What's new

In the Mind of a Kombo Master

Enenra

Go to hell.
What makes a kombo video so entertaining? This is what I asked kombo masters GamerBlake90 ( Sonya Blake ) and TylerLantern. Blake and I sat down and had a brief conversation, but only in the duration of the call, as Blake had no shortage of things to say and was exceptionally talented at speaking both rapidly and with purpose. While I focused entirely into deciphering the verbal gold being lavishly applied to my mortal ears, I understood what Blake was going about telling me.

A few days later Tyler and I exchanged PMs, and it became obvious why the videos are so entertaining and why these talented guys do them.

Kombo videos are so entertaining because it flushes out the viewer's favorite character. Sappy or not, we all get attached to our favorite characters. The first time I saw Rain do a 50% meterless kombo, all I could muster was, "That's my boy." Watching your favorite character be taken to the next level, seeing how you can go to the next level with them, breeds a connection. That is why watching a video of a game you could be playing at that same moment is so... Worth it and enjoyable.

We delved off into why anyone would go to the effort of making these videos. I felt a smile radiate through the phone, and Blake simply stated for the same reason we watch the video. They have undeniable talents in both creativity and execution ability, and want to see their favorite characters excel as well. Tyler agreed, back in MKvDC he got into the game because he loved MK as well DC, especially Green Lantern. Tyler even got a Green Lantern tattoo and got his name from the character. Tyler brought up the messages he would get, where fans thanked him and admitted they would never be as good as they were if not for him. This made Tyler feel like he was doing something good and helping out a whole community of people, so he kept at it until the final month before MK9 was released. After that he simply moved on to the newest game (thankfully, the first kombo I ever learned was a TylerLantern kombo). Blake and Tyler (along with the other greats such as Under_The_Mayo Check, TONY-T and ded ) fit the perfect niche of creativity and execution ability to take their favorite characters, and fan favorites, to the next level all the while knowing they are helping anyone who is a fan of this game. That, my friends, is why they do it.

There also seems to be a bit of competition between the masterminds of life bar obliteration, they always want to one up each other. Blake brought up he thought that Cyrax could not exceed 73% without a reset, but then TONY T broke the barrier and raised the bar to 76%. However, not all the masters are competitive, some simply look at the new kombos and wonder why they couldn't figure it out sooner and level up themselves and the kommunity that much faster. Looking in from the outside, I can say Blake and Tyler are all about the game and it's kommunity and less about being better than everyone else. Some others, and not to point any fingers, are there to be the best and receive the fame that comes with it. That's just fine as well, everyone likes a little notoriety.

The kombo game is born out of affection for the characters and the game, and evolves into what makes the game so great; being the best at what you do, and enjoying it all the way there. That is why the masters make the videos, and that is why we watch the videos.

Please let me know your thoughts, give me any feedback, and feel free to discusorites coupled with a desire to be the alpha player keep the videos so disgustingly entertaining, and thus the game itself.s this. Thank you so much Blake and Tyler!

Attachments

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Tyler Lantern and Sonya Blade are two of the highest MK recruiters right now. If it wasnt for their epic youtube channels and the stuff they do for the community alot of people (like me) wouldnt be here right now cause we would not have even known that the MK community even exists. These guys are bringing MK into such a big spotlight and its really awesome to see our community expand as this game becomes bigger and more popular.

Great stuff Enenra, TylerLantern, Sonya Blade

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Great post. I relate a lot to what you said pertaining to my own "science" work. Exploring a character to the deepest levels is rewarding on both sides. The work you put into it, and the effect it has for the people who also dedicate themselves to the character.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Tyler Lantern and Sonya Blade are two of the highest MK recruiters right now. If it wasnt for their epic youtube channels and the stuff they do for the community alot of people (like me) wouldnt be here right now cause we would not have even known that the MK community even exists. These guys are bringing MK into such a big spotlight and its really awesome to see our community expand as this game becomes bigger and more popular.

Great stuff Enenra, TylerLantern, Sonya Blade
Thanks man, means a lot.
Great post. I relate a lot to what you said pertaining to my own "science" work. Exploring a character to the deepest levels is rewarding on both sides. The work you put into it, and the effect it has for the people who also dedicate themselves to the character.
Thank you, means a lot coming from you. Your videos are amazing, I updated the op with a shout out to you, you definitely deserve that much. We'd be lost without players like you.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You definitely have some of the best videos out there... very helpful to others players!

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I agree. These guys are a big part of the kommunity. If it wasn't for Check and TylerLantern, I don't think I'd be at TYM as of today.

Espio

Kokomo
This was a nice post, very fun read with engaging and elegant language, I literally gush with excitement watching combo videos from the members of this community, Blake's, Mayo's, Tyler Lantern and Tony-T's are all fabulous.

It feels good seeing all these videos, especially when it comes to your mains.

Vulcan Hades doing the sickest Stryker combos or watching people like WonderedFuture posting combo videos with the most stylish music to accompany the beautiful displays.

There's so many names I didn't mention, but they're all such fabulous assets to the community, when you have someone sitting down to watch a ten minute video of just combos, you're doing something special with your talent.

Enenra bossin' it up with this post too:cool:.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Guys...let's not derail the thread, LOL.

Thanks for this thread, Enenra. Seeing posts such as yours fills me with a sense of accomplishment that I rarely ever feel. I've only been a part of this community for over two years...amazing how time flies.

There's so much more I could add here, but I think I'll wait till later to post about it. I'm a bit exhausted right now and need to be ready for my stream tonight.

You guys may be thanking me and others for our work, but really it is all of you that we should thank. If there was nobody to learn and benefit from what we do, it would all be meaningless.

Rock on! :D

Enenra

Go to hell.
I think we just established the mind of a kombo master is pretty fucked up.
I can see neither one of us can end this. I will try.

SO... Yea, kombo videos are pretty cool. I like Tyler's klimate kombat between Smoke and JC a lot.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I can see neither one of us can end this. I will try.

SO... Yea, kombo videos are pretty cool. I like Tyler's klimate kombat between Smoke and JC a lot.
Meanwhile everyone's focusing on the aftermath of the tournament and too busy to notice the ridiculousness of this thread.

yes,kombo vids are cool.

Blake lives 15 miles north of me. He's actually brilliant in his combo execution in real matches. I have been trying to lure him into the tekken community...