What's new

Match-up Discussion Indecisive's Living MU Chart

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Ah I see, well my zoning isn't consistent enough to have small gaps, so I always thought it was a 5-5. I'll have to test this offline with @Heroic_Legacy and PPJ whenever I get a chance to head up to GGA again
There are a few other reasons But it is pretty tough for the most part. just Keep shoting Guns and Space out Shazam. Also Her Cartwheel on WU Make it somewhat hard for Shazam. Even though he can bait it. She also has a very good footsie Game. Then again most of the cast has better Foosties than Shazam. There is a certain range you do not want to be in since at that range you can get hit with a command grab. In time you will know the range not to be in.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
There are a few other reasons But it is pretty tough for the most part. just Keep shoting Guns and Space out Shazam. Also Her Cartwheel on WU Make it somewhat hard for Shazam. Even though he can bait it. She also has a very good footsie Game. Then again most of the cast has better Foosties than Shazam. There is a certain range you do not want to be in since at that range you can get hit with a command grab. In time you will know the range not to be in.
I think I know that range after playing Glass Sword when he was experimenting with Shazam a while back. That's also where I learned I can d1 and b2 his approach after a tele to interrupt a cmd grab.

If GL has no trait, he can just MB minigun and he has it back again and we sure as shit aren't doing anything about minigun. b2 too slow, throw not far enough range, teleport gets us shot, blocking puts us full screen and you shoot ia trait rockets again or just start mowing down horizontal space with minigun. You don't have to throw air rockets without trait.

Digit

KH Mahvel Baby!
Ignore the gl trolls, @Denzell and @Digit played at scr in a money match and both could give u some great input on the matchup.
Only thing I can say about those I've played at SCR, is I wasn't using an optimized game plan :/

At the time I was still in the bad habit of using D2 in my combos because I liked Shazam extended combos, so therefore I wasn't getting max damage that I should have gotten. I also didn't utilize tick throws at that time. And one thing I've learned since then is that I'm able to D3 GL and dash in to reverse inputs. Which really helps against that MU. By all means tho, it's still a tough MU but I could've performed a lot better then. If anything I'd like to play Denzell again to see how I do now =]

Indecisive

Only thing I can say about those I've played at SCR, is I wasn't using an optimized game plan :/

At the time I was still in the bad habit of using D2 in my combos because I liked Shazam extended combos, so therefore I wasn't getting max damage that I should have gotten. I also didn't utilize tick throws at that time. And one thing I've learned since then is that I'm able to D3 GL and dash in to reverse inputs. Which really helps against that MU. By all means tho, it's still a tough MU but I could've performed a lot better then. If anything I'd like to play Denzell again to see how I do now =]
What do you think about the rest of the MU Chart. Insight from other Shazam Mains is always welcome.

catch us at mlg or evo!!!!,, nd we know dat shazam has improved for sure.

Digit

KH Mahvel Baby!
What do you think about the rest of the MU Chart. Insight from other Shazam Mains is always welcome.
Ehh I think it's ok. I'm not a fan of MU charts >_> but to fill in what you don't have a number on:

Ares 6-4 tho I wanna say 5-5 to be fair. But from what I've played it's not a tough MU for Shazam.
Batgirl 5-5 I play a ton against her
Catwoman 5-5 (Played 16 bit and Starcharger)
Doomsday 5-5 (played w/ the Florida doomsdays lol)
Killer Frost 5-5 (Ribbz was my main training for that mu)
Lex 5-5 (Played revolver at Apex and went pretty even)
Lobo 6-4 (Played GnarlyGatoAlex But I can see it being 5-5 online doesn't do justice for Lobo lol)
Zatanna 5-5 (Played Mr Mileena and deg)

And Joker I'd still like to say it's 6-4. Even is fine, fun matchup nonetheless :p

Indecisive

Ehh I think it's ok. I'm not a fan of MU charts >_> but to fill in what you don't have a number on:

Ares 6-4 tho I wanna say 5-5 to be fair. But from what I've played it's not a tough MU for Shazam.
Batgirl 5-5 I play a ton against her
Catwoman 5-5 (Played 16 bit and Starcharger)
Doomsday 5-5 (played w/ the Florida doomsdays lol)
Killer Frost 5-5 (Ribbz was my main training for that mu)
Lex 5-5 (Played revolver at Apex and went pretty even)
Lobo 6-4 (Played GnarlyGatoAlex But I can see it being 5-5 online doesn't do justice for Lobo lol)
Zatanna 5-5 (Played Mr Mileena and deg)

And Joker I'd still like to say it's 6-4. Even is fine, fun matchup nonetheless :p
Okay thank you very Much. Its helpful to have an idea. And i know your not. I only did this because SZSR and i were talking about it. But thank you for your input.

