What's new

In-depth Sonya overview

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I hope she doesn't heavily focus on her projectile rings.

For a character that's suppose to focus on close-range, I don't want her to be zoning anyone out. I'd prefer her up close game to be on the really-really-good side or at least her having a way of punishing people trying to zone her.

Her struggling just a bit from far would be better than just giving her some zoning to deal with the zoning.

Espio

Kokomo
It's cool to hear that a lot of her non-combo launching lows appear to be safe so she isn't forced to be an all or nothing 50/50 character, which is nice. Her strings look really good especially her 3,3,3 string. I'm also glad that her turret summon input is different from the drone summon in MKX.

I'm happy arc kick is gone as I never liked that move for Sonya and the look of that move has always been odd plus dive kicks never fit her for me.

They also had something that looks like a dollar store downward bicycle kick? Not sure how I feel about that.

I think the only things I don't like about Sonya is her lack of acrobatic moves. No leg grab and cartwheel is very odd to me in regards to her. I'm really hoping if she doesn't have them that maybe Cassie has a variant of both in her move set.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I hope she doesn't heavily focus on her projectile rings.

For a character that's suppose to focus on close-range, I don't want her to be zoning anyone out. I'd prefer her up close game to be on the really-really-good side or at least her having a way of punishing people trying to zone her.

Her struggling just a bit from far would be better than just giving her some zoning to deal with the zoning.
I dunno... you remember her little drone? Couple that with her air projectiles and she could have a pretty nasty zoning game.

I guess the caveat to that being it wouldn’t last forever since her drone doesn’t, but still, mentally prepare yourself haha

She looks so fun to play, and it's very frustrating because we still have to wait two months to play the game !

The parry is sick, I hope it's better than the Covert Ops one, and now she has a low parry, thank you, I needed this one. The non-enhanced parry in Covert Ops is high risk-medium reward, it's almost useless in MKX. Also, why does the krushing blow with the amplified energy ring deals 290.00 damage when the parry with krushing blow only deals 210.00 ? The parry is a higher risk, so the reward should be greater than a safer fullscreen amplified move. They should give the damage of the energy ring krushing blow to the parry, it makes more sense.

The drone looks so fun to use, and less restrictive that the one in the Special Forces variation in MKX. RIP the arc kick, but the new soaring kick seems useful against zoners, I like it.

I really hope she keeps her f2 from MKX, I always use it. But NRS, where is the leg grab ? It's Sonya's signature move, it's like Kano's ball, Scorpion's spear or Raiden's Electric Fly, you just can't forget about it !

Also I still don't understand if the variations like "Duck & Cover" are the default variations or just exemples of custom variations.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
She looked much better in MK9.
I mean, she was OP AF in MK9. I think she seems more balanced this time, and it shows how she is more experienced in her military training - and she sounds way more cocky too.

Thanks for the video, I'll check it out. If Cassie isn't in the beta, I'm definitely going for Sonya.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
She looks fun. It looks like most of her damage and gameplay is going to revolve around rushdown and mixup. She doesn't have a weapon, so I assume she's going to feel a bit stubby compared to some of the other characters. Her zoning seems more designed to counter an opponents zoning, or to entice them to try and come in more to her range, then as a true keep away zoner.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
She looks fun. It looks like most of her damage and gameplay is going to revolve around rushdown and mixup. She doesn't have a weapon, so I assume she's going to feel a bit stubby compared to some of the other characters. Her zoning seems more designed to counter an opponents zoning, or to entice them to try and come in more to her range, then as a true keep away zoner.
Yep, especially with that KB with her energy rings will maybe deter some people from zoning her out.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
They seem to still be shooting for variation moves to ideally allow any character to be played with any playstyle. I love that. If two people really really like Sonya but one prefers an in your face rushdown style and the other is more comfortable with keep away zoning strategies then they are both covered and good to go. Less credibility to the "you are Sonya-ing wrong", lol.

Dedlock

Noob
Looking forward to this Sonya ,

First of all I'm glad theyve beefed up her sonic energy rings , it's been a long time coming and I'm glad we finally have more options with projectiles.

Her combos look smooth although shortened, but what's key is how they'll come into play.

Her aerial game has been beefed up, which is good news. And that mini downward bicycle kick looks like a disguised dive kick.

Ok now the concerns

I'm hoping the final game will have Sonya's classic moves

Leg grab ,?
Bicycle kick
khartwheel or reverse khartwheel.
A chain throw
Military Stance