
11 = 13frames and 0 on block
112 = 11frames 0 on block
1121 = 12 frames and 0 on blocl
This is one of KL's good pressure tools. The way to approach this all depends on how well your opponent knows the match up and how fast his/her character is. The most common way this is used is mixing up the entire string and doing cross-overs. You can add a spin if the hit connects or a low hat to stop the pressure. With the combination of this, low hats dive kick mix-up and crossovers, it can be good tool to use if done correctly. If you feel like your opponent is going to hit you out of it you have a few options. Teleport, dive kick away, Jump away, low hat or d1 or d3, d4 and 3(if the opponent chooses to block still).
Useful pokes
Low hat = 19frames and -12 on block (Use this wisely. Any character can easily poke/combo you out of it on block)
D1 = 7frames and -13 on block (His d1 can pretty much poke out of everything but if blocked, it leaves you at a huge disadvantage.)
d3 = 9frames and -7 on block (You don't have to worry about this getting blocked all the time but when it does, you have to be extremely careful what with what you do after it. You could block in time before a punish so don't get careless)
d4 = 12frames and 0 on block (Even though its slow, it is 0 on block so you don't exactly have to follow up with a special. You can do like the video before with creating space d4~lowHat. It gives you breathing room.)
3 = 10frames and 0 on block (I don't see a lot of KL players use this. It is actually useful with the way I described it in the creating space section. You get so much space if it gets blocked and you add a low hat. You can even do a JIP instead of a low hat.
21/24 options
2 = 7frames and 0 on block (From here, you have two options)
21 = 11 frames and 0 on block
24 = 11 frames and -1 on block. Both are safe if they are blocked. The option you have here is more for mix ups
21 route
21~low hat (It is a good mix up tool to use but don't over use it. It is called a mix up for a reason)
21~teleport~1/2/3/4 (Every teleport move is 0 on block so what you want to do with this is up to you. If the 3 or 2 connect you can do one of the combos I explained earlier. Doing a 1 will do a throw, usually can get this most of the time. Doing a 4 will knock the opponent a good distance if it hits them. It brings them to sweep distance if blocked. Teleport can be easily punished so be careful)
21212 = 8frames and 15 on the last hit. It leaves you -13 on block. It does give a lot of space if its blocked but be careful and respect your opponent's options. You can do a special before the very last hit connects but the timing is strict. It does open up more options. That is up to you to see if you want to explore this. It isn't needed, but its a useful tool.
2121212 = 24 frames and -26 on block (You should never use this. I just put this here to say not to lol.

Using the 0 on block strings, depending on your opponents reactions and how well he knows the match up you can go into another 21, 112 pressure or into a 24.

24 route
24 1+3(can use grab button instead) If blocked, the Grab wont come out. Since it leaves you at -1, you are pretty much safe if you are smart about the follow up.
24 1+2 25 frames and -11 on block. If you keep doing 24~low hat and the opponent blocks it and they expect you to keep doing it, you can do this one. By doing 24 1+2, it hits an overhead so it will punish all crouch blocking. A good mix up tool if you are smart with hit.
24~low hat - With the combination with this and the one above, it is one of KL's best mix-up tools. Its a 50/50 to block standing or crouch. Low hat will punish stand blockers
24~teleport - it can make this move a little more interesting depending on how your opponent reacts to it. Same rules apply with how the 21-tele works.
This video explains what all this was about. The sound gets a little off sorry.
Late edit:
B33 - 13 frames and -8 on block. This is useful because its a low hit and can be linked to any special.
If you are interested in more frama data, check think thread out.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/kung-lao-frame-data.12631/
How to build meter
Took this small bit of info off of
http://testyourmight.com/threads/building-metter-with-kung-lao.13278/
"Low hat [whiff/on hit] - 27 usesLow hat [on block] - 8 uses
Hat Toss same as the low hatSpin [whiff/on hit] - 17 uses
Spin [on block] - 7 usesDive kick [whiff/on hit] - 45 uses
Dive kick [on block] - 9 usesTeleport [whiff/on hit] - 17 uses
Teleport [on block - any move except the grab] - 7 uses
2,1,2,1,2 string - 5 uses to build the entire metter [on block]following by specials it builds practically the same amount of metter
You gain meter for hitting a blocked opponent, using specials, taking damage, doing recovery rolls and wake up attacks."

Abuse low hat/hat toss - This doesn't work on everyone so don't think you can get away with this from high level players. Stay on full screen distance and throw the hat like its your last birthday. You'll get meter from throwing the hats plus extra meter if they block it. If you feel like they are going to try to outzone you, teleport or dive kick to them very quickly. Important note: Do not use it as many times as I did int he video unless the other person is completely braindead or doesn't know the match up. It should be quick and easy, don't sit there and spam.

1, 11, 112, 1121 pressure - We covered this before. It helps a lot building meter since its neutral on block and you can escape easily if you make the right read. Cancel these into telekicks/jump~telekick/delayed telekick(waiting just a small out of time or dash back to teleport. If you do it at a good time your opponents attack will miss), low hats, crossover jip or dive kick away.

21212 - two of these will give you a little over 1bar of meter on block. You can cancel into a special if you think your opponent is going to read it and punish you for it. This move is very unsafe on block so it would be best if you canceled it into a teleport or low hat, a spin if it connects.

Roll into teleport or low hat - Not much meter gain but its a good mix up tool. If you do rolls into nothing or teleports from my experiences, they will stop blocking after it. This is where you can do roll into low hat or spin. Going into the spin is very risky so its not something you can rely on.

Dive kicks - If you use them like explained aboved, you can gain a vey small amount of meter. There little risk in doing these if you are doing it correctly.

Doing all of this in a match will be hard for some. If you never played a fighting game, "footsies" is a good tool to control a match and test how well your opponent knows the match up. This thread is probably the best to learn from. Easy to read and understand. Once you get this and all the tools he has down, your kung lao will be very solid.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/footsies.13721/

I'll fix any information that is wrong. If you would like to make better quality video's for this, I'll be happy to change it to them. I got really nervous posting this. I was debating whether I should or not. I didn't want to look like a moron lol.

NKZero

Noob
Hey man this is really good stuff. It would also probably benefit some of the more experienced Lao players I'm sure. Anyways I don't play the character but I think there is one thing you should try to avoid. The D4 into low hat is somewhat risky as you mentioned. However I don't even think it's a viable strategy due to the added recovery frames on a blocked low hat. If D4 is blocked and then low hat is blocked, you're in trouble even at further ranges. If D4 hits and low hat is blocked, not only have you wasted the advantage of a hit D4, but you've also put yourself at disadvantage. At top level play, this strategy is exposed fairly easily. I guess every once in a while it will work since opponents might not expect you to link low hat off a D4 and they'll attempt to poke back, thus getting hit by a low hat (advantage on hit).

Anyways this is terrific stuff nonetheless. Nice to see someone breathing life into this forum :).

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
good shit, weve been needing something like this for a while. i wanna write a small article about my beliefs surrounding kung lao meter management and touch on a few points i think are important as a semi advanced KL if i may say so. maybe you can add it to this guide if you like what i have to say.

i dont have time to offer my opinion on this right now but it looks pretty good and a lot of info. i suggest using spoiler tags to divide the sections makin it easier to get the info youre looking for quickly and overall improve the presentation. for an example of this i believe the smoke guide is done in this format.

like i mentioned in the QnA thread we really need an ongoing community guide. i dont know if you or others would be happy to modify this to suit the views of everyone and to cover not just basics but also advanced KL techniques.

Lulzlou

Noob
I would love to improve this as much as I can. I really want to get involved with the community more.

I'm willing to work with anyone to get this legit. Posting here or messaging me would be the best thing to do.

Thanks for the feedback guys c:

edit: This is from my experiences btw. I haven't fought high level players and I don't play online. If no would really adds, I'll update it when I get more experience.

gdf

Noob
Very good guide just at a glance. This was needed for awhile as stated by 5iVESTAR, I hope to see more of your posts in these forums.
If you are familiar with spoiler tags, I'd encourage that you use them, but they are not required.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
oh snap... and here I just picked him up (or am trying to)! I looked a few days ago and found literally... nothing in the KL forums. Thank you, good sir!

Lulzlou

Noob
oh snap... and here I just picked him up (or am trying to)! I looked a few days ago and found literally... nothing in the KL forums. Thank you, good sir!
I'm glad I could help dude! I wrote all of it this weekend because I want everything to come naturally to me. It took me sort of a long time. I figured I should post here since there was no real kung lao thread. It seemed like the right thing to do when I finished it.

Lulzlou

Noob
I found a 40% no meter corner combo. I never seen this done. The timing is a little weird but I feel like it could be practical even if you don't get all the 1's at the end.
24~spin, jump kick~telekick, jump kick delay dive kick, 1, 1, 1, 24 1+3 2 - 40% (39 without the 2)
24~spin, jump kick~telekick, jump kick delay dive kick, 1, 1, 24 1+3 2 - 39% (38 without the 2)

What do you guys think?

Edit: I'll make a video in the morning if you can't get the timing down.