YUP. Its fucking Great.
i get so frustrated in bad connections when i dash forward read, the teleport and it still doesn't punish, i play imblackjames online in a near perfect connection its a punish every time almost, even with martian's 22

shazam can't fucking get in

shinobispectre

Heart of A Champion, Skill of a Noob :P
Heres why Blue Beetle vs Shazam is 7-3. Beetles mobility in trait gives him so many options to easily pressure Shazam with f2 and start his mixup game with Scarab. Similarly to Shazam Beetle getsto wakeup for free with Scarab ass well completely elimitaing Shazams oki game. Also, his scarab blaster forces Shazam to take many risks while getting while Beetle just builds free meter. I have played this matchup extensively with top Shazam players and this is how i feel on the matchup
Nerf the Reach. He breaks the game all you have to do is just spam specials. He is a blue MMH.

shinobispectre

I think the Ares matchup is even IMO maybe slight advantage to Ares.
For the sake of discussion, why? The only reliable zoning I see Ares having that blow up teleport are horizontal axe and MB Overhead ball thingy. Both sides have practically no knockdown offense since its wakeup bye bye so I can see points for even. Are's unblockable can be jumped or so it seems, it doesn't seems to have the splash DD Supernova has. Heck Atlas Toropedo/Psycho Crusher seems to catch wakeup tele from Ares for me. One time I caught a MB tele and the Ares was knocked down, it was like Shazam hit his hitbox that was left where Ares teleported from (this is not a point that Shazam wins the matchup, just something interesting that happened). Both vertical swords can be consistently backdashed and Ares seems to rely too much on d1/2 (whatever he uses to start combos IDK for sure) to be effective. If he has frame traps I have yet to notice them. At the start of the match Ares can't really do much either, maybe horizontal sword? Everytime I run into an Ares though it ends up being either walk back or horizontal Axe which gets caught by b2,3 at the start of the match. However I primarily play online, and rarely faces Ares that much which skews my view on things. I would like to hear your opinion though, I like matchup threads because that is primarily how I learn matchups and tips for matchups.

shinobispectre

I think I know that range after playing Glass Sword when he was experimenting with Shazam a while back. That's also where I learned I can d1 and b2 his approach after a tele to interrupt a cmd grab.
What hits Harley out of tantrum? I don't know if you use it that and I rarely rarely ever see Harley's on XBL sadly. But b2 seems to have a weird hitbox and is the only thing I see that gets that move. Granted usually she cancels into a special but while on the ground she seems to avoid everything.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
What hits Harley out of tantrum? I don't know if you use it that and I rarely rarely ever see Harley's on XBL sadly. But b2 seems to have a weird hitbox and is the only thing I see that gets that move. Granted usually she cancels into a special but while on the ground she seems to avoid everything.
d3 will hit and AC will if a Harley is just sitting in TS, you can punish any of her other options if block any of the moves out of TS

Essentially, Shazam's options on oki are dangerous for him in this MU. A well timed empty buffer CD will blow up teleports. Torpedo/AC/HC get stuffed easily. Plus CW on the defensive has to worry about options that have a ton of exit valves (the double kick string mixup to either the AC or the HC) and torpedo (which is Full combo punishable for her on block all day). His damage output when he has her and his slight of hand in the mixup game will make things fun. However, the killer is when she has him in the corner. You + Corner + J2 = YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS! Combine that with his lack of a respectable low game outside of his very unsafe sweep and AC and life is very hard for him in this MU. @Digit, @gnarlygatoalex, and the other Shazam players on and offline that have played a high level CW will agree.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If Shazam blocks Cat Dash he gets a huge punish into great oki. Her wakeups are worse than his.

His d+2 and preemptive jump 2 are good for dealing with Catwoman's air hijinks.

Shazam doesn't need a low, his 50/50 is b+2 or command grab, which works well on her since she just plays footsies with him.

If Shazam blocks Cat Dash he gets a huge punish into great oki. Her wakeups are worse than his.

His d+2 and preemptive jump 2 are good for dealing with Catwoman's air hijinks.

Shazam doesn't need a low, his 50/50 is b+2 or command grab, which works well on her since she just plays footsies with him.
All of the above are true. However, Shazam's B2 is the overhead that either whiffs on her tiny hitbox from time to time or will be blown up on block if the string is completed or if he is read for the command grabs. Also, there is really no need for her to jump at shazam at midscreen due to the footsie game you brought up. A well timed d2 from her (as incompetent as that move can be sometimes) will keep him from thinking about j2 (or even for that matter a preemptive jump back 2 of my own.)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Plus CW on the defensive has to worry about options that have a ton of exit valves (the double kick string mixup to either the AC or the HC) and torpedo (which is Full combo punishable for her on block all day).
Catwoman can't full combo punish a close torpedo, in fact I don't thinks he can punish it at all. That's one of the best things about the matchup.

I think this matchup is evenish. Both have high damage, good oki, obnoxious air games, and good mixups.

Catwoman's upside is that her footsies are better, but Shazam has an easier time getting out of oki situations.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
All of the above are true. However, Shazam's B2 is the overhead that either whiffs on her tiny hitbox from time to time or will be blown up on block if the string is completed or if he is read for the command grabs. Also, there is really no need for her to jump at shazam at midscreen due to the footsie game you brought up. A well timed d2 from her (as incompetent as that move can be sometimes) will keep him from thinking about j2 (or even for that matter a preemptive jump back 2 of my own.)

He can do b+2~Torpedo as an unpunishable option.

If she is sitting there waiting for him to jump 2 he can play his footsies game. Her scouting jump 2 opens up b+2 and grab. If he reads jump back 2 he can blow it up.