Edit#2: Decided to make the video because I actually have it down now. I failed at the end and had to input the 2 myself in the play back lmao

miloPKL

nice combo, personally i dont use teleport combos in my games because i feel like i cant do them with 100% accuracy every time. sometimes when i attempt them i teleport to the wrong side or something like that. looks like a solid combo though. might be hard to throw into a battle though

Lulzlou

Noob
Thanks man
Yeah I figured it would be hard doing it in a actual match but I'm going to try it out at a meet up I have wednesday. If I could push myself to get it down in a match, I wouldn't really have to waste meter for a exHat corner combo.

Edit: I was messing around with the teleports a bit more and did this.
24~spin, jump kick~teleport~4, X-ray, dash 1, 1, 24 1+3 2 - 58%
With a JIP its 60% or with a telekick instead of a jip, 64%
24~spin, jump kick~teleport~4, X-ray, jump back~dive kick(lowest point) 24 1+3 2 - 59%
I'm going to figure out a way to break damn 60%
Again, this is wouldnt be as practical as the other combo but its a good tool to have in your sleeves. I'll try this on wednesday as well.

Edit#2: Got it to 60%. I can't wait to try to pull this off. It will be fun lol. I doubt I can make it any higher.
24~spin, jump kick~teleport~4, X-ray, jump back~dive kick(lowest point), 3, 24 1+3 2

ZtrideRz

Noob
It's not hard when you practice it loads off times I always Tele for corner combos it becomes second nature eventually you brain and fingers atune to it like juggling or skipping. Spam it in training and online or with freinds.. Eventually you do it without thinking.

Lulzlou

Noob
Here is another corner combo for KL I just found.
24~spin, njp, jump kick delay dive kick, jump back kick delay dive kick, 24 1+3 2 - 39%
I'm going to see if I can do some more damage for this

After my meet up tomorrow night, I'll modify the corner combos in order of difficulty and I'll add the new ones I found.
I'm playing about 8 characters right now (more soon) so I'm trying new stuff for all of them. Most of the time will be on my mains. kl, kabal and raiden.

Going to start messing around mid-screen soon

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So those are... corner combos? or what?

I've been doing this in the corner...

JIP, 24, spin, NJP, Jump kick, dive kick, 3, X-Ray, 24, 1+3, 2 ... it does over 50% with the 2

but I doubt it's the most efficient in terms of reward for meter usage. What do you guys do in the corner?

Lulzlou

Noob
Yep the recent posts I've made on this thread are all corner tech

I would only use the X-ray if it was the only other option or I know for sure I can win the round. For now I'm going to push myself to do the 60% one with a JIP.

In terms in general meter usage; It depends on your opponents level of play. The higher it is, the more meter you should save for other ways to get in or spending one bar to get over 40-45%.

Garasky

Noob
What is the input for juggle after KL's X-Ray? I can never get the timing down so I just settle with roll, spin. : (

Lulzlou

Noob
For which x-ray combo?
most of the time you have to dash 1 first. Different Xray combos have different juggles you can do after them. Some only give you a little amount of time to do anything. Others will give you a lot more room to do different juggles.

miloPKL

What is the input for juggle after KL's X-Ray? I can never get the timing down so I just settle with roll, spin. : (
dash, 1, 1, 1, 2431-2.

the dash should be immediaye, then te combo is kinda lenient. dunno if this is the best but thats what i use.

these are some good basics. really nice with the spoilers, makes it all clear. i have some adv. techniques that i would like to post but im new to video posts. so i guess ill use my phone's cam for this and than upload some footage.

something that i really like to know is, when can i interupt with a spin on my opponents strings.

Lulzlou

Noob
these are some good basics. really nice with the spoilers, makes it all clear. i have some adv. techniques that i would like to post but im new to video posts. so i guess ill use my phone's cam for this and than upload some footage.

something that i really like to know is, when can i interupt with a spin on my opponents strings.
It depends on the character. If some part of the string whiffs, you can block or spin. Not every character can do the whole interrupting strings though.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
I came up with a combo to make B333 more hit confirmable because as you know B33spin is too hard to hit comfirm. Instead B333 Eh strait hat F3 spin dash 1 dash 1 24 grab does around 34% and if they block just do B333 it's only -5. This used meter but Kl builds meter like a champ anyways

I came up with a combo to make B333 more hit confirmable because as you know B33spin is too hard to hit comfirm. Instead B333 Eh strait hat F3 spin dash 1 dash 1 24 grab does around 34% and if they block just do B333 it's only -5. This used meter but Kl builds meter like a champ anyways
if they block low the last hit of b333 will whiff and then youre dead